Old 12-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #1
inertia
Human being with feelings

Default Lowering snare in overheads

I am working on some drum tracks and the snare is very prominent in the overheads.

Because I am sample replacing the snare I need to lower the effect in the OH mics.

At the moment, I have an eq on the OHs and just dip the area around the snare, which is working OK.

Does anyone have any better techniques? Would side chaining with a multiband compressor be a more effective solution?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
poulhoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I am working on some drum tracks and the snare is very prominent in the overheads.

Because I am sample replacing the snare I need to lower the effect in the OH mics.

At the moment, I have an eq on the OHs and just dip the area around the snare, which is working OK.

Does anyone have any better techniques? Would side chaining with a multiband compressor be a more effective solution?
You can try working with Mid/Side compression and EQ'ing, perhaps even M/S dynamic eq; that will let you be a little more heavy handed without destroying the rest of the kit.

I would encourage you to try and not overdo it though. Pretty often blending the original drum track with a sample can sound really good.
poulhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17 AM   #3
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulhoi View Post
You can try working with Mid/Side compression and EQ'ing, perhaps even M/S dynamic eq; that will let you be a little more heavy handed without destroying the rest of the kit.

I would encourage you to try and not overdo it though. Pretty often blending the original drum track with a sample can sound really good.
Absolutely, I don't need the snare totally out of the way, it adds a little body to the sample and is around 85% sample.

Will give the M/S a try.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
bFooz

You can try to eq out lows under 1k with non-steep hipass filter. And after that put a limiter. Set the threshold so that it is just above sound when crash cymbals play. When the snare comes in, it will flatten it while leaving cymbals untouched when they play alone.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
_parasite_

use a limiter or a fast compressor to shave down the snare.
_parasite_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
ramses

Duplicate the oh tracks, put a gate on one to just let the snare through. Flip polarity. Blend to taste.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Nick Morris

put a compressor on the overheads and trigger the compression from your snare sample. Ive done this countless times when sent tracks with overly loud snare in the over heads. Works everytime.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
put a compressor on the overheads and trigger the compression from your snare sample. Ive done this countless times when sent tracks with overly loud snare in the over heads. Works everytime.
I do this a lot with a multiband compressor, but with the hi-hat track instead of the snare. Those damn hi-hats in the overheads can be brutal.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote