Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Video Playback and Exporting

-update- 2021.01.06

The most up to date information on video playback and export is always available in

Video Playback with Reaper

The easiest thing to do is to install the Video Lan Client player. It will enable Reaper to play almost any video file out there.
  • VLC
    A free, open source player that Windows and MacOS users can download the latest version (v3.0.8 as of 7.11.2019) at this location.
    http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

Get the version for your operating system.

MacOS users just grab and install the most recent version of VLC. Reaper will find it and use it for video playback by default. If not, check the Video preference page.

Windows users need to download the 32-bit version of VLC if they're using the 32-bit version of Reaper and the 64-bit version of VLC if they're using the 64-bit version of Reaper.

You can always check what Reaper is currently using to play a video by checking the Source Properties of the video item in either the context menu of the item, or via the default shortcut , which is CTRL+F2 on Windows.

Reaper can use different playback engines for different filetypes. Refer to the Section 20 of the manual on how to do this.

Video Playback & Export
Reaper comes with a small free FFMPEG library that can produce videos with free codecs, but you can add other codecs by downloading and installing one of the large FFMPEG libraries for your system (Windows or OSX, no idea about Linux yet).

Those downloadable libraries are not produced or maintained by Cockos and cannot be distibuted by Cockos with Reaper due to licensing restrictions.

The free FFMPEG library included with Reaper can encode the following formats :
  • AVI container
    • DV video codec (not recommended
    • FFV1 video codec (lossless)
    • Huffyuv video codec (lossless)
    • 16, 24 or 32-bit PCM audio
  • MKV container
    • FFV1 video codec (lossless)
    • Huffyuv video codec (lossless)
    • 16, 24 or 32-bit PCM audio

Exporing to non-free formats like H264 in MP4 containers
MP4 video files use AAC audio content. Many folkes use that when uploading to Youtube. Reapers video encoding speed is limited, unless you're using MacOS and the AVFoundation encoder.

For everyone else, it's easier to export to a free lossless format and then transcode that with the highly effective and fast free tool Handbrake.

Target format : MP4 container with H264 video and AAC audio

How to get there : Render lossless video and audio in Reaper and encode final MP4 with the free tool Handbrake.

Get Handbrake here for Windows or OSX : http://handbrake.fr
It comes with many encoding presets for devices and online video sites.

First, render your video with the following settings in Reaper :
MKV container, HUFFYUV video codec, 24 bit PCM audio
This will produce a rather large file. Check your video dimensions and frame rate before starting the render, so they match the source video in your timeline. The small arrow box on the right lets you pick various resolutions, frame rates or the resolution and frame rate of the source video.

Now use that resulting file as a source video in Handbrake, pick your preset and where Handbrake should save your video, and off you go.
Why go with the free codecs out of Reaper ?
Handbrake and other video encoding applications offer much better control over the target format. You produce an excellent source with Reaper and use the best video encoding applications to produce your desired results. You don't get that kind of control in Reaper(yet).
Replacing an audio track in a video
It is possible for most video formats.

For Quicktime, use the Quicktime Pro player.

MKV files, try the MKVtoolnix package.

MP4 files, try the MP4box frontend YAMB since it can demux and mux video and audio streams in to a new MP4 file.

In Reaper render the audio, perhaps encode it to AAC audio with Neros AAC encoder(Tips for Neros AAC Encoder) or ITunes for example and then use one of the tools above to remove the original soundtrack and add the new one.

This produces a video file without transcoding the video.

Stay tuned for news on this, and do not hesitate to post anything to this thread that YOU know about replacing soundtracks in videos.

Expand the encoding capabilities by installing a more complete FFMPEG library from an external source

Windows x86 and x64
FFMPEG libraries builds:

Visit https://ffmpeg.org/

Visit the Reaper Wiki page for more details on downloading and installing these libraries for the Windows version of Reaper.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...MPEG_libraries

For MacOS, you'll need to find compiled FFMPEG libraries yourself for now.

Once you have them, unpack and put the proper .dylib files into:
<home folder>/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
Reaper uses the system search path to locate the library as well.

(According to the wiki entry ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support ) Reaper should pick it up from here or /usr/local/lib )

Note on OSX 10.7 and 10.8 from Schwa (one of the Reaper developers) :
OSX Lion(and Mountain Lion -ed) makes it much harder to access <username>/Library.

By default, that folder will not appear in the Finder.

The "official" way is to open the Finder, open the Go menu, then hold down the Option key.

Alternatively, open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "chflags nohidden ~/Library". This Lion behavior will cause all sorts of inconvenience for advanced REAPER users who are familiar with the REAPER inifiles.
Vide Format Conversion

TEncoder (Windows, open source, free)

Source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/

Can convert most formats to almost any other. Preferred tool to produce Prores Proxy files. Does not require Quicktime to be installed.

MPEG Streamclip ( OSX and Windows , free )

Source: http://www.squared5.com

Can convert most formats to AVI, Quicktime, DV and MP4. Batch conversion, transform, frame rate conversion.
Preferred Containers and Codecs

Quicktime/MKV Prores Proxy(any source and frame size)

Quicktime MJPEG A(interlaced SD sources) / PhotoJPEG (progressive source of any frame size)

Quicktime H264 with no B-Frames works well too.
[/INDENT]

Last edited by airon; 01-06-2021 at 11:38 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
matthias.matthias

good post. + 1 for making it sticky
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
joaobgb

Regarding the ffmpeg 64bit new builds, I haven't been able to use them in Reaper even with all the files in the bin folder (Win7 x64 - Reaper v4beta10 x64), I've tested a few times with a different combination of files and nothing, although I've seen on other threads people reporting good results.

Last edited by joaobgb; 06-24-2011 at 08:41 AM.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
skmando

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Reaper 32-bit (x86) - OSX
Note!!! This is not tested. Please contribute links and testing feedback to confirm a working FFMPEG build. Most of OSX playback needs are well covered with Quicktime anyway
Source : http://aegiscorp.free.fr/ffmpeg/ (UNTESTED!)
File to get: FFMPEG DLLs for OS X (updated 2010/05/14): ffmpeg-dylib-r23082-osx.zip. (Contains i386, x86_64 and PPC architectures).

Files to use from the archive(untested and unconfirmed!!!!):
FFmpeg.dylib
Where to place the files :
unkown to the author of this article as of yet.

Tried and tested for import on OS X on numerous formats, only ones that don't seem to want to import are .flv and .3gp files - the rest import no problems. I've not had chance to test for export.

Place FFmeg.dylib in same directory as your REAPER.app

See screenshot for example - my folder also includes libmp3lame.dylib for mp3 encoding

+1 for making this a sticky. Along with the lame mp3 codec and SWS extensions, this seems important info for REAPER newbies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screengrab.jpg (55.2 KB, 2971 views)
skmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Should be a sticky or wiki

Airon, did you ever find reaper slowly eating your memory when playing back h.264 files on reaper 32bit but win 7 64?
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Should be a sticky or wiki

Airon, did you ever find reaper slowly eating your memory when playing back h.264 files on reaper 32bit but win 7 64?
I actually have one such session right now. Let me check.

-edit-

First impression. Yes, the memory consumption steadily grows.

The video specs:
Code:
Length: 25:31.843
Video: 1920x1080@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.61.0 (--enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc=ccache-i686-mingw32-gcc --arch=i686 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb)
Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 6994 kb/s
Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 253 kb/s
It grows quite slowly. Will report back after the full video has played.

-edit-

Full video has played. RAM compsumption grew by 50 MB over the course of playback at a steady burst of a little here and some there. It was not entirely continous.

After a while of having stopped playback, RAM consumption fell by around 20 MB, and has so far remained steady.

Reinitiating playback has RAM usage jumping by an instant 10 MB, and a few seconds later by another 10 MB.

I started playback from the start and the RAM consumption is continuing to climb in the same fashion so far.

Last edited by airon; 06-28-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
BlackBart

A few of us are having issues using ProRes files. I get black screen in Win7-64 Reaper-X64. Someone else has reported the same thing on OSX 32 B11 and 12.

It's such a standard format now...needs Reaper attention.
thanks...BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Thanks for testing Airon, this has been a pain for me. The short film I'm currently doing is only 15 mins long but I can barely get through it twice before running out on reaper 32bit but in win7 64bit.

I didn't want to so the 64bit because of plugins and hardware controllers and we can't firewall the video window.

Also the codecs I installed from your thread for the none ffmpeg decoding manage to steal the main outs on my lynx sound card so the front speakers don't work anymore so that's no go so far too

Hope it gets looked at as it use to work.

Quote:
I actually have one such session right now. Let me check.

-edit-

First impression. Yes, the memory consumption steadily grows.

The video specs:
Code:
Length: 25:31.843
Video: 1920x1080@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.61.0 (--enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc=ccache-i686-mingw32-gcc --arch=i686 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb)
Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 6994 kb/s
Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 253 kb/s
It grows quite slowly. Will report back after the full video has played.

-edit-

Full video has played. RAM compsumption grew by 50 MB over the course of playback at a steady burst of a little here and some there. It was not entirely continous.

After a while of having stopped playback, RAM consumption fell by around 20 MB, and has so far remained steady.

Reinitiating playback has RAM usage jumping by an instant 10 MB, and a few seconds later by another 10 MB.

I started playback from the start and the RAM consumption is continuing to climb in the same fashion so far.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
airon

Friendly bump. Time to check this functionality again gents.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
airon

Bump.

I'm bumping this thread because of the discussion ReaktorDave and me are having about video playback in Reaper x64.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84293

It appears that Reaper is incapable of using the latest FFMPEG builds by Zeranoe.

The old Aegiscorp build however works, but cannot decode everything the x86 version can, such as this MP4 video, which runs at 60 frames per second at 1920x1080 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQq_ZnSdGxQ (link to the 60fps version in the notes of the video).

ReaktorDave has had extensive problems that apparently v3 of Reaper does not have.

I managed to play that 60fps video in the x86 version of Reaper with the Aegiscorp FFMPEG DLL files, but it routinely freezes at certain frames, unlike VLC. Reaper also does not play 60 frames per second. The difference to what VLC is capable of is quite striking.

I do run an i7 920 machine. Playback does need to be a lot better, as Reaper has nowhere near the seek performance of the Quicktime player(x86 or x64 version of Reaper).

I'll boldy assume that you guys may need to rethink your strategy on video playback seeking and buffering. VLC seems to have this down much better, never mind Protools, which has its weaknesses as well, but apparently does a better job at seeking only the frames it needs to display. The result is that I can click and seek across an entire 20 minute Quicktime MJPEGA video (512x288@25fps) draped across my screen like a madman, and I'll get no frozen frames.

Maybe you guys don't evaluate and skip some seeks.

"Hey our decoder can handle 35 frames per second in a one-thread decoder and takes X milliseconds to randomly seek, decode and deliver a frame.

Let's only seek as often as the decoder can randomly seek when not playing but scrub/jog/click+seek'ing in the video.

And let's buffer a little video ahead of time for playback. The larger the per-frame-decoding CPU-use, the larger ahead we need to buffer to prevent mishaps."

You can skip frames during clickl+seeking and jogging as much as you like. You cannot skip frames during playback.

Or you could talk to the VLC guys.

Last edited by airon; 07-29-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
airon

Reaper 4.0 rc2 x64 feedback

I've done some more tests with three different media types.

MP4 H264 Video 60fps 1920x1080, AAC Audio 48khz
Source: download link in the notes section of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQq_ZnSdGxQ

An interesting case. VLC plays this fine. Windows Media Player plays this rather badly. Media Player Classic with the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack installed plays it out of sync.

Reaper thinks this is a 20 hour video file. ( 19:56:37.038 )

With OS decoding unchecked it can barely play the audio.

With OS decoding checked, and the K-Lite 64bit codec pack installed ( http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_64bit.htm ) it thinks it's 20 hours long. WIthout the codec pack it can't even import the file.

With the 20 hour thing Reaper crashes just trying to exit.
Quicktime MJPEGA and PhotoJPEG Video 25fps 512x288, PCM 16 bit audio or no audio 48khz
K-Lite codec pack is installed, but I might as well hadn't bothered for this.

OS decoding checked - only audio playback if 16 bit audio is present. No video. Apple Quicktime after all is 32-bit only on Windows.

OS decoding off - video works nicely. If you move the cursor(to make a time selection for example) a little too quickly, the video freeze frames until you slow down a bit. As stated above, this does not happen in Protools or the Quicktime Player. It apprently knows when to skip frames during seeking.
Windows Media Video wmv3 yuv420p 6500kbit/sec 1920x1080 @23.98fps(23.976), WMA audio 128kbit 48kHz

Very interesting.

FFMPEG by itself (OS decoding off) botches playback, in that it freeze frames completely and never recovers unless I stop and start again. The audio plays fine.

OS decoding checked(K-Lite installed too) and it plays fine and seeks rather quickly as well.
Conclusion

MP4 h264, large frame size, high frame rate
install the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack and check OS decoding.

Quicktime MJPEG/PhotoJPEG - average frame rate, small to large frame sizes
uncheck OS decoding at all costs, and use the Aegiscorp FFMPEG DLLs. Then it runs rather well, though according to ReaktorDave, not as well as in v3 of Reaper.

WMV wmv3/wma, large frame size, average frame rate
FFMPEG totally screws up here.
Install the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack and check OS decoding in the preferences/video, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Subz

i have a project that use a WMV file that loads & works on R3 but is jumpy on R4 (& eats more CPU allot more!)

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
i have a project that use a WMV file that loads & works on R3 but is jumpy on R4 (& eats more CPU allot more!)

Subz
Transcode that sucker and keep the audio separate. It doesn't take long and saves you lots of headache.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
uncheck OS decoding at all costs, and use the Aegiscorp FFMPEG DLLs. Then it runs rather well, though according to ReaktorDave, not as well as in v3 of Reaper.
Details of that issue, which is specific to version 4, are covered here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...395#post783395
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Nandhu Kartha

Airon,

Thank you for the posts. I had been following this thread from y'day. But it took some time to figure it out. This time I'll post about QT/MOV/MP4 exports as I work with them mostly. In this Format with only H.264 codec is shown. Is it like that?

I conducted a series of import export tests with AAC,16 bit, 24 bit, diff resolutions etc.I rarely deal with serious video exports. To be open I don't know much about the video quality settings.Anyways whatever videos I exported from Reaper played back fine in QT,VLC and Win7 media players. But it was jerky when I imported it back to Reaper. Found out that the playback is smooth if the 'use OS video decoding instead of FFmpeg when possible' is enabled in preferences. But the sound is a bit late than the video !!

It is V4x64 RC3 here. I used Aegiscorp free ffmpeg ,Win7 pro 64bit. i7 2600K. Couldn't notice a problem in playback and seeking.
Sorry, I can't download your 60 FPS video right now.
Nandhu Kartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #16
airon

Keep the sound separate and convert your H264 video to Quicktime MJPEGA(50-75% quality) or PhotoJPEG(medium to high quality). This will make it much easier for you.

Use the MPEG Streamclip tool from squared5.com to convert your clip and export your audio.

That's the safest way right now. If you have the means, Quicktime Prores Proxy is good too for high resolution video(720p and higher) but you may need FinalCutPro to produce that. However, I haven't tested that with Reaper yet. It is great for Protools and since Protools is happy with Quicktime MJPEGA and PhotoJPEG, I figure it's good with Reaper too.

Last edited by airon; 07-31-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
Nandhu Kartha

Hey Airon,

Thank you . MPEG Streamclip seems to be very useful. Which (all) could be the most CPU efficient video format(s) to score music? - preferably less size,fast seeking and at least moderate clarity. Is there anything like that I do score music for films, commercials and the like.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandhu Kartha View Post
Hey Airon,

Thank you . MPEG Streamclip seems to be very useful. Which (all) could be the most CPU efficient video format(s) to score music? - preferably less size,fast seeking and at least moderate clarity. Is there anything like that I do score music for films, commercials and the like.
Small size and fast seeking will get you bad clarity. It's the classic principle of "three things you want, but you only get two".

H264 Quicktime files are great for delivery via the net or a USB stick. You then just convert the file for your own use. That's the way I get most of my video files when I edit and mix tv shows.

H264 video will steal a lot of CPU time. That is its most negative aspect, and most of the time the picture departments do not create H264 Quicktime files that are useful in Protools, Reaper or Nuendo. You almost always need to convert them or you'll get a less responsive system that use uses more CPU for video, cutting back on what you can do with audio, which is what you're paid to do.

