Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
tusitala
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's Icon as a question mark in the dock, why?

Hi,

If i open Reaper, and then right click on the docked icon to "keep it on the dock", upon closing the program the Icon keeps showing up as a question mark...

and i can't keep it there...because if i click on the question mark nothing happens...

does anyone knows why?

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
tusitala

Hi...I still cannot keep Reaper's icon in the dock...i think it must be at least a year now.
It either disappears or duplicates itself.
An since i tried a workaround that was suggested to me through this forum, every time i turn on my mac the terminal app opens up with a message regarding Reaper.

Has this issue been addressed in the meanwhile?

Thanks a lot for your help

-t
Old 10-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Joe Miller

Try this. Grab the latest Reaper installer and double click the DMG. Drag the Reaper64.app across to your Applications folder, and without doing anything else on the Mac, open Reaper. Once it is open right click on the Reaper dock icon and say keep in dock. After Reaper is closed, it should remain in the dock without a question mark, even after reboot.

This problem of the question mark is caused by a security feature in MacOS called randomization, where it relocates the true location of executable apps in the Applications folder each time they are run, to protect against certain types of malware. The trouble is that it adds an application dragged from a DMG to MacOS database of apps to randomize only on the very first run right after you first dragged the app from the DMG. If you do anything else after that first drag, it forgets about Reaper and you end up with a question mark.

So in a nutshell, you have to mount Reaper's installer DMG, drag the app to Applications, and before running anything else, open the new Reaper app straight away, otherwise it will not pick up and remember Reaper for your dock icon.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
Futur8me

what are the specs of your Mac???.., or is it a hackintosh???.

you should completely erase/format your hard drive and reinstall macOS and then reinstall everything else, this will fix the problem.. if you do it correctly.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
what are the specs of your Mac???.., or is it a hackintosh???.

you should completely erase/format your hard drive and reinstall macOS and then reinstall everything else, this will fix the problem.. if you do it correctly.

Hi,
It's a Mac Pro Trashcan 2013
6 Core, 64gb ram, OSX Sierra 10.12.6

I can't format my hard drive at the moment unfortunately
Old 10-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
humbo

Have you tried to go to your Launchpad and drag the Reaper icon to your dock? Make sure Reaper is not active, though.
humbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
shanabit

I always go to the Reaper Application and in the Applications folder and just drag it to my DOCK, voila. If you want it off the Dock just grab it and drag it up on the desktop and it will go poof and be gone
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
Aux13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I always go to the Reaper Application and in the Applications folder and just drag it to my DOCK, voila. If you want it off the Dock just grab it and drag it up on the desktop and it will go poof and be gone
Same here.
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Same same here.

This question has popped up (no pun intended) a few times on the forum now. Could there be a OSX feature with a bug? (The 'keep in dock' if you launch it some other way business that seems like an unintuitive feature nobody really uses... or something.)

I can tell you the common mistake people make is to launch Reaper from the installer volume or to drag the icon from the installer volume into the dock instead of from the Applications folder - which launches Reaper from the installer volume.

This has come up before and the response was "No, I dragged it from the Applications folder! Really truly!" So hmmm... maybe one of the 'launch an app some older harder way with more steps' features is buggy? But if you drag it from the installer volume to the Applications folder to install and then drag the icon from the Applications folder to the dock it just works.

But then Reaper is one of those apps where you are usually always opening an existing 'document created by it' (project or project template) so 99% of the time launching Reaper is double-clicking on a project file in a Finder window and the dock icon doesn't ever get used. YMMV
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Jesus Christ I hope this was a joke.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:30 AM   #11
Joe Miller

Anyone having the question mark problem, try this:

Open terminal and paste the following then hit ENTER (it may ask you for sudo before this command):

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Reaper.app

The problem is caused by a bug in Gatekeeper Path Randomization on MacOS, where it is quarantining Reaper instead of adding it to the list of known apps. If this fixes it for you, please post back here so we can know once and for all if this fix works for everyone.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
vdubreeze

FWIW, on two different MBPs, both assorted systems until now at 10.11.6, I've always had Reaper on the dock, always updated by copying latest from update image over the previous version in the app folder, and never had the dock icon misbehave.

You can always drag it off the dock and drag the new one to the dock.