Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
Adam12341
Human being with feelings

Default Crackling and popping noises, on brand new computer.

So i just got my brand new computer, specially for audio and video editing. On my old laptop I have experienced this and I thought that it must be my laptop. But now with my new computer it is the same. I record guitars and have virtual amps and effects set. I also use the reaverb plugin that. I hear it most when playing and recording, but it also happens when I playback the recordings. The weird thing is that there were no such noise yesterday, but suddenly without changing any settings it happened.

I have an i5 7400 processor, 8gb of ram and a full of space ssd. What is the problem?
Adam12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
mavericksound

First thing I would try is to up your buffering size and see if that helps: Preferences>Audio>Buffering.

Also, when I had issues with some items not playing in my session, I did a request for a large block size:
Preferences>Audio>Device

I checked request block size and set it to 6000. My problems went away with that. Not sure if that will help the popping issue. I'm assuming your audio interface is your computer? I use an Antelope Orion and had issues with popping, especially on recording, and some of it would get into the file. I had to go into my computer system sound preferences and make sure Orion was NOT set as my computer sound input. It is only my input for Reaper. That fixed the problem.
mavericksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Adam12341

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksound View Post
First thing I would try is to up your buffering size and see if that helps: Preferences>Audio>Buffering.

Also, when I had issues with some items not playing in my session, I did a request for a large block size:
Preferences>Audio>Device

I checked request block size and set it to 6000. My problems went away with that. Not sure if that will help the popping issue. I'm assuming your audio interface is your computer? I use an Antelope Orion and had issues with popping, especially on recording, and some of it would get into the file. I had to go into my computer system sound preferences and make sure Orion was NOT set as my computer sound input. It is only my input for Reaper. That fixed the problem.
Hey I tried lowering the block size on my audio interface and the problem mostly went away, but I still hear some crackling here and there. It is very weird. I would still want to get rid of all the crackling.
Adam12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
dug dog

If you have WIFI enabled, try turning it off.
That has solved many a crackling problem.
Otherwise, try running a DPC latency checker to see if it shows some issues.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
mavericksound

Default Check computer sound input

Another thing to check that worked for pops and crackles: My interface is the Antelope Orion 32, and after some research, found out that I had to make sure my computer sound input was not set for the Orion. Once I set the computer input to built-in, all the crackles went away. So my only input using the audio interface is Reaper... and Pro Tools when I use it.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Geoff-h3o

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksound View Post
Another thing to check that worked for pops and crackles: My interface is the Antelope Orion 32, and after some research, found out that I had to make sure my computer sound input was not set for the Orion. Once I set the computer input to built-in, all the crackles went away. So my only input using the audio interface is Reaper... and Pro Tools when I use it.
Then what's the point of having it if you don't use it?
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
ivansc

O.K. Back to basics. Download and run resplendence.com`s excellent latency checker, with Reaper running concurrently.

The latency checker will highlight any problems you may have weith recording multitrack audio & at least you will have a ground zero to work from.

Let us know what the results are. So many silly little niggly things it COULD be, better to at least have some idea where to start looking.

EDIT: Oops - didnt notice you are on Mac!

Last edited by ivansc; 03-21-2018 at 04:11 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
mavericksound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
Then what's the point of having it if you don't use it?
Geoff you misunderstood. I use the Orion as my i/o interface for Reaper and Pro Tools. I do not select it as an input to my actual Mac. I don't use the Mac input for anything anyway. I do have the output of the Mac (headphone jack) going through the Orion for web playback, iTunes, etc. Output does not cause crackles and pops. Only the input which I don't use for anything... so I keep that as built-in input.