Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #1
niallc
Human being with feelings

Default Can only add 5 samples to ReaSamplomatic 5000?

Hi there,

I'm new to this and I've searched the archives for a solution and haven't seen this problem mentioned.

I'm following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFcRF-D9Sk

When I add the sixth sample, and then change the note, I can no longer hear the sample correctly. It plays like a click/chime with a sound like "chink".

The other samples are unaffected and if I remove and add the sample back in it makes no difference.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm using the latest version of Reaper on Mac Os Monterey with 24 GB of RAM. I'd really like to complete Kenny's tutorial so I can expand my knowledge but this is a stumbling block.

TIA for any insight.
niallc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Dunno why that would be, but using multiple instances should get around it fine.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
niallc

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Dunno why that would be, but using multiple instances should get around it fine.
Hi - thanks for the response. So you mean load up 3/4 with one instance and then start another instance and load more? I'll try that.

Thank you!!!
Old 09-17-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
niallc

Ok - so I tried that and it does not work. I re-added ReaSamplomatic 5000 and loaded the sample and it loads fine (i.e hitting the black square produces the correct sound) until I change the note value, and then I get the "chink" sound whenever I click the black square.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
niallc

And just to be clear, this is what I'm looking at:

(apparently I am unable to add images)

here is (hopefully) a link:

Last edited by niallc; 09-17-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 09-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
foxAsteria

sorry i don't use that sampler much, but the only way i can get something like you describe is by choosing one of the other modes than "sample."

If you're trying to do drums like in the video, that's the one you want or changing the note will change the pitch of the sample (possible resulting in a funky sound).
Old 09-17-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
niallc

Quote:
sorry i don't use that sampler much, but the only way i can get something like you describe is by choosing one of the other modes than "sample."

If you're trying to do drums like in the video, that's the one you want or changing the note will change the pitch of the sample (possible resulting in a funky sound).
Hey thanks for the response. I'm following Kenny's video exactly so I don't know what's happening.

I just tried the same thing on a Windows computer with no issues, so I guess I'm stuck with Windows for the moment.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #8
foxAsteria

So it's a Mac issue then. Someone might know on the OSX subforum...All the same, RSO5k is not that special. Grace and Sitala are free and far easier to use. You probably won't even need a tutorial.

You could also try Manjaro Linux. Reaper works great there too, though the free plugin situation is more sparse. You can even run it and Reaper too from a USB stick on any USB bootable computer.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-17-2022 at 08:15 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #9
fmL

Quote:
All the same, RSO5k is not that special. Grace...
i share your opinion on this. rs5k quite frankly sucks compared to pretty much every other software sampler (integrated or plugin). it would be nice if Cockos integrated a sampler from another dev or totally rewrote rs5k.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:32 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
it would be nice if Cockos integrated a sampler from another dev or totally rewrote rs5k.
Yea, not gonna happen. Reaper plugs are built purely for function AFAICT...nary a consideration toward user-friendliness, despite the daily criticism. Good thing for all the freebies out there with actual artists doing the UI design.

Then again, some folks really seem to benefit from that minimalist "coder-friedly" UI design. It certainly makes me want to close my eyes...
Old 09-18-2022, 06:26 AM   #11
niallc

Quote:
Yea, not gonna happen. Reaper plugs are built purely for function AFAICT...nary a consideration toward user-friendliness, despite the daily criticism. Good thing for all the freebies out there with actual artists doing the UI design.

Then again, some folks really seem to benefit from that minimalist "coder-friedly" UI design. It certainly makes me want to close my eyes...
Thanks for the feedback. I had the same issues on my Windows machine. I couldn't load a 7th sample. So my next question was going to be "What else could I use?". I have Sitala and I will play with that - it does seem quite intuitive to use - thank you for the pointer!

Have a great weekend y'all.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #12
JonLinnarson

Try downloading one of Vincent Sermonne's drumkits and demo projects to see how he has managed to more or less create a EZDrummer/Superior Drummer alternative using only RS5K He has 3 or 4 different drumkits that all sound great! They are also set up and ready to be used with an electronic drumkit.

http://tchackpoum.fr/
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
Daodan

Maybe bug? What if you just copy instances and change note without changing sample? I just tested copy pasting 10 instances and all plays fine.
Maybe you have "Obey note-offs" enabled and incoming notes too short to play full sample? Or something with probability and round robin? Or length setting shorter than sample?

Can you share minimum project to demonstrate the issue?
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #14
niallc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Maybe bug? What if you just copy instances and change note without changing sample? I just tested copy pasting 10 instances and all plays fine.
Maybe you have "Obey note-offs" enabled and incoming notes too short to play full sample? Or something with probability and round robin? Or length setting shorter than sample?

Can you share minimum project to demonstrate the issue?
If you can tell me how to share a project I'd be happy to.

I'm having the same issues with Sitala, so it's definitely something I'm doing incorrectly.

N
Old 10-09-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallc View Post
If you can tell me how to share a project I'd be happy to.
N
Remove all unrelated stuff from project, Go to File>Save new versions of project, check "Create subdirectory..." and "Copy all media..." (to copy samples used in rs5k). Then zip this folder, upload somewhere and share the link.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #16
niallc

So, I figured out the problem. The Kick, for example in Sitala states the note to trigger is C2. In actuality the note that triggers it is C1 in Sequencer Megababy.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
So, I figured out the problem. The Kick, for example in Sitala states the note to trigger is C2. In actuality the note that triggers it is C1 in Sequencer Megababy.
Of course...surprised nobody thought of that. You can change the octave offset in Prefs/Media/MIDI. You'd think with something as old as the MIDI standard, things would be more standardized, but I guess everyone doesn't agree on which is Middle C, just like CC messages sometimes go from 0-127 instead of 1-128.

Would be good to add (SOLVED) to your thread title, since this will probably stump someone else eventually.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #18
akademie

^^^^^^^^ BTW, settings in Prefs/Media/MIDI do not affect the octave shift of JS Sequencer Megababy,
which has its own variable in the code itself that you can change as you like/need:

Code:
@init

octave_offset=-1; // Set this value as you prefer.
// It works the same way as "MIDI octave name display offset" in Reaper's preferences
//  1 : MIDI note 60 = C5
//  0 : MIDI note 60 = C4 
// -1 : MIDI note 60 = C3  ...
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #19
niallc

Quote:
Of course...surprised nobody thought of that. You can change the octave offset in Prefs/Media/MIDI. You'd think with something as old as the MIDI standard, things would be more standardized, but I guess everyone doesn't agree on which is Middle C, just like CC messages sometimes go from 0-127 instead of 1-128.

Would be good to add (SOLVED) to your thread title, since this will probably stump someone else eventually.
You're right - how do I mark it solved?
Old 10-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #20
foxAsteria

Quote:
You're right - how do I mark it solved?
edit your post, click advanced to edit titles.