Old 11-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #161
WaterWaterTasmania
Human being with feelings

Default Are there presets for this script?

I've only just discovered this script and love it as a sort of gain riding solution. I see there's a place to select presets in the GUI, but no presets built in. I assume this means the design is to save your own presets, but are there any I can download? I'm just not super confident with what all the controls are/do.
WaterWaterTasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #162
moloko

Default Little issue

So I'm in love with this compressor but I have a little issue, I don't know if it can be solved but everytime I close the compressor window after tweaking the volume envelope of a media item, the compressor resets after I open it again. It's just frustrating, does anyone know if theres a solution for that? Appreciate it.
moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #163
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloko View Post
So I'm in love with this compressor but I have a little issue, I don't know if it can be solved but everytime I close the compressor window after tweaking the volume envelope of a media item, the compressor resets after I open it again. It's just frustrating, does anyone know if theres a solution for that? Appreciate it.
Yeah, this is a bit annoying. Version 2.12 has presets, and I save the settings as an appropriately named preset.

It's not ideal, and once I looked at saving the settings for each item in project ext state, but I never got around to finish that. One day soon...
Old 01-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #164
hopi

anyone think of a way to get the points from the item to an env. lane?
Old 01-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #165
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
anyone think of a way to get the points from the item to an env. lane?
Copy-paste works for me.

Obviously you know already how copy-paste works, but anyway... I click one of the envelope points in the take volume envelope created by the script, hit Ctrl+A to select all. Then just Ctrl+C (or Ctrl+X). Then click the envelope you want to paste to and hit Ctrl+V.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #166
hopi

thanks Fabian.... I could not get that to work however along the way I noticed this script:
Script: CS_Copy Take Volume to Track Volume Envelope.lua

which seem to do it fine....
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #167
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
thanks Fabian.... I could not get that to work
Strange. It works fine here (W7, Reaper v6.46). The important thing is to really select the take envelope, which is why I click one envelope point and then select the entire envelope with Ctrl+A. And then of course, to also select the target envelope before pasting.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #168
henu

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Another way in which the script can surpass ReaComp, is by offering looooong RMS and Pre-Comp. Since the script does not run in realtime, plugin delay compensation is of no concern. (In the current version, the script's pre-comp only goes up to 100ms, which is less than ReaEQ's 250ms.)

EDIT: Would it work OK if I simply change these lines to larger values, say 1000ms and 2000ms?
Code:
PreComp.DW_New(3, "Slider", "H", 160,40,200,20, r,g,b,a, "Pre-Comp", "ms", 0, 0, 100, 0.1, 0);

RMSsize.DW_New(7, "Slider", "H", 160,160,200,20, r,g,b,a, "RMS size", "ms", 5, 0, 1000, 0.1, 1);
did this work?
Is it possible to get this kind of update?

Just let us use as large values for attacks, releases and precomps and rms sizes as we want... something like a 2000ms should be as big as needed really for anything practical. but opening that field up for whatever value needed would be really really cool.
henu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #169
juliansader

Yes, it did work. Long long ago I uploaded the script to the stash. It has several other mods, and looks like this:

IIRC, the script mimics ReaComp closely, with one exception being the release behavior. It would be great if some EEL scripter could mod that feature.

Last edited by juliansader; 12-18-2022 at 04:37 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #170
mpl

I have "Peak follower tools" script, which do the same. I didn't follow ReaComp behaviour, just build peak follower as is. What release behaviour is expected (formula or something)?
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #171
juliansader

(WARNING: I haven't checked this in ages, so my information may be outdated.)

ReaComp does not have a "Peak hold" option, but it seems to automatically apply something that looks like a peak hold, with length equal to the RMS.

This image shows an item with three takes:
* Top: The original audio, simply noise suddenly going loud and then soft again;
* Middle: ReaComp, with Pre-comp = RMS = 100ms, and fast attack/release;
* Bottom: The EEL script, with same settings.

Because the EEL script doesn't apply peak hold, the compression gradually starts lifting *before* the noise goes soft.

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:53 AM   #172
babag

Default script controls open off screen

think i have a pretty good use for this and wanted to try it after having forgotten about it for a long time. ran into a problem: when i run the script, it comes up off my screen. anyone know where the settings would be in the script that could be modified to change the coordinates for where it opens? would be a shame to not be able to try it just because i can't see it when it opens.

edit:
unbelievably, i was able to find it. it's in the section labeled:

Code:
//-- init ------------------------------
function gui.init()
there are x, y coordinates there. changed x = 100 to 2100 and the window appeared.

sorry for the bother but maybe this helps someone else with an odd linux display setup.

end edit

thanks,
babag

Last edited by babag; 02-05-2023 at 03:25 PM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:47 AM   #173
z-hunter

Default no right-click menu item

Thank you for a very interesting new way of compression. But I ran into a problem.
I installed Envelope-based Compressor v2 from the repository, it was added to the list of actions, I can call it from there and see UI. But when I right-click on an media item, this script is not in the context menu. Accordingly, it cannot be used. What to do in such a situation?
(Reaper and SWS installed is the latest version).
z-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:52 AM   #174
cfillion

Scripts don't go into menus on their own. They're usually used from the Action List. If you'd like (it's not required), you can add it to your media item context menu via Options > Customize menus/toolbars.

There is no difference between launching a script from the action list, a keyboard shortcut, a customized menu or other ways.

Last edited by cfillion; 07-15-2023 at 07:59 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #175
z-hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
There is no difference between launching a script from the action list, a keyboard shortcut, a customized menu or other ways.
Thank you! Initially, I was a little confused because I learned about this plugin from a video in which someone had such a menu.
z-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:34 AM   #176
Roos

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I did not see. Eo really good stuff! Makes life easier. But in some projects it doesn't work. It opens, but does not respond to the position of the threshold. Normal mono tracks. Their volume has not previously changed.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #177
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Sorry if this question has already been asked. I did not see. Eo really good stuff! Makes life easier. But in some projects it doesn't work. It opens, but does not respond to the position of the threshold. Normal mono tracks. Their volume has not previously changed.
If you have a time selection, the script will only affect the parts of the selected items that are within the time selection. So if you have a time selection that does not touch the selected item, nothing happens to the selected item. This has bitten me so many times.

Also, for long items it can take quite a while for the script to calculate the envelope, which might make it look like it is doing nothing.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:04 AM   #178
Roos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
If you have a time selection, the script will only affect the parts of the selected items that are within the time selection. So if you have a time selection that does not touch the selected item, nothing happens to the selected item. This has bitten me so many times.

Also, for long items it can take quite a while for the script to calculate the envelope, which might make it look like it is doing nothing.

Thank you very much! Everything is so simple
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:44 AM   #179
thechampsstyle

Just posting here to say how much I love this script ! This is one of the most clever thing ever scripted on Reaper. I used it every day, in a lot of different situations.

Yesterday, I discovered that if I change the time selection, I can fine-tune the compression on different locations without touching other parts. Absolutely fantastic !

I hope this script will be maintain in the futur, it's a priceless tool.
thechampsstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #180
Colox

Anyone know how steep the filter slopes are?
1-pole? 2? Not 4 I hope

Last edited by Colox; 12-09-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:56 AM   #181
abnegative

Quote:
Yeah, this is a bit annoying. Version 2.12 has presets, and I save the settings as an appropriately named preset.

It's not ideal, and once I looked at saving the settings for each item in project ext state, but I never got around to finish that. One day soon...
Hi Fabian,

Did you ever get around to this? I was considering attempting the same.
abnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:23 AM   #182
Coachz

Is there a way to convert the item envelope to a volume envelope ?

Also, is there a way to draw on them ? How to tweak manually, I only seem to be able to move a dot at a time.

Coachz Repo

Last edited by Coachz; 01-20-2024 at 07:35 AM.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #183
Subz

This is impressive!!

Subz

Last edited by Subz; 01-20-2024 at 10:31 AM. Reason: i fixed it
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:56 AM   #184
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Is there a way to convert the item envelope to a volume envelope ?

Also, is there a way to draw on them ? How to tweak manually, I only seem to be able to move a dot at a time.

Maybe try holding control and left drag along the curve
Old 01-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #185
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnegative View Post
Hi Fabian,

Did you ever get around to this? I was considering attempting the same.
Not really, no. I did some attempts at saving the settings used for an item in the project file, but I never finalized that. I use this script a lot, on every vocal (and more) that I mix, and I have managed to get by with using the presets.

Quote:
Maybe try holding control and left drag along the curve
Yeah, select multiple points and they will all move together as you drag one. If you want to have track volume envelope instead of take volume envelope (but why?), you can select all envelope points (select one and then Ctrl+A), copy them, and then select the track volume envelope and paste onto it.

EDIT: One other thing that I often do is to make a time selection (Alt+Right drag), and then with Shift+Ctrl+left drag I can move the entire segment within the time selection. I think that the Alt+Right drag is standard, but the Shift+Ctrl+Left drag I have set up specifically to "Move envelope segment".

