Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
cpaf
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine (MK3) and Reaper Integration Thread

So, hi there, all new to Reaper, but been around most DAWS at some point. Mostly Cubase, Live, Logic and Studio One. Enjoying Reaper so far! (though I am stuck in the "find your theme"-rabbit hole! damn.

This thread will be about integrating the Maschine MK3 with Reaper as a control surface. There are lots of videos about Maschine 2.whatever integration with DAW-this and that. But there is not a lot about using the MK3 as a control surface.

Personally I am sick and tired of not using pretty expensive gear as much as possible, and Maschine MK3 is potentially an awesome control surface right there on my desk! So, lets look into it!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

First of all, there are two ways to do this: 1. The MCU way, 2. The Midi mode way.

1. Well, of all the DAWs I use, Reaper is the only one where I just can't get the MK3 to work via MCU. So if anyone can, and have tried and succeeded, please do write how to! In Live it works quite good fx.

Alternatively, there is Klinkes MCU, which potentially could be awesome. There is also the new CSI-projet by Geoff (which I am following, but simply can't get my head around to work with the MK3).

2. The Midi mode way is done via the NI Controller editor. It is super simple and straight forward. To do this best you have to have the SWS Extensions with the cycle actions. This allows the buttons to do more commands/actions than one as if you pressed "shift" in combination with a button on the MK3 (this functionality is not available in midi mode as the "shift" button is used to change Maschine Instances and midi mode templates). Also, get the ReaPack extension and install does scripts necessary

The Midi mode way is simply to match each knob/encoder with an action in the Action list in Reaper. Many actions will be Cycle Actions which has to be made.

It is this Midi mode way for now I will be trying to integrate the Maschine mk3 with Reaper.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The philosophy behind the integration is that the Maschine MK3 should work pretty much like when using it standalone with the Maschine-software. This is to optimize the workflow with the MK3 regardless if it is used in standalone or midi mode.

BUT if there is a better more suited action for something DAWish, then this is more important. Of course this results in a personal configuration, so my configration might not be the one-and-only, but can still serve as an inspiration. Fx I have the STOP button working as a stop but also if stopped as a start-of-project-rewind button (which I find quite natural).

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''

Now there are some hicckups in Midi mode - no banking between tracks as action in reaper. So as to change the functionality of the 8 endless rotary encoders and their buttons above. Now if anyone knows how to do this, please write it!

Because of this the utilization of the encoders and their buttons will be delegated solely to FX inserting/showing and FX parameteres instead (i think..)

Another constraint is that the pads must be playable as notes with any instrument. So you can play your VSTi piano, guitar, drum maschine, percussion instruments, synths and so on with the pads, from c0-c6. The first padpage will be used as the "control"-page (see the pdf)so no c-1 via the padbanks (you can just go one octave down instead).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will list all the buttons from top left to bottom right. In this list the buttons are grouped in sections to match the layout. Each sections is named for easy reference in the comments.

It is important to be aware that Reaper has different Action templates: The Main, Main(alt recording), Media Explorer, Midi Editor, Midi Event List, Inline Midi Editor.
I will focus on the Main and Midi Editor templates first. The Midi Editor emplate can probably work as the Inline Midi Editor Template too...

Every entry begins with the name(s) of the button/encoder, then the Midi CC value, and lastly the chosen action(s) with a description (maybe also the cycle action build). If there is an alternative Midi Editor action, then this follows.

All notes (the footpedal and the pads bank B-H) are on channel 1. All Midi CC is on channel 16 --> this prevents any MIDI CC to overlap as note-triggers.

Lets begin!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CE 11_6_18 - starting out.pdf (50.3 KB, 470 views)

Last edited by cpaf; 06-12-2018 at 05:16 AM.
cpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:10 AM   #2
cpaf

Default Add Specifik FX Effect How-to

With HUGE regards to spk77 who made the bellow script for D ROCKS in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205085

to Add and then show/hide UI of whatever specifik effect you want use this Script by going to the Action list, "new" ReaScript, give it a name, copy-paste the bellow script then ctrl+s to save it, and then go to the Action list and find the script and set it to the EB1 button of choice. Remeber to write the name of your effect in the script:

local fx_table = {"nameofyourEffect"}

function insert_FXs()
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
-- Run action from the action list:
reaper.Main_OnCommand(41110, 0) -- Select track under mouse (right click on the action list to get the command ID)
-- "Select track under mouse" sets exactly one track selected -> get the track pointer
local track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack2(0, 0, true)
for fx=1, #fx_table do -- loop from "1" to length of "fx_table"
local fx_index = reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, fx_table[fx], false, 1)
reaper.TrackFX_SetOpen(track, fx_index, not reaper.TrackFX_GetOpen(track, fx_index))
end
-- Get the command ID number for named command that was registered by an extension such as
-- "_SWS_ABOUT" or "_113088d11ae641c193a2b7ede3041ad5" for a ReaScript or a custom action.
local action_number = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_MOVE_FX_WINDOW_TO_M OUSE_H_M_V_M")
-- Pass the "action_number" to "Main_OnCommand" to run the action
reaper.Main_OnCommand(action_number, 0)
reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Insert FX(s) to track under mouse cursor", -1);
end

insert_FXs()

Last edited by cpaf; 06-12-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
cpaf

Default Updated list of Parameters-CCcontrollers

Footpedal - The C3-section
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Footpedal - Note C3 [the footpedal mirrors the pad E1 which is the note C3. This is the note where the kick is most often placed - so now you can play drums for real, almost (im a drummer myself)]

Overview - the O-section
-------------------------------------------------------------

Channel/midi - CC34 Shows/hides the Action List
Plug-in/Instance - CC35
Arranger - CC36 Shows the Arrranger by toggling all dockers
Mixer - CC37 Shows/hides the mixer
Browser/+Plug-In - CC38 Shows/Hides the FX Browser
Sampling - CC39 Shows/Hides the Media explorer
File/Save - CC40 Saves the open project
Settings - CC41 Opens the settings
Auto(mation) - CC42 Toggles: Automates the last touched fx parameter on the selected track
Macro/set - CC43

BigKnob - The BK-section
--------------------------------------------------------------
BigKnob left - CC33 Go to previous track
BigKnob right - CC31 Go to next track
BigKnob down - CC32
BigKnob up - CC96
BigKnob push - CC7
BigKnob Scroll - CC8
Volume/velocity - CC44
Swing/position - CC45
Note Repeat/Arp - CC46
Tempo/Tune - CC47
Lock/Ext Lock - CC48

Pitch - CC49
Mod(ulation) - CC50
Perform/FX Select - CC51
Notes - CC52

Touch strip - CC1 Adjust last touched FX parameter

Pagebank - The PK-section
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bank A - "Control Page"
Bank B - C0-D#2
Bank C - C1-D#3
Bank D - C2-D#4
Bank E - C3-D#5
Bank F - C4-D#6
Bank G - C5-D#7
Bank H - C6-D#8

Transport - The T-section
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Restart/loop - CC53
Erase/Replace - CC54
Tap/Metro - CC55
Follow/Grid - CC56
Play - CC57
REC/Count-in - CC58
Stop - CC59 Stops the playmarker, if stopped rewinds to start of project

Encoders+buttons1 - The Eb1-section
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
from left to rigt:
Button1 - CC22
Button2 - CC23
Button3 - CC24 Adds Kontakt 5_64Out to last selected track, if added show/hide Kontakt 5_64Out UI
Button4 - CC25 Adds Maschine 2 to last selected track, if added show/hide Maschine 2 UI
Button5 - CC26 Adds Reverb to last selected track, if added show/hide Reverb UI
Button6 - CC27 Adds Delay to last selected track, if added show/hide Delay UI
Button7 - CC28 Adds Compressor to last selected track, if added show/hide Compressor UI
Button8 - CC29 Adds EQ to last selected track, if added show/hide EQ UI

Encoder1 - CC70
Encoder2 - CC71
Encoder3 - CC72
Encoder4 - CC73
Encoder5 - CC74
Encoder6 - CC75
Encoder7 - CC76
Encoder8 - CC77

