Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Aidan_S
Human being with feelings

Default Playback stuttering/slowdown caused by plugin UIs (SOLVED)

I wonder if anyone can help...I've had no luck searching the forums.

I'm running Reaper 5.95 x64 on Windows 10.

Whenever I run certain plugins, I encounter an issue whereby playback intermittently stutters and slows down (as if abusing a time-stretching effect; you can hear the gaps between individual samples). This happens when I have the plugin UIs switched on. If I toggle to the Reaper plugin UI the problem reduces.

Attached is a screenshot of the resources meter whilst this is happening. I've added labels indicating where the plugin UI was switched in and out and you can see a huge difference in CPU usage. The worst stuttering coincided with peaks in the green trace which I take to indicate disk usage (also labelled on the image).

I've so far unplugged everything but the audio card (Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6) and removed any suspect plugins, leaving only Waves, Native Instruments and Eventide plugins installed.

The problem occurs with pretty much any Waves plugin and certain NI ones, particularly Replika.

I realise I can mostly circumvent the issue by not using the UIs, but they're easier to use with the native UI and, besides, I'm keen to get to the bottom of this, as it didn't used to be an issue.

Any pointers anyone can give would be gratefully received.

-Aidan
Attached Images
File Type: png ReaperMadness.png (44.9 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Aidan_S; 09-25-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Problem has been solved.
Aidan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
poetnprophet

Any of these plugins on the Master track? Plugins on the master track can certainly cause this behavior

Which plugs specifically?

When did this problem start happening?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Aidan_S

No plugins on the master track at all.

The problem is worst with Waves (e.g. SSL Channel) and NI Replika. A combination of these two can cause Reaper to grind to a halt completely (if their native UIs are showing).

I'm actually not sure when this problem started - might have been around when I upgraded to Windows 10 but I've been putting up with it for a while.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan_S View Post
The problem is worst with Waves (e.g. SSL Channel) and NI Replika. A combination of these two can cause Reaper to grind to a halt completely (if their native UIs are showing).
Both Waves plugins and Replika use OpenGL (hardware accelaration) for their GUIs afaik. So it may be an issue related to graphics card / driver.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...thread.231005/

You can check with this app which OpenGL version is currently supported on your computer:
http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Aidan_S

Thank you, nofish. I did a clean install of all the relevant drivers and it's behaving much better now. Replika is still throwing the odd glitch but that seems to be a Replika problem.

--Aidan
Old 09-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
nofish

You're welcome, glad it helped.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote