Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
keyman_sam
Human being with feelings

Default Know of any midi quantize plugin?

1). Do you know any plugin for free, that quantizes midi input?
2). I found out one called Visual Quantizer, but the DX wrapper does not see it! It doesnt load onto Reaper or EXT by its own because its apparently not a VST plugin.
3). How do i access the JS midi plugins? The plugins in the Jesusonic folder seem to be all audio related.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
alex zonder

in the other thread I just suggested you'd try out nicfit's beatsync plug out

http://asseca.com/nicfit/index.html
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
keyman_sam

I did try that one out and it didnt work out for me. There's no label of how you're supposed to set what to what and how to change the resolution, etc. All it has is two bars with no description whatsoever. I was hoping for a more detailed plugin like Cakewalk's quantize MFX.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
keyman_sam

i also tried the MFX wrapper with cakewalk's MFX quantize. Reaper simply crashed. The wrapper works in EXT though.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
i also tried the MFX wrapper with cakewalk's MFX quantize. Reaper simply crashed. The wrapper works in EXT though.
But if you own eXT why not run it as a VST in REAPER to do the job?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
keyman_sam

Too much CPU usage. The reason i'm using reaper vs sonar is how lightweight it is. I'm simply looking for a straight forward Midi VST/DX quantize plugin. With all the junk thats out there for midi, such as randomizers, CC converters and what not, i'd figured SOMEONE would have written a really basic plugin that can do quantize. Looks like I was wrong. Infact, there's even an "un-quantize" plugin which would humanize your tracks based on various inputs, but there's no quantize plugin.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
alex zonder

Then my last suggestion would be to try if the wrapper will run fine in REAPER when you load it in Acon's free chainer:

http://www.kaosaudio.com/acon-digita...er-101-pcfree/

Had some successes with that one in REAPER's early days

BTW I don't find the REAPER-eXT 1.4 combo that CPU hungry...

Maybe our own IXix could build a quantize plug? who knows. Might be better than a wrapper-in-a-chainer
Old 05-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quantize would be hard in JS because there's no way for the plug to find out where the 1 beat is unless the user always starts the transport from the exact right place. Possible in VST though I think...
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Bevosss

Have you tried running it in Console? Not free though sorry.

http://console.jp/en/download.html
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
xackley

Quote:
Just tried it, reaper didn't crash.
But it didn't do anything either.

It didn't quantize when I Applied FX.

Could be the way reaper processes midi. Sonar has a midi buffer that fills well ahead of play. If reaper processes as it plays, then there is no wiggle room for the Quantizer to move notes left and right.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
keyman_sam

Hah. Knew I shouldnt get too excited about this. Back to square one. WE NEED TEH INPUT quantize. :yawn:
Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
EnzymeX

I'm using this neat little rewire thingy called Ableton Live for input quantize until Reaper's version is ready.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Curious ... what's the most basic midi quantization that would be useful? If there were something just snapped all input to the nearest 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, would that be useful, or is it more groove quantization you guys are talking about?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #14
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Curious ... what's the most basic midi quantization that would be useful? If there were something just snapped all input to the nearest 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, would that be useful, or is it more groove quantization you guys are talking about?
I guess dotted and triplets would be cool as well.
Groove quantisation could always be applied post rec. IMHO, and for this there should be some plugs already.
I mentionned in another thread the "Mfx Script" MIDI scripting plugin which I used in Cubase. It was developed by a MIDI guru who frequented the cubase forum at the time. His website is down, so I guess development has stopped as well. But the version I got could still be made available I guess.It's freeware, so (non-commercial)redistribution should be OK I guess.
Don't know if it works in Reaper though, didn't have the time to test it yet.

Regards
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
keyman_sam

Quote:
Yeah, as funkster said, triplets would be very useful too. I'm not asking for groove quantizing because it could be applies AFTER you've done recording the entire basic loop. So, just snapping to grid while recording would be useful, thats all. This is how REASON does its quantizing in realtime.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
I guess dotted and triplets would be cool as well.
Groove quantisation could always be applied post rec. IMHO, and for this there should be some plugs already.
I mentionned in another thread the "Mfx Script" MIDI scripting plugin which I used in Cubase. It was developed by a MIDI guru who frequented the cubase forum at the time. His website is down, so I guess development has stopped as well. But the version I got could still be made available I guess.It's freeware, so (non-commercial)redistribution should be OK I guess.
Don't know if it works in Reaper though, didn't have the time to test it yet.

Regards
Raphael
could you post the link please?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #17
cAPSLOCK

This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE one for me.

As I see it there are three sorts of quantize methods.

There is input quantize, which should not be confused with the other two. This is as far as I know, a destructive process. I know it is highly wanted by lots of folks.

There is the "built into the track control panel" quantize (like you see in Logic) that could be used in an input role or as a nondestructive effect after recording.

And there is the plugin type, which the Sonar users are used to. It's advantages are it is non destructive, could conceivably be used to input quantize, and takes no resources or TCP space for those who do not use it.

I don't really care how it's implemented as long as it is:

1. Non destructive. I want to keep what I play and quantize like a plugin.

2. Comprehensive in terms of binary and ternary divisions (whole, half, quarter, ... triplets etc) Odd division would be a Reaperesque bonus, though maybe rarely useful.

3. Percentage based. I want full control over how much I quantize.

As a bonus, I would also find it useful to be able to quantize to a groove template (a small MID file??) Or quantize to another midi track, or the transients of an audio track.

Anyway... that's how I see it.

cAPSBEG
cAPSLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
funkster1

Quote:
could you post the link please?
Here it is Sam,

http://download.yousendit.com/48D12FCC352AF937

The download link will be available for 7 days or 100 downloads.

Please read the 'README II.txt' textfile in the archive.
It contains some explanations/descriptions for using it.

Cheers
Raphael
Old 05-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #19
scottdru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE one for me.

As I see it there are three sorts of quantize methods.

There is input quantize, which should not be confused with the other two. This is as far as I know, a destructive process. I know it is highly wanted by lots of folks.

There is the "built into the track control panel" quantize (like you see in Logic) that could be used in an input role or as a nondestructive effect after recording.

And there is the plugin type, which the Sonar users are used to. It's advantages are it is non destructive, could conceivably be used to input quantize, and takes no resources or TCP space for those who do not use it.

I don't really care how it's implemented as long as it is:

1. Non destructive. I want to keep what I play and quantize like a plugin.

2. Comprehensive in terms of binary and ternary divisions (whole, half, quarter, ... triplets etc) Odd division would be a Reaperesque bonus, though maybe rarely useful.

3. Percentage based. I want full control over how much I quantize.

As a bonus, I would also find it useful to be able to quantize to a groove template (a small MID file??) Or quantize to another midi track, or the transients of an audio track.

Anyway... that's how I see it.

cAPSBEG
Errm . . . +1 to ALL of that!
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Try this VST? Put it on a track and select "record output (midi)."

If the track already holds a midi recording, I think this will be destructive, or you can route midi from another track to be safe. Technically I think it could even work as input quantize but you wouldn't want to listen to it while recording because of the super high latency required to allow enough buffer to move notes backwards.

I should say I never use midi quantize, so this might not be anything like what you guys want -- if not, sorry! Also stashbox is sometimes weird with dlls so lmk if it doesn't download properly and I'll find somewhere else to stick it.

.. adding, before anyone has the chance to be disappointed, this is really basic. Doesn't handle tempo or time sig changes, etc.

Last edited by schwa; 05-21-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #21
alex zonder

Quote:

I should say I never use midi quantize
nor did I but now I'll see what use it can be... schwa you're amazing: providing the community with midi input quantize and note namer plugins on one and the same day... great work!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
alex zonder

bump!

keyman sam, keyman sam are you there? Read my lips:

schwa ac-tu-al-ly pos-ted a mi-di in-put quan-tize plug for you!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
keyman_sam

Will try later today. Thanks schwa!! I downloaded the link posted previous by another user, but it has all text files and i dont know how to use those scripts. Will get back later today. I promise.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #24
drew
Mobile

cAPS - I'm with you on the non-destructive quantize.

Incidentally I don't see any reason why input quantize couldn't be non-destructive too since it can be useful to have both the "as-played" and "auto-tidied" versions available.

But here's my worry about the chances of this being implemented any time soonish...

The MIDI data in RPP files pegs timing of each event relative to the previous - with a number representing ticks since the last event, rather than being a number of ticks offset from the item start position.

I imagine the only way quantize could be made non-destructive would be if each event was stored with ticks-from-start values for both original (as played/manually set) and optimised (quantized/automatically set) positions - as it is there's no way to revert (I can't imagine trying to keep an offset from the current position would be very practical in the present way).

Changing the format now may not be something J&C are too keen to consider!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #25
jaldridge6
Banned

wouldn't it be better to apply quantization after recording...?
jaldridge6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #26
drew
Mobile

I'm pretty sure certain implementations of Input Quantize only do the quantize when you stop recording and others show it on the grid as you're recording. Either way just saying it's probably best to not be destructive IMO!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #27
Bevosss

So what's the quantize we have now? Is it destructive , because the only way to reverse it is the undo history window?
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #28
drew
Mobile

It's destructive, Bevosss, since the original timing values are not preserved aside from in the undo buffer. Here's an explanation for anyone who is unfamiliar with the difference:

With non-destructive you can at any time revert to the original timings for all or selected notes. Particularly useful if you quantize and then later (not immediately) decide that you want to restore the natural as-played feel for any part. For instance a MIDI drum pattern may sound better in general quantized but the fills may have lost something... this may not always be obvious at the moment you have just quantized, so the undo history won't help you if it's destructive. Keeping an unquantized version as a seperate take is the only option right now, but comping in this case is not a very elegant option IMO.

Another often forgotten factor is that you may quantize once but then want to quantize to a different groove or timing - in which case of course you want to start from the original timings and not from an already quantized version! (A bit like changing compression on an audio item.. you'd want to start with unprocessed audio again)

Anything I've missed here, I wonder?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #29
schwa
Administrator

Anybody get a chance to try out the midi quantize plugin I posted above?

Here's the thing, I think it would be pretty easy to extend this to a groove quantizer. But there would probably be a few rounds of "this part doesn't work the way I wish it did" or "it made my mouse explode" or what have you.

On that topic, can I get some education on midi grooves? Are groove input files simple midi files or are they different? Seems like the most direct way to load a groove would be to sidechain a separate midi input that holds the groove and "learn" it once (because then you can tweak the groove in the midi editor), does that make sense? Or is there a special midi groove file format and people just load them from file?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #30
plush2

schwa, I think grooves are usually a separate file that contains specific groove info (ie. push the beat a bit on 2, pull it a bit on 3) and sometimes contain velocity modifier info as well. I don't know what the standard is as most of my experience with it comes from EnergyXT.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #31
funkster1

Quote:
I downloaded the link posted previous by another user, but it has all text files and i dont know how to use those scripts...
Hi Sam,

the scripting engine is normally supposed to load as a plugin.dll in your VST host of choice and then apply those scripts as presets. However, since it is based on the mfx engine from cakewalk, it doesn't work in all hosts.
It did work in Cubase, since they have a Mfxwrapper dll which can be put in some folder inside the program folder.
But I haven't succeeded to make it work in Reaper.
Sorry for the trouble I may have caused you. I only wanted to help you.

Cheers
Raphael
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #32
Stringer

Wouldn't input quantize turn all of your inspired, emotion-laden, excrutiatingly aesthetic, bordering-on-genius phrasing into robotic rows of happy face notes?

Domo arigato, Mister Roboto, domo, domo . . .

Perhaps "Mister Roboto" would be a good name for the plug.

But then someone will be asking for a "Mister Human" plug to make it sound real again.

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 AM   #33
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
But then someone will be asking for a "Mister Human" plug to make it sound real again.

John
Tobybear labeled his Humanisator MIDI plug as an "anti-quantizer"

http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html
Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #34
mr. moon

Quote:
Wouldn't input quantize turn all of your inspired, emotion-laden, excrutiatingly aesthetic, bordering-on-genius phrasing into robotic rows of happy face notes?

John
Modern music no longer requires "talent" or "feeling"

...unless those are VST plugins to fix the mix and polish the turd.

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #35
tspring

Quote:
Heh, and then there the unfortunates like myself who think that we have poured forth "inspired, emotion-laden, excrutiatingly aesthetic, bordering-on-genius phrasing" until we listen to recording of it.

Yikes! Bring on the quantizing and happy face notes!

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #36
Stringer

Yeah, I know, sometimes quantize is good. But to quantize from the get go without even giving yourself a chance to play it right means you will never improve as a player. Or at least it seems like an obstacle.

At any rate, it was fun to imagine the marching rows of robotic happy face notes.

John
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #37
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #38
Gerry G

Default Mr Music

That is just beautiful.

Have you got one for "CAN"?