Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
fdos
Human being with feelings

Default Sennheiser 6XX (650) or 5xx (580) for mixing?

Yes, yes, yes I know I should be mixing on my monitors. I do that already (HS7s) but looking for a pair of cans to pair with the monitors. Main use will be mixing as well as setting up guitar tones for my AX8.

I already have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40 but seeking thoughts on the Sennheiser 6xx (650) or 58X (580) from massdrop. I have read that the 600s are better than 650 as they are more flat. I have also read that the 600s are very close to the 580s. Based on that I am leaning towards the 58X plus they are cheaper.

Anyone who has either/or both, would appreciate your thoughts on these.

Thanks.
fdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
mplay

Never heard of massdrop but it looks interesting. $150 for the 58x and $200 for the 6xx are great prices.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
fdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplay View Post
Never heard of massdrop but it looks interesting. $150 for the 58x and $200 for the 6xx are great prices.
The way massdrop works is that they take your order and then bulk order their own manufactured versions of these headphones (in collaboration with Sennheiser or whatever brand in question). What that means is that there is typically a few months wait. However, in the case of these two headphones because they got so popular they ordered them ahead of time and they can ship it within a day.

Yes the price on these is great but I can only buy one which is why I am wondering if anyone has experience with a 580 or 650 for mixing.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
EpicSounds

just got my 6xx in the mail the other day after the postal system lost my first set in October. Haven't mixed in them yet but they sound really nice. Edited dialog with them for a video. The fit is tight but pretty comfortable.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
mplay

Just confirmed with a friend, he uses the hd 650 and his mixes translate well. Might order the 6xx as a Christmas present to myself
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
cassembler

650s are the best headphones I've ever used. (Since I typically work in a terrible acoustic space, I figure at least removing those from the equation is a good thing.)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdos View Post
I have also read that the 600s are very close to the 580s. Based on that I am leaning towards the 58X plus they are cheaper.
Yes, we have both in our studio. And you're right: They are very
close and very analytic.

The HD600 is slightly more analytic and a little clearer. In the stereo-
panorame you can hear the instruments position a little better. It's also
slightly tauter in the bass. But these differences are really small.

Both, HD600 and HD580, are awesome. The best would be if you had
a chance to listen both and thereafter decide whether the higher
price of the HD600 precious enough or not. I don't know ... but -
yeah - I would go for the HD600.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
fdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Yes, we have both in our studio. And you're right: They are very
close and very analytic.

The HD600 is slightly more analytic and a little clearer. In the stereo-
panorame you can hear the instruments position a little better. It's also
slightly tauter in the bass. But these differences are really small.

Both, HD600 and HD580, are awesome. The best would be if you had
a chance to listen both and thereafter decide whether the higher
price of the HD600 precious enough or not. I don't know ... but -
yeah - I would go for the HD600.
Unfortunately, since 600 are way too expensive, I am trying to decide between the 580 and 650 from massdrop. Any thoughts on comparing these two? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
mikeroephonics

I own the HD600 and HD650. I prefer the HD600 because it has better low bass definition and clearer treble. The HD650 has relaxed bass, but more low-mid boost (warmth.) The HD650 also has reduced treble clarity.

I also use Sonarworks Reference 3 headphone plug-in on REAPER's [Monitor FX] slot. It has presets for the HD600/650 as well as many other headphones. This plug-in helps flatten the frequency response of a given headphone model by creating an inverse EQ curve of that headphone. So the treble boosts of the HD600 are cancelled out by a negative EQ curve (cut) at those frequencies.

I prefer open headphones such as the HD600/650 because it's easier on my ears, due to them being open. They're also very comfortable. The padding is soft and can be washed with laundry detergent by hand or replaced. It lets your ears breathe better than closed headphones, which creates a little bit too much pressure.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #10
ivansc

I have the 650s after auditioning 600s and several others. To be frank I would think of headphones more in terms of listening rather than trying to use them for mixing analysis.

I went for the 650s mainly because they DO sound slightly more "hifi" than the 600s, although still well into monitoring territory.

Someone else mentioned that mixes that sound good in the 650s translate really well to the average listeners setup - from earbuds to olde worlde stereos, I would agree with that.

All that said, my go-to headphones are still my AKG Df240s I bought in the early 1980s!

I am just so used to them. Also amazed that even the foam and leather ofd the earmuffs are still in great shape 30 years on... but I dont like the latest version as much.