Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default "Unhiding" An Iso File That Is already Mounted?

A fairly esoteric question here. I am having trouble downloading the Percussion library of CineSamples Orchestra Core. I have the other three libraries up and running fine. But this one is 92 GB, and my internet is slow, just basic DSL service. On a good day I may get 10 Mbps (sp?). So, the download keeps failing. however, it did result in a 92 GB iso file in my downloads folder.

I have successfully mounted and unhidden these things before, and installed them to Kontakt. The Factory Library, for example. but this tine, I can't get the commands right, keep getting error messages. So I noticed that on my LXLE Linux drive, it has a disk mounter. I was able to mount the iso with this, and even get the installer rolling. However, it hangs because it needs the "cd", and I assume that is hidden. The commands get it mounted and unhidden, bur the disk mounter just gets it mounted.

So, does anyone know if you can run a command to unhide it, while already mounted? Or does the unhiding have to be done with thew mounting command?
Old 09-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
however, it did result in a 92 GB iso file in my downloads folder.
I had a similar issue with kontakt files, but do not remember what I did. I think I even had to create the iso from many splitted files.
But I don't understand what you try to do with mounting them. Can't you just start kontakt and point to the iso file? Because I think that was it what I had to do, once I managed to create that iso.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I had a similar issue with kontakt files, but do not remember what I did. I think I even had to create the iso from many splitted files.
But I don't understand what you try to do with mounting them. Can't you just start kontakt and point to the iso file? Because I think that was it what I had to do, once I managed to create that iso.
Some files need to be mounted an un-hidden. I had to do this with the kontakt Factory Library and the Sam Free Orchestra. Check this thread out for the details:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=264442

I'll look into your suggestion though, maybe it will work.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Or does the unhiding have to be done with thew mounting command?
Pretty sure the mount command is needed, with syntax like this.

sudo mount -t udf Kontakt_Factory_Library.iso -o unhide /mnt
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
fabio77

Quote:
Some files need to be mounted an un-hidden. I had to do this with the kontakt Factory Library and the Sam Free Orchestra. Check this thread out for the details:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=264442

I'll look into your suggestion though, maybe it will work.
Oh, ok. I do not know anything about it. But your solution in post #15 from the other thread does somehow sound similar to what I meant. If you can add the serial number or activating code to kontakt, it should give you the option to either download the files or point at it on your harddrive I think.

But one way or another, I hope you will succeed with it.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Pretty sure the mount command is needed, with syntax like this.

sudo mount -t udf Kontakt_Factory_Library.iso -o unhide /mnt
Yes, I think you're probably right, although maybe there is still a way to do it. I have tried many commands, consuming hours, but I think it's hopeless task. I need to do the full download.

I just removed Ubuntu 22 from my C drive and extended the space, so it's back to nearly 1 TB. that should allow me to download it. I kept getting errors that there was not enough space on the C drive for such a large download. I learned from the NI forum that this is because Windows does weird things when downloading. Well, no surprise there...that's why we use Linux.

Someday I won't need any windows/Wine stuff. There will be Native Linux options. Or I'll be dead...

fortunately, I have enough percussion in Garritan and the KFL. For now, I'm going to put it on hold. Wasted too much time. Maybe later I'll try again.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
Oh, ok. I do not know anything about it. But your solution in post #15 from the other thread does somehow sound similar to what I meant. If you can add the serial number or activating code to kontakt, it should give you the option to either download the files or point at it on your harddrive
Now that I have reclaimed all the space on my C drive, I can probably get the full download. Still, with my internet it will take 2-3 days, so I'm in no hurry to tie our bandwidth up again, so soon after my recent unsuccessful attempts. Maybe later. Right now I need to get back to justifying my existence by working on my music!
Old 09-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #8
fabio77

Quote:
Now that I have reclaimed all the space on my C drive, I can probably get the full download. Still, with my internet it will take 2-3 days, so I'm in no hurry to tie our bandwidth up again, so soon after my recent unsuccessful attempts. Maybe later. Right now I need to get back to justifying my existence by working on my music!
Ok, I hoped it will work with the file you just downloaded.

Would you like to share some of your "justifying" work with us
Old 09-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #9
audiojunkie

Quote:
Yes, I think you're probably right, although maybe there is still a way to do it. I have tried many commands, consuming hours, but I think it's hopeless task. I need to do the full download.

I just removed Ubuntu 22 from my C drive and extended the space, so it's back to nearly 1 TB. that should allow me to download it. I kept getting errors that there was not enough space on the C drive for such a large download. I learned from the NI forum that this is because Windows does weird things when downloading. Well, no surprise there...that's why we use Linux.

Someday I won't need any windows/Wine stuff. There will be Native Linux options. Or I'll be dead...

fortunately, I have enough percussion in Garritan and the KFL. For now, I'm going to put it on hold. Wasted too much time. Maybe later I'll try again.
It's NOT a hopeless task. Back in the days of modems (much slower than DSL), we used download managers that would be able to resume a download if the connection dropped. I'd been willing to be these download managers still exist, and will let you download the whole thing without errors or stress.

Edit--Here's a link to several to choose from:

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admi...load-managers/

Edit2: It looks like download managers are alive and well! I haven't needed them for a while since I have decent bandwidth, but they are really handy with slower or unstable internet speeds.

Your current 92GB ISO is probably corrupted. You may have to download it again. With a download manager, you just start the download and come back and check on it later. It does all of the work for you.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 09-27-2022 at 02:30 PM.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:

It's always more fun to work on music than to work on your computer! That was the attitude I had when Yabridge quit working for me one day, after it and WINE both got updated. I ended up switching back to LinVST so I could get back to working on music.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
michael diemer

[QUOTE=fabio77;2599969

Would you like to share some of your "justifying" work with us [/QUOTE]

Maybe someday...but I really just compose for myself. If I like it, it makes me happy. thus justifying my existence. It's like therapy.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #12
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
It's NOT a hopeless task. Back in the days of modems (much slower than DSL), we used download managers that would be able to resume a download if the connection dropped. I'd been willing to be these download managers still exist, and will let you download the whole thing without errors or stress.

Edit--Here's a link to several to choose from:

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admi...load-managers/

Edit2: It looks like download managers are alive and well! I haven't needed them for a while since I have decent bandwidth, but they are really handy with slower or unstable internet speeds.

Your current 92GB ISO is probably corrupted. You may have to download it again. With a download manager, you just start the download and come back and check on it later. It does all of the work for you.
I'm not sure that would work in this case. The download is managed by Native Access, it's kind of self-contained, I don't think you can do anything to speed it up. It does save the progress if your internet stops, which happened the first time I tried downloading it. but then it gave me an error when the download hit about 33%, saying there was not enough room on C. I needed to make 180 GB (!) of space for it to proceed. Windows...

The problem is this: If you download it on Windows, you need a 1 TB drive, because of the bogus way windows does downloads. If you do it on Linux, you're still doing it on windows, because you have to use Wine to install and use Native Access. Even if you succeed in downloading it on Linux, you're still faced with the problem of mounting and un-hiding the iso.

I did get my C drive (Windows that is) back to 1 TB today. I had Ubuntu on there in a dual-boot, before I finally settled on mint. So, if I feel bold at some point, I may try again. The problem there, however, is that I can not use Mint to work on my music. for three days or so, while the damn download hopefully proceeds.

It may not be hopeless, but it's pretty close to pointless. Maybe I'[ll sell the damn thing. I'm not sure CineSamples allows that, in fact I'm pretty sure they don't.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #13
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It's always more fun to work on music than to work on your computer! That was the attitude I had when Yabridge quit working for me one day, after it and WINE both got updated. I ended up switching back to LinVST so I could get back to working on music.

Linvst continues to work fine for me also. and I have been updating wine staging on my Mint drive, and so far no problems. Hopefully that will continue.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Linvst continues to work fine for me also. and I have been updating wine staging on my Mint drive, and so far no problems. Hopefully that will continue.
I update every time Manjaro offers it, and frequently there will be a new WINE version included. Since switching back to LinVST I haven't had any issues. I'm sure I could eventually sort it out with Yabridge, but I'd rather be playing music than working on my music computer.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:32 PM   #15
fabio77

Quote:
Maybe someday...but I really just compose for myself. If I like it, it makes me happy. thus justifying my existence. It's like therapy.
Ok. Sounds good