Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
drew
Mobile

Default Loop scrub (following on from Art's post) + scrub from play cursor point.

Hi Art - very glad you brought this up (excellent example btw) and didn't want it to get lost in the old pre2 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Justin - and all -

I've created a file showing how loop scrubbing works in Audition. The file is at http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/...0scrubbing.wav - about 5Mb.

[..]

The file starts with the same very short music segment played back normally three times, so you know how it sounds (you'll probably recognise it anyway). Then I drag the play cursor across the same part of the file with Audition's loop scrubbing enabled. It sounds pretty gross but you should be able to hear how it is sampling the file continuously in tiny loops at normal speed, as I very slowly move the cursor to the right.

At a certain point (marked in the file by a cue) you'll hear that the cursor has come to the transient of a subtle rimshot (or the like). I rest there for a moment so the transient repeats about a thousand times! But that should give you an idea of how tight the loop is. Then I back off a bit before the transient, then go back to the transient edge, then back off a tiny bit as that's where I want to cut. Then you hear three short normal plays from where the cursor has come to rest (and the playback starts with the target rimshot).

And just for the hell of it, this is the capture of those cues in CueListTool - File: Loop scrubbing.wav

1) unknown: : 0:01.086 Fragment of tune, three times
2) unknown: : 0:11.660 Loop scrubbing same part
3) unknown: : 0:24.983 Here is the rimshot transient
4) unknown: : 0:28.578 Back a bit off the transient
5) unknown: : 0:30.353 Back onto the transient
6) unknown: : 0:31.173 Yup, this is the point
7) unknown: : 0:32.681 Playing three times from that point

I hope that illustrates how loop scrubbing in Reaper might be implemented. Of course the Cockos team might want to improve on that, eg with a user-configurable loop length (with preset minimum and default value) somewhere in prefs... Audition has no adjustments to this facility.
Just to second the usefulness of this - for many radio people it's something instantly familiar to preview in this way when finding an exact spot, since cueing up CDs & DATs is done in a very similar way. Of course for those of us who started with tape the scrub/jog mode feels like home, too

Here's one other radio/post-prod thought, Art & others. Have you found yourself wanting to go into scrub/jog directly from playback? I think it would feel very fluid and natural to be able to do so when editing. It worked like this in SABRE/SoundStation and was faster because you didn't need to pause and then get the mouse to the play cursor first.

The point is, during a speech-editing session you wouldn't stay in scrub/jog mode all the time and it's far sexier (and more like tape) to just jump straight into scrub and roll back a bit from the play point rather than clicking somewhere earlier in the timeline (IMO). Interested to hear your thoughts on this!

drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Heading for bed, but briefly, if you press pause (enter) then left or right arrow key, you are straight into scrub from the pause point, no mouse required. Precise operation may depend on your scrub prefs settings. And zoom level.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
drew
Mobile

Crikey! That's cool.. being zoom level dependent is pretty smart. Even as an effect it's great - tapping the keys being very different from the sound of mouse scrub.

I just tried tapping rhythmically over a violin concerto and I made..
a new violin concerto (96k)!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote