Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default A few questions as I start to see the light. Eq, for example

Hullo Fellow Reapers,

I have finally started to feel a bit comfortable with Reaper after travelling there from Audacityland.

A question about equalisation, if you don't min.

I have started using some of the presets in the Eq function to ease myself into doing this.
In the top right-hand corner something is ticked (what is this for)?
"Enabled" on the left is ticked.
And "Realeq (Cockos) in the top left-hand corner is ticked.
I suppose I am supposed to leave them as they are.

My first question is how do I switch between listening to the original track (unequalised) and the track that is being equalised? Is there an easy way to switch back and forth while applying/experimenting with effects?

How can I be sure I have reset my original unprocessed track before leaving VST "Realeq (Cockos)?

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
In the top right-hand corner something is ticked (what is this for)? ...
... And "Realeq (Cockos) in the top left-hand corner is ticked.
These two boxes have the same function and are for bypassing the ReaEQ plugin. This is one possible way to toggle between the dry and affected signal.

Quote:
"Enabled" on the left is ticked.
This one is for enabling/disabling a EQ band. By default ReaEQ loads with 4 EQ Bands (represented by the 4 numbered dots in the grid and the corresponding settings tabs for each band)

Quote:
How can I be sure I have reset my original unprocessed track before leaving VST "Realeq (Cockos)?
One way is to simply bypass the ReaEQ plugin again.

In addition these videos should also be helpful:

- https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#cix4K9ACzEo
- https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#jgUS6tC5FDs
- https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#Yqa5gbf1K4Q
- Or check out the videos in the 'FX and Plugins' category, in general

Last edited by solger; 05-23-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: video links added
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks very much for your prompt answer, Solger, and for the video clips.

"This is one is for enabling/disabling a EQ band. By default ReaEQ loads with 4 EQ Bands (represented by the 4 numbered dots in the grid and the corresponding settings tabs for each band)"

So if I untick (uncheck) enable all four bands will be disabled or just one?

And if I play about four 10/20 minutes trying out different presets on my track and /or experimenting myself, all I have to do to eradicate all the changes and have my original track is to untick the box in the top right-hand corner or the "Realeq (Cockos) in the top left-hand corner?

And does the same principle apply to all the FX and plugins?

Sorry for insisting but I keep making mistakes with Reaper and I usually end up leaving the program altogether and not saving any changes so as to make sure I have my original recording.

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 AM   #4
Stella645

If you play with a plugin and don't want to keep it's settings why not just remove the plugin.

Quote:
One band....which you can easily see for yourself by unticking it and then looking in the tab for the other bands.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Each Band can be enabled/disabled separately.

Quote:
And if I play about four 10/20 minutes trying out different presets on my track and /or experimenting myself, all I have to do to eradicate all the changes and have my original track is to untick the box in the top right-hand corner or the "Realeq (Cockos) in the top left-hand corner?

Just putting a plugin or a realtime effect (like EQ, Reverb, etc.) on the Audio Track won't change the original source audio file itself. It's basically like, for instance, sending the audio output from a guitar through a FX pedal chain.
In contrast, recording or rendering an Audio Track with effect plugins on it will result in an audio file with the effects already applied to it.

If you don't want to use a plugin on a Track anymore, you can either (temporarily) disable/untick the plugin. Or remove it completely from the Track FX Chain (you can always add the plugin again later if necessary).

Quote:
Sorry for insisting but I keep making mistakes with Reaper and I usually end up leaving the program altogether and not saving any changes so as to make sure I have my original recording.
A good strategy in general is to save a copy of your project under a different name using File > Save project as with the following option boxes checked at the bottom:
- Create subdirectory for project
- Copy all media into project directory

This way you can load the project copy and try out things there (without affecting the original project).

Last edited by solger; 05-24-2018 at 11:38 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
RDBOIS
Banned

"A few questions as I start to see the light..."

Have you have been illuminated by the light bearer?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Thanks very much for your prompt answer, Solger, and for the video clips.

"This is one is for enabling/disabling a EQ band. By default ReaEQ loads with 4 EQ Bands (represented by the 4 numbered dots in the grid and the corresponding settings tabs for each band)"

Anton
You don't have to worry - Reaper does not make any permanent changes to any audio. And if you turn on Autobackup, you can simply load the version saved last. That's why they call it nondestructive editing.

Any audio files written by Reaper are new files, always. The original is always left untouched.