Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-23-2022, 09:23 PM   #161
mpl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hi mpl,
when trying to use your script (for the first time actually) I get an error:

Just synchronized ReaPack so it should be up to date.
Could it be because I'm trying to import from a quite old project (from 2013)?
Could send you the .rpp via PM if it helps.
Thanks.
Hi, yes, seems something changed in structure, send rpp please.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:48 AM   #162
arjunned

Default Feature request?

Hi, mpl!

Wondering if it's possible to implement the below features for this script? It would be a huge time-saver (atleast, for me! ).

1. Import Track Layout as per the source, when importing new tracks. Right now, new tracks are imported with the Global Layout as default. Can there be option to have Mixer and Track Panel Layout retained/copied from the source?

2. Import tracks respecting folder structure from the source. Right now, importing as new tracks breaks parent/child structure of the tracks in the source.

Thanks!
arjunned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #163
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunned View Post
1. Import Track Layout as per the source, when importing new tracks. Right now, new tracks are imported with the Global Layout as default. Can there be option to have Mixer and Track Panel Layout retained/copied from the source?
Added for 2.06
Quote:
2. Import tracks respecting folder structure from the source. Right now, importing as new tracks breaks parent/child structure of the tracks in the source.
Thanks!
By default when you importing track, it is important to reset its structure position (so you can import some track to the wrong level of folder structure). But you can ignore this and import track with their source level position as is - when you click at destination, select 'New track at the end of tracklist, obey structure'.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:43 AM   #164
arjunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Added for 2.06
Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
By default when you importing track, it is important to reset its structure position (so you can import some track to the wrong level of folder structure). But you can ignore this and import track with their source level position as is - when you click at destination, select 'New track at the end of tracklist, obey structure'.
Ah, got it! I completely missed the "obey structure" option.

Would it be possible to have an option to also import assigned 'group flags' from source tracks?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #165
mpl

Quote:
Would it be possible to have an option to also import assigned 'group flags' from source tracks?
added for 2.07,
also added option to import project track group names
Old 12-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #166
arjunned

Quote:
added for 2.07,
also added option to import project track group names
Thanks, mpl!
Old 12-12-2022, 02:40 AM   #167
arjunned

Default It's me, again!

Hey, mpl!

Do the sends and recieves not get copied over anymore in v2.0+? It used to work fine in v1.28. Now, imported tracks don't seem to have sends/recieves as per source.

Source:
>> https://i.imgur.com/KB0VIlM.png

Destination:
>> https://i.imgur.com/NXpjHZq.png

Any chance we can get a "copy source send/receive routing" as well? Unless this option is already there and I've missed it completely!

-Arjun.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:08 AM   #168
arjunned

Default ...

Quote:
Hey, mpl!

Do the sends and recieves not get copied over anymore in v2.0+? It used to work fine in v1.28. Now, imported tracks don't seem to have sends/recieves as per source.

Source:
>> https://i.imgur.com/KB0VIlM.png

Destination:
>> https://i.imgur.com/NXpjHZq.png

Any chance we can get a "copy source send/receive routing" as well? Unless this option is already there and I've missed it completely!

-Arjun.
Just checking in on this, in case a solution is possible.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #169
mpl

Quote:
Hey, mpl!

It was very poor designed so I removed it for v3. Internally I did a code to collect this data for future, noone mentioned it so I didn`t anything with that yet.

What you suggest to do (and how to design, I mean UI) with following scenarios:
1) multiple imported tracks have same send track, this track is not imported
2) multiple imported tracks have same send track, this track is imported as well
3) send track is "already" in the project (like you have "Vocal Hall" in the source project and track with partially matched or same in destination project)
4) you need to saparately add each send track per imported track
5)... maybe other things I don`t see?

I maybe had this previously (too much data int the head, so I probably forgot), but since I will build it from the scratch, it would be probably nice to firstly ask users how they see this should be implemented.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:43 AM   #170
arjunned

Quote:
It was very poor designed so I removed it for v3. Internally I did a code to collect this data for future, noone mentioned it so I didn`t anything with that yet.

What you suggest to do (and how to design, I mean UI) with following scenarios:
1) multiple imported tracks have same send track, this track is not imported
2) multiple imported tracks have same send track, this track is imported as well
3) send track is "already" in the project (like you have "Vocal Hall" in the source project and track with partially matched or same in destination project)
4) you need to saparately add each send track per imported track
5)... maybe other things I don`t see?

I maybe had this previously (too much data int the head, so I probably forgot), but since I will build it from the scratch, it would be probably nice to firstly ask users how they see this should be implemented.
I can see why this is such a rabbit hole.

For what it's worth, very basic send/receive logic was retained when using the below two options from v1.28:

I have mostly only ever used the "Link sources imported as new tracks" function. And that used to work well when you import a set of tracks and want their send/receive logic as per the source tracks.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #171
mpl

Quote:
I can see why this is such a rabbit hole.

For what it's worth, very basic send/receive logic was retained when using the below two options from v1.28:

I have mostly only ever used the "Link sources imported as new tracks" function. And that used to work well when you import a set of tracks and want their send/receive logic as per the source tracks.
See destination menu for 2.08
Old 01-20-2023, 11:00 AM   #172
jessesbakery

I'm trying to use this script for the first time and am getting this error when the action is called:

mpl_ImportSessionData.lua:1615: attempt to call a nil value (global 'ReaPack_BrowsePackages')

Has anyone seen this before and know a way around it?

Thanks!
Jesse
jessesbakery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:33 AM   #173
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesbakery View Post
I'm trying to use this script for the first time and am getting this error when the action is called:

mpl_ImportSessionData.lua:1615: attempt to call a nil value (global 'ReaPack_BrowsePackages')

Has anyone seen this before and know a way around it?

Thanks!
Jesse
Make sure you have installed:
- latest ReaPack
- VariousFunctions package (howtoinstall)

(I have just updated ImportSessionData to prevent this error)
Old 02-06-2023, 05:36 PM   #174
Triode

For anyone importing tracks that have sends at the same time as tracks with corresponding receives, the method is to select "Import Sends" in the destination selector (as well as their destination) for both the tracks with sends and the tracks with receives.

MPL, I'd suggest for clarity to make the UI specify "Import Sends and Receives" (without changing any functionality).

I initially tried selecting import sends for just the tracks with the sends (not the tracks with their receives). This seemed to cause the import of any FX chains to fail as well as not importing the sends.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:39 PM   #175
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
For anyone importing tracks that have sends at the same time as tracks with corresponding receives, the method is to select "Import Sends" in the destination selector (as well as their destination) for both the tracks with sends and the tracks with receives.

MPL, I'd suggest for clarity to make the UI specify "Import Sends and Receives" (without changing any functionality).

I initially tried selecting import sends for just the tracks with the sends (not the tracks with their receives). This seemed to cause the import of any FX chains to fail as well as not importing the sends.
Technically RPP has only information about receives.
Depending on needs, you can:
1) import tracks as is
2) import with sends, in that case you have to click "handle sends", sends will be imported as new tracks
3) import with sends, in that case you have to click "handle sends", BUT if you have receive channels set enable for import with a "remap" check, send will created for imported tracks.

So how exactly I should modify UI? (sorry, Im not a native english speaker)
Old 03-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #176
Reflected

Dear Michael

Can you make this work on track templates too?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #177
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Dear Michael

Can you make this work on track templates too?
added support RtrackTemplates for 2.11
Old 04-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #178
Reflected

Quote:
added support RtrackTemplates for 2.11
Awesome!
Thank you!!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:23 AM   #179
arjunned

Default Something broke.

Hi, MPL.

Looks like the sends don't import correctly in 2.11.

Source:

Destination:
Old 04-19-2023, 07:31 AM   #180
Triode

Quote:
Hi, MPL.

Looks like the sends don't import correctly in 2.11.

Source:

Destination:
If you're importing the sends at the same time as the receive tracks it only seems to work if you have "import sends" selected on the receive tracks too. Did you see my post a few posts above.
I can't get it to work at all unless I do it this way.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #181
arjunned

Quote:
If you're importing the sends at the same time as the receive tracks it only seems to work if you have "import sends" selected on the receive tracks too. Did you see my post a few posts above.
I can't get it to work at all unless I do it this way.
Hmm. I have "import sends" selected on the receive tracks. But it still doesn't seem to import send correctly. v2.10 works correctly.

Also, I noticed that it imports the correct "amount" of sends, but all the sends are to the first track that's been imported.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Last edited by arjunned; 04-19-2023 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added examples
Old 05-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #182
Triode

Quote:
Hmm. I have "import sends" selected on the receive tracks. But it still doesn't seem to import send correctly. v2.10 works correctly.

Also, I noticed that it imports the correct "amount" of sends, but all the sends are to the first track that's been imported.

Example 1:

Example 2:
Definitely something odd with v2.11. I also couldn't get sends to import correctly.
I've rolled back to v2.10 and importing sends works again if I import the receive track at the same time and mark all the tracks (including the receive tracks I'm importing) with "import sends".

I've never managed to import sends when the receive track is already in the session. This script needs a manual!
Old 08-16-2023, 09:35 PM   #183
mpl

Quote:
Definitely something odd with v2.11. I also couldn't get sends to import correctly.
I've rolled back to v2.10 and importing sends works again if I import the receive track at the same time and mark all the tracks (including the receive tracks I'm importing) with "import sends".

I've never managed to import sends when the receive track is already in the session. This script needs a manual!
Sorry for late reply.
Looking at this. There is no difference with importing sends section between 2.10 and 2.11. Importing sends is a huge pain in REAPER, since all the links are ID-based. When you import anything from another project all the tracks are messed up, it is near impossible to handle verything correctly.

I need a more detailed steps to reproduce and source+destination project examples. Everything goes fine if:
- mark source tracks to "new track at the end of tracklist"
- mark "import sends" (which probably means "import send links if the send/receive is imported to this session", sorry for incovenience, I`m not english speaker).

Quote:
when the receive track is already in the session
Ok so I importing, let say, drums, with room aux bus already presented in the project. If you import this room track as well, the links will be be added from drum tracks to this receive track. Otherwise how the script should know where to send these drum tracks if the receive track is already in the project?
Old 08-17-2023, 05:42 AM   #184
Triode

Quote:

I need a more detailed steps to reproduce and source+destination project examples.
Hi MPL

Most of the time when using your import script I'm transferring plugin settings to a project with pre-existing tracks, so this would be the detailed scenario:

- Start your script
- Select the project to import from
- Select the tracks I want to import and do Match for them
- Refine any tracks that missed the right settings from the match algorithm
- Select all the tracks I'm importing by click-selecting and either command or shift-select including any receive tracks
- Select "import sends" for all these tracks
- Click Import

This works in version 2.10 if the track with receives is imported at the same time. It does not work in 2.11

It may be that a receive track is already in the session I am importing to, in which case I would hope that the script would check for receive tracks in the session that have a matching name to the sends on the tracks in the session I am importing from to resolve these.

In your script there is also a "Do not import, only mark for sends remap" - I've never understood how to use this or if it's relevant to the above workflow.

Many thanks
Old 09-20-2023, 02:22 AM   #185
Gass n Klang

Default Parent/Children relations are not imported

All tracks are being imported as parent tracks. Am I missing something?
Old 09-20-2023, 12:36 PM   #186
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
All tracks are being imported as parent tracks. Am I missing something?
If matched by name, yes. If new track at end of track list, there is "obey structure" flag in that menu.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #187
Gass n Klang

perfect i missed that one!
Old 09-24-2023, 10:23 PM   #188
The Bunker

Hi, firstly thanks for the awesome script. Its really helped me speed up some of my process. Was just wondering, do you have any idea why when it imports things like group names from one project to another, it puts those names in quotation marks? Its not a huge deal but seems odd and I was wondering if I was doing something incorrectly or if it is intended behaviour.
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #189
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Hi, firstly thanks for the awesome script. Its really helped me speed up some of my process. Was just wondering, do you have any idea why when it imports things like group names from one project to another, it puts those names in quotation marks? Its not a huge deal but seems odd and I was wondering if I was doing something incorrectly or if it is intended behaviour.
fixed for 2.12
Old 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM   #190
Triode

Hi MPL

Through use I've noticed a couple of things with this script that are not obvious (and may have changed in recent versions) I'm using version 2.11 now:

When you click "Import" the only tracks that will be imported are the ones that are selected on the left. I initially thought there was a bug that was causing the script to only work sometimes. I think you should either change the import button to "Import Tracks Selected Here" or make the track selection not matter and import every track according to the instructions in the middle column.

Here's a picture to illustrate. The only track that will be imported is the "Kick" track (number 4). I think most users will think the track selection is a way to organise your preferences to populate the middle column and not a limiter on which tracks are then imported.

Thanks again for the script which has been useful even though there are these quirks.

Last edited by Triode; 09-26-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #191
Triode

I've also worked out how to use the "Do not import, only mark for sends remap" option.

In the following picture I've selected the two receive tracks with the option "Do not import, only mark for sends remap" but it doesn't populate the middle column immediately. I need to have selected "Match by name" for the remap option to do anything.

Since these two functions are linked I think just selecting remap should be enough to get this result in the middle column (if there are viable matches in the session)

Thank you for reading this
Old 09-27-2023, 01:44 AM   #192
Triode

One final thing:

In the above example when you:

1. Match track by name
2. Select "Do not import, only mark for sends remap"
3. Then try to unselect "Do not import, only mark for sends remap" you can't. Once this option has been selected for some tracks you can't turn it off and you have to restart the script (it sticks even if you try selecting "None" or any other destination option.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2023, 11:04 AM   #193
gfndkimo

Default item offline

Hello~
I am wondering...after I import session data..
the track item will be the offline....
it seems only patch the destine folder ...didn't copy the source file..
so it won't on line...
I must close the project and reopen it..then search file folder ...
is that normal?
o what should I set?
gfndkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:39 AM   #194
mpl

Quote:
One final thing:

In the above example when you:

1. Match track by name
2. Select "Do not import, only mark for sends remap"
3. Then try to unselect "Do not import, only mark for sends remap" you can't. Once this option has been selected for some tracks you can't turn it off and you have to restart the script (it sticks even if you try selecting "None" or any other destination option.

Thanks
Made an internal cleanup - menu, flags inside. It should more consistent now.

Quote:
I think most users will think the track selection is a way to organise your preferences to populate the middle column and not a limiter on which tracks are then imported.
Obeying selection is also disabled by default with ability to turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfndkimo View Post
Hello~
I am wondering...after I import session data..
the track item will be the offline....
it seems only patch the destine folder ...didn't copy the source file..
so it won't on line...
I must close the project and reopen it..then search file folder ...
is that normal?
o what should I set?
Yes, thats the issue that coming from relative path set with source project. Latest version has experimental options to 1) fix relative paths and make them absolute, 2)import media as well
Old 09-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #195
Triode

Thanks for those changes MPL. I'll check them out when I'm back in the studio.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:00 AM   #196
Triode

Hi MPL

2.13 is the best version so far. Thank you

On this version when I select some tracks in the left column only the destination match mode I'm mousing is selected (not the other tracks). Licecap:

Also I've never managed to import any track groups for media/razor edits (even when selecting Group Flags and Track Group Names).
Old 10-03-2023, 04:19 AM   #197
The Bunker

Quote:
fixed for 2.12
Great thank you.
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #198
mpl

Quote:
On this version when I select some tracks in the left column only the destination match mode I'm mousing is selected (not the other tracks).
should works fine for 2.14
Quote:
Also I've never managed to import any track groups for media/razor edits (even when selecting Group Flags and Track Group Names).
I never used razor edits so I don`t understand how track group is related to it. Any RPP example + gif?
Old 10-07-2023, 04:28 AM   #199
Triode

Quote:
should works fine for 2.14

I never used razor edits so I don`t understand how track group is related to it. Any RPP example + gif?
Thanks!

The track edit groups have been in reaper for a while. It's this kind of grouping (with the checkmarks at the top):

Edit groups don't get imported with your script.

Cheers
Old 10-14-2023, 07:44 AM   #200
mpl

Quote:
Thanks!

The track edit groups have been in reaper for a while. It's this kind of grouping (with the checkmarks at the top):

Edit groups don't get imported with your script.

Cheers
Ah I see, these 2 top checks are v6.73+ API additions and weren`t in the docs when I built that part. Added to 2.15.