Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default Disable Windows 10 hotkeys while working in REAPER

Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can disable all of the annoying windows hotkeys while working in REAPER? The Windows OS is STILL too stupid to ignore hotkeys that are used by another application, and so many of my mapped hotkeys from the Mac have since been switched to using the Windows key (now that I am cruelly forced to work on a PC), and thus most are totally unusable thanks to Windows grabbing the hotkeys for its own stupid uses.

I have AutoHotkey installed, but am stumped as to how to configure it to kill Windows 10 functionality mapped to any windows+key combination so that REAPER can use the Windows key for action shortcut mapping. The most annoying of all, though, is the windows+tab "Task View" switch. Ugh.

Please help! I really am at a huge productivity loss here trying to remap and relearn shortcuts because of the stupid Windows OS hotkey behavior!
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
earhax

By the way, Pro Tools on PC can use Windows key shortcuts, and seems to override the built-in Windows OS hotkey functionality. So I don't see why REAPER can't do this as well, being that REAPER is superior to Pro Tools in just about every other way.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
EvilDragon

If you're talking about Win+<something> combinations, this cannot be done. Those combinations are reserved by the OS. This is unlikely to change because they are supposed to work system-wide regardless of application. It's actually a great thing, as far as I'm concerned, and is exactly there for workflow purposes, particularly when multitasking.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #4
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
my mapped hotkeys from the Mac have since been switched to using the Windows key
You should be using the CTRL and ALT keys to re-define your Mac hotkeys.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
EvilDragon

That too...
Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
You should be using the CTRL and ALT keys to re-define your Mac hotkeys.
Yes, except that I have so many shortcuts using combinations of shift, control, option, and command as modifiers that it would take days to completely overhaul my whole shortcut setup, and even longer to retrain my muscle memory.

Also, with a Mac, there are actually 4 modifier keys (5 if you count the function key, but that one doesn't always work super well when used with other modifiers). Windows basically only allows me to use 3: control, alt, and shift. This is one reason why I vastly prefer the Mac for pro audio use (among so, so many other reasons).

Also, the Mac actually lets me control *ALL* of the system shortcuts, enabling/disabling them and reassigning their hotkeys as I see fit, as opposed to *forcing* me to have them set in stone the way Windows does.

But unfortunately, my current employer doesn't see the productivity advantages of investing in a Mac for me. So here I am, wasting hours of my time trying to find a way to make Windows work smarter so that I can too.

The even more troublesome part of this problem, though, is that if I change the whole hotkey setup for my work PC, I'll be all screwed up when I go home to work on a REAPER project on my Mac.

I appreciate the responses thus far. But I know there is some way to do what I want here - even if it requires some registry hacking to accomplish it. I'm holding out for someone to reply who has figured that part out.

I've managed to disable some of the Windows shortcuts using AutoHotkey, but am just not sure how to write the script to disable the rest while the active application is REAPER. I sure hope that someone else has figured that part out.

Last edited by earhax; 06-19-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
James HE

https://www.isumsoft.com/it/disable-...in-windows-10/

This will disable some (most?) of the keys, at least in windows 7 for me.

The desktop navigation hotkeys (like WIN + TAB) cant seem to be turned off, but at least this frees up a few things.

Not ideal. For me I'd rather turn everything off except WIN + R - but anyway, I've learned to live without the run shortcut.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
James HE

This will turn off WIN + TAB

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/flip-3d-feature-windows

not sure if this applies to WIN 10 though...

Ahh spoke too soon - REAPER can's see WIN + TAB even with this disabled

*But! maybe you can do something with WIN + TAB in AutoHotkey now?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
https://www.isumsoft.com/it/disable-...in-windows-10/

This will disable some (most?) of the keys, at least in windows 7 for me.

The desktop navigation hotkeys (like WIN + TAB) cant seem to be turned off, but at least this frees up a few things.

Not ideal. For me I'd rather turn everything off except WIN + R - but anyway, I've learned to live without the run shortcut.
Thanks, James! I've already done that as well. However, the following keys with the Win key as a modifier will still do other things I haven't figured out how to disable yet:

Tab, x, i, o, p, s, n, l, f, g, k, w, u

And there may be others. These are just the alpha keys that I tested with the Win key that I found still do things in Windows, *DESPITE* having enabled the group policy to "Turn off Windows Key hotkeys". Really annoying and misleading to have that group policy option, yet still have so many Windows hotkeys that aren't actually disabled by it. Thanks again, Microshaft! LOL!

By the way, using the following script with AutoHotkey will at least disable the Windows 10 start menu from popping open every time you hit the Windows key.

LWin & vk07::return
LWin::return
RWin & vk07::return
RWin::return

Last edited by earhax; 06-19-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
James HE

Quote:
Thanks, James! I've already done that as well. However, the following keys with the Win key as a modifier will still do other things I haven't figured out how to disable yet:

Tab, x, i, o, p, s, n, l, f, g, k, w, u
wierd - only p, l, u are not disabled here.

somehow version specific?

there is this.... https://www.ghacks.net/2015/03/22/ho...ys-in-windows/

which, doesn't work for me in Win 7 pro 64bit. Maybe that will work for you in 10 though.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #11
EvilDragon

That doesn't seem to work here in W10. Not sure if one needs to log off or restart, though, the article doesn't say.

EDIT: OK it actually works! Needs a log-off then log-in! Just disabled Win+E and Win+M. And then Reaper sees these when you want to bind them.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-19-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That doesn't seem to work here in W10. Not sure if one needs to log off or restart, though, the article doesn't say.

EDIT: OK it actually works! Needs a log-off then log-in! Just disabled Win+E and Win+M.

Yes always need to log off / on or restart

I wonder if it's somehow possible with TAB or Space - would you put an ascii character in the data for the registry entry?? might not be possible. Maybe you switch to binary entry to edit that dataand use the hex ascii codes for all characters?

*Damn it - sent myself down a rabbithole - cause I really want Win + up and WIN + Down. lol
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
EvilDragon

With AHK:

https://superuser.com/a/254607

Win+arrow keys I found immensely useful about a billion times. Using Win+Shift+left/right to move a window between monitors is SO DAMN USEFUL.

OP: There's almost ALWAYS a way to do what one wants in Windows. Oftentimes it's not a built-in option, but it can still be done one way or another.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
earhax

Cool. I'll give the other ghacks option a try tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
[s] *But! maybe you can do something with WIN + TAB in AutoHotkey now?
The following script will disable the Win+Tab hotkey in AutoHotkey:

#Tab::

However, this COMPLETELY disables it, meaning you can't use it for anything in REAPER either.

If I could just figure out how to script something in AutoHotkey to *ONLY* work when the active application is REAPER, then I would be set. Pretty easy for me on Mac, not so much on PC.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Try #tab::return

Don't have AHK here so didn't test, but it might work?

Also:

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Context

AHK has fairly good documentation, might be good to peruse it
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
joelsampson

I have a hardware solution --

My "gaming" keyboard, a Logitech G110, has a switch that will turn off the Windows key. I'm not a gamer, but I like the keyboard. It also has multimedia control and volume for standard Windows audio apps (not ASIO).
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Try #tab::return

Don't have AHK here so didn't test, but it might work?

Also:

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Context

AHK has fairly good documentation, might be good to peruse it
Yeah, I read through the documentation, but still can't figure out how to activate certain hotkeys so they only work with a particular application being active - not by window title, but by process name.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
Yeah, I read through the documentation, but still can't figure out how to activate certain hotkeys so they only work with a particular application being active - not by window title, but by process name.
Here is the thread.
You can find my post there with script and comments to it.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177917
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #19
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Here is the thread.
You can find my post there with script and comments to it.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177917
Thanks, vitalker. I already have the functionality you described working. But the problem is, when you disable these hotkeys in AutoHotkey, you can no longer assign them to actions in REAPER - the hotkeys are disabled for *ALL* applications.

What I need to figure out is how to disable the win+key hotkeys *except* for when the active application is REAPER. But if REAPER is the active application, the keystroke command will be sent to REAPER instead of letting the Windows OS capture it and trigger the default functionality (which can't seem to be disabled through group policy, or even registry hacks AFAIK).
Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #20
vitalker

Quote:
Thanks, vitalker. I already have the functionality you described working. But the problem is, when you disable these hotkeys in AutoHotkey, you can no longer assign them to actions in REAPER - the hotkeys are disabled for *ALL* applications.
No, it worked for me in Reaper.
Update: hm, ok, doesn't work here, sorry, but it worked on Windows 7!

Last edited by vitalker; 06-20-2018 at 03:40 AM.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #21
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
No, it worked for me in Reaper.
Update: hm, ok, doesn't work here, sorry, but it worked on Windows 7!
Yep. That figures.

DAMN YOU, WINDOWS 10! LOL
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
flipotto

Quote:

What I need to figure out is how to disable the win+key hotkeys *except* for when the active application is REAPER. But if REAPER is the active application, the keystroke command will be sent to REAPER instead of letting the Windows OS capture it and trigger the default functionality (which can't seem to be disabled through group policy, or even registry hacks AFAIK).

You could try - tried it and it does block LWin key from working when REAPER is not active. However, it does open start menu when REAPER is active

Code:
#IfWinNotActive REAPER

LWin:: return ; hotkeys here

#IfWinNotActive
This works in REAPER - however, you must hold left window then c, to get msgbox.

Code:
#IfWinActive REAPER 

<#c::MsgBox, , , LWin + c,  2

#ifwinactive
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #23
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
This works in REAPER - however, you must hold left window then c, to get msgbox.

Code:
#IfWinActive REAPER 

<#c::MsgBox, , , LWin + c,  2

#ifwinactive
Okay that makes some sense. Can't try it right now, but may have time tomorrow. However, would this still be possible for shortcuts like win+tab? Some Windows hotkeys seem that, without totally disabling the keypresses, they will trigger the functionality in Windows instead of the desired target application.

That's the real problem here. On OS X, I can disable the OS mapped shortcuts, so I can use all 4 modifiers. But with Windows, they are either working as Windows shortcuts, or not at all.

Maybe there's some way to get around this and still use win+key shortcuts that Windows keep control over. I just can't seem to figure out how.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #24
foxAsteria

I use EventGhost for stuff like this. It can detect which app is active and intercept the keys only when Reaper is (with a bit of configuration)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #25
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I use EventGhost for stuff like this. It can detect which app is active and intercept the keys only when Reaper is (with a bit of configuration)
Whoa. I've used several automation programs, and some of them weren't free. But this sounds like it puts them all to shame, and it's free to boot. Wish I'd learned about EventGhost years ago. Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic but skeptical until I can successfully use it to remap win+tab to a REAPER action. But if this works, I'll be forever grateful to you for having recommend it!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic but skeptical until I can successfully use it to remap win+tab to a REAPER action. But if this works, I'll be forever grateful to you for having recommend it!
Yea, been using it for years for all kinds of stuff. It's great. All you should have to do is add a keyboard plugin and some "send keystroke to window" actions. Lemme know if you need help or just ask on the forums. The dev is really quick to help.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #27
flipotto

Quote:
Whoa. I've used several automation programs, and some of them weren't free. But this sounds like it puts them all to shame, and it's free to boot. Wish I'd learned about EventGhost years ago. Thanks for the tip!

Autohotkey will do this

Do you want to keep win + tab working as normal when REAPER is NOT active?
When you run this script -
Press win + tab with REAPER active it will show the msgbox
Press win + tab with REAPER NOT active it will do regular windows function

Code:
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
return
#ifwinactive REAPER
#tab::MsgBox,,,Win + tab pressed, 3
#ifWinActive
Old 06-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #28
earhax

Quote:
Autohotkey will do this

Do you want to keep win + tab working as normal when REAPER is NOT active?
When you run this script -
Press win + tab with REAPER active it will show the msgbox
Press win + tab with REAPER NOT active it will do regular windows function

Code:
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
return
#ifwinactive REAPER
#tab::MsgBox,,,Win + tab pressed, 3
#ifWinActive
Sorry, but this doesn't work. I eliminated all but the script you supplied from my ahk script, saved, and reloaded it, and win+tab still has the exact same functionality when working in REAPER as anywhere else - the windows task view pops up. I'm not sure if you are also on Windows 10, or if you've actually tested this, but it does not work.

EDIT: I figured it wasn't working because the "winactive" isn't actually ever "REAPER" when working in REAPER: it is the name of the active project, followed by REAPER, version no./x64 and registration info. But changing one line does make win+tab pop up the message box.
Code:
#ifwinactive ahk_exe reaper.exe
HOWEVER, This still doesn't solve the issue that win+tab cannot be used as a shortcut within REAPER. So while I can remap keys while working with the active process being reaper.exe, I still cannot explicitly use them as shortcuts for REAPER.

Again, the real problem here isn't remapping windows key shortcuts - the problem is only allowing those key combinations to be seen by the active application (reaper.exe), and to be invisible to the Windows operating system.

Last edited by earhax; 06-14-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added emphasis
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #29
flipotto

Hmm...
I tested it before I posted it.
I am away from computer right now.
Will check in a bit.

I am on win 10
Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #30
earhax

Quote:
Yea, been using it for years for all kinds of stuff. It's great. All you should have to do is add a keyboard plugin and some "send keystroke to window" actions. Lemme know if you need help or just ask on the forums. The dev is really quick to help.
Yeah... I need help LOL! Kind of lost with this, and not enough time to spend trying to figure it out, or to post on the eventghost forums in the hopes that someone who knows about using this stuff with REAPER will be able to answer.

If you can please just let me know how I would go about capturing all of the keyboard shortcuts using the windows key, and making sure that, while the reaper.exe process is the active/current/focused application, that those shortcuts should be sent to the active process/Window, and *NOT* intercepted by the Windows OS to trigger their built-in functionality in Windows 10, I would be eternally grateful!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #31
earhax

Quote:
Hmm...
I tested it before I posted it.
I am away from computer right now.
Will check in a bit.

I am on win 10
Hmm. I wonder if it may have something to do with the version of WinX. I'm on Enterprise. Or maybe some other compatibility/version difference in the AHK version. But so far, the only way I get anything to work just in reaper is by targeting the exe/process that is active, since the active window doesn't work.

And again, even if I can get this to allow me to pop up the message box with win+tab while REAPER is active, it still won't let me map win+tab to an action in REAPER.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
foxAsteria

Ok I tested in EG and it successfully intercepts the keys. I'll make a screenshot on how to set it up later today. It may be that you first need to disable the alt key from focusing the menu in prefs/keyboard/multitouch. Because I don't know why EG would work over AHK.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
earhax

Quote:
Ok I tested in EG and it successfully intercepts the keys. I'll make a screenshot on how to set it up later today.
Can you hear that? It's the sound of birds and choirs of angels singing!

You, my friend, are a lifesaver! Thank you!!!

BTW, if you want to DM me and send me your PayPal contact, I'd be happy to donate a 6-pack/bottle of wine in gratitude for helping me to FINALLY solve this problem that has been haunting me since 2015 (when I made the switch to REAPER, had to use it on a PC, and felt the sting of only being able to truly utilize 3 key modifiers instead of 4).

Also, if this really works, I wonder if it may even be possible to somehow create additional key modifiers. I won't hold my breath there. But I know something like this is somewhat possible using AHK (syntax is something like "Numpad1 & Numpad2::SendEvent"), but it requires that the keys are hit in the sequence listed.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #34
flipotto

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder if it may have something to do with the version of WinX. I'm on Enterprise. Or maybe some other compatibility/version difference in the AHK version. But so far, the only way I get anything to work just in reaper is by targeting the exe/process that is active, since the active window doesn't work.

And again, even if I can get this to allow me to pop up the message box with win+tab while REAPER is active, it still won't let me map win+tab to an action in REAPER.
Sorry forgot to include the title match mode

Code:
#SingleInstance, force
#Persistent
SetTitleMatchMode, fast
SetTitleMatchMode, 2 ; partial match is fine

Return
#tab::return ; Win + tab is blocked

#ifwinactive REAPER ; 
#tab::SendMessage,0x0111,40001,0,,ahk_class REAPERwnd ; 40001 is the command id to insert new track
#ifWinActive
Run this code as it's own script.
On my machine - if REAPER is active window (the main REAPER window is active) it will insert a new track when you press the windows + tab.

If any other window is ACTIVE, like actions, it will not do anything - win + tab will be blocked.

Last edited by flipotto; 06-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #35
flipotto

Quote:
EDIT: I figured it wasn't working because the "winactive" isn't actually ever "REAPER" when working in REAPER: it is the name of the active project, followed by REAPER, version no./x64 and registration info.
This depends on the SetTitileMatchMode, the default is 3 and that must be exact. However, when you settitlematchmode, 2 "2: A window's title can contain WinTitle anywhere inside it to be a match." See link.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #36
foxAsteria

This should do it.

When you add the "send keystrokes" (under "Window" section after pressing the +action button) action I think you need the check the "use alternate method" box.

All this does is reassign alt+tab to f13 (not on most keyboards but recognized by Reaper). So you can then assign it to another action. Hit alt-tab once and the event will show up in the log and you can just drag it to the macro to assign it.

Hang on lemme test it first...Ok yea it works, but the action shows up as alt+f13 in Reaper. You can change the F13 assignment to suit your needs, just put it in the curly brackets.

My pp email is ork_13 at yahoo if you really feel so inclined, but not necessary. (I can't ever manage to send DM unless it's in reply).

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #37
earhax

Quote:
Sorry forgot to include the title match mode

Code:
#SingleInstance, force
#Persistent
SetTitleMatchMode, fast
SetTitleMatchMode, 2 ; partial match is fine

Return
#tab::return ; Win + tab is blocked

#ifwinactive REAPER ; 
#tab::SendMessage,0x0111,40001,0,,ahk_class REAPERwnd ; 40001 is the command id to insert new track
#ifWinActive
Run this code as it's own script.
On my machine - if REAPER is active window (the main REAPER window is active) it will insert a new track when you press the windows + tab.

If any other window is ACTIVE, like actions, it will not do anything - win + tab will be blocked.
Oh wow. Okay. Now this could work. I didn't know I could use ahk to send a REAPER action command without binding a keyboard shortcut to the action. Well, this changes everything!

I'll have to test it out tomorrow to see if I can get the same technique to work with the custom script I'm running. Probably just need to figure out the command ID for it. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: I tried making this work with the command ID for the custom script action I'm trying to map win+tab to, and unfortunately, it didn't work.

I replaced:
Code:
with:
Code:
	#tab::SendMessage,0x0111,_RSd38c20f38436283d7129f8bf8dd2822ad1ddabee,0,,ahk_class REAPERwnd ; _RSd38c20f38436283d7129f8bf8dd2822ad1ddabee is the command id for my custom script action

Last edited by earhax; 06-17-2019 at 04:24 AM. Reason: testing results
Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #38
earhax

Quote:

This should do it.

When you add the "send keystrokes" (under "Window" section after pressing the +action button) action I think you need the check the "use alternate method" box.

All this does is reassign alt+tab to f13 (not on most keyboards but recognized by Reaper). So you can then assign it to another action. Hit alt-tab once and the event will show up in the log and you can just drag it to the macro to assign it.

Hang on lemme test it first...Ok yea it works, but the action shows up as alt+f13 in Reaper. You can change the F13 assignment to suit your needs, just put it in the curly brackets.

My pp email is ork_13 at yahoo if you really feel so inclined, but not necessary. (I can't ever manage to send DM unless it's in reply).
Awesome! I'm out of the studio for the day, but will give this a shot tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again!

EDIT: I tested this out. But I can't seem to find a "send keystrokes" action. The closest thing I see is "Emulate Keystrokes". But it seems like it would work the same as what is shown in your screenshot.

Also, in your setup you're reassigning Alt+Tab to F13. What I'm trying to do is specifically send a Win+Tab to REAPER, not reassign it to some other keystroke.

Do you think this would still be possible with EventGhost? If so, how do I set it to send the keystroke to the REAPER arrangement view, or just to the REAPER application?

Actually, I just tried it, and {Win+Tab} Actually sends the key combo to REAPER without it being intercepted by Windows OS! Fantastic! Hopefully the same will work for the other problem keystrokes I can't seem to disable through registry hacks.

Actually, I just tried reclaiming the use of Win+I and Win+P, and both of those worked as well! HAHA! YES! SUCCESS!

Thank you again!

Last edited by earhax; 06-17-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Test results
Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 AM   #39
earhax

@flipotto
Do you know if there is some way to make this ahk script work to run a custom/ReaScript action instead of one of the native REAPER actions with the short/simple command ID?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #40
flipotto

Quote:
@flipotto
Do you know if there is some way to make this ahk script work to run a custom/ReaScript action instead of one of the native REAPER actions with the short/simple command ID?

Does not look easy, based on this, it seems that the custom actions id's may change at runtime...

Maybe something here...

I suppose you could have it send the keystrokes you have mapped to the custom action.