Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #121
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks! It seems to happen on any right click menu if it's near the right edge of the monitor.
Ah I think I figured it out without testing -- I pushed a fix to the public WDL, you can test it out by compiling libSwell, or you can wait for 5.96rc2
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #122
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah I think I figured it out without testing -- I pushed a fix to the public WDL, you can test it out by compiling libSwell, or you can wait for 5.96rc2
Very cool, thanks!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #123
alextone

Quote:
No, this is controlled in swell-menu-generic probably. I'll see if I can set up multimonitor on one of my linux machines to see if I can improve that behavior.
"one of my machines...."

Congratulations, you're a nerd.

Next you'll be rockin' 3 generators.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #124
Glennbo

I think this one is a legitimate bug.

While preparing to add automation on a track with more than a page full of entries, I'm unable to grab the scroll bar at the bottom of the window to scroll right and see more automation entries.

I then noticed that the scroll bar was lighting up when I hovered about a quarter of an inch higher than pointing at the scroll bar, so I tried grabbing it there and it worked.

I thought it might be theme related, so I switched to the default theme, and it still exhibits the same behavior.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #125
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I think this one is a legitimate bug.

While preparing to add automation on a track with more than a page full of entries, I'm unable to grab the scroll bar at the bottom of the window to scroll right and see more automation entries.

I then noticed that the scroll bar was lighting up when I hovered about a quarter of an inch higher than pointing at the scroll bar, so I tried grabbing it there and it worked.

I thought it might be theme related, so I switched to the default theme, and it still exhibits the same behavior.
Cool thanks I'll look into this!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #126
monty

@Glennbo
may I ask which theme you have installed?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #127
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
@Glennbo
may I ask which theme you have installed?
For REAPER I'm using LCS-Mod-Short-Dark.

For Xubuntu I'm using the style Adwaita-dark along with Ubuntu-Mono-Dark icons, but it doesn't have any effect on REAPER, just keeps the dark look in sync.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #128
Lokasenna

Unless I'm having a brain fart, script/effect windows on Linux aren't dockable via their title bars.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #129
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
It won't show up in my plugin list. I opened reaper-vstplugins64.ini and this is what I got for its entry:

Signalizer.so=005923C58FFFD201
That means that it could not load the plug-in. It might be helpful to remove that line, run REAPER from a terminal, and see if it prints any relevant output when scanning the plug-in.

I tried loading the plug-in, and on the first scan it reported:[code
swell: dlopen() failed: /home/deadbeef/.vst/sig/Signalizer.so: undefined symbol: glDrawArrays
[/code]
The cause of this is that the plug-in needs to be linked with -lGL, and was not (it assumes the host preloads GL). So, I edited reaper-vstplugins64.ini, removed that line, then ran REAPER using:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so ./reaper
(that path may vary on your system)

and lo and behold, the plug-in works. Maybe you can email the author and see if they'll add -lGL to the link line?

Or, if you want to workaround, you could make a tiny reaper plug-in which handles preloading libGL.so. Go to ~/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/, make a file called "reaper_glpreload.c" with this contents:
Code:
#include <dlfcn.h>
int ReaperPluginEntry(void *hInstance, void *rec)
{
  return rec && dlopen("libGL.so",RTLD_GLOBAL|RTLD_LAZY);
}
(if on debian/ubuntu, you might need to run as root:
Code:
apt-get install build-essential
)

Then run:
Code:
gcc -o reaper_glpreload.so -shared reaper_glpreload.c

Last edited by Justin; 10-09-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #130
Glennbo

Quote:
This is using ALSA with blocksize 256 (3 buffers) and even with blocksize 512.

I tried with PulseAudio but I can't get it to do the same thing. That could be due to the fact PulseAudio has a lot more latency (even though it reports very low latency, it must have another component to the total latency that Reaper doesn't "see").
I see MUCH better performance in REAPER using Jack audio than ALSA.

With both ALSA and Jack set for 44.1k, 64 samples latency, 2 periods, and a priority of 80, my most recent project, which is a big stress test in itself, will play without artifacts using Jack, but makes sputtery sounds during playback using the same settings using ALSA. It even makes occasional pops and clicks while not playing if I stop it after getting some while playing. I'm letting REAPER start Jack with the custom command.

/usr/bin/jackd -P80 -dalsa -dhw:M2496 -r44100 -p64 -n2 -Xseq

I just re-tested to confirm and Jack will play the song without issue, where ALSA gets about a minute in and starts frazzing out.

Likely different setups and soundcards will get different results, but in my case Jack is MUCH more efficient with a pair of Delta 2496 PCI cards and a 2.66Ghz i5.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #131
Glennbo

Quote:
Isn't JACK a sound server that uses ALSA, and not an audio driver in itself? I thought I had this stuff figured out. Ugh. Information about this is so inconsistent.

I had no plans to use JACK, if it weren't an audio driver. I won't be "connecting" synths etc. to/from Reaper, so I thought I didn't need JACK.
From what I understand, Jack is just an audio sound server. From within Qjackctrl (the gui interface for Jack), I can select ALSA, PortAudio, CoreAudio, and a bunch of other "drivers" for Jack to use.

I don't know why I see very different results, but they are consistent. Maybe one honors the priority and the other doesn't, even though I have them both supposedly set identically.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #132
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Here's a new one: when using ALSA audio and realtime xruns happen, they don't "settle down" and fix themselves. The realtime xruns keep going even when the CPU settles down again (when plugins are removed/turned off/etc.) This doesn't happen in Windows.
Ah, I think I know why. The next build (tomorrow) of 5.96+dev1011 will have a change that might help this!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #133
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks! After that I'll test it again...and then I'll ask Glennbo if he can compare ALSA to JACK too.
I wanted to switch to ALSA for the same reason as you. Less stuff in the pipeline, and initially it was only the fact that I couldn't get midi happening using ALSA, which I believe I could fix, but then once I had some demanding projects to test with, the difference in audio performance kept me from trying to fix the midi issue.

If I can get the same level of audio performance with ALSA as I get with Jack, I'll spend the time to figure out what is making ALSA think all three of my midi interfaces are in use, when they are not.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #134
JamesPeters

Give the new build a test! It's working pretty great here. With ALSA I'm getting equivalent performance to my prior x64 Windows (ASIO) system (and possibly better). Realtime xruns "calm themselves down" if the CPU spikes too. (No media xruns, so no problem in general, but when the realtime xruns happened and wouldn't stop...lol...ugh...)

This is definitely better performance than in Windows 7 x64! My prior "stress test" was to load ReaPitch (default settings), as many instances as possible across a few tracks, and play audio on them. My record was 38 instances of ReaPitch without any audible dropouts. Now although I may get a few realtime xruns (dropouts) when loading all the plugins, they stop and my system is stable while running 55 instances at the same latency (same audio card, same CPU, same MB, etc.) I can adjust track settings, mute/solo, pan, etc. and it works stably. It's a really noticeable performance boost compared to Windows.

I also tested Reaper with JACK talking to ALSA. The performance is approximately the same as using JACK talking to ALSA (when using the same blocksize/numbers/samplerate). The only difference is that the output latency figure is a bit larger when using JACK.

Oh, and I'm not running a realtime kernel! lol. All I did was set the CPU frequency scaling to always be at 100% (same thing that Windows users should be doing, setting their CPU to full frequency in the "power profile" of control panel). Also I left the priority for the audio device at the default of 50. Basically this is a normal setup.

And that prior Windows x64 "stress test" was done prior to the half-assed spectre/meltdown patches (one of which did affect my system performance noticeably especially if I left Chrome open, which I also did in this test on Linux). And this version of Linux has its spectre/meltdown patches.

To be completely fair: I'm not sure if I could've made my prior Windows system perform any better because I didn't do any "hacky" tweaks to it. So maybe I could've milked it somewhat. And maybe Windows 10 would've been better.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #135
Glennbo

I didn't fare as well as you. I posted a link to the result of my new test in the ALSA/JACK thread. In my test though, there are audio tracks, midi tracks, bridged Windows plugins, and native Linux plugins, so having all those additional variables might be coming into play. I am running the low latency kernel, and have elevated permissions for priority and memory.

EDIT:

Turns out on my interface, using 2 periods with JACK does not produce the same latency as 2 periods with ALSA.

2 periods with JACK = 1.4/2.9ms
2 periods with ALSA = 1.4/1.4ms

After setting ALSA for 3 periods I get 1.4/2.9 and the performance is similar to JACK.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-15-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #136
TonE

Default Reaper 32 bit in wine, in ubuntu 64 bit, lua script window, docking not possible

It is a wine related bug of 32 bit win version. But still related to linux, so I am posting here.

It would be cool if we could dock lua scripts like hackey trackey and hackey patterns in wine in ubuntu.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #137
Lokasenna

- Messages printed to the console are consistently being scrolled down so only the last four-ish lines are visible, even if there isn't actually enough content to need it scrolled.

- Context cursors keep getting "stuck" on, notably if the mouse is over something with a context cursor and then moves into a script window.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 10-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #138
monty

Default Control Surface issue w/ fader positions when open 24ch project

There is a problem with my US-2400 Control Surface and the Reaper linux version ...
If i open a project with 24 tracks, then not all motorfaders will move up to the stored position or they stay at the bottom.
So I have to minimize Reaper or open another app window, then Reaper set all tracks offline and when I activate /select the Reaper window again, all faders are started up - seems it require a short offline period when starting Reaper for linux ...
the problem does not occur with WIN10, the surface is set up correctly.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #139
Klang

Hi, thanks for porting reaper to linux.

A strange thing happen when i load windows vst microtonic through airwave. I create a midi item on the track with microtonic, open it, and the keyboard keys start looking really weird, see linked screenshots. Only midi items on same track as microtonic are affected.

Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #140
JamesPeters

I just looked up what airwave is. Seems it has some bugs and the author hasn't been posting on the linux musicians forum for months. This is more likely a bug in that software and not in Reaper.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM   #141
nickstomp

Default Video Window fullscreen only on the main screen

Hi

first of all I love you guys to bringing reaper to linux!!!

finally I can fully record and use linux for audio production!!!

I have only one small issue

I was trying to setup reaper to send video on an external projector to show it during live show (and maybe send some midi automation as well?)

The problem is that the video window can only fullscreen on the same screen where reaper is (I cannot go fullscreen on one monitor and see reaper on the other)

Can you help me?
Many thanks
Nick
nickstomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #142
clepsydrae

Perhaps a developer will have something to say about that, but generally speaking: on most linux window managers you can move windows around (even full-screen windows) using some combination of hotkeys...

The default "meta" or "super" key for most linux distros is Alt, but many of us change that to be the "Windows" key because of the numerous Alt shortcuts that that interferes with.

So, e.g. for me in Kubuntu, once a window is full screen I can Windows-left-mouse-button-drag to move the full screen window to any monitor I want and it just snaps in to place.

I haven't tested this with Reaper's video window, but it works with most full screen windows. Generally, as i understand it, the application just tells the window manager something along the lines of "make a new full screen window on screen X", and once it's there, you can move it wherever you want. It's just that the GUI elements to move full screen windows around are invisible, so you have to use the above-described tricks.

Assuming you're not on Kubuntu, google around to find out what the magic keys are for your distribution. E.g. search terms "window manager hotkey to move windows on kubuntu".
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #143
Klang

Is it possible to sandbox vsts in reaper linux? I saw this thread explaining how to do it in windows, but cannot find the option.
Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #144
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klang View Post
Is it possible to sandbox vsts in reaper linux? I saw this thread explaining how to do it in windows, but cannot find the option.
Not yet, no
Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #145
reddiesel41264

Default gfx.showmenu

I have a few lua scripts that use gfx.showmenu. They worked perfectly on Windows but don't work on Linux Mint. When I run the action to display the menu nothing happens.

Here's a small test I wrote that doesn't work either.

Code:
gfx.init("Test", 1, 1)

gfx.x = gfx.mouse_x
gfx.y = gfx.mouse_y

input = gfx.showmenu("item1|item2|item3|item4|item5")

gfx.quit()
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #146
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
I have a few lua scripts that use gfx.showmenu. They worked perfectly on Windows but don't work on Linux Mint. When I run the action to display the menu nothing happens.

Here's a small test I wrote that doesn't work either.

Code:
gfx.init("Test", 1, 1)

gfx.x = gfx.mouse_x
gfx.y = gfx.mouse_y

input = gfx.showmenu("item1|item2|item3|item4|item5")

gfx.quit()
I can confirm that it doesn't work here either (Ubuntu Studio, XFCE). In fact, after a couple of tries I can't get a simple script like that to do much of anything at all.

I haven't noticed any trouble with menus in my own scripts, but that may have something to do with them having persistent windows rather than just a quick open+close. However, I tried making your test script stay open and that didn't improve the menu situation.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #147
Justin
Administrator

Thanks... this one is a bit tricky. If you want to go to the GDK_FOCUS_CHANGE handler in swell/swell-generic-gdk.cpp, you can try commenting out the "DestroyPopupMenus();" line, which fixes. But that might have some less than ideal side effects (menus not getting destroyed immediately when switching to other applications, perhaps?)... Give that a test and report back here.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #148
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Thanks... this one is a bit tricky. If you want to go to the GDK_FOCUS_CHANGE handler in swell/swell-generic-gdk.cpp, you can try commenting out the "DestroyPopupMenus();" line, which fixes. But that might have some less than ideal side effects (menus not getting destroyed immediately when switching to other applications, perhaps?)... Give that a test and report back here.
Thanks for the tip. I just tested this. The result is the menu now pops up but then disappears. I also tried it with another script that has a more complex, multi-level menu, what I found was the menu would popup and disappear as before but if I'm quick I can move the cursor over one of the top level menus and the popup remains.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #149
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I just tested this. The result is the menu now pops up but then disappears. I also tried it with another script that has a more complex, multi-level menu, what I found was the menu would popup and disappear as before but if I'm quick I can move the cursor over one of the top level menus and the popup remains.

Does it fix if you change the code to be:
Code:
gfx.x = gfx.mouse_x-4
gfx.y = gfx.mouse_y-4
Old 11-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #150
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Does it fix if you change the code to be:
Code:
gfx.x = gfx.mouse_x-4
gfx.y = gfx.mouse_y-4
Unfortunately not. I tried all the way to -25.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #151
Justin
Administrator

Ah I hadn't tried assigning it to a toolbar button, maybe it's getting the tail end of the mouseup or something. looking into it.

Edit: pushed another fix to WDL, try that!

Last edited by Justin; 11-05-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #152
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Ah I hadn't tried assigning it to a toolbar button, maybe it's getting the tail end of the mouseup or something. looking into it.

Edit: pushed another fix to WDL, try that!
That seems to have fixed it! Thank you!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #153
Justin
Administrator

It's a bit of a hack but hopefully good enough!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #154
lilith93

I don't know if this is a new issue. Yesterday I realized that the GUI is a little bit glitchy (vertical black lines in the items) sometimes when moving items very fast, also in the midi editor when e.g. scrolling. The playhead when zoomed in also looks glitchy. It's not a big issue and I prefer stable audio compared to stable graphics. Acutally I cannot screenshot it. Just wonder if anybody else observed that. I'm using V5.961.

edit: I think it's a problem of my system in general. Never realized it.

Last edited by lilith93; 11-08-2018 at 03:47 PM.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #155
JamesPeters

Are you running a compositor? I had to enable Compton and also switch to the Intel driver from the default "modsetting" driver, to resolve some screen tear issues and also "glitchy looking stuff" when quickly moving a window around on the screen (or scrolling quickly in a browser).
Old 11-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #156
lilith93

Quote:
Are you running a compositor? I had to enable Compton and also switch to the Intel driver from the default "modsetting" driver, to resolve some screen tear issues and also "glitchy looking stuff" when quickly moving a window around on the screen (or scrolling quickly in a browser).
That's a good point !! My Desktop freezed 3 weeks ago and I deactivated the compositor in the XFCE. I check tomorrow if it's better with it.Really strange that I realized it yesterday for the first time. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #157
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
That's a good point !! My Desktop freezed 3 weeks ago and I deactivated the compositor in the XFCE. I check tomorrow if it's better with it.Really strange that I realized it yesterday for the first time. Thanks!
That was exactly the reason! When I activate composite again it looks much better.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #158
JamesPeters

Excellent!

MX Linux installs by default without a compositor enabled. Things seemed okay but I would have the odd freeze which lasted for maybe a second, and some video players showed a bit of screen tear. So then I just had to learn what a compositor was. Plus also why most were recommending Compton over xfwm. I was initially using xfwm. It seemed fine but there was still a screen tear issue with some videos. Also I chose to use the Intel graphics driver for my Intel onboard GPU, which finally resolved all my issues.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #159
pdbq

I'm using Reaper 5.961

I have 2 midi tracks, one with EZDrummer (via linvst) and the other with Plogue SForzando & Karoryfer Meatbass.

When I hit stop, the drums & playhead stop but sforzando keeps playing right along. If I hit the "Go to Start" button, it stops playing.

It's very specific to sforzando, hasn't happened with any other VSTi. I did a google search for "sforzando keeps playing" & didn't turn up anything that looks like a hit, so I figured I'd post it here.

Thanks!
pdbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #160
lilith93

I'm using also REAPER 5.961. I bought the Overtone plugins and they work fine with Ardour. Currently I have a REAPER project where Overtone plugins crash REAPER sometimes. This is what I see, when I start REAPER in the terminal:

Code:
./reaper
jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 74
jack: activated client
Error opening file /home/marco/.lv2/.harrison_version.txt/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///home/marco/.lv2/.harrison_version.txt/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///home/marco/.lv2/.harrison_version.txt/manifest.ttl

(reaper:4277): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_user_time called on non-toplevel

(reaper:4277): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_user_time called on non-toplevel

ACMT-UI: UI dpi 96
ACMT-UI: UI scale 100.0 %
Gdk-Message: reaper: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

marco@fox:~/opt/REAPER$
Code:
Gdk-Message: reaper: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
and then it crashes.

--------------------------
Debian Stretch
Desktop XFCE

Last edited by lilith93; 11-14-2018 at 09:09 AM.