Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
earforce
Human being with feelings

Default Reverb Concept in Oldschool Music

The point is oldschool music like Blues, Rock, Soul, Funk - but in a comtemporary sound.

In most reverb plugins are presets called like snare plate, drum room, guitar room, overhead ambience, acoustic guitar etc. This means, every instrument or single percussion instrument can/should have its own reverb.

My approach is to have 3 reverbs for a mix as sends effects. A ambience for all instruments and vocals for getting a common room for all. Like a band plying together in a common room. A second reverb with some room information and and a third with a hall reverb for sustain.

In reverb 2 and 3 go instruments and vocals, with different levels, a matter of taste.
Some times i give the drum bus a bit of drum room as a send effect.

What ist a PRO approach for such kind oft music to deal with reverb.

Last edited by earforce; 06-22-2018 at 11:55 PM.
earforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
pkev

Default My approach

I'm certainly no pro but I have a simple view of using reverb.

I come more from a live mixing background than anything else so have been limited in being able to have different reverbs for different instruments.
In other words, I dont have a bank of reverb units to hand in my live set up.

I'm of the mind though that if i'm playing in a studio then I'll use studio reverb or room reverb whatever the room size. In any case, all instruments and vocals would use same reverb cos thats the space i'm playing or recording in.

I do sound in a church setting but wont use a Church reverb or large hall etc. That's because of the natural reverb within those kinds of places. I would be more inclined to perhaps use a plate reverb or even gated reverb in larger halls.

The principle for me is don't record any fx you can't reproduce in a live
setting.

YMMV
Cheers
pkev
Old 06-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by earforce View Post
My approach is to have 3 reverbs for a mix as sends effects. A ambience for all instruments and vocals for getting a common room for all. Like a band plying together in a common room. A second reverb with some room information and and a third with a hall reverb for sustain.
There is no best way for reverbs. I add reverbs as I need them, sometimes I will have only
one, sometimes 3 or 4. On the project I'm working on right now I've got 6 verbs.

Also I take little credence in the names of the IRs, the names basically give a clue as to
the color of the IR. That doesn't mean I won't use an IR labeled for drums, but actually I
seldom do.

It's all subjective, but over the years I've come to prefer an algorithmic plate for vocals,
I've got the Waves TruVerb that I like for this, mainly because I'm used to it.

For convoverbs, I use "ReaVerb" and "Reverberate" by LiquidSonics. The IRs I pick depend on
what I'm trying to do. The length and color are the most determining factors.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
Zukan

Earforce, you are already using the tried and tested 3 verb trick a la old days.

I generally go by reverb types (plates for vocals etc) and also use a global sheen verb. I wonder if this method is still used or do people use verbs on inserts and treat each sound on its own merit?
Zukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
jerome_oneil

Unless it's a vocal track, I rarely put verb on an individual track. It's supposed to be the room effect, and I want my finished mix to sound like it was all recorded in the same room, so I generally put it on a buss.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
TimU

I tend to have 1-3 reverb sends per project, with the smaller ones routed into the larger at something like -12dB alongside their routing to the master, helps create a more realistic space since you have earlier reflections feeding into the larger ambience. This is especially useful for grounding my music since it gets pretty experimental at times
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
serr

The only time I use special case reverbs on only one track would be for stuff like extending a tom drum ring out or helping an acoustic instrument that only had a piezo pickup (so faking the ambience/wood tone/etc). I'd still put those on a separate bus track though - not an insert on the source track. I like the ability to manage the reverb element on its own track. I can mute it and have the original untouched at a glance for an A/B reference. Having to open a reverb plugin and adjust a wet/dry blend and then having to re-balance that tracks output would make me scream!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote