Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #41
Dex
Human being with feelings

I discovered Chris's work maybe 6 months ago and became one of his patreon supporters. I haven't delved into all of the plugins he's released so far but I'm getting a lot of mileage out of

Console4
ToTape
TapeDust
IronOxide

Console and ToTape are subtle, but if you set up a whole mix using them and set up a hotkey to toggle them all with one keystroke you'll likely hear a large difference. I know I did. Yes it's a pain to use Console in Reaper but imo it's totally worth it.
Dex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #42
RCJacH

Thanks to Chris I'm running 400+ plugins on a daily basis.

Just want to mention that ElectroHat is great at getting rid of machine-gun effect on sampled electronic drums, be it kicks, snares, HHs, or cymbals. Haven't got time to test it on acoustic samples yet, but I believe it should work as well with low dry/wet percentage.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #43
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
Thanks to Chris I'm running 400+ plugins on a daily basis.

Just want to mention that ElectroHat is great at getting rid of machine-gun effect on sampled electronic drums, be it kicks, snares, HHs, or cymbals. Haven't got time to test it on acoustic samples yet, but I believe it should work as well with low dry/wet percentage.

Really? Would you mind sharing how you are using it?

I've always found that ElectroHat was the craziest plug-in he's come up with and hence the useless.

Not to talk bad things about Chris, he is a GENIUS and his plug-ins rock but as a GENIUS he also puts out stuff that's crazy and not very handy in the studio. I've always felt that Desk, PowerSag, GuitarConditioner as well as ElectroHat are kinda doing nothing worthy at all or doing nothing any other plug-in can achieve.

This is all of course in my most humble opinion and it may be me the one not knowing how to use those properly =)

Last edited by morfi; 04-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #44
Dex

I would guess they're just layering it with the samples.
Dex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #45
RCJacH

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Really? Would you mind sharing how you are using it?

I've always found that ElectroHat was the craziest plug-in he's come up with and hence the useless.

Not to talk bad things about Chris, he is a GENIUS and his plug-ins rock but as a GENIUS he also puts out stuff that's crazy and not very handy in the studio. I've always felt that Desk, PowerSag, GuitarConditioner as well as ElectroHat are kinda doing nothing worthy at all or doing nothing any other plug-in can achieve.
For ElectroHat, it's basically a plugin that adds sizzles, much like any dynamic noise generator, like the one I made here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186812

The difference between ElectroHat and white/pink/brown noise is that ElectroHat has a very distinctive noise profile, edgier than common white noise, and I find it somewhat similar to the noise type of physical impact on some sort of membrane (in recorded samples). Thus I think this plugin is not as fitting for generating a HH sound, but maybe more for adding the impact component to an existing sound.

With this mindset, I use ElectroHat to layer with existing sample(s) as a specific type of distortion. Currently I only use Electro Mode, and haven't figured out applications for other modes. From my understanding of the source code it seems that 606/808/909 Mode has fixed trim, and that's the only difference. I would adjust **Bright** first, so the generated sound would first match the application. For example, if I want to distort a snare, I would pull **Bright** to 0, in comparison of around 0.8 or something for HH and Crash. Then adjust **Trim** very carefully as it is an unpredictable parameter, but it may land on a very nice tone when you get to a specific value, and losing it by just changing 0.001 or something. Then use **Dry/Wet** to blend, normally around 0.4 or less, and use **Output** to fine tune the volume.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all sound sources may have the fitting length or dynamic for triggering noise - the Roland 808 snare is a short gliding sine with a longer noise oscillator - thus we may need to alter the input signal before it triggers ElectroHat. We can use gate/compressor to reduce length and dynamic, but if we want to increase the triggering length, we need something else. The RCNoiseBuzz JSFX that I linked above is one method to increase triggering length, basically using ElectroHat to color noise so it doesn't...sound like normal noise...The other method to lengthen a sample is to use reverb, and I find the new NonLinearSpace very fitting for the job since the artifact from it is replaced by ElectroHat. The settings for NonLinearSpace in the context usually involves setting **Liveness** to 0, reducing **Bass** and **Dry/Wet** to near 0, then adjust **Treble** to taste.

The **Desk** series, which I rarely use, apparently does its job only when signal surpasses 0dBFS, and since I use Console system, this series only works with bitshiftgain applied before and after desk...such a hazzle that I rarely bother with.
**PowerSag** may work well for designing amp systems, but...most studio rarely have such need. May work well with software synths to add a taste of analog circuit.
**GuitarConditioner** I use it after gate for each track of non-ultra-clean Electric Guitar that I have to record.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #46
morfi

@RCJacH thank you so much for your very detailed and in-depth answer. I appreciate it a lot and you certainly seem to know your way round Airwindows plug-ins.

I guess I'll have to take a second look at Electro Hat. It still seems like a crazy tool that I may never ever need at all, and I try to avoid such plug-ins (Airwindows is known to have more than 250 plug-ins - who can live with that in their minds?)

Thank you also for your comments on other plug-ins I mentioned. I still think that what GuitarConditioner does for the sound, you can accomplish with a just an EQ...

EDIT = after re-reading your answer, a new application for ElectroHat came to mind. REAPER's ReaGate has this wonderful noise-generator that you can use by blending in a white noise profile for instance, when gating a snare drum, in order to artificially add some sort of snare bottom/snare wires sound when the gate opens up. I bet you're using ElectroHat for some sort of use like this...?

Last edited by morfi; 04-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #47
RCJacH

Yeah, I'm sure even Chris himself have to think for a bit when looking for a plugin during his videos.

I took some notes on each of his plugins since he made them free, and I plan to post them once I get time to sort them out into more understandable format, currently I still get lost looking at my notes.

regarding guitarconditioner, I thought it was a saturation plugin lol. I personally tend to avoid EQ as much as possible cause it involves a lot of processing (just compare the code of his own EQ with other ones, it's like 100:1 in terms of code length), and might cause artifact or pre/post rings and may cause damage to transients, but that's still a concept which I do not fully understand yet...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #48
morfi

Yes, everybody keeps their own notes on the Airwindows catalog. I do it myself too but they tend to overlap so very often. You can only have so many HPFs to choose from!

GuitarConditioner is not a saturation plug-in is... God know what it is. It's supposed to sound like an Ibanez if I recall correctly.

Regarding code length, well... Chris is the master. His plug-ins consume nothing, take no CPU and introduce no sample-latency and are as little as a file can be - not to mention that they don't install themselves, you just copy the DLLs files (as with many other devs - but not all of them). This philosophy certainly goes hand in hand with REAPERs and I think that both really complement each other well into a super-powerful DAW.

Not that I do it, but I could really mix a full album and get it to sound great with REAPER and Airwindows alone...
Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #49
deeb

i love the person and the love how he shows when presents them : ) but never had used them! i guess i should, and i will as soon as possible!
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote