Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #81
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoltman View Post
I'm not sure. First, all existing control surfaces are currently selected from the same place (combo box in Control Surfaces), and it's probably hard to have additional control surfaces in separate DLLs. Second, the parts of my code might be reused for other purposes - basically, more of example code for potential control surface developers.

Anyway, I don't have any strong opinion either way, unless it makes my code much more complex than it is now.
Same here, additional DLLs still allow all of them to show in the combo-box. I think the only thing that needs to be done is actually remove some source code i.e. all references to other control surface cpp's and recompile as if the us-428 is the ONLY control surface available, and obviously compile the DLL to a different name ;-)

Im not advocating any specific way, was just pointing out there are other ways. It also might make some people less nervous about not breaking there other control surface functionality.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #82
Edwood

I Know I have the DLL in Reaper Plugin's Not VST, I still won;t show up in control surfaces? Thanks for your hard work, Ed
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #83
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcontrol View Post
> Maybe this + ability to control arbitrary plugins using EQ knobs and Assignable button, would provide enough support to be able to call it a finished version.

Indeed that'd be superb.

One thing to think about though: Controlling EQ imho only makes sense if you also SEE the four EQ bands you're about to tweak. So most likely the ReaEQ "curve window" should pop up as soon as you press one of the low/lomid/himid/high EQ band buttons, and maybe disappear as soon as you press any non-EQ-related button (like transport control, select btn etc) on the 428.
kfoltman, please get in touch with me if I can help you somehow.
I've just implemented the EQ knob support for ReaEQ. Unfortunately, I can't get the "show FX window" (action 40291) functionality to work. It indeed showed the FX window, but for the wrong track.

Implementing it properly would probably require either lots of help from Cockos team (including maybe extra APIs), or some really ugly workaround hacks. Either way, it's more work than I have spare time for.

I've implemented a second function for EQ knobs instead. If neither of EQ bands is selected, they send continuous controller (relative) 16, 17 or 18 to Reaper, and these can be keymapped/used for automation. The ASGN button makes the jog wheel send controller 19 (relative) in the same manner. Hell, maybe I should do the same for all aux/fn-type buttons too?
kfoltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #84
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
I Know I have the DLL in Reaper Plugin's Not VST, I still won;t show up in control surfaces? Thanks for your hard work, Ed
That's rather unusual, the most likely explanation is that Reaper still seems to be using the old DLL. I'll try to write an installer, that should at least rule out most problems due to manual installation.

What exact size (in bytes) is reaper_csurf.dll in your Plugins directory?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #85
kfoltman

New version, v0.8.

http://foltman.com/us428/us428v08.zip

Just copy the Reaper_us428.dll into C:\Program Files\Reaper\Plugins (or wherever your plugin directory is) and start Reaper.

Changes:

* EQ knob support
* some fixes (the F1-F3 buttons didn't seem to work at all)
* support for other surfaces is now removed (they're provided by the "normal" Reaper_csurf.dll instead)
Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #86
bestcontrol

Great! You even managed to implement the EQ band selection!
That's exactly what I "dreamed of", also I like the the EQ window popping up when I press any of the low/lomid/himid/high buttons.

Unfortunately, two things seem to need a bit more attention though:
1. The step size in the lower range of both frequency and gain knobs is much too large
2. Selecting a different track, then tweaking the EQ affects the wrong track (the track that has been selected before?)

Kudos for your work and results that nobody else seems to have managed before!
bestcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #87
kfoltman

Quote:
2. Selecting a different track, then tweaking the EQ affects the wrong track (the track that has been selected before?)
Is it tweaking the wrong track, or just displaying the window of the wrong track? The former would be a bad surprise for me, the latter is pretty much expected now, see above. I think I'll remove that feature until I know how to get it to work properly. In fact, I thought I've already removed that line, but I didn't.

Note: It is supposed to affect the currently selected track (just like pan knob, AUXes etc). It does not the track that has the fx window in the foreground. Which is possibly counter-intuitive, but again, doing it the "right" way is not easy.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #88
bestcontrol

kfoltman, you're right, the only problem (apart from the coarse and non-linear step width) seems to be that the wrong track's FX window is opened upon pressing one of the EQ-band buttons.

Interestingly, it is always the last track that has been selected with the mouse that will determine which track's FX window will open upon pressing an EQ-band button. Hint?

Also interestingly, when I select a different track with the mouse, any EQ-band LED on the US428 will be deactivated, which I find quite useful. Selecting a different track using the US428 however won't do this.

The reason I suppose is that selecting a track with the mouse MUST be s/th different than selecting a track using your US428 adaption, although in both cases the selected track will be highlighted on-screen. Strange.

kfoltman has kindly included his source code -
Could please one of the Cockos coders throw in a little help here, now that after much long waiting, somebody has actually taken his time to finally get US428 support right?

Dear Cockos expert coders, we have some simple questions here:
- Q1: How can the FX chain window of a specific track be opened?
- Q2: How can this window be closed again?
- Q3: How can the first instance of ReaEQ in this window be made visible?
- Q4: How can the step size of a MIDI relative controller's effect be modified, especially if it has a strange non-linear characteristic? (extremely large steps in the lower range, smaller steps in the upper range)

Thank you & regards
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #89
kfoltman

Quote:
- Q4: How can the step size of a MIDI relative controller's effect be modified, especially if it has a strange non-linear characteristic? (extremely large steps in the lower range, smaller steps in the upper range)
This might be because a logarithmic-type value is controlled in a linear fashion.

Does EQ currently work that way, or some other parameters? I certainly treat frequency parameter linearly, because I assumed it's internally mapped to log-scale - but maybe it isn't! It didn't look "suspicious" when I was testing it.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:48 AM   #90
bestcontrol

I have to revise my statement considering the freq control:

In ReaEQ, if "Log()-scale automated frequencies" is disabled, the frequency steps are 20-1220-2420-3620-4820 and so on (1200Hz steps)

If Log()-scale is activated, the steps are: 20-40.9-69.2- ... 228.3-322.1-448.6-619.3 ... 2146.2-2910.1-3941.0 ...

Both are much too coarse, but at least ticking the "Log()" option eliminates the said "non-linearity" (audio-wise).
So decreasing the step size (or better making it knob-turning-speed-dependent) somehow should help.

Otherwise, the "non-linearity" still remains with the EQ's gain control, which is unaffected by the "log freq" checkbox: While in the upper range, you have to turn the knob 4 ticks just to get a 0.1dB change, in the lower range, 1 tick will make the EQ gain jump from e.g. -54.8 to -13.9dB.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #91
kfoltman

Quote:
Both are much too coarse, but at least ticking the "Log()" option eliminates the said "non-linearity" (audio-wise).
So decreasing the step size (or better making it knob-turning-speed-dependent) somehow should help.
Okay, that's something I can do. However, I don't know an easy way to detect if Log() option is checked or not (so that I can do my own log mapping or rely on Reaper's). I already use knob turning speed as reported by US-428, maybe there should be some acceleration type nonlinearity there (turning knob twice as fast would make the value change 4 times as fast). It works for computer mice, for example.

Quote:
Otherwise, the "non-linearity" still remains with the EQ's gain control, which is unaffected by the "log freq" checkbox: While in the upper range, you have to turn the knob 4 ticks just to get a 0.1dB change, in the lower range, 1 tick will make the EQ gain jump from e.g. -54.8 to -13.9dB.
With gain control, I'll have to do my own log mapping - this shouldn't be a problem, except for potential for obscure bugs (like not being able to change the value once it's set to -inf).

Thanks for the analysis, it's very helpful in terms of shortening the development/testing time.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #92
bestcontrol

> I already use knob turning speed as reported by US-428, maybe there should be some acceleration type nonlinearity there (turning knob twice as fast would make the value change 4 times as fast).
I'm quite sure there is no acceleration. No matter how fast or slow I turn the knob, the distance the freq slider moves always corresponds exactly to the turning angle of the knob.

> I don't know an easy way to detect if Log() option is checked
I wouldn't worry too much about checking the Log() state, since when adding a new ReaEQ instance, this box is checked by default

> ...I'll have to do my own log mapping - this shouldn't be a problem, except for potential for obscure bugs (like not being able to change the value once it's set to -inf).
Maybe you just don't set it to -inf but stop one "notch" before?
The -inf setting is covered in the NOTCH EQ type anyway, have you noticed?

> Thanks for the analysis, it's very helpful in terms of shortening the development/testing time.
You're welcome! I try to help as much as I can
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #93
Edwood

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Works Great!!!
There are at times that I use the Froniter Transport device. How do I
pull that up in the Control Surface Menu? Thanks for all your hard work, Ed
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #94
Edwood

Got it all figured out, Thank you again for something all us 428 owners
were waiting for,Ed
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #95
Edwood

Well I thought all was well, Tried it on my home system, Vista 64,won't work and
my Frontier Tranzport has quit as well! Can you help? Thanks, Ed
Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #96
kfoltman

If you're trying to use it with 64-bit version of Reaper - it won't work, sorry!

I don't even have a 64-bit version of the compiler to create a correct version of the DLL, or a 64-bit OS to test it with.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #97
Edwood

Too bad, Thanks for your great work! Ed
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #98
lyngaaskhan

Default Is it possible to get 4 channels in at once?

Tascam touted the unit as being able to record 4 channels at once. So far, I do not see how to enable this in Reaper.

This US-429 dll is the best! I have been waiting for a coupld of years for something like this to happen. I would have done it myself if I had the appropriate coding skills, though I'm tempted to load up the source and see what I can learn.
lyngaaskhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #99
kfoltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyngaaskhan View Post
Tascam touted the unit as being able to record 4 channels at once. So far, I do not see how to enable this in Reaper.
I think it has something to do with selected ASIO driver - the 16-bit version is 4-channel, the 24-bit one is 2-channel, due to limited bandwidth of USB 1.1.

Quote:
This US-429 dll is the best! I have been waiting for a coupld of years for something like this to happen. I would have done it myself if I had the appropriate coding skills, though I'm tempted to load up the source and see what I can learn.
More fixes are on the way, I just need to pick a good moment to get back to it. It needs to be optimized to avoid unnecessary status updates - would come handy when Reaper attempts to delete 32 tracks at once
Old 10-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #100
dedzep

Default merci beaucoup

Bravo for the dot com programer's
dedzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #101
Slackjaw

Default DLL Installation

I'll be dipped in dog doo if I can figure this DLL installation out.

1) Vista 32 SP2
2) Reaper v3.161 (32 bit obviously)
3) 3.4.0 Tascam Drivers
4) Put Reaper_us428.dll in the PlugIn directory
5) In Preferences in the MIDI Devices section I have all devices set to <disabled>
6) I select the US-428 in the Control Surface drop down and I get the "Control Surface: Error opening MIDI input(s) and output(s)

I know the US-428 is working...it all works okey dokey in Cubase LE1.

Damn.
Slackjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #102
Slackjaw

Default More

I should also add that I do get the "fader controls panning" thing when adding the 428 as a HUI. That, at least, confirms that messages are making it into the OS.

It really just seems like the US-428 dll is not "auto finding" the "US-428 Control" midi devices...and I cannot set it manually like in the Reaper native dll control surface selections.

Or I'm just missing the obvious.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #103
Slackjaw

I sure wish I knew what I was doing wrong and/or what am I missing here?

Anyone?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #104
Slackjaw

I'm pretty bummed that I can't get this to work.

I've been trialing both Reaper and Cubase.

I need to start a new project today, and I'm forced to use Cubase where my csurf works for me. Once I head down that road, it's gonna take me away from Reaper. And once underway I'll need to purchase the software license. And once that's done the decision is made.

Yep...pretty bummed. I prefer Reaper but gotta get things moving forward.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #105
kfoltman

Do you have US-428 Control enabled as Input or Output device? (Audio/MIDI Devices) Ok, you don't. But in case you do, disable it in both lists.

What about other applications - they may "hog" the MIDI port not allowing Reaper to connect. That includes Cubase, some standalone (non-VST) softsynth etc. etc.

By the way, I no longer have the US-428, so can't maintain the DLL anymore. However, it's open source so someone else (with enough C++ knowledge) might be able to do it.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #106
Slackjaw

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing I can tell is grabbing the midi control ports. That would seem logical...but unless I am missing something there is nothing else running. I've tried on two different machines...both Vista32.

What the heck else could be grabbing the ports?

How does the dll identify the ports? By name? Could the name be off? As in the difference between my port being called "2-US-428 Control" and it's looking for it without the leading "2"?

I'm reaching...!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #107
Slackjaw

Sure seems a shame that this inexpensive and decently featured control surface/interface doesn't work natively with this inexpensive and decently featured DAW software.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #108
Slackjaw

Well...

Despite how I wanted things to play out, my needs dictated the choice. Just pulled an all-nighter with Cubase 5.1.1 and the US-428. I am pleased with the combination and it's a good inexpensive setup for a man-cave writer/musician like me.

With that said, I think Reaper is awesome and I believe in the way it is developed and marketed. Best wishes to all those involved. I'll be back sooner or later.

Rob
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #109
Bob3Rocks

Default Beautiful!

After a long break from the US-428, I am using it once again for portable recording. And after posting this, I read back through this thread and found the "native" support for the US-428. Awesome! I have tried the .dll file and the native support is working perfectly.
Bob3Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #110
evansmalley

Quote:
New version, v0.8.

http://foltman.com/us428/us428v08.zip

Just copy the Reaper_us428.dll into C:\Program Files\Reaper\Plugins (or wherever your plugin directory is) and start Reaper.

Changes:

* EQ knob support
* some fixes (the F1-F3 buttons didn't seem to work at all)
* support for other surfaces is now removed (they're provided by the "normal" Reaper_csurf.dll instead)
Dear Mr. Foltman-
THANK YOU!!! You totally saved my life! Now Reaper works with the Tascam US-428! Not perfect, but SOME! Now I can overdub with Vari-speed again like when we used TAPE MACHINES! Just did some tracks with an antique pump organ... sounds so freakin sweet!

Thank you-
I am making a donation now! I really really appreciate it-
Ev
evansmalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #111
evansmalley

hmmmm... no way to donate, eh?
evansmalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #112
Bob3Rocks

Default 64 bit...

Back on this thread again! My old laptop crashed and I purchased an Acer with 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed. After much trial and error, and researching unsigned digital driver issues, I was able to get the audio portion of the Tascam working on Windows 7 (the F8 key is your friend in this case).

What is not working now is the is the reaper_us428.dll driver. I am guessing this driver will need to be updated to work on 64 bits. Is there any chance of this happening? I see that kfoltman had to drop this project, are there any other coders out there?

Last edited by Bob3Rocks; 06-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #113
Bob3Rocks

Default Need help: 32 ---> 64

Quote:

By the way, I no longer have the US-428, so can't maintain the DLL anymore. However, it's open source so someone else (with enough C++ knowledge) might be able to do it.

I have zero experience with C++... however, using MS Visual Studio Express 2010, I have re-created kfoltman's project and am trying my hand at this. After days of trying I was able to get a 64 bit compiler working... that wasn't easy. Now I am able to create a working 32 bit driver compiled from source code, but cannot get a 64 bit version to work. It compiles but will not work. The file size is about 1/3 of what is should be.

Pardon my total and utter ignorance here, I am not a programmer. After much trial and error, and Google searching, I have learned that you cannot simply compile a 32 bit project using 64 bits (like, doy) without some re-tooling and I simply don't have the tools at this time.

Are there any coders out there with experience in this who would be willing to offer some major help, or take over the project altogether?

I think it's an endeavor worth saving, the us428 is a great little interface.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #114
hedgie

Default reaper + us 428 + windows 7

I have been using reaper for about 5 months and love it, but I too went to a windows 7 laptop and am having regrets. On my old xp machine, the tascam us 428 worked great as a control surface and interface. Now it just works as an interface, and not a stable one. The reason behind tascam not writing windows 7 drivers for the us 428 is economics, but some people are having success with the 428 by manually installing the old xp driver on a windows 7 machine. i have tried to do this by following the instructions on another forum. i cannot get this to work as far as i can tell, because the only daw i have now is reaper. it simply does not see that reaperus428.dll. My question is this; is there some way to get the tascam us 428 to work with reaper? is anyone out there still using reaper with a 428? i hope this post makes sense, i know it is a little disjointed.
thanks,
chris
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #115
Bob3Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgie View Post
I have been using reaper for about 5 months and love it, but I too went to a windows 7 laptop and am having regrets. On my old xp machine, the tascam us 428 worked great as a control surface and interface. Now it just works as an interface, and not a stable one. The reason behind tascam not writing windows 7 drivers for the us 428 is economics, but some people are having success with the 428 by manually installing the old xp driver on a windows 7 machine. i have tried to do this by following the instructions on another forum. i cannot get this to work as far as i can tell, because the only daw i have now is reaper. it simply does not see that reaperus428.dll. My question is this; is there some way to get the tascam us 428 to work with reaper? is anyone out there still using reaper with a 428? i hope this post makes sense, i know it is a little disjointed.
thanks,
chris

the US-428 running in native mode should work great on Windows 7 32 bit; but not at all on 64 bit. You need to install the correct Tascam driver, I think it's the one called US428_Win_3.40f. And you need to use the file called Reaper_us428.dll, copied into the reaper plugins folder. When booting the computer you need to hit F8 and choose the last boot option to disable strict driver enforcement. And turn off the US-428 before powering off or rebooting the computer, or it will just hang. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #116
hedgie

Default 64 also

Thanks for the reply Bob3rocks, but I also have the 64 bit, so looks like i can't use it as a control surface for now. I also still use the audio portion, and that still sounds good. Oh well, thanks for trying, at least now I know that i didn't install something improperly.
hedgie
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #117
Bob3Rocks

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Bob3rocks, but I also have the 64 bit, so looks like i can't use it as a control surface for now. I also still use the audio portion, and that still sounds good. Oh well, thanks for trying, at least now I know that i didn't install something improperly.
hedgie
How did you get the audio to work? Since Tascam hasn't written 64 bit drivers, I thought it was impossible. And not for lack of trying on my part. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #118
hedgie

Default tascam 428 : interface only right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3Rocks View Post
How did you get the audio to work? Since Tascam hasn't written 64 bit drivers, I thought it was impossible. And not for lack of trying on my part. Thanks.
Well first off, it only works about half the time (when the usb on the 428 is on, it is working). But wait, i thought the audio portion of the 428 was working for you on your 64 machine also.

Didn't you write this back in June?
"My old laptop crashed and I purchased an Acer with 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed. After much trial and error, and researching unsigned digital driver issues, I was able to get the audio portion of the Tascam working on Windows 7 (the F8 key is your friend in this case)."

I have the 3.40 driver, which is not 64, but reaper still recognizes it via asio. Also, as a sidenote, I tried to install the 3.30 driver from tascam which is an old 64x driver for xp maybe? Anyway, it did not work at all because I could not get the 3.34 off of my computer.

I have gotten some minor clicks and pops when recording quiet nylon string guitar, but overall it is working good. Good luck with the dll file, it is hard not being able to use it as a control surface. And thanks for trying to convert it to 64 bit.

thanks,
chris
Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #119
Bob3Rocks

Quote:
Well first off, it only works about half the time (when the usb on the 428 is on, it is working). But wait, i thought the audio portion of the 428 was working for you on your 64 machine also.

Didn't you write this back in June?
"My old laptop crashed and I purchased an Acer with 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed. After much trial and error, and researching unsigned digital driver issues, I was able to get the audio portion of the Tascam working on Windows 7 (the F8 key is your friend in this case)."

I have the 3.40 driver, which is not 64, but reaper still recognizes it via asio. Also, as a sidenote, I tried to install the 3.30 driver from tascam which is an old 64x driver for xp maybe? Anyway, it did not work at all because I could not get the 3.34 off of my computer.

I have gotten some minor clicks and pops when recording quiet nylon string guitar, but overall it is working good. Good luck with the dll file, it is hard not being able to use it as a control surface. And thanks for trying to convert it to 64 bit.

thanks,
chris
Yup I believe you are correct, I forgot about that post. Sorry for the confusion. :-)

I have since given up on using the unit with my laptop but still use it with my 32 bit desktop computer.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #120
fredo66

Default any updates

has anyone done anymore work on using reaper with tascam us-428
have it working ok but would like to be able to asign function keys
fredo66 is offline   Reply With Quote