Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 AM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility: focus bug when hiding/showing filter window in MIDI editor

Hi,

In the MIDI editor, when you run the action "Filter: Show/hide filter window...", the newly shown filter window doesn't grab keyboard focus. This is a pain if you're using Reaper with screen reader software, triggering the action via a control surface or you're a keyboard warrior, because some level of mouse interaction is required to force focus to the filter window.

Two potential fixes spring to mind:

1. Could the filter window grab focus when shown (this seems like it'd bring the UX in line with the majority of other show/hide window functions)?

2. If that'd be too disruptive, can we get an separate action for screen reader/surface/keyboard users that takes care of focus in addition to showing/hiding?

Thanks in advance. As always, shout if you need more detail.
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
azslow3

I have observed that all floating windows are prone to loose focus. There are still "hanging around", but I have not found a way to focus them without a mouse.

May be a future request for OSARA, in case REAPER devs will not fix.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
blindwiz

Yes. This would be awesome. Maybe it being unable to focus properly causes sluggishness when making changes with the keyboard.
blindwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I have not found a way to focus them without a mouse.
Using NVDA, you can object nav into the floating window and simulate a mouse click to force focus there. The JAWS cursor can also reach it. Dunno what VoiceOver users have to do - their workflow would be similar-ish to NVDA seeing as VO uses an object based navigation model. In all cases though, it's an unproductive workflow (tons of button bashing) and it's a hard one to teach to the newbies I support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
May be a future request for OSARA, in case REAPER devs will not fix.
Jamie (OSARA developer) was the first person to be asked, but he's super busy with real life at the moment (new kid/new job) so there aren't gonna be OSARA updates for a while unless we can find another developer to contribute to the project.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
azslow3

I have managed to focus the window as you describe, thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
azslow3

Till REAPER devs fix the problem or OSARA devs make official change, here is OSARA mod from me which fix the issue:
http://www.azslow.com/index.php?acti...downfile&id=67

Note: Windows and English only.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Scottsdale

Just took this for a spin. Your fix works reliably when the filter window is opened from within the piano roll view, but not from within the event list.

Even so, this is killer, thanks!

Two questions:

1) Are you happy for me to distribute this to other blind folks for wider testing?

2) What would you need to get the fix working on Mac? I'm not a Mac user anymore, but I know a guy who is. I could connect you two or help collect info.

Thanks again man. It's hugely exciting to see someone starting to contribute to OSARA!

Last edited by Scottsdale; 10-28-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
azslow3

Sorry, I have overseen that the filter can be opened from 2 different shortcut sections by 2 different actions in each.
I have uploaded 1p1 which should focus from all these actions. The link is the same.

OSARA is GPLv2 licensed project. I am unable to restrict what you can do with my mod nor hide the mod source. The source is in my fork from OSARA on GitHub.

I do not have and I never had Apple. I have marked relevant part as Win32. SWELL has no implementation for the Windows function I use, but it has other which probably can work. I am sure OSX programmer is able to find the replacement, but it is not just re-compiling.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Scottsdale

Just tried 1p1, and it works beautifully here (I also learned that OSARA doesn't currently have a key assigned to open the filter window from the events list - oops!)

Huge thanks for getting this to happen. I'll shoot the link out to other folks tomorrow.