Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
grayter1
Human being with feelings

Default v5.65pre7 - November 1 2017

v5.65pre7 - November 1 2017
+ Arrange: show tooltip when editing markers/regions
+ FX: in quick-add FX menu, list FX currently on the track before listing plugins available to insert
+ Ruler: add actions to display regions, markers, tempo/time signature markers in lanes (or constrain to a single lane)
+ Ruler: add actions to set height to default/minimum/maximum
+ Tempo envelope: allow points to set time signature and/or metronome pattern without changing tempo
# FX: don't switch folder view when dragging plugins to new categories/developers/folders in Add FX dialog [p=1906086]
# FX: when dragging plugins from one category to another, remove from the original category
# Faderport: passthrough footswitch commands to action bindings as a note-on
# Undo history: show more informative info in diff menus
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
# FX: when dragging plugins from one category to another, remove from the original category
This is something that should be optional via Alt modifier. Sometimes some plugins satisfy more than one category!

Otherwise, this update is HUGE!!!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is something that should be optional via Alt modifier. Sometimes some plugins satisfy more than one category!
You can drag plugins from a non-category list (like "All Plugins", "VST", etc) into multiple categories. If you are dragging from a specific category, the plugin will be removed from that category.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
+ Tempo envelope: allow points to set time signature and/or metronome pattern without changing tempo
THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Finally

It would be smart if timesig changes would ALWAYS go in the lower lane, and tempo changes always in the upper lane. Makes things more neatly organized.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You can drag plugins from a non-category list (like "All Plugins", "VST", etc) into multiple categories. If you are dragging from a specific category, the plugin will be removed from that category.
That's alright, but that means we cannot reassign another category to plugins we've already categorized... so we need to move it to no category first... which is not that intuitive, honestly.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
EvilDragon

Order of parameters shown in tooltips is still different between moving regions/time selection edges and moving item edges... Seems easy to swap that around

Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
EvilDragon

I feel the ruler resize logic could still use some more work.

For example, if we disable multiple lanes for regions and markers, but have it enabled for tempo/timesig lane, we get this behavior when we want to show two lanes for that lane:

Notice how the ruler itself resizes first, BEFORE the tempo lane! This is not cool. And I should say that in this case, the ruler shouldn't even resize this much (at "maximum" size), because it looks kinda ridiculous/bad...

Care to tweak this some more, so that there's not so much wasted vertical space? Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Awesome stuff devs! thanks, will test asap!

+ FX: in quick-add FX menu, list FX currently on the track before listing plugins available to insert
Thanks for this one too!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
That's alright, but that means we cannot reassign another category to plugins we've already categorized... so we need to move it to no category first... which is not that intuitive, honestly.
You can... just... drag it from "all plugins" or "vst" or any non-category list...
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
You can... just... drag it from "all plugins" or "vst" or any non-category list...
Fair enough
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
lachrimae

Looking at ME ruler vs Main:

1) Can text aliasing be improved to match the Main ruler (Win 10 x64)?
2) Could there be separate colors for region/marker/tempo lanes as in Main ruler?
3) I don't usually need to see region/marker/tempo lanes in ME. It would be nice if the lanes would collapse when "Show _____" is unticked (in order to increase ME vertical space).
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Also, we don't even get the lanes in MIDI editor for regions/markers/tempo...
Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
Azzar

Awesome stuff in here!

What's the chance of configurable region / marker heights and font sizes?
On Hi-DPI displays regions can get really fidgety in size.
Azzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
Javier Robledo

Hi ¡¡¡

Is there any way for copying / pasting preset between FX ( from one Reaeq to another for instance) ?

(Clipboard mode)

At the moment I`m using Copy Fx and Paste Replacing but has to go to each extended mixer module track for doing this .

Thanks ¡¡¡¡

https://ibb.co/kFuwiG

Pd... I have a gift showing - Manage Attachments fails to me - What method do yo use for inserting images or gifst ?

Last edited by Javier Robledo; 11-01-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
1) Can text aliasing be improved to match the Main ruler (Win 10 x64)?
2) Could there be separate colors for region/marker/tempo lanes as in Main ruler?
I completely 100% agree with you. However, these are not related to this pre; they've been with us for many years. I understand the temptation to FR in a Pre thread, but ultimately it reduces the SnR of the thread and is disrespectful to those users who make their FRs in the appropriate forum.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
lachrimae

Issue resolved

Last edited by lachrimae; 11-01-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: All good
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #17
cfillion

Quote:
Notice how the ruler itself resizes first, BEFORE the tempo lane!
Indeed, and also the marker lane doesn't grow as much as the region lane when the other is disabled, also leading to a huge timeline ruler. (Markers are apparently limited to 5 lanes while the regions can grow up to 11 lanes)

Last edited by cfillion; 11-01-2017 at 12:47 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
juliansader

Quote:
+ Ruler: add actions to display regions, markers, tempo/time signature markers in lanes (or constrain to a single lane)
Since the devs are working on Ruler lanes and Tempo/Timesig features, I hope I am not stepping out of line by mentioning these bugs/FRs:

Allow time signatures with partial measures when timebase=time

If the Timebase for tempo/time signature envelope is set to Time in Project Settings, the time signature dialog box greys out the option to "Allow a partial measure before this marker", and adds the message "(option disabled because project tempo envelope timebase is set to time)".

To insert such timesig markers, the user has to switch the timebase to Beats, insert the marker, and switch the timebase back to Time.

In timesig dialog box, reset time position when allowing partial measure

In the Tempo/Time Signature Marker dialog box, when the user clicks on "Start new measure, time signature", the Position time automatically jumps to the nearest measure start.

However, when the user then checks "Allow a partial measure before this marker", the Position does not reset to its original value. (I expect that the original time position is typically the correct position at which the user intends to insert the marker with partial measure.) The user therefore has to copy/paste or remember the original value.

Hide tempo changes that are not time signature changes (or show them in a separate lane)

I think it would be useful to add options or actions to hide all tempo change markers that are not time signature changes. In other words, if the "time signature lane" (in the track panel and/or MIDI editor) can be configured to show only those "time signature / tempo change" markers that are actually time signature changes and not merely tempo changes.

When a MIDI file has lots and lots of tempo changes, it becomes difficult to find the handful of time signature changes among all the indistinguishable markers.

Tempo changes will still be visible and editable in the Master track's tempo envelope.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
Klangfarben

Quote:
I seriously love you guys.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Hide tempo changes that are not time signature changes (or show them in a separate lane)

I think it would be useful to add options or actions to hide all tempo change markers that are not time signature changes. In other words, if the "time signature lane" (in the track panel and/or MIDI editor) can be configured to show only those "time signature / tempo change" markers that are actually time signature changes and not merely tempo changes.

When a MIDI file has lots and lots of tempo changes, it becomes difficult to find the handful of time signature changes among all the indistinguishable markers.

Tempo changes will still be visible and editable in the Master track's tempo envelope.
This would be sorted out by my suggestions to ALWAYS put just the timesig changes in the second lane, if it's extended. No need for special show/hide actions then, yes?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #21
Dimson

Add please the ability to customize the "Monitoring FX" and "Item FX" menu. I liked the old look of the menu more. The changes occurred in version 5.60

Last edited by Dimson; 11-01-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #22
swiiscompos

Quote:
This would be sorted out by my suggestions to ALWAYS put just the timesig changes in the second lane, if it's extended. No need for special show/hide actions then, yes?
That sounds like a very good solution to me.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
Stroudy

Quote:
It is a small detail, but from a workflow perspective, I'd lose focus having to switch to a different list, one that is potentially filled with hundreds of entries.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #24
ovnis

Bug ? How I do to put region A under region 38 ?

It would not be more intuitive, visual and faster if we can move regions across region lines exactly like we can move items across arrangement window ?

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
musicbynumbers

Ovnis. I think there's a mouse modifier like Alt that allows you to move a region without it affecting the contents below in the arrange page.

If not alt, then one of the others I think/hope
Old 11-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
musicbynumbers

Speaking of moving plugins around..

The one place I would love this is the TCP FX button when you right click it.

Even if it wasn't drag and drop and it was only right click the FX to get the options "move up" and "move down" that would be enough for me

No worries if not, but on a small single screen laptop it's one of the only reasons to open up the fx chain window or the mixer.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #27
ovnis

In my exemple, I want to move the contents bellow the region.
If we can't move regions like items, it should be cool to have a key modifier to move region under other.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #28
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
It should be the case in pre7 that if you are showing 2 lanes for tempo/time signature changes, and the project has at least 2 of each, the time signature change markers will be shown in their own lane.

Oh, and we'll definitely fix the scaling issue when not showing multiple lanes for regions or markers.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #29
EvilDragon

Quote:
It should be the case in pre7 that if you are showing 2 lanes for tempo/time signature changes, and the project has at least 2 of each, the time signature change markers will be shown in their own lane.
At least 2 of each... should be at least 1 of each (this is why I didn't see it even happen, I only tested with 1 tempo and 1 timesig change, and they sticked to one lane, I didn't like it) As long as 2 lanes are displayed, timesigs should go straight to the second one, no matter how few of them are there. Just makes sense, yeah?

EDIT:

Tempo should probably always be the top lane, timesigs always the bottom one. Also it'd be great if the first ever change in the project were two separate events, perhaps? Meaning, whenever you define both tempo AND a timesig change in the same marker, they are immediately split into two lanes, automagically? Just seems to make sense with these 2 lanes, now that we have them.

It'd also be great if we had an action to enter a time sig change, that would automatically uncheck the "tempo" checkbox in the dialog, and check "time signature" checkbox in the dialog. Speed things up!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #30
EvilDragon

Also with these recent changes, I'm thinking we should be able to separately resize the three lanes, instead of all three of them at the same time by pulling the ruler down. Right now, I kinda wish to be able to resize tempo lane BEFORE region and marker lanes... but no, region lanes resize first, always, before we even get to the second tempo lane...

And I still think that timeline should definitely resize LAST. When disabling resize on region and marker lanes, to get to second tempo lane, ruler gets really nasty, and vertical space is lost - not good for laptops!!

Old 11-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #31
cfillion

Quote:
I'm thinking we should be able to separately resize the three lanes, instead of all three of them at the same time by pulling the ruler down.
Good idea as long as the height of each lane can still be predicted (or better: accessed) in third-party extensions. Otherwise it would break SWS contextual toolbars and scripts relying on SWS's mouse context API (issue #916). Or perhaps REAPER could have a cleaner equivalent to BR_GetMouseCursorContext.

Currently in SWS we only have access to the total height of the ruler so it's nice to have a predictable behavior "each line is at most 16px, lines are added top to bottom, tempo cannot have more than 2 lines, timeline uses 3 lines or the remaining space".

Last edited by cfillion; 11-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #32
EvilDragon

Yes, agreed on everything you say. Please give us individual resizeability and update API so that each ruler lane can be queried if a mouse is over it
Old 11-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #33
musicbynumbers

I too wouldn't mind having them all resizable BUT...

I think it might be a good idea to place the adjustable area for them all on the far left or right of them (and make it slight visible).

The reason being is it's already a bit trickier to use the timeline up there for seeking as you can often click and get the expansion arrow instead.

That's why moving them all to the side might be a good idea?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #34
esosotericmetal

Loving the extra tooltips but they're pretty small and hard to read especially for things like time/bars/measures. Any chance they can be made themeable?

Personally, I don't find having multiple lanes useful for markers. I think it would be fine if they stayed as a single lane.
For tempo/time signature it would def be great to have tempo and time sig on their own separate lanes when expanded.

Last edited by esosotericmetal; 11-01-2017 at 08:59 PM.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #35
juliansader

When zooming in so that a tempo marker and a timesig marker are close together, the timesig marker is not displayed:

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Personally, I don't find having multiple lanes useful for markers. I think it would be fine if they stayed as a single lane.
And you can have that, there's an action to disable showing multiple lanes for all three lanes of the ruler.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #37
Javier Robledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Speaking of moving plugins around..

No worries if not, but on a small single screen laptop it's one of the only reasons to open up the fx chain window or the mixer.
That´s the main reason why I posted my comment about "clipboard for Fx preset/Paste Replacing Fx".

Open Fx Chain in small screens is hard to work because takes most of scree, so extended mixer menú is really really useful.

In case is not possible for any reason to implement this king of (clipboard editing preset) ...

Would it be posible to add in preference/plugins and option for "Auto Float Fx when Replacing" ?
( as we have with quick add and new fx )

With this option at least we could copy and replace the Fx and automatic float the new one for starting working with it ( all this like a fast way for copy/paste fx preset without coding work)

Licecap from laptop 13'' Screen

(original post https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=14 )

Also Speaking about this ( as music menber said XDXDXD ) I posted in This in colorthemes thread, but repost it here because has also something to be with Fx and Extended Mixer ¡¡¡

--

Is there any way to making evidence which Fx is Selected in Extended Mixer vía Theme ?

As we do with off line and bypassed Fx.

https://ibb.co/fHEkcb

--

Thanks for all news ¡¡¡¡¡
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:06 AM   #38
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I think it might be a good idea to place the adjustable area for them all on the far left or right of them (and make it slight visible).

The reason being is it's already a bit trickier to use the timeline up there for seeking as you can often click and get the expansion arrow instead.
I was thinking that maybe the resize area should just be between the TCP and the toolbar, like it used to be.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #39
EvilDragon

That's less apparent for the user, though...

Why not each lane separately resizeable? That is by far the best and most flexible solution...
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 AM   #40
G-Sun

Quote:
Yohoo
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote