Old 12-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #1
inertia
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 728
Default Lowering snare in overheads

I am working on some drum tracks and the snare is very prominent in the overheads.

Because I am sample replacing the snare I need to lower the effect in the OH mics.

At the moment, I have an eq on the OHs and just dip the area around the snare, which is working OK.

Does anyone have any better techniques? Would side chaining with a multiband compressor be a more effective solution?
__________________
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
poulhoi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I am working on some drum tracks and the snare is very prominent in the overheads.

Because I am sample replacing the snare I need to lower the effect in the OH mics.

At the moment, I have an eq on the OHs and just dip the area around the snare, which is working OK.

Does anyone have any better techniques? Would side chaining with a multiband compressor be a more effective solution?
You can try working with Mid/Side compression and EQ'ing, perhaps even M/S dynamic eq; that will let you be a little more heavy handed without destroying the rest of the kit.

I would encourage you to try and not overdo it though. Pretty often blending the original drum track with a sample can sound really good.
poulhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17 AM   #3
inertia
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulhoi View Post
You can try working with Mid/Side compression and EQ'ing, perhaps even M/S dynamic eq; that will let you be a little more heavy handed without destroying the rest of the kit.

I would encourage you to try and not overdo it though. Pretty often blending the original drum track with a sample can sound really good.
Absolutely, I don't need the snare totally out of the way, it adds a little body to the sample and is around 85% sample.

Will give the M/S a try.
__________________
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
bFooz
Human being with feelings
 
bFooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 1,676
Default

You can try to eq out lows under 1k with non-steep hipass filter. And after that put a limiter. Set the threshold so that it is just above sound when crash cymbals play. When the snare comes in, it will flatten it while leaving cymbals untouched when they play alone.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
_parasite_
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Default

use a limiter or a fast compressor to shave down the snare.
_parasite_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
ramses
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 920
Default

Duplicate the oh tracks, put a gate on one to just let the snare through. Flip polarity. Blend to taste.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Nick Morris
Human being with feelings
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 549
Default

put a compressor on the overheads and trigger the compression from your snare sample. Ive done this countless times when sent tracks with overly loud snare in the over heads. Works everytime.
__________________
www.ElaireStudios.com
Robo-Mic RMS robotic remote controlled mic stands aimed at mic'ing amps
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
valy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
put a compressor on the overheads and trigger the compression from your snare sample. Ive done this countless times when sent tracks with overly loud snare in the over heads. Works everytime.
I do this a lot with a multiband compressor, but with the hi-hat track instead of the snare. Those damn hi-hats in the overheads can be brutal.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.