Old 06-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
Cellobanana
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Cello

So i've been recording some cello tracks and the sound is so different in a playback. Really metal like the sound would be played from a small tincan. Dont know if it matters too much based on the information i've been reading that the microphone and audio interface dont change the too much. Got 3rd gen scarlett and blue spark xlr or something like that. But that playback sound is just weird. My cello sounds more like those old radios then a tincan. The mic placement is somewhere 1,5m.
Cellobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
MiddleC

Is it the Blue Blackout Spark? Seems like it might be a glorified podcasting mic. I assume you've got your phantom power enabled. I think you might have to get closer than that, too. Mind you, I've never mic'd a cello.

Quick search yields: https://fidlarmusic.com/how-to-mic-a-cello/
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
DVDdoug

I don't know but it's usually mostly-about mic position/location. You can research that. Recording is usually different from amplification/sound reinforcement.

If you are in a "good room" it will probably sound better with some distance to get relatively-more room-sound/reverb and more of the whole-instrument sound. Close micing helps to drown-out room noise and you can add (artificial) reverb as desired later.

Someone listening live in a music hall will hear lots of reverb, but that much reverb usually sounds unusual coming from speakers at home.

The main difference between the "sound" of different mics is frequency response with condenser mics generally having stronger highs than dynamic mics, etc. Condensers also put-out a hotter signal and that helps to drown-out any preamp noise. That's important with "quiet" (or dynamic) acoustic instruments. (It doesn't make any difference with acoustic room noise since you get more acoustic noise and more acoustic signal.)

The main difference between interfaces is noise from the preamp. There is usually some noise but most interfaces are acceptable. (Acoustic room noise is usually a bigger issue.) And the preamp in some interfaces doesn't have enough gain for with dynamic mics (depending on what you are recording and the distance to the mic).

P.S.
If you are the cellist it's going to sound different to a listener at a different distance and a different angle. But, you've probably also heard some good cello recordings.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 06-13-2022 at 01:26 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
jnorman34

I do chamber music and have recorded many cellos. I would assume your problem is the microphone, which is geared toward voice work, and no doubt has a significant high end boost. For cello, I would typically use an AB pair or ORTF pair of flat response SDCs about 3-4 feet out from the upper part of the body. The most affordable mics I can think of that I might use for acoustic instruments are the Line Audio CM4 cardioid (if you have a non-treated space) or OM1 omni (if you have a nice sounding space to record in. The Line Audio mics are extremely good bang for the buck for acoustic work due to their flat frequency response curve. Try to avoid mics that have boosted high frequency response, which most inexpensive mics have…
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Whatever your mic and room options are, mic placement makes a huge difference. If it's sounding too metallic try moving the mic further from the bow. It sounds like maybe you're micing it pretty close? Move it back at least a few feet, more if the room is good sounding, and then listen and move closer or further to taste. You want to get the sound as resonated off the body. If there's too much rosin and it needs to be much warmer you can move the mic pointed completely not at the bow. Try everywhere, below the bridge, toward the front side of the body, from higher and aimed down etc, and see how you like the results.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
Cellobanana

Okay, Thanks fort your comments! I've been stuck with this so long. I got better results with my phone and headphones, doing just video and recording. The phone isn't even top price to begin with, which is really odd. Since reaper is software for recording but i'm total newbie with this stuff.

Guess i try different mic for starters and the distance.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
martifingers

A professional cellist I was working with brought along her own mic:
https://www.astonmics.com/EN/product/mics/starlight

Very cool and sounded great.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
MiddleC

Pricier than I think the OP had in mind... but that Starlight looks extremely interesting to me.

I'm mostly trying to capture acoustic guitar and sometimes ukulele, but I'm not very good at getting the sound down so far. My best results were a decade ago with an SM57... but now I'm interested in trying again!
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #9
chmaha

As per jnorman34's post, you need to be thinking a stereo pair of some kind be it budget (Behringer B5 pair), something in the middle (sE Electronics sE8 pair?) or top-of-the-range like a Schoeps MSTC 64 U or pair of Gefells etc. In other words, a single Aston Starlight isn't going to produce what you need unless it's just being used as a mono spot.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #10
jerome_oneil

Resonant instruments are always going to sound better in a resonant space. 100% on the stereo mic setups mentioned here, but if you're in your bedroom or some other square space, all you're going to get is a much better recording of a crappy room.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:59 AM   #11
Cellobanana

About the space where i'm at is actually quite small.

But i have chance to go in chappel. There are 3 different types of rooms with a fair echo if you would called, like the big one is for at least 40-50ppl, then the next second is for 20-30 and the last is this smaller the roof is like shaped round. Also i have access to bandcamp new type with acoustic walls which you can modify to open them, so it supposed to let the sound move more?

I dont have a laptop, but would like to hear recomendations any budget friendly but willing to put some effort.

And been trying to record as mono so guess the stereo is a must on cello?
Old 06-16-2022, 06:07 AM   #12
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellobanana View Post
Yes. Microphone quality aside, it might also explain why you thought things sounded like a tin can with everything bunched in the middle of the stereo image coming out of the DAW. There's a lovely budget option for an ORTF recording setup: https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_s502mkii.htm
Old 06-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #13
vdubreeze

It would be good to know what kind of recording you're going for and what the context is. What is the recording for? IMO, for now, you have a mic and it's more important to learn some good recording technique with it than to go out and buy more gear immediately. You say you don't own a laptop but can we assume this is recording with one?

The Blue has two swtitches that shouldn't be engaged. One is a -20 db pad which prevents the Scarlett from overloading from loud drums and etc but otherwise makes it have to turn up much too high for sources like cellos. The other is a high pass filter, which ramps off low end, useful if you don't want low end or if the low end in the room is offensive, but since it's not clear where or how much is being cut off, leave it off. If it has a setting on the high pass that's cutting it off at too high a frequency it can definitely make a cello sound thin. Make sure both of those switches are not engaged.

The Blue Spark is an inexpensive $200 mic that doesn't sound like a $700 mic, but there's no reason you can't get a sound that isn't like in a tin can from it. I agree with jerome and beth that a decent stereo mic will for sure sound better and more natural as far as your ambience (if the space sounds decent) but what you're using now shouldn't be such an offensive sound as mono. There's probably a few things going on that you can do with what you have to clear up what you're unhappy with.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #14
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellobanana View Post
Yeah. Put your ear next to the instrument and strike a note. Then move your ear to a different part of the instrument and strike the note again. You'll get a different sound. Same problem with acoustic guitars and fiddles. A two mic setup will capture more of what is coming off the instrument and give you something to mix.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:24 AM   #15
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Yeah. Put your ear next to the instrument and strike a note. Then move your ear to a different part of the instrument and strike the note again. You'll get a different sound. Same problem with acoustic guitars and fiddles. A two mic setup will capture more of what is coming off the instrument and give you something to mix.
That's not the reason why we are suggesting stereo (well, at least, I'm not). I assumed we are talking about a solo stereo recording which in that case is about picking up the room and all the subtle cues that tell the ears that the instrument is indeed in a space. If it's just for mixing into a pop song or similar, a closed-miked mono recording would be absolutely fine.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #16
pkev

Default Mic

If you ever get the opportunity - Try a Ribbon Mic for Cello

Pkev
Old 06-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #17
jopatius

Regarding this comment from the original poster:

"I got better results with my phone and headphones, doing just video and recording."

Could it be that you are trying to record with your microphone and reaper *while having your loudspeakers active during recording*? Not using your headphones?

You just have to mute your loudspeakers while recording! Use headphones instead!
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:40 PM   #18
Cellobanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
Regarding this comment from the original poster:

"I got better results with my phone and headphones, doing just video and recording."

Could it be that you are trying to record with your microphone and reaper *while having your loudspeakers active during recording*? Not using your headphones?

You just have to mute your loudspeakers while recording! Use headphones instead!
I have these Akg k240 Headphones. I keep the left ear open but the otherside keeps hitting the peg cause these are pretty big. Would like smaller ones.

I listen the playbacks from the headphones. I understand that when the headphones are in there is no sound coming from speakers.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:41 PM   #19
Cellobanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkev View Post
If you ever get the opportunity - Try a Ribbon Mic for Cello

Pkev
Been thinking this and will do someday.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #20
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
That's not the reason why we are suggesting stereo (well, at least, I'm not). I assumed we are talking about a solo stereo recording which in that case is about picking up the room and all the subtle cues that tell the ears that the instrument is indeed in a space. If it's just for mixing into a pop song or similar, a closed-miked mono recording would be absolutely fine.
Sure. That goes back to my original comment that resonant instruments are going to sound better in resonant spaces. If you have a resonant space, then a setup like you suggest will work well.

OP sounds like he is in his bedroom, though, where "defensive micing" is going to have to happen. A single close mic at the bridge is going to sound very different than a single close mic on the board or the neck. So a stereo setup will capture a more realistic recording there, too.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #21
pursgo

without knowing your space I would suggest 2 close(ish) mics reminisce of acc gtr. one on the f hole and one on the fingerboard. Let mic placement be your friend. My pick tlm103 and 441 but the mic options are endless depending on instrument , your playing and space. Best of luck.
pursgo is offline   Reply With Quote