Old 09-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
blumpy
Human being with feelings

Default AMD 3d-V cache

I’m considering building a new workstation and might use the new AMD Ryzen 9 series. That said, the last gen Ryzens had a 3d-V cache option on later iterations. Would this help with audio processing? Should I wait for variant on the newer Ryzen processors or does 3d v-cache not help with audio processing?
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:33 PM   #2
MiddleC

Personally I wouldn't delay a purchase for whatever is next-gen. You can play that game forever.

I never buy the current generation anyway - for me, the sweet dollar-to-performance spot is one year behind.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
blumpy

Default Hmmm

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know if the additional v-cache (AMD’s 3d v-Cache) in last gen Ryzen enhanced performance in reaper/audio processing vs the non-vCache CPUs?
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:36 PM   #4
MiddleC

Nope.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
PMan

I'm sure the devs could give a more definitive answer, but I would assume that if more DSP code from both plugins and the mix engine can reside in that extra large cache, that would deliver a huge performance gain.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a dev.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #6
MiddleC

I should not be so dismissive of the question. It's a good question.

But... blumpy, you're looking for somebody who has looked into this question, obtained an appropriate CPU and another one of a similar generation that doesn't have the technology, has run side by side benchmarks, analyzed the results, accounted for other architectural differences, and has made conclusions about whether or not the 3D v-cache matters for audio.

I don't think that person exists. Even the devs would probably have to just guess.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:28 AM   #7
0xRAIN

I'd go with higher core clock speed in this specific application. Certain workloads will benefit from the increased cache, but I think you will be bottlenecked by the difference in CPU cocks primarily.
0xRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:15 AM   #8
MiddleC

Okay, so a small search coughed up this particular analysis.

https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/3...che-explained/

AMD has been leaning on the "fastest gaming system processor" as the major selling point for this tech... and that appears to be true.

However, the graph is... underwhelming. It jumps into the lead, but not by a significant amount. It's only a very small advantage in the flagship use case. It's a good jump within the AMD lineup, but only incremental against its direct competitors.

I would agree with OxRAIN - individual core clock speed is still king of the hill.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
PMan

*Disclaimer: I plan on building an AMD based machine*

If you look closely at the numbers in that chart, a Ryzen with DDR4 3200 is about the same as an i9 with DDR5 6400. So the i9 memory is literally 2x faster, while delivering roughly the same performance.

So yeah, the gains are not huge, but the Ryzens coming out at the end of the month (like, 2 weeks from now) will have DDR5. At that point, the charts will look very different.

That being said, I agree with MiddleC, the currently-fastest tech is also the currently-most-expensive. I plan to use Zen3 Epyc (from last year, DDR4), because I want lots of PCIe slots. Last year's tech was the coolest thing in the world last year. It is no less potent simply because something else is faster.

Research your options and make the choice that works for you!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote