Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #441
oldmanstan
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I really must have a play with this exceptional piece of work!. Regarding jitter with feedback, when I wrote a BCR2000 control surface for Reaper waaayyy back some users reported this problem which turned out to be associated with the 'deadband' setting for the BCR. If set too low it processed the feedback message while still being moved. Otherwise with the default the BCR was smart enough to ignore feedback until the source rotary had stopped moving and the deadband timeout had expired.

I don't know if the X-Touch has this configurable. If not, it may be necessary to add this functionality to ReaLearn, perhaps, so that it does not send feedback until an idle time elapses from input ceasing. Otherwise the control 'fights' the feedback.
Would like to pop in and say, that the fix for me, was to open the X-Touch Edit app, and change the encoder settings from "Absolute", to "Relative 1", and updating to the "Pre Release". : )

edit: and discovering that some FX parameters change the "Step Size" option into "Speed" for some reason, which breaks the previous fix : (

Last edited by oldmanstan; 08-02-2020 at 02:12 PM.
oldmanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #442
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstan View Post
Oh, I was so glad to see that someone had the same issue as me!

Though, it looks like this fix only works when using the knobs to control REAPER's volume faders.

If I use the X-Touch Mini's knobs to control an FX parameter, I get slow/jittery controls, only when feedback is on.

Noticing that the original dev has been updating this, so maybe I'll be lucky enough to hear there's a fix in the most recent version? Or get a tip to double check an obvious mistake I could have made?

Either way - thank you for your work helgoboss!
Unfortunately I don't have an X-Touch Mini at home. It's interesting that the feedback coming from ReaLearn influences the values sent by the device. I would only expect this with motorized faders, not with rotary encoders. Maybe you have configured your X-Touch Mini encoders to transmit absolute values, then I guess this could happen. In that case you should definitely configure them to transmit relative values, that's always better and gives you more control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I really must have a play with this exceptional piece of work!. Regarding jitter with feedback, when I wrote a BCR2000 control surface for Reaper waaayyy back some users reported this problem which turned out to be associated with the 'deadband' setting for the BCR. If set too low it processed the feedback message while still being moved. Otherwise with the default the BCR was smart enough to ignore feedback until the source rotary had stopped moving and the deadband timeout had expired.

I don't know if the X-Touch has this configurable. If not, it may be necessary to add this functionality to ReaLearn, perhaps, so that it does not send feedback until an idle time elapses from input ceasing. Otherwise the control 'fights' the feedback.
Same question here ... are you sure this problem exists with BCR2000 rotary encoders in relative mode? I assume these are normal endless rotary encoders, not motorized (I guess encoders are never motorized?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstan View Post
Would like to pop in and say, that the fix for me, was to open the X-Touch Edit app, and change the encoder settings from "Absolute", to "Relative 1", and updating to the "Pre Release". : )

edit: and discovering that some FX parameters change the "Step Size" option into "Speed" for some reason, which breaks the previous fix : (
Yes, if you are in the nice position to own a controller with endless encoders, then it would be a shame to use absolute mode. Definitely use a relative one!

The "Speed Min/Max" setting is used for FX parameters which have an atomic minimum step size. You can find details in the pre7 User Guide. Search the document for "Speed Min/Max". How exactly does this break the fix?
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #443
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Published ReaLearn prerelease v1.10.0-pre7: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn

Changes:
- Added target 'Track FX all enable' (without feedback)
I finally got a chance to update and try it out, and it works beautifully! Thanks so much. Now I can shuffle my instruments around without worrying about the track order, and save a few cpu cycles over Muting tracks...back to re-patching...
Old 08-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #444
ChocolateHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Hi! I had the same problem and I was stuck. A workaround came to me, when I was falling asleep yesterday at 2am thinking about the issue:

I have assigned a shortcut to a button on my controller which does two things:

1) Toggle show floating fx for selected track
2) Toggle record arm for specific track where ReaLearn is (for me 76)

By default track 76 is record armed to the appropriate midi input, with record disabled. In ReaLearn, I have checked "Send feedback only if track armed".

So I select a track and hit my assigned button.

1) It shows me my fx so I can see the gui's
2) It disables rec arm for 76, so there is no feedback.

I do what I want with no jittering effects.

I hit the button again.

1) The gui's close
2) Feedback is back

I hope it helps a bit as a workaround. It was good for my workflow, but I know it won't suite everyone.
As for future updates on the ReaLearn itself, maybe it doesn't need to send feedback all the time, but only when a track is initially selected. So maybe no real time feedback?
I am not sure if this has come up at all anywhere else in the thread, but for anyone struggling with the jittery faders on X-Touch and other Behringer controllers I've got a similar solution to Illusionaire's but a little tidier.

I created an action that does ARM ALL TRACKS FOR RECORDING and then immediately after UNARM ALL TRACKS FOR RECORDING. I suppose you could also do the same for just the selected tracks.

Essentially now, I go to the channel I want to control, hit the button (which is close to my X-touch knobs) and it'll fetch the current state this way by toggling arm and unarm. It's one extra button, so I don't see it as much of a pain at all.

Oh, in order for this to work Realearn has to be in SEND FEEDBACK ONLY IF ARMED mode and of course TRACK MUST BE SELECTED mode under the parameter edit. No plugins need to be opened or closed.

Now that I think of it, there's got to be a way to make my arm/unarm switch action work upon selecting a channel. I will dig in to that.

EDIT:

One other way to do it is to have automatic record arm when track selected and map the button to unarm track.

Last edited by ChocolateHawkins; 08-07-2020 at 09:05 PM.
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #445
tapemelancholy

Default Track controls

Thanks for your work!
It's super cool!

I wonder if is it possible to add track controls in ReaLearn to quickly adjust some parameters and have a midi feedback? (maybe they have id numbers like sends for adding some fx parameters in track control slots, idk hah) It will be super handy.
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #446
mschnell

AFAIU, with hardware controllers, ReaLearn is for users that permanently want to freely decide which control element is to do what, while e.g. the CSI plugin is for users that want to define a dedicated complex workflow for the controllers - including Feedback - and keep this in place.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #447
FarfadetFarfelu

Hello, thank you so much for this incredible addon and for the continued developpment.

I was able to use the time feature to have different target actions depending whether it's a short press / long press on the midi controller. Fantastic.

The only thing i miss is the ability to select "Track send Mute" in the target list. I'm using the Track send volume but it does not have the same level of visual feedback in the mixer.
FarfadetFarfelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #448
Sherazad

What about motorized faders? Does anyone have experience to share? I would be interested in particular in the Behringer XTouch Compact.

Thanks!
Sherazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #449
FarfadetFarfelu

Hello again,

A few suggestions :

> An option for realearn to resend feedback for the whole list of parameters after only one parameter is changed.

> As an alternative is would be nice if the "Send feedback now" button was automatable in Reaper.

> As an other alternative, an option to group parameters so that if one parameter of the group is changed, the feedback is sent for all parameters of that group.

> More options for the feedback, like the ability to change the feedback CC value. For example, Source is on CC68 but feedback goes out on CC22.
(i understand currently it's possible to do that by adding a parameter line only sending feedback but it makes things more complicated).

Regards,
Greg
Old 08-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #450
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I am not sure if this has come up at all anywhere else in the thread, but for anyone struggling with the jittery faders ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherazad View Post
What about motorized faders? Does anyone have experience to share? I would be interested in particular in the Behringer XTouch Compact.

Thanks!
In the next version, each mapping will contain a checkbox that allows one to prevent "echo feedback". This prevents feedback from being sent back to the source if the parameter change was caused by exactly that source. In other words, whenever you move a motorized fader, ReaLearn will not attempt to control that fader. That should stop the feedback fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapemelancholy View Post
Thanks for your work!
It's super cool!

I wonder if is it possible to add track controls in ReaLearn to quickly adjust some parameters and have a midi feedback? (maybe they have id numbers like sends for adding some fx parameters in track control slots, idk hah) It will be super handy.
I'll look into that. Possibly not that difficult to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarfadetFarfelu View Post
Hello, thank you so much for this incredible addon and for the continued developpment.

I was able to use the time feature to have different target actions depending whether it's a short press / long press on the midi controller. Fantastic.

The only thing i miss is the ability to select "Track send Mute" in the target list. I'm using the Track send volume but it does not have the same level of visual feedback in the mixer.
Right, that should be added.

Quote:
Hello again,

A few suggestions :

> An option for realearn to resend feedback for the whole list of parameters after only one parameter is changed.
> As an alternative is would be nice if the "Send feedback now" button was automatable in Reaper.
> As an other alternative, an option to group parameters so that if one parameter of the group is changed, the feedback is sent for all parameters of that group.
Can you tell me more about the actual goal that you want to achieve? Making "Send feedback now" automatable would be easy to implement, but your other suggestions not. I have no clue at the moment what they could be good for.

Quote:
> More options for the feedback, like the ability to change the feedback CC value. For example, Source is on CC68 but feedback goes out on CC22.
(i understand currently it's possible to do that by adding a parameter line only sending feedback but it makes things more complicated).

Regards,
Greg
Do you have that case a lot? I thought it's an edge case, so just adding another mapping wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #451
FarfadetFarfelu

Thanks for the "feedback" haha.

To explain the situation :

I have a midi controller with leds, the leds only light up in green, or red , blinking or not blinking in a certain range of CCs and CC values.

So i send a CC110 with the midi controller and i need a CC110 and a CC20 to go back to the midi controller to control the color of the LEDs (green or red).

So i'm adding a second line with only the needed CC for the additionnal feedback for the LEDS.

I can short press and the led turns green, then longpress and the led turns orange because i'm adding red.

But for some reason, in a specific scenario when a non blinking Led is sent to the controller i need to press "send feedback now" for the correct led color to display (non blinking green + previous blinking red that gets killed by the non blinking green).

I'm guessing the longpress led color is not getting feedback when i'm using the shortpress (same switch/same led, but lights differently depending on the switch duration). That's why i was thinking of grouping those lines.

Not sure if i'm clear, it's hard to describe.
The midi controller is a KMI Softstep.

And yep, i'm using a lot of double lines.
Regards,

Last edited by FarfadetFarfelu; 08-18-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #452
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn v1.10.0-pre8.

Changes:
- #13 Added mapping option 'Prevent echo feedback' (good for motorized faders that don't like feedback while being moved)
- Improved error handling: Some possible smaller errors/misbehaviors where totally ignored in previous versions and therefore might have gone unnoticed. In this version, ReaLearn will print a bug report if it detects such a smaller error, exactly like it already did before with more serious errors. (ReaLearn follows a fail-fast approach in order to detect errors early instead of letting them introduce subtle and hard-to-analyze bugs.)
Old 08-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #453
helgoboss

Finally: ReaLearn v1.10.0

v1.11.0-pre1 is already in the works and will contain an interesting new feature: Conditional activation. But for now, enjoy the hopefully clean and stable v1.10.0 release!

Full list of changes since v1.8.0 (no changes since v1.10.0-pre8 except some user guide updates):
- #193 Added Linux support
- #152 Added target 'Selected track' for navigating within track list
- #71 Added mapping name search
- #179 Added support for non-latin characters (in mapping names and when showing track names)
- #177 Added support for using ReaLearn as monitoring FX
- #178 Added version and build information to UI
- Added possibility to quickly check what a certain knob/fader/encoder/switch actually controls, without actually changing target parameters (implemented by simply making source filter run until pressing 'Stop' and by not filtering unknown sources)
- Added feedback for target 'Track FX preset'
- Added possibility for relative mode to throttle/slow-down relative increments (the 'step count' sliders are now called 'speed', negative values represent throttling)
- Added possibility for absolute and toggle modes to distinguish between short/long button presses ('Length' slider allows you to define press durations on millisecond granularity - obviously works with momentary switches only)
- #13 Added mapping option 'Prevent echo feedback' (good for motorized faders that don't like feedback while being moved)
- Added target 'Track FX all enable' (without feedback)
- #1 Added feedback transformation for relative and toggle mode, too (because feedback is always absolute)
- #3 Added possibility to access current target value in control transformation (initial value of y)
- Added feedback reset logic when source not in use anymore (e.g. sends 'zero' feedback value if mapping removed)
- Added developer action for resolving backtraces that just contain addresses (also stripped debug symbols from Linux release artifact)
- #181 Added option to send MIDI feedback to 'FX output' instead of directly to MIDI hardware device
- Added button 'Log debug info' for printing some debug information on a terminal (not the REAPER console!)
- Improved error handling: Some possible smaller errors/misbehaviors where totally ignored in previous versions and therefore might have gone unnoticed. In this version, ReaLearn will print a bug report if it detects such a smaller error, exactly like it already did before with more serious errors. (ReaLearn follows a fail-fast approach in order to detect errors early instead of letting them introduce subtle and hard-to-analyze bugs.)
- #2 Improved toggle mode by letting Source Min/Max clamp feedback value just like in other modes
- Improved 'Log debug info' by logging to REAPER console instead of terminal
- Improved behavior when using 'Learn source filter': Also indicate if a source has been touched that is not used in any mapping (by showing an empty mapping list)
- #42 Improved UI for action target (now uses REAPER's built-in action picker)
- #182 Improved duplicate naming ('Copy of ...')
- #156 Improved UI by immediately reflecting track name changes
- #146 Improved UI by using actual arrow symbols (macOS and Windows only)
- Improved UI by having better error window if clipboard import is wrong
- Improved UI by instantly updating mapping name and all other values changed via text input field while typing
- Improved feedback by keeping it more in sync with the mapping settings (e.g. also updates while changing target range)
- Improved relative mode by giving the 'step size' / 'step count' (now 'speed') controls an overhaul
- Improved usability by not letting target fields forget their values when switching type
- Included more diagnostic information in error log messages (debug info such as line numbers)
- Made a complete rewrite in Rust programming language
- Published as open source (available on GitHub)
- #8 Fixed logic error after learning target on master track
- #9 Fixed crashes on logic errors while executing VST plug-in callbacks. Now it just reports an error message instead of aborting REAPER.
- #208 Fixed non-working 'Track must be selected' target condition
- Fixed non-moving slider when slider currently focused
- #206 Fixed some FX parameter target bugs which caused ReaLearn to error on particular values
- Fixed another possible 'ghost session' bug (ReaLearn sticking around although already unloaded)
- Fixed non-working FX parameter selection
- Fixed sometimes not working FX parameter learn
- Fixed possible missing learn/feedback notification right after startup
- Fixed possible error message when using -inf dB
- Fixed bug that caused ReaLearn instance to stay around as a ghost even if already removed. That caused surprising issues e.g. complaints about a target parameter not being found which was not used at all.
- #205 Fixed continuous MIDI feedback of automated FX parameter values, track send volume and track send pan. Now fires on real value changes only. It’s still possible that ReaLearn sends more feedback than necessary when having automation. This can happen if there are value changes but they are so small that they don’t have any effect on the feedback MIDI value (because MIDI feedback values have a very low resolution).)
- Fixed some random error messages when using FX parameter target with parameters that report step sizes
- #189 Fixed crashes when removing plug-ins
- #197 Fixed bug that caused feedback and learn not working with master track
Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 AM   #454
Sherazad

Quote:
Awesome, once again great job, thanks a lot!!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:04 AM   #455
Sherazad

Right now midi feedback is sent to the device when the status of a certain parameter/control changes. Is this correct? Is it currently possible to send a feedback to the device each time a midi message is received by ReaLearn from the interface on a certain mapping?

My use case:
Behringer x-touch compact

- Description (and what "works")
I have a few momentary led buttons (press they send 127, release they send 0)
I set up a new mapping with ReaLearn, select toggle let's say to solo a track. If i click the button (press+release) the track solo state is toggle, as expected. From what I see though, midi feedback is sent from ReaLearn to the device only when the button is pressed, and not when the button is released. This makes perfect sense to me, because that's when the target of the mapping changes its status, while on the button release the "solo state" does not change, hence no feedback is sent. All good.

- Problem (what does not work for me)
So this control surface apparently handles the led button lighting on its own, so when i release the button a midi cc with value 0 is sent to ReaLearn (and is ignored cause i have selected a toggle mapping), but the light is turned of, making it all basically useless.

- Possible workaround
If ReaLearn could send a midi feedback to the surface each time the surface send a message of the corresponding mapping I believe this situation would be solved.

I hope i made myself clear.

Thank you so much
Old 08-28-2020, 05:35 AM   #456
nofish

Impressive changelog, thank you.
Also I noticed that ReaLearn is now available via ReaPack, cool.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #457
helgoboss

Quote:
Right now midi feedback is sent to the device when the status of a certain parameter/control changes. Is this correct? Is it currently possible to send a feedback to the device each time a midi message is received by ReaLearn from the interface on a certain mapping?
This is correct. No, that's not possible currently. I didn't know that devices exist which control the LEDs themselves AND let them be controlled by feedback at the same time ... it's like taking orders from 2 superiors and you don't know which one to follow. Before I add an option to send feedback on incoming MIDI messages (to fix the controller's own "thinking"), do you think the X-Touch can be configured to not insist on controlling its own LEDs? Maybe some "Let it go" mode ?

By the way, did you try the motorized faders with your X-Touch? Do they need the "Prevent echo feedback" option to be enabled?

I guess at some point I also need to get a Behringer controller for testing.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #458
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.11.0-pre1 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #11 Added feature 'conditional activation' for (de)activating mappings based on parameter values
Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #459
Sherazad

Quote:
This is correct. No, that's not possible currently. I didn't know that devices exist which control the LEDs themselves AND let them be controlled by feedback at the same time ... it's like taking orders from 2 superiors and you don't know which one to follow. Before I add an option to send feedback on incoming MIDI messages (to fix the controller's own "thinking"), do you think the X-Touch can be configured to not insist on controlling its own LEDs? Maybe some "Let it go" mode ?
It really looks like this is not an option. I have read the manual and searched every source I could find... Last chance is Behringer support but damn me if I can reach them...

A workaround is to use the buttons in toggle mode. This way everything works as expected, if it wasn't for the fact that in toggle mode the buttons send midi data when the button is released, and not when is pressed. So for live performance it really wrecks my mind that the event occurs when i release the button and not when i press it, and especially for fast songs it would imply that i have to train my fingers to be lightning fast to release immediately the button, but this is obviously crazy...

Quote:
By the way, did you try the motorized faders with your X-Touch? Do they need the "Prevent echo feedback" option to be enabled?

I guess at some point I also need to get a Behringer controller for testing.
I have tested the surface in basically every aspect, and everything works perfectly (except the damn buttons but that's behringer's design fault). I have tested the faders with and without "prevent feedback echo" option, and they work in both situations.
I have just set all of this up, if anything comes up while I actually use it while playing I'll let you know.

Please if you need anything to be tested on this surface let me know, I'll gladly contribute.

Lastly:
The faders on the X-Touch Compact are touch sensitive, so they send a midi CC whenever they are touched... As far as I understand, this is mostly useful for some software that detects that you want to record automation when the fader is actually being touched. I kinda feel it useless, especially in reaper, but I feel like I am missing something here. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks, as always
Old 08-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #460
amagalma

Quote:
Released ReaLearn 1.11.0-pre1 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #11 Added feature 'conditional activation' for (de)activating mappings based on parameter values

Thank you very much for your great work!

A small FR: since there is not a way to undo an action, could a small confirmation window appear when removing a mapping? As it is, it is easy for someone to accidentally press the Remove button and loose a mapping. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #461
FarfadetFarfelu

Quote:
It appears i'm not alone with those feedback needs.

I was thinking maybe it would be possible in the future to add a "send feedback now" tickbox inside each mapping line. This would send the global state feedback after this mapping line has been processed.

I've been using 1.10 with no problems to report.

Last edited by FarfadetFarfelu; 08-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #462
Sherazad

Quote:
I was thinking maybe it would be possible in the future to add a "send feedback now" tickbox inside each mapping line. This would send the global state feedback after this mapping line has been processed.
Quite curious about what your scenario/surface is, since I have also been tinkering quite a lot with this stuff. Is it about the short press/long press issue above?

Is it like "long press should always light orange, short press should light green unless the button was previously long pressed, in which case it should stay orange"? Seems an interesting use case
Old 08-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #463
helgoboss

Quote:
I have a midi controller with leds, the leds only light up in green, or red , blinking or not blinking in a certain range of CCs and CC values.

So i send a CC110 with the midi controller and i need a CC110 and a CC20 to go back to the midi controller to control the color of the LEDs (green or red).

So i'm adding a second line with only the needed CC for the additionnal feedback for the LEDS.

I can short press and the led turns green, then longpress and the led turns orange because i'm adding red.

But for some reason, in a specific scenario when a non blinking Led is sent to the controller i need to press "send feedback now" for the correct led color to display (non blinking green + previous blinking red that gets killed by the non blinking green).

I'm guessing the longpress led color is not getting feedback when i'm using the shortpress (same switch/same led, but lights differently depending on the switch duration). That's why i was thinking of grouping those lines.

Not sure if i'm clear, it's hard to describe.
Could you send a (as minimal as possible) RPP file to info@helgoboss.org, along with some comments? I'm mainly interested in what ReaLearn targets you use. Because feedback is not directly influenced by incoming MIDI messages, infact it's totally separate from that. ReaLearn listens to changes of certain parameters in REAPER, such as track volume or FX parameter, and sends feedback whenever a change occurs.

Quote:
I have tested the surface in basically every aspect, and everything works perfectly (except the damn buttons but that's behringer's design fault). I have tested the faders with and without "prevent feedback echo" option, and they work in both situations.
I have just set all of this up, if anything comes up while I actually use it while playing I'll let you know.

Please if you need anything to be tested on this surface let me know, I'll gladly contribute.

Lastly:
The faders on the X-Touch Compact are touch sensitive, so they send a midi CC whenever they are touched... As far as I understand, this is mostly useful for some software that detects that you want to record automation when the fader is actually being touched. I kinda feel it useless, especially in reaper, but I feel like I am missing something here. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks, as always
Thanks for the info. I'm going to add that workaround feature, it should be easy to implement: #20.

I don't have experience with the touch sensivity feature, right now I can also not think of any benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Thank you very much for your great work!

A small FR: since there is not a way to undo an action, could a small confirmation window appear when removing a mapping? As it is, it is easy for someone to accidentally press the Remove button and loose a mapping. Thanks!

Quote:
It appears i'm not alone with those feedback needs.

I've been using 1.10 with no problems to report.
Thanks for testing. Technically it would be easy to add such a tickbox but sending feedback for all mappings just because one has changed is overkill and a potential source of performance issues, maybe resulting in user complaints if they don't understand when to use this option and when not. Let me first have a look on your RPP file and understand the real issue here. In any case, I probably would label such an option with "not recommended".
Old 08-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #464
FarfadetFarfelu

Quote:
Could you send a (as minimal as possible) RPP file to info@helgoboss.org, along with some comments? I'm mainly interested in what ReaLearn targets you use. Because feedback is not directly influenced by incoming MIDI messages, infact it's totally separate from that. ReaLearn listens to changes of certain parameters in REAPER, such as track volume or FX parameter, and sends feedback whenever a change occurs.
My targets are either Track send volumes, or a crossfade effect parameter.

I believe i have two problems, none of them related to Realearn.

> First one is described here :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241490

> Second one is probably due to the way the leds of my footcontroller work.

After reading your explanation about how the feedback works, I would not be surprised if The send all feedback thing is just needed to overcome the controller led status misshap.

But i will build an example RPP with just a minimal number of lines for you to check out. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #465
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.11.0-pre2 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #8 Added transport target with proper feedback (play/pause, play/stop, record, repeat)
- #20 Added option to send feedback after each control cycle
- #158 Improved usability by showing hierarchical folder structure in track dropdown
- #19 Improved usability by asking user for confirmation before removing a mapping
- #19 Improved usability by simplifying mapping window title
- Fixed action targets reporting wrong character, leading to wrong auto correction behavior
Old 09-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #466
ALex1973

I just donated €10,-, because you are doing great work, man! I can do real time dubbing with Reaper now and that's a very big deal to me!

I encourage others to consider a donation if the functionality of ReaLearn is a big deal to you too. Just saying...

Big thumbs up and a 10/10 to Helgoboss!!!
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80
ALex1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #467
Philbo King

Is there any way to use this to map a midi surface fader to the normally unmappable target preFX envelope?

Last edited by Philbo King; 09-04-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #468
Piszpan

ReaLearn v1.10.0:

ReaLearn on input FX, set to control a synth on the same channel. When I switch on the "FX must have focus" option, it stops working. (Of course the synth *IS* focused, "track must be selected" option is off.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? (Reaper v6.13 x64.)

Edit:
Same problem with v1.11.0-pre2.
Old version (1.1.0 from 2017) works fine.

Last edited by Piszpan; 09-06-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #469
Rosetree

Default Hello~ I can't see the screen although using the latest version of Reaper.

Hello~

I want to give Realearn a try, so tried both using Reapak to install it on my system as well as actually downloading one of the dll files available and loading it.

In both cases, I can't see the surface of the plugin.
(Please see the attached photo)

Do I need to tweak some settings in the preferences or is this a bug of any sort?

I would appreciate it if you could show me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance and have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: png Realearn's screen.PNG (22.8 KB, 201 views)
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #470
mozart999uk

I'm using realearn with LBX smart knobs with a midi fighter twister.

For some reason every boot up realearn forgets my first assignment on rotary fader number one and instead duplicates fader 15.

They both have seperate midi CC numbers

So instead of this:

https://ibb.co/NCPNmMc

I get this:

https://ibb.co/p0jxN4Y

Any ideas?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #471
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
Hello~

I want to give Realearn a try, so tried both using Reapak to install it on my system as well as actually downloading one of the dll files available and loading it.

In both cases, I can't see the surface of the plugin.
(Please see the attached photo)

Do I need to tweak some settings in the preferences or is this a bug of any sort?

I would appreciate it if you could show me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance and have a great day!
Hi,
helgoboss will probably chime in shortly, but this seems to me like a 32/64 bit version mismatch (I seem to remember seeing that ReaLearn can't run bridged, as seen in your pic.)

In short, if you're running Reaper 32 bit, you need the 32 bit version of ReaLearn (realearn-windows-i686.dll), if running Reaper 64 bit, the 64 bit version of ReaLearn (realearn-windows-x86_64.dll).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #472
Rosetree

Default Both versions not working somehow.

Hello Nofish,

Thank you for your input.

I use a 64 bit machine, so I tried the version called "realearn-windows-x86_64.dll", but no luck. I tried the other one available for Windows called "realearn-windows-i686.dll" just in case it might run, but did not work.

Maybe there is something I need to do to make it work?
Does it load like other Reaper stock plugins?

Once again, thank you for your help in this matter.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #473
Rosetree

Default It worked!

Hello Nofish once again,

I tried right-clicking the name of the plugin in the Add Fx window and chose run as "Native only", then it showed up alright.

Honestly, I don't understand why it works by selecting that mode, but it did nonetheless.

Now, onto learning how to use it well.

Thank you once again for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: png Realearn showed up.PNG (37.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #474
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Is there any way to use this to map a midi surface fader to the normally unmappable target preFX envelope?
Looks like the pre-FX stuff can't be accessed right now via REAPER API, so currently the answer is no. I'll ask Justin if there's a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piszpan View Post
ReaLearn v1.10.0:

ReaLearn on input FX, set to control a synth on the same channel. When I switch on the "FX must have focus" option, it stops working. (Of course the synth *IS* focused, "track must be selected" option is off.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? (Reaper v6.13 x64.)

Edit:
Same problem with v1.11.0-pre2.
Old version (1.1.0 from 2017) works fine.
Good catch, this is a bug. Seems to work when plug-in window is open in FX chain but not in floating window ... right? Bug will be tracked here: #24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post

For some reason every boot up realearn forgets my first assignment on rotary fader number one and instead duplicates fader 15.

So instead of this:

I get this:

Any ideas?
Please send a minimal RPP file to info@helgoboss.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hi,
helgoboss will probably chime in shortly, but this seems to me like a 32/64 bit version mismatch (I seem to remember seeing that ReaLearn can't run bridged, as seen in your pic.)

In short, if you're running Reaper 32 bit, you need the 32 bit version of ReaLearn (realearn-windows-i686.dll), if running Reaper 64 bit, the 64 bit version of ReaLearn (realearn-windows-x86_64.dll).
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
Hello Nofish once again,

I tried right-clicking the name of the plugin in the Add Fx window and chose run as "Native only", then it showed up alright.

Honestly, I don't understand why it works by selecting that mode, but it did nonetheless.

Now, onto learning how to use it well.

Thank you once again for your help!
Your solution is correct: ReaLearn must run in native mode. This is also the default - except when it's not Do you use both 32-bit and 64-bit REAPER on Windows? With ReaPack it's currently not possible right now to correctly install ReaLearn into both ... this might result in problems like the ones you have.

I should add that to the docs. Tracked at #25.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #475
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post

So instead of this:

I get this:

Any ideas?
Aaah, you are using an ancient version of ReaLearn. Then no need to send an RPP file. Just try the new version!
Old 09-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #476
Piszpan

Quote:
Good catch, this is a bug. Seems to work when plug-in window is open in FX chain but not in floating window ... right? Bug will be tracked here: #24.
If I open two FX chain editors on two tracks, ReaLearn still works when the other editor window is focused. (I will rather not use such a scenario, but this behavior is also not desiralble.)
It only follows that ticked option if I switch from one FX to another *inside the same FX chain editor*.

And to be completely clear, here is my intended use scenario:
I plan to put RL as input FX on several instrument tracks. I use the action "Focus next floating FX" to move between the synths, so RL will affect only one of them at a time.

I chose this solution, because I also have another controller (Nektar Panorama P1) which can control FX's directly, but only on *selected* tracks. So using both Panorama P1 and RL + e.g. BCR2000 I can have two independent hardware controllers at the same time, not disturbing each other. One controller for FX on selected track, one for focused FX.

Last edited by Piszpan; 09-07-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #477
Piszpan

@helgoboss

...And now for something completely different:

I have an idea for "ReaLearn Pro". Let me know what you think.

Some controllers like e.g. Behringer X-Touch Mini have both encoders and buttons. If those buttons could be used to manage parameter banks/pages, it would greatly expand the usability of both controller and ReaLearn.

It could work like this: Button 1 makes only first 8 slots (encoder mappings) active. When you press button 2, it (temporarily) disables the first 8 mappings and makes the second group of 8 mappings active (and sends feedback). Pressing button 3 deactivates all mappings except the third group of 8 parameters and so on...

This way we could have extremely fast access to 8 banks of 8 parameters = 64 parameters in total, using only 8 encoders and 8 buttons (and a $60 hardware). The general idea is of course "stolen" from Push and Maschine (and I guess CSI can also work this way).

I believe this is technically doable. I would gladly pay $20 for such a "ReaLearn Pro" version.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #478
FarfadetFarfelu

Quote:
@helgoboss

...And now for something completely different:

I have an idea for "ReaLearn Pro". Let me know what you think.

Some controllers like e.g. Behringer X-Touch Mini have both encoders and buttons. If those buttons could be used to manage parameter banks/pages, it would greatly expand the usability of both controller and ReaLearn.

It could work like this: Button 1 makes only first 8 slots (encoder mappings) active. When you press button 2, it (temporarily) disables the first 8 mappings and makes the second group of 8 mappings active (and sends feedback). Pressing button 3 deactivates all mappings except the third group of 8 parameters and so on...

This way we could have extremely fast access to 8 banks of 8 parameters = 64 parameters in total, using only 8 encoders and 8 buttons (and a $60 hardware). The general idea is of course "stolen" from Push and Maschine (and I guess CSI can also work this way).

I believe this is technically doable. I would gladly pay $20 for such a "ReaLearn Pro" version.
Hello, i do just that by using several instances of realearn as banks ( 1 realearn instance = 1 bank / layer).

And i use one additionnal instance of realean to control the activation of the different banks.

The bypassed realean dont listen to midi and dont send feedback.
Then they immediately send feedback when unbypassed.

Works nicely and easy to manage.
You can turn any simple controller into a several layer monster.

Last edited by FarfadetFarfelu; 09-07-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #479
Piszpan

Quote:
Hello, i do just that by using several instances of realearn as banks ( 1 realearn instance = 1 bank / layer).

And i use one additionnal instance of realean to control the activation of the different banks.

The bypassed realean dont listen to midi and dont send feedback.
Then they immediately send feedback when unbypassed.

Works nicely and easy to manage.
You can turn any simple controller into a several layer monster.
Great! BTW: What controller are you using?

Anyway, I think it would be much more elegant to use just 1 plugin doing this instead of 9 instances.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 PM   #480
helgoboss

Quote:
Great! BTW: What controller are you using?

Anyway, I think it would be much more elegant to use just 1 plugin doing this instead of 9 instances.
That's exactly what "Conditional activation" feature is about in ReaLearn 1.11-pre2. Check it out. It's explained in the user guide for that version which you can find on the GitHub releases page.

Hint: Map those 8 buttons to one of the (new) ReaLearn parameters so that each one sets the parameter to a different value (absolute mode, by setting target min and max to the same value value), e.g. button 1 to 0%, button 2 to 1% etc. Then for each mapping use "Active: When program selected", set "Bank" to that parameter. For each napping in one group set "Program" to the same value, e.g. 1.

Last edited by helgoboss; 09-07-2020 at 09:46 PM.