Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
funkle
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer X-Touch Mini Rotary Encoders in MIDI mode not being 'learned'

Hey all

I bought an X-Touch Mini so I could use it in MIDI mode (not MCU) and use the learn function in Reaper to directly control synth parameter etc with the rotary encoders.

The usefulness seems variable/unpredictable with different plugins.

In Battery 4, if I tell Battery to use host automation and then use Reaper's learn function to directly control e.g. cutoff frequency of EQ on the drum master bus, it appears to 'learn' it, but I cannot control the software knob by turning the encoder it is mapped to subsequently.

If I try and tell Battery 4 to learn the MIDI CC directly using its own midi mapping, it doesn't work either.

I can tell Reaper is picking up the messages being sent from the controller in both cases - the 'learn' pop-up in Repaer (when I right click the 'param' button in the plugin menu) tells me it is mapping it to e.g. MIDI Channel 11, CC3, when I use it. However turning the Behringer encoder subsequently does nothing in the plugin.

In NI's Phasis, using 'learn' in the plugin 'param' right click menu, in the same way I tried above, doesn't seem to do much either. The learn pop-up says it's mapping it to an encoder as above, but turning the encoder subsequently does nothing.

It seems to work a little better on some Waves plugins. Some.

As background, I have the X-Touch Mini set up as MIDI mode, transmitting on global channel 1, Device ID 1. In Reaper, the X-Touch Mini is set up under Midi Devices as 'Control Only'.

I think I'm doing it wrong. Anyone able to tell a relative noob how?

Thanks.

Pete
funkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
funkle

As an aside, all the buttons on the unit are straightforwardly mapped and work well.

I've mapped some to actions I want - turning off/on monitoring fx, mono/stereo on master bus, turning metronome off/on, and bringing up the fx window of the currently selected track no name a few. I've also mapped the fader to control volume of whatever track is currently selected.

So the rest of the unit works as I'd like. Just not the encoders!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
azslow3

Encoders have 2 modes:
* one is absolute, so it sends values from min to max, as simple knob
* another is what encoder really is, it sends the direction of turning and the speed (f.e. 1- right, 2- also right but a bit faster)

You can specify the mode in the X-Touch Editor, "Encoders" tab, lower part. By clicking on "MIN VALUE" for an encoder and changing it into "Relative 1...3" for the second behavior. Or setting it to 0 and setting max to 127 for the first.

REAPER can work with Relative changes (some plug-ins also). You need to set the mode in the learning dialog. Note that "Relative 1...3" in REAPER can be different from "Relative 1...3" in the Editor, try different combinations (I do not have the device to check).

Many plug-ins do not support MIDI learning in Relative mode. You can use "A"/"B" layers, so you have 2 sets, one relative and one absolute. Alternatively, you can use automated parameters in REAPER for such plug-ins.

Relative mode is more useful. The encoder is always "in sync" with current parameter value. Also the resolution of Behringer encoders is not high, as knobs they work worse then a normal knobs.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
airon

Grab the X-Touch editor from the manufacturers website.

You can then use the two files I included in the ZIP file that is attached to this post. They turn the encoders in to relative encoders.

In Reaper I then use the encoders in RELATIVE 1 mode.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1531391130
Attached Files
File Type: zip X-TOUCH_Mini_relative_encoders.zip (494 Bytes, 392 views)
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #5
Tiggerdyret

The relative 1-3 modes correspond to 1-3 in Reapers midi learn drop down tab. I have tried all 3 and they seem to do the exact same thing.
I'm highjacking a bit, but is there any way to change the speed of the encoders? Either in Reaper or the X-Touch editor.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 07-12-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
funkle

Thanks chaps. I’ll check what mode I have the encoders in when I get home. I’ve used the editor software for the X-Touch Mini a few times now to play with it swapping between MCU and MIDI modes, so I’ll crack it open again. Airon I’ll download that file.

I’ve been mapping everything as ‘absolute’ as opposed to ‘relative’. I’ll play with that as well. Will repost after some experimentation.

And yeah. I’ve noticed the encoders aren’t great as knobs..not very sensitive and I can’t find a way to up the sensitivity/granularity. It’s a shame. They’re kind of why I bought it! Perhaps a Midi Twister might be a consideration at some point. I just want knobs for control of FX and softsynths, really.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
funkle

Well, no dice so far with Battery.

I downloaded those mappings Airon and loaded them into the X Touch Mini. Then went to Reaper and tried midi learn in Relative 1 mode for filter cutoff in the master EQ in Battery 4.....no joy, sadly. Tried the other Relative modes and no joy there either.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
funkle

I also just tried it with ReaEQ and one of the EQ band centers there. It wouldn't let me midi learn/map that to an encoder either.

Have I done something incorrectly in the Midi Device Preferences? It's set as control only....
Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
airon

I just tested the following successfully.

Knob set to RELATIVE 2 , Channel 11 , CC 0

Reaper LEARN of ReaEQ lowpass frequency to RELATIVE 2, enable only when effect configuration focused

That way, the ReaEQ window has to be in focus for it to work. If you want to operate on selected tracks instead(and not have to see ReaEQ), use "Enable only when track or item is selected".
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
funkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I just tested the following successfully.

Knob set to RELATIVE 2 , Channel 11 , CC 0

Reaper LEARN of ReaEQ lowpass frequency to RELATIVE 2, enable only when effect configuration focused

That way, the ReaEQ window has to be in focus for it to work. If you want to operate on selected tracks instead(and not have to see ReaEQ), use "Enable only when track or item is selected".
I'm aware of those settings. I left them unticked so that I could fiddle with the filter EQ no matter whether the effect was focused or the track selected.

EDIT: I just tried again after restarting Reaper. It now works mapping to an EQ band in ReaEQ. But not Battery. I guess it's just NI's stuff, for whatever reason, doesn't want to play. It's weird. I can see the parameters for cutoff frequency and resonance in the track envelopes/automation and you'd think I could map them to the encoders once I can see them there, but no joy.

Last edited by funkle; 07-12-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
rednewt74

Default using files

Where/how do you install the files from the zip file?
rednewt74 is offline   Reply With Quote