Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
tack
Human being with feelings

Default Three easily fixed UI buglets with program changes (Fixed in Reaper 6.0!)

I implore the Reaper Gods to address these three little issues which are real workflow killers for users of Reaticulate and in general anyone who deals with program change MIDI events.

1. Extremely difficult to click on program change bars to move Fixed in 5.985!

Trying to grab the little bar for the program change event frequently results in a miss. It appears that one must specifically click on the right half of the bar.

It should be possible to drag by clicking on anywhere within the bar, perhaps even with a few pixels tolerance on either side, and the text.

2. Program changes do not respect "CC selection follows note selection" Fixed in Reaper 6.0!

When "CC selection follows note selection" is enabled, selecting the note does not select the program event.

Moreover, even if the program change event is explicitly added to the selection, moving the note unselects the program change just as it's dragged. (Which I suppose is consistent with CC behavior too, it just prevents me from working around it in scripting.)

3. Erase tool doesn't allow side approachFixed in Reaper 6.0!

Erasing program changes requires clicking exactly right (and again see #1) which makes them cumbersome to delete in comparison to CCs.

Last edited by tack; 12-05-2019 at 06:16 PM.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Klangfarben

+1 for both of these fixes! Very much needed.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
_Stevie_

I might at that it's VERY hard to delete the PCs with the eraser as well. You can't just drag over it but you have to really hit the PC and press the mouse button.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I might at that it's VERY hard to delete the PCs with the eraser as well. You can't just drag over it but you have to really hit the PC and press the mouse button.
That's a good one too. I've added it to the list.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Awesome, thanks Jason!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
When "CC selection follows note selection" is enabled, selecting the note does not select the program event.
In fact the Program Change midi event is not one of the CC midi events but a different class. So this definitively is not a bug (but maybe a viable Featured Request).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
In fact the Program Change midi event is not one of the CC midi events but a different class.
True. Although there are a few ways in which Reaper encourages us to think of PCs as events that should be treated similarly to CCs. Two examples: the lanes in the MIDI editor that hold program events is still called a "CC lane"; the MIDI_GetCC() API returns program changes.

So while program changes are a different MIDI event type than CC, I still feel like the current behavior somewhat violates the Principle of Least Astonishment.

In any case, I suppose Justin and schwa will be the arbiters of what's worth doing, whether the thing is a bug or a feature. Especially considering that in practice these types of low grade usability annoyances seemed to be prioritized on par with feature requests of similar complexity. I'll move that into the FR section if this thread doesn't get any traction.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
tack

I'm delighted to report that as of Reaper 6.0, all these things have been resolved!

#1 was fixed in 5.985, but has been improved in Reaper 6 with the mouse cursor changing when hovering over the drag target of the program change bar. This makes false clicks much less likely.

#2 is enabled via the option "Options: Bank/program change events follow note selection when CC selection follows note selection"

Thanks very much to schwa and Justin for tackling these. It truly makes working with PCs (and Reaticulate) much more pleasant!

Last edited by tack; 12-05-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
_Stevie_

Hoooray, thanks Justin & schwa!