2Encoders+2buttons - The Eb2-section
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
from left to rigt:
2Button1 - CC60
2Button2 - CC61
2Button3 - CC62
2Button4 - CC63
2Button5 - CC64
2Button6 - CC65
2Button7 - CC66
2Button8 - CC67

2Encoder1 - CC108
2Encoder2 - CC109
2Encoder3 - CC110
2Encoder4 - CC111
2Encoder5 - CC112
2Encoder6 - CC113
2Encoder7 - CC114
2Encoder8 - CC115

Selections - The S-section
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixed Vel/16Vel(ocity) - CC80
Pad Mode - CC81
Keyboard - CC82
Chords - CC83
Step - CC84

Scene/Section - CC85
Pattern - CC86
Events - CC87
Variation/Navigate - CC88
Duplicate/Double - CC89
Select - CC90
Solo - CC91
Mute - CC92

ControlPad - the CP-section
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A (padbank)1(pad) Undo - CC3
A2 Redo - CC9
A3 Step Undo - CC101
A4 Step Redo - CC102
A5 Quantize - CC103
A6 Quantize 50% - CC104
A7 Nudge< - CC105
A8 Nudge> - CC106
A9 Clear - CC107 Remove items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) - no prompting
A10 Clear Auto(mation) - CC116
A11 Copy - CC117
A12 Paste - CC118
A13 Semitone- - CC119
A14 Semitone+ - CC120
A15 Octave- - CC121
A16 Octaev+ - CC122

Last edited by cpaf; 06-12-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
buddhajuke

Following
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
cpaf

Latest update: After learning about the possibilities of MidiOX from foxAsteria I will invetigate this further and see if this will work with the MK3.

The purpose of this is to be able to use modifiers on the MK3. As You might know the Maschine MK3 extensively utilizes modifiers fx the buttons: scene, patterns, events and many more. It also has the "shift" button of course.

If these buttons could be made to modify the CC's sent from the MK3 by changing "page" while holding, the potential is huge for a "real" maschine workflow in Reaper.

Just wish that the Maschine could use the Komplete Kontrol software, so it would be possible to browse the NKS ready instruments and effects without having to use the Maschine software (whose integration with DAWs is horrifyingly bad...)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
karbomusic

Good stuff, caught my eye because I have an MK3 on the way but no real plans to use as a controller per se.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
cpaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Good stuff, caught my eye because I have an MK3 on the way but no real plans to use as a controller per se.
I've had mine for some time, fooled around in the Maschine 2 software and standalone mode. Extremely fun and intuitiv once you have practiced a bit! There are some weird workflow parts that doesnt fit me, but well, practice and flexibility.

But yeah, I actually bought the MK3 because it could be a controller while working in the DAW. As I do alot of more complicated finetuning stuff with arrangements I knew I had to make the MK3 work in the context to make it worth it considering the costs.

I've come to thoroughly enjoy the Komplete 11 select that comes with it, and have just bought the standard Komplete 11, now that there is a 50% sale. IT IS WORTH IT! Damn that Una Corda piano alone...

But, I haven't been able to get the MK3 working nicely in my workflow. Tried Studio one 3 which is my main, didn't work very good, but in some cases okay as an MCU. Tried Ableton but didn't cut it either (and the Ableton template that NI have made is... lackluster...). Tried Cubase then, great for arrangement and composition, but not any better than S1 or Live...

But Reaper... oh that Action list and cycle actions!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaf View Post
I've come to thoroughly enjoy the Komplete 11 select that comes with it, and have just bought the standard Komplete 11, now that there is a 50% sale. IT IS WORTH IT! Damn that Una Corda piano alone...
Hmm.. That's one thing that was on my mind. I have Komplete 9 Ultimate - upgrade to 11 is 199.00 right now and I'm wondering..

1. Is there much (or more) MK3 wise that I'll be missing by not upgrading.

2. Am I in for a $hit storm if I upgrade. I still have the original Service Center for updates/downloads and have heard negative stories about the new method and since I'm not a heavy EDM/MK3 type user and I have loads of projects already using Komplete 9 plugins I don't want it to turn into a big mess. IOW, I don't expect any issues just using in MIDI mode like a drum pad controller but if I go beyond that, I'm hoping it doesn't become a new career LOL.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #9
cpaf

if you should upgrade... hmm i'm not really sure whats included in 11U versus 9U, but for me the most important aspect of getting KOmplete 11 standard was the pianos, the extra drums (don't need more now though) the studio effects like the solidEQ and Dynamics and most importantly the full Kontakt 5 and Reaktor.

But if you need strings, cinematic effects, lots of drums, effects (like reverbs) and so on, and you like those included in komplete Ultimate, well then its a steal for 200 bucks...

But yeah, im getting outputs analog strings, so don't need the ones in komplete, and I'm probably going to make my own cinematic sounds anyways, if not I will look around whats available, don't need it right now.

But yeah I don't think there is a lot of necessarities in Ultimate vs Standard when it comes to Komplete 11.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
if you should upgrade... hmm i'm not really sure whats included in 11U versus 9U, but for me the most important aspect of getting KOmplete 11 standard was the pianos, the extra drums (don't need more now though) the studio effects like the solidEQ and Dynamics and most importantly the full Kontakt 5 and Reaktor.
Arrived, setup and rocking. I may get the upgrade but not upgrading didn't seem to affect anything thus far. The only issue I had was the few hoops I had to jump through to get the MK3 to boot up since apparently it won't go past the boot screen fully unless connected to the computer and...

1. Firmware is up to date.
2. Latest drivers are installed.
3. Maschine software is installed.

That pads are fantastic, far, far better than my AKAI MPD218.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
cpaf

Won't go past the boot screen? I'm not sure I'm following. The MK3 only works while tethered to a computer

But yeah the pads are great!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Won't go past the boot screen? I'm not sure I'm following. The MK3 only works while tethered to a computer
You're following fine I just think it would be nice if either of those two BIG ASS LCD SCREENS had more info than "Welcome" | "Professional Production System" when there are driver requirements etc. to get past those screens - it makes the unit look dead or hung minus being in the know or going to dig. IOW, even something as simple as "Disconnected" would be helpful.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-19-2018 at 12:10 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
Farakeys

Quote:
You're following fine I just think it would be nice if either of those two BIG ASS LCD SCREENS had more info than "Welcome" | "Professional Production System" when there are driver requirements etc. to get past those screens - it makes the unit look dead or hung minus being in the know or going to dig. IOW, even something as simple as "Disconnected" would be helpful.
Hi karbomusic.
The LCD integration depends on Maschine software.
If you want to use Maschine MK3 with Reaper without Maschine Software, you'll have to enter MIDI Mode:
MASCHINE MK3 SHIFT + CHANNEL (MIDI)
https://support.native-instruments.c...r-to-MIDI-Mode

You can setup pretty much any Maschine physical control in NI Controller Editor with MIDI CC or Mackie Control (MCU)

Last edited by Farakeys; 06-19-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Add information (link)
Farakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Farakeys

Quote:
Just wish that the Maschine could use the Komplete Kontrol software, so it would be possible to browse the NKS ready instruments and effects without having to use the Maschine software (whose integration with DAWs is horrifyingly bad...)
True!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farakeys View Post
Hi karbomusic.
The LCD integration depends on Maschine software.
If you want to use Maschine MK3 with Reaper without Maschine Software, you'll have to enter MIDI Mode:
MASCHINE MK3 SHIFT + CHANNEL (MIDI)
https://support.native-instruments.c...r-to-MIDI-Mode

You can setup pretty much any Maschine physical control in NI Controller Editor with MIDI CC or Mackie Control (MCU)
Thanks, I know but you aren't getting past that initial what looks like a "load screen" without being properly connected to the computer and it should give more info on the screen when that is the case because there's plenty of room to do so. I already have it up and running at this point in several different configs/modes; just mentioning those screens can be useful when it isn't connected properly etc.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-20-2018 at 12:07 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #16
Farakeys

Quote:
Thanks, I know but you aren't getting past that initial what looks like a "load screen" without being properly connected to the computer and it should give more info on the screen when that is the case because there's plenty of room to do so. I already have it up and running at this point in several different configs/modes; just mentioning those screens can be useful when it isn't connected properly etc.
Nice! I Totally agree with you... it would be awesome if NI give us some Software API or open Standard to get into those gorgeous screens. Imagine getting reaper mixer, EQ and so directly in that screens!

BTW... Still having troubles using MCU protocol for the encoders and triggering MIDI Notes with the PADs in the same template, even with different MIDI Channels. The MCU commands conflicts with the MIDI notes even in different MIDI Channels. I can see the PAD with MIDI note C-2 triggering every time i send MCU Record Arm Track 01 message, even using Channel 11 for the MIDI notes (which should be out MCU range).
Someone at NI forums suggested me to go the MIDI CC way and forget about MCU.
I would love to get some visual feedback from the DAW itself (channel names, parameter values etc), which i get with MCU protocol. Can i have that with MIDI CC?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #17
Farakeys

Quote:
I've had mine for some time, fooled around in the Maschine 2 software and standalone mode. Extremely fun and intuitiv once you have practiced a bit! There are some weird workflow parts that doesnt fit me, but well, practice and flexibility.

But yeah, I actually bought the MK3 because it could be a controller while working in the DAW. As I do alot of more complicated finetuning stuff with arrangements I knew I had to make the MK3 work in the context to make it worth it considering the costs.

But, I haven't been able to get the MK3 working nicely in my workflow. Tried Studio one 3 which is my main, didn't work very good, but in some cases okay as an MCU. Tried Ableton but didn't cut it either (and the Ableton template that NI have made is... lackluster...). Tried Cubase then, great for arrangement and composition, but not any better than S1 or Live...

But Reaper... oh that Action list and cycle actions!
Hey cpaf, i'm in the same boat as you...
Trying to figure out how MCU and MIDI Notes can coexist in the same template. Using Komplete 11 Full here.
I want Maschine MK3 as part of my live setup (for playing with some bands live - Rock, EDM and even a Pink Floyd Tribute...). It's a great controller with soundcard (which is awesome, and saves some space).

I can have my Maschine MK3 working in Reaper in MCU mode only OR in MIDI CC/Note only... when using both modes together, some MIDI notes conflicts with MCU (as MCU itself use MIDI notes in channel 1, pitchbend from Channels 1 to 9 and many other MIDI messages to work).
I tried to put all PADs (MIDI Notes) in Channel 11 and up (which are not used by MCU protocol) but i'm still getting conflicts.

Maybe if Maschine could transmit MIDI Notes in a different MIDI port (not channel), it would do the trick...
Old 06-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #18
karbomusic

Two points:

1. IMHO... Based on my last 5 days of working with the MK3 several hours per day, 95% of it's value is via machine software (which embeds nicely in reaper as a VSTi FWIW) or rather non-MIDI mode.

2. If you only bought it as a controller, I see it as... just another "thing with a bunch of buttons that sends MIDI cc" making it not that much different than other controllers.

That being said, why exactly are you using MCU for #2? I'm totally ignorant with MCU so pardon my lack of knowing but I more mean it's just a big controller with buttons and it wouldn't take that long to just use Reaper's learn function for most of what is there (though I'm assuming the are MCU advantages I'm missing).

I'm using it as both, A) with Maschine either as standalone (for quick ideas), B) Maschine embedded in Reaper as VST and lastly, C) MIDI mode controller when I just want to record MIDI notes directly in via pads without using Maschine and also mapping a handful of buttons to MIDI CCs for convenience.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #19
Farakeys

Quote:
Two points:

1. Based on my last 5 days of working with the MK3, 95% of it's value is via machine software (which embeds nicely in reaper as a VSTi FWIW) or rather non-MIDI mode.
You are right!! I've bought Maschine primarily to compose (quick ideas) in Maschine Software, as an integrated solution to other Stuff i use like Komplete, Traktor and so.

Quote:
Two points:
2. If you only bought it as a controller, I see well, as just another "thing with a bunch of buttons that sends MIDI cc" making it not that much different than other controllers.
I've bought it primarly as a composing tool. But after using it for a while (i felt in love with the Encoders and the Pads) i decided to use it as a controller in some live band projects, as a complement to my Synthesizers and Keyboard controller.
It is a very powerful controller, and the Controller Editor is very goof indeed! You can work on it to behave like almost whatever you want: MPC, Sample trigger, play notes, Chords, progressions, control the mixer, etc

Quote:
That being said, why exactly are you using MCU for #2? I'm totally ignorant with MCU so pardon my lack of knowing but I more mean it's just a big controller with buttons and it wouldn't take that long to just use Reaper's learn function for most of what is there (though I'm assuming the are MCU advantages I'm missing).
Visual Feedback from the DAW. When you play live, you usually have a playlist with a bunch of songs (i'm getting over 100 songs in total for the 3 bands at this moment).
In my setup, i have several Reaper projects (one for each song) with several VST instruments and lots of tracks.
The show playlist consists in a project with one tab for each song. I use the controller to switch between tabs.
I love to get some visual feedback from Hardware itself, as it shows the name of the tracks in that project (song), which allows me to choose between then on the Fly (Record Arm, Select, etc) without having to keep my eye on the computer.

Quote:
I'm using it as both, A) with Maschine either as standalone (for quick ideas), B) Maschine embedded in Reaper as VST and lastly, C) MIDI mode controller when I just want to record MIDI notes directly in via pads without using Maschine and also mapping a handful of buttons to MIDI CCs for convenience.
Nice! You are totally covered!!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farakeys View Post

Visual Feedback from the DAW. When you play live, you usually have a playlist with a bunch of songs (i'm getting over 100 songs in total for the 3 bands at this moment).
In my setup, i have several Reaper projects (one for each song) with several VST instruments and lots of tracks.
The show playlist consists in a project with one tab for each song. I use the controller to switch between tabs.
I love to get some visual feedback from Hardware itself, as it shows the name of the tracks in that project (song), which allows me to choose between then on the Fly (Record Arm, Select, etc) without having to keep my eye on the computer.
Aha! That's the piece I was missing!

Quote:
Nice! You are totally covered!!
I'm totally impressed with it, if I'm not micing a real drummer I usually compose MIDI drums in real time with a controller by playing the parts on my Keyboard (Nektar P6) - then someone suggested the pads on the AKAI MPD218 might work better, they did work quite a bit better (I need good dynamics/velocity), Then while brushing up on the MPD218, I saw a video of someone comparing it's pads to the MK3 and I was sold.

I'd wanted a Maschine for awhile but wasn't that serious about it and that was my excuse LOL but so far I absolutely love it both from a compositional and performance perspective. I was impressed enough that I'm now "finger practicing" daily and trying to view pads as notes and working out what basic music theory (triads, scales et al) look like on 16 pads so that I can start using it that way too aka no limits.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #21
Farakeys

Quote:
I was impressed enough that I'm now "finger practicing" daily and trying to view pads as notes and working out what basic music theory (triads, scales et al) look like on 16 pads so that I can start using it that way too aka no limits.
Awesome!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #22
cpaf

Default UPDATE: Moving to Cubase (sry!)

Hi anyone interested!

The project has been mitigated to Cubase 10 pro instead. I really love the flexibility of Cubase, but I do find it too "reaper"-ish, and not comfy enough for everyday composition. I will still use Reaper for technical stuff related to game audio.

You can see what I have ended up doing in Cubase (which has a really powerful flexibility tool with its macros and Project Logical Editor - though still not like Reaper with Lua scripts) in this thread on the official NI Maschine Area forum: https://www.native-instruments.com/…...guide-to-mas…/

The final "product" is:

- Control basic Cubase stuff (transport/metronome among other)

- Control track visibility of instrument folders in Cubase

- All instruments are used in Komplete Kontrol where its parameters are controlled by the MK3

- Playing notes with the pads

- Changing keyswitches with the pads

I have uploaded my Key Commands. My Master Template (though you should make your own! but use it for reference). My Generic Remote file. My Controller Editor Midi-Mode Template for Maschine MK3.