So, delivery can be done with H264 compressed files. Working with them is a nightmare.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
Nandhu Kartha

Quote:
H264 video will steal a lot of CPU time. That is its most negative aspect, and most of the time the picture departments do not create H264 Quicktime files that are useful in Protools, Reaper or Nuendo. You almost always need to convert them or you'll get a less responsive system that use uses more CPU for video, cutting back on what you can do with audio, which is what you're paid to do.

So, delivery can be done with H264 compressed files. Working with them is a nightmare.
Good piece of information. Then which is the optimal alternative? Let it be bigger in size. Which could be the most CPU friendly video format in Reaper? No need to be limited to QT formats.

Edit : Is Reaper's video engine QT?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
airon

No, Reaper plays video in two ways, either with what the system provides, which on Windows are the Video For Windows codecs and Direct Show stuff, or the FFMPEG playback libraries.

The safe route is to use Quicktime MJPEG A, which MPEG Streamclip has aboslutely no problem creating. You do need to have Quicktime installed, so MPEG Streamclip can use it.

Test your workflows before you commit. Don't wait until you NEED to have it work.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
peter5992

Just a real quick note that I much appreciate Airon's post by putting all the video related info together, can we make this a sticky? In fact, I've been thinking whether it would be useful to have a separate subforum for post production where we can swap tips / workflows / discuss issues etc.

Really useful, it's stuff that confuses me the whole time and I'm always running around looking for info and asking the same questions again whenever there's video mayhem.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
Nandhu Kartha

Sticky !!!!!!!!

Airon,thanks a loooooot !! . I'll check it out and let you know.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #23
airon

Updated.

OSX 64-bit and 32-bit links and where to install information added, as confirmed in this thread.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #24
airon

Updated with news of improvements that lets users now use the latest Zeranoe 32-bit or 64-bit shared FFMPEG DLLs.

Please keep in mind that this only works with the latest Reaper v4.03pre7 and up, which is still only available via the Pre-Release forum.

Has anyone found newer OSX builds of the FFMPEG shared libraries ?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
Nandhu Kartha

Airon,

Thank you very much.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #26
mirceablue

Default video rendering sync problem

Can anybody help me with video rendering. I have a dv clip synced with audio recorded separately, it plays ok in reaper but when I export it as any format mpeg, avi etc. the audio is out of sync and the video looks like is on fast speed( Charlie Chaplin movie style).
I have the latest Zeranoe FFMPEG codecs I've tried with Aegiscorp build too but no luck .
I'm on win7 64 bit I've tried with a portable installation version of reaper 32 bit but it behaves the same way.

Any suggestions ?!
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #27
airon

Check out the movie properties with another media player like VLC or MPC or Windows Media Player and see if the frame rate matches what you used.

Is the DV video a Quicktime ?

Could you post the Item Source Properties (CTRL+F2 for selected item is the default) of the item containing the video ?

What settings in the render dialog window did you use ? A screenshot would suffice.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #28
Riddler

Hi there,
I've been trying to get video working in REAPER for a project I'm currently working on. I'm keen to use a non-GOP codec for editing and have been trying to get Avid's DNxHD codec to work with no luck.

I'm running REAPER 64bit on Win7 x64. I've got the KLite Codec Pack installed as well as the Zeranoe FFMPEG .dll files in the REAPER's top directory. I'm using REAPER 4.02, so would this issue be fixed by trying 4.03?

Currently REAPER builds the peaks file and then all I get is a blank screen.

I've managed to get an H.264/.mp4 working fine and a Motion JPEG-A/.mov file working fine. It would be great to get DNxHD working as it seems to be a popular format used for editing in post.

Thanks for all/any help,
Tim.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
mirceablue

I found the problem, it was the buffer setting from my Rme soundcard, it was on maximum because I've worked on a very demanding project before exporting the videos. Anyway I think it's a strange behavior, it's not normal to get out of sync and have a scrambled video just because the buffer was set at 4048.Not sure is related with the soundcard drivers, I don't see any relation between the buffer and the video output.
Maybe you should check it with other soundcards .

Tnx for your support .
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Reaper 64-bit (x64) - Windows,any 64-bit version
Source : Zeranoe FFMPEG 64-bit Shared builds
I cannot recommend using the zeranoe's builds, atm (v.4.10rc2). Playing a file usually works, but jumping to different positions often outputs a black screen.

There is another bug within Reapers video playback engine, which is struggling me for a long time now. Go to a certain frame, let's say frame 24 and start playback. You can cleary see that playback starts at frame 23. This should get fixed.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #31
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
Hi there,
I've been trying to get video working in REAPER for a project I'm currently working on. I'm keen to use a non-GOP codec for editing and have been trying to get Avid's DNxHD codec to work with no luck.

I'm running REAPER 64bit on Win7 x64. I've got the KLite Codec Pack installed as well as the Zeranoe FFMPEG .dll files in the REAPER's top directory. I'm using REAPER 4.02, so would this issue be fixed by trying 4.03?

Currently REAPER builds the peaks file and then all I get is a blank screen.

I've managed to get an H.264/.mp4 working fine and a Motion JPEG-A/.mov file working fine. It would be great to get DNxHD working as it seems to be a popular format used for editing in post.

Thanks for all/any help,
Tim.
The Avid DNxHD codecs, are they present as Video For Windows codecs ? If so, check the OS decoding box in the preferences/video page.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #32
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirceablue View Post
I found the problem, it was the buffer setting from my Rme soundcard, it was on maximum because I've worked on a very demanding project before exporting the videos. Anyway I think it's a strange behavior, it's not normal to get out of sync and have a scrambled video just because the buffer was set at 4048.Not sure is related with the soundcard drivers, I don't see any relation between the buffer and the video output.
Maybe you should check it with other soundcards .

Tnx for your support .
Large buffers like that are generally a rather bad idea for performance. You're better off increasing things like the render-ahead buffers, or disk read-ahead. With buffers that large the CPU caches are flushed on a regular basis. That's the local theory anyway.

But do report this in the bug issue tracker. Be sure to include as much detail about the video, your card, your driver version as possible.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #33
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
I cannot recommend using the zeranoe's builds, atm (v.4.10rc2). Playing a file usually works, but jumping to different positions often outputs a black screen.

There is another bug within Reapers video playback engine, which is struggling me for a long time now. Go to a certain frame, let's say frame 24 and start playback. You can cleary see that playback starts at frame 23. This should get fixed.
Be sure to post this in the pre-release thread. I haven't worked with video in rc2 yet.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #34

I'll look into it for some details.

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 09-24-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #35

After examining the black video output issue, it's not the zeranoe build all alone. It was a rather complex situation in my project file, directly accessing the audio track of avi-files. I don't think it's worth to be explained detail.

From my experience you can safely use zeranoe's build with video files in quicktime motion jpeg format. Sorry for shooting out too fast on this one

Apart from that, it seems to be reproduceable that reaper while starting playback shows one frame before the actual starting point. I'm gonna post some info on that in "v4.10rc2 - September 23 2011".
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #36
Riddler

Default Issue only appears on 64bit version

Hello again,

I now can view a .mov file encoded using the rather excellent DNxHD codec in REAPER, but it will only work on the 32bit version. I still get a black screen when using the 64bit version.

Can anyone suggest why this would be?

Cheers,
Tim.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #37
Riddler

What other non-GOP alternatives are there? If DNxHD is going to be awkward and MJPEG/PJEG look awful it would be good to try something else.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #38
airon

Quote:
Hello again,

I now can view a .mov file encoded using the rather excellent DNxHD codec in REAPER, but it will only work on the 32bit version. I still get a black screen when using the 64bit version.

Can anyone suggest why this would be?

Cheers,
Tim.
Quicktime is not available as a 64-bit version for 64-bit Windows systems, and FFMPEG cannot decode the DNxHD codec.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
airon

Quote:
What other non-GOP alternatives are there? If DNxHD is going to be awkward and MJPEG/PJEG look awful it would be good to try something else.
There are the smallest-file-size Prores formats, but the same problem there persists until Apple puts out a 64-bit version of Quicktime for Windows.

Last edited by airon; 09-27-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #40
Riddler

Airon, thanks for clarifying this for me, it was beginning to become quite a headache.

I must say that it is quite annoying though. The results I'e experienced using DNxHD are fantastic, and it seems widely used in post production. To only be able to use in 32bit operation is a real limitation, especially when scoring to picture.

Thanks,
Tim.