Last edited by Fabian; 01-20-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #186
abnegative

Quote:
Not really, no. I did some attempts at saving the settings used for an item in the project file, but I never finalized that. I use this script a lot, on every vocal (and more) that I mix, and I have managed to get by with using the presets.
I managed to save settings for EEL:Envelope-based Deesser

I made it recall between new script instances while REAPER is open (not persistent when REAPER is closed). I'll attempt the same with this compressor... unless there is a need to save settings per project?
Old 01-21-2024, 12:16 AM   #187
abnegative

Default Added new features & Modifications [delta_v1]

* [Function] Recall previously used settings
* [Function] Resizeable GUI (static, set within script); slightly increase text size
* [Function] Bind window size to GUI layout (user cannot resize window)
* [Optional] Automatically activate volume envelope upon launch
* [Optional] Automatically show volume envelope upon launch
* [Optional] Automatically hide volume envelope upon exit
* [Aesthetics] Simplify window title to "Compressor"

The optional features can be set in inc/config.eel
Attached Files
File Type: zip compress.zip (24.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by abnegative; 01-21-2024 at 01:12 AM. Reason: obey preference to hide envelope upon launch
Old 01-22-2024, 04:39 AM   #188
hans

hey abnegative!

Thanks for bringing some updates to the compressor.
The script opens a bit outside my screen every time i run it. Can i config where it should pop up on the screen inside config.eel?
Possible to add a function to recall last window position?
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #189
Fabian

Quote:
I managed to save settings for EEL:Envelope-based Deesser

I made it recall between new script instances while REAPER is open (not persistent when REAPER is closed). I'll attempt the same with this compressor... unless there is a need to save settings per project?
I think it should remember the last used settings for each item in each project. And of course recall those settings when you select the item. You could store this as a note for each item.

BTW, some time ago (well... in 2019 ) I modded the script to remember its dock state and window pos, https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=148. I find this very useful. And it woudl solve hans's issue.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:59 PM   #190
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
hey abnegative!

Thanks for bringing some updates to the compressor.
The script opens a bit outside my screen every time i run it. Can i config where it should pop up on the screen inside config.eel?
Thanks for pointing this out. For now, you can look for this line in compress.eel:
Code:
x = 1600; y = 777; w = window_w; h = window_h; dock = 0;
and change the values of x and y.

I'll likely have a place (inside config.eel) where the user can either enter their screen resolution for center positioning, or enter exactly where they want to position it.

Quote:
I think it should remember the last used settings for each item in each project. And of course recall those settings when you select the item. You could store this as a note for each item.

BTW, some time ago (well... in 2019 ) I modded the script to remember its dock state and window pos, https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=148. I find this very useful. And it woudl solve hans's issue.
That makes sense. Thanks for the resources. I'll check them out and see what I can do!
By the way, I foresee an issue where the user selects two different audio items which had different compression settings applied. In that case, what settings does the compressor use? Default? First item's?

Last edited by abnegative; 01-22-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:03 AM   #191
abnegative

Hey Fabian, is the reason you prefer it docked the fact that it allows you to use a shortcut to open/close the script?

I notice that closing the docker doesn't stop the script from running. This means you could run into a situation where you close the docker by clicking the X in the corner (thinking you closed the script) and then you hit your shortcut to open the script again, but you realize you actually have to press it twice (once to actually close fist, then the second time to open again). This isn't a problem if you just keep using the shortcut though.

I ask because I can let the script check for your customized shortcut in order to close. That way you get the same behavior as using a docker without actually having to use it. You also get the bonus of being able to close with a click and immediately reopen with a shortcut.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:15 AM   #192
Fabian

Quote:
Hey Fabian, is the reason you prefer it docked the fact that it allows you to use a shortcut to open/close the script?
No, I do not use any shortcut to run the script. But I think that in general it is prudent of scripts to remember their position and docking state. And personally I do prefer to have this script docked at the bottom of the arrange view.

Quote:
I notice that closing the docker doesn't stop the script from running. This means you could run into a situation where you close the docker by clicking the X in the corner (thinking you closed the script) and then you hit your shortcut to open the script again, but you realize you actually have to press it twice (once to actually close fist, then the second time to open again). This isn't a problem if you just keep using the shortcut though.
Maybe I'm not following you here, but... I assigned a shortcut to (my version of) the script, and I have no problems running the script with the shortcut and then closing it by clicking the x on the docker. Hitting the shortcut again simply opens and runs the script in the docker, I don't have to hit the shortcut twice, nor do I get the "script already running dialogue".

Quote:
I ask because I can let the script check for your customized shortcut in order to close. That way you get the same behavior as using a docker without actually having to use it. You also get the bonus of being able to close with a click and immediately reopen with a shortcut.
As mentioned above, I do not see the problem with having the script docked, my version of the script, that is. Here I can already close with a click and immediately reopen with a shortcut.

As for with multiple items selected, which settings to choose from them... yeah, that's an issue, but I think that the script just deciding on way or another is good enough, and then the user has to rethink his/her usage.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:55 AM   #193
abnegative

I made some updates on the De-esser: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=41

It's now recalling settings for each take. I did this by incorporating the take GUID into the section ID for external state. If I could get some feedback on how that's working, it'll help reduce the likelihood of bugs when I release the new Compressor update.

Other new features include recalling window position and custom exit shortcut.
Fabian, I made sure Shift + Esc is honored.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:17 AM   #194
Fabian

Quote:
Fabian, I made sure Shift + Esc is honored.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate that.
Now I really have to do it myself in my own scripts
Old 01-24-2024, 05:26 PM   #195
abnegative

Default Added new features & Modifications [delta_v2]

* [Functional] Configurable exit shortcut (use_esc_to_exit/exit_char/use_exit_mod_ctrl/use_exit_mod_alt)
* [Functional] Recall window position
* [Functional] Recall settings for each take (persistent until REAPER is closed)

* [Functional] Resizeable GUI (static, set within script); slightly increase text size
* [Functional] Bind window size to GUI layout (user cannot resize window)
* [Functional] Allow user to specify initial GUI position on screen (see inc/config.eel)
* [Optional] Automatically activate volume envelope upon launch
* [Optional] Automatically show volume envelope upon launch
* [Optional] Automatically hide volume envelope upon exit
* [Visual] Simplify window title to "Compressor"

The optional features can be set in inc/config.eel
Attached Files
File Type: zip compressor_v2.zip (26.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #196
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
Done You can enter your screen resolution in config.eel and it will open at the center of your screen the first time. Afterwards, it will recall its last position.
Quote:
I think it should remember the last used settings for each item in each project. And of course recall those settings when you select the item.
Done

Update: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=195
Old 01-24-2024, 10:44 PM   #197
erikmartinez

Wow, just tested the updated de-esser and compressor with saving individual settings for each atem and it's just incredible! Thanks for taking this on! You inspired me to modify the test version of Eugene's script - Vox Deess Enveloper, it creates 4 main envelope points in the sibilant area using Volume Pre-FX track. And I always use it to first create the necessary points, then transfer all the envelope points to another automation line, for example with the soothe plugin with the depth parameter (and with the sibilant range), and then do the envelope inversion, quite a big crutch but with a little understanding, I think I can realize it .
By the way, using automation of plugin parameters for manual correction of sibilants is a powerful thing, especially using the works of the late Eugene.
erikmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:02 AM   #198
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmartinez View Post
Wow, just tested the updated de-esser and compressor with saving individual settings for each atem and it's just incredible! Thanks for taking this on! You inspired me to modify the test version of Eugene's script - Vox Deess Enveloper, it creates 4 main envelope points in the sibilant area using Volume Pre-FX track. And I always use it to first create the necessary points, then transfer all the envelope points to another automation line, for example with the soothe plugin with the depth parameter (and with the sibilant range), and then do the envelope inversion, quite a big crutch but with a little understanding, I think I can realize it .
By the way, using automation of plugin parameters for manual correction of sibilants is a powerful thing, especially using the works of the late Eugene.
It's an honor to have inspired you. I only use 10 scripts and two of them are yours (non-GUI MIDI note split/offset), so thanks for your work! I think you'll do well with Vox Deess Enveloper.

And I agree, these automation scripts are powerful. I would like to make an Expander mode for this compressor (not sure if/when I'll get around to it). Fun fact, just changing two characters in this script turns it into a very rudimentary Gate: In function CompD.Apply(env) change '>' to '<' and '-' to '+'
Old 01-25-2024, 06:41 AM   #199
hans

Thank you so much ! The recall function is fantastic! Great update!
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:35 AM   #200
abnegative

Default Added new features & Modifications [delta_v3]

*[Functional] Add knee size prameter (Thanks juliansader: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=169)
*[Functional] Match ReaComp parameter default values and ranges(wider)

*[Functional] Configurable exit shortcut (use_esc_to_exit/exit_char/use_exit_mod_ctrl/use_exit_mod_alt)
*[Functional] Recall window position
*[Functional] Recall settings for each take (persistent until REAPER is closed)
*[Functional] Resizeable GUI (static, set within script); slightly increase text size
*[Functional] Bind window size to GUI layout (user cannot resize window)
*[Functional] Allow user to specify initial GUI position on screen (see inc/config.eel)
*[Optional] Automatically activate volume envelope upon launch
*[Optional] Automatically show volume envelope upon launch
*[Optional] Automatically hide volume envelope upon exit
*[Visual] Improve controls layout (better space usage)
*[Visual] Match ReaComp labels

*[Visual] Simplify window title to "Compressor"

To configure behavior to you liking, edit inc/config.eel

Sidenote:
I saw juliansader mention somewhere that the Pre-comp should not apply to the release, and he's right. See this video for a great explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Ol5FPvHfs
I think once that is addressed, this script will be perfect. If someone with more experience would like to take on this challenge that would be awesome!
Attached Files
File Type: zip compress_v3.zip (27.1 KB, 35 views)