Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
KenAinsworth
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashes with mac OS Catalina 10.15.4

My iMac automatically updated my OS to Catalina 10.15.4 two weeks ago and since that time I have not been able to get Reaper to run...any attempts result in Reaper crashing and a notice saying Reaper quit unexpectedly. I have tried reinstalling both the Catalina version of Reaper and the 64 bit Reaper but always get the same result. I have a cue of work to do and a few projects to start and obviously cannot get to any of that while this is going on. Can anyone help me work through this? I'm beyond frustrated at this point and considering changing DAWs if there is no way forward. Thanks.
KenAinsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
cyrano

10.15.4 contains a bug, recognized by Apple. It doesn't hit everyone. It does affect a lot of audio drivers, but I haven't seen any reports from the video pros yet.

I'm afraid only Apple can fix this, since it has to do with the security subsystem.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Patrice Brousseau

There is recent Catalina supplemental update, worth a try maybe? No TimeMachine or CCC backups of two weeks ago?
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
nycmike

I am suffering a similar problem. Very difficult and somewhat intermittent, although this evening it's getting out of hand.

Simple two track set up in Reaper 6.18 OSX64 on Catalina 10.15.5. Recently purchased imac 2019 3ghz i5.

Recording through Amplion plug in and when adding an additional plug-in I get a crash similar to the OP above. First crash was adding Waves Rverb, then on restart adding Q EQ.

Had been running reasonably unscathed, but crashing once or twice a week in itself not really acceptable, tonight making this unusable. Any ideas or something obvious I'm missing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
nycmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:15 AM   #5
vanhaze

Maybe a longshot but you can try this:

1) Install OSX 10.15.7 Combo update:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?locale=nl_NL

2) After that, run the free OSX maintenance utility Onyx:
https://www.titanium-software.fr/download/1015/OnyX.dmg

3) Make sure you have the latest versions of the troublesome plugins installed and also
(if any) the latest driver for your audio device.

4) Use the latest Reaper version.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
nycmike

Thank you, sir. I will give that a try. The Waves stuff was all recently updated. I will try the other actions and report back.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Try this build:

https://www.reaper.fm/files/6.x/reap...6_64-clang.dmg

(It's not notarized so you'll have to right click it and choose "Open"...)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
nycmike

I updated to 10.15.7, re-confirmed all the Waves/Spitfire LABS plugins are up to date (the crashed project has Ivy Audio piano + TDR Nova as well and recently downloaded). Also updated reaper to the latest 6.19 (thanks, Justin, as well).

Frustratingly after a reboot to clean everything Reaper crashed before opening twice.

Not sure if it helps with this or any other folks with a similar problem, but I will put the crash report at the bottom.

Maybe a dumb question, but when you right click / open, do you have to do that just the first time or each time you launch Reaper?

Thanks again to all. This is getting a bit frustrating.

EDIT: The third time I accepted the prompt to not open the project that seemed to be failing to allow the program to open. The project in question is a simple two tracks with AmpLion plus Waves REQ + RVerb. Perhaps and very hopefully the latest crash is due to the outlier amp plug in and I can use something else.

---

Process: REAPER [594]
Path: /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER
Identifier: com.cockos.reaper
Version: 6.19.0 80a557e (6.19.0 80a557e)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: REAPER [594]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-01-04 22:17:55.802 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: B51F3A68-DBAB-1CDA-7502-D3CD9087C3AB

Time Awake Since Boot: 300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 reaper Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffffffffffba
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [594]

Last edited by nycmike; 01-04-2021 at 08:32 PM. Reason: new info on the issue
Old 01-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
thresholdpeople

I don't have any great tips to help, however I will just say that I'm running the latest version of Catalina on a MacBook Pro from late 2019/early 2020 (though it must be said that it was never updated from the previous OS, it's always run Catalina), and I'm able to run Reaper 6.19 smoothly with no crashes. So, yeah hopefully someone has better tips, but just saying that it isn't an inherent incompatibility.. so it should be fixable.
thresholdpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmike View Post
I updated to 10.15.7, re-confirmed all the Waves/Spitfire LABS plugins are up to date (the crashed project has Ivy Audio piano + TDR Nova as well and recently downloaded). Also updated reaper to the latest 6.19 (thanks, Justin, as well).
Can you give us a link to the full crash report so we can see what crashed where?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
nycmike

I don't have the full report of that specific crash, but I just came back to this thread after having Reaper crash upon opening. Full report is below. I would be fine to roll back to a previous version of Mac OS.

The full report wouldn't post due to character limit, here's the google doc link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help again.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #12
tristanplaysguitar

Hey, I'm also having this same problem. Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2020 iMac. Here are some crash logs: https://justpaste.it/6nqqd

Since I've started saving reports, it's crashed with EXC_BAD_ACCESS for:
- izotope ozone imager
- valhalla plate
- reaper itself/some native call

It happens most often (90% of the time) when I open the render dialog box, or when the render finishes and it attempts to close the render dialog box.

I experience multiple crashes per session usually, some more than others. Really frustrating. Any ideas?

Last edited by tristanplaysguitar; 02-26-2021 at 03:52 PM.
tristanplaysguitar is offline   Reply With Quote