Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #1521
swindus
Human being with feelings

My specs are Debian 9, libgtk 3.22, Gnome 3.22 and I got also a segmentation fault.

And yes sometimes a menu opens and quickly moving and clicking on the menu bar will crash Reaper.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #1522
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
It's good to get some feedback on LinVst.

I've added 32 bit vst support, and there is a 32 bit vst only version and a version that autodetects and automatically runs 64 bit and 32 bit windows vst's.

32 vst's need a 32 bit WINEPREFIX https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I..._bit_system.3F

I've given up on using wine-devel on my system because of some problems and I'm using wine-stable which is, much more stable lol.

wine-devel had multiple 60 second timeouts occurring at startup which would throw LinVst into a spin, whereas wine-stable has no startup timeouts on my system.
Great, thanks for all your excellent work!

I have taken your advice and installed Wine Stable. To do that in Fedora 25:

1. Removed the default staging version that is default in Fedora:

sudo dnf remove wine

2. Install the official Wine Repo for Fedora

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/25/winehq.repo

3. Install the stable version

sudo dnf install winehq-stable

Everything seems to still be working great, and it does load faster too.

I think it's a great move to go with the stable branch! This will remove a lot of trouble tracking down errors with people using different staging/dev versions. Stable will remain the same for a year, so it's a solid platform for LinVST.

PS I think you have a typo on your release page:

"LinVst compiled on Ubuntu Studio 16.10 with Wine-stablel 2.5"

Wine Stable is at 2.0, it's the staging at 2.5
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #1523
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Great, thanks for all your excellent work!

I have taken your advice and installed Wine Stable. To do that in Fedora 25:

1. Removed the default staging version that is default in Fedora:

sudo dnf remove wine

2. Install the official Wine Repo for Fedora

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/25/winehq.repo

3. Install the stable version

sudo dnf install winehq-stable

Everything seems to still be working great, and it does load faster too.

I think it's a great move to go with the stable branch! This will remove a lot of trouble tracking down errors with people using different staging/dev versions. Stable will remain the same for a year, so it's a solid platform for LinVST.

PS I think you have a typo on your release page:

"LinVst compiled on Ubuntu Studio 16.10 with Wine-stablel 2.5"

Wine Stable is at 2.0, it's the staging at 2.5
Whoops!, all fixed.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #1524
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
I can reproduce it on Ubuntu 14.04, xfwm 4.11 and libgtk 3.10 ("segmentation fault"). What are your system specs?
I think it is caused by this commit.

First I was able to make Reaper crash immediately on opening the menu, now strangely the menu opens. But I can make it crash when I move the mouse on the menu bar, quickly creating and destroying menus.
Hoping so much it's not a Gtk 3.10 only bug...
Thanks -- I think I've fixed this.

Now to get copy/paste properly working on KDE, ugh. sigh.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #1525
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks -- I think I've fixed this.

Now to get copy/paste properly working on KDE, ugh. sigh.
Thank you!
I can confirm it's fixed and godspeed!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #1526
Justin
Administrator

copy paste on kde should now work, and drag and drop (without previews) too!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #1527
Veto

Awesome Justin! Copy/cut/paste and drag&drop is working just great!

There is one exception, the editbox when renaming a track, which copies/cuts/paste the track instead.

One thing I can't remember, is drag and drop meant to work from within the media explorer too?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #1528
swindus

Thanks! Works here again too.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #1529
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
discoDSP Bliss sampler
Any idea where I can get a license for this, the website seems to be down or under maintenance
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #1530
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
SmajjL can also use/see video on the arrange now, might have something to do with adding sudo before the command, not sure.
In general you should never use sudo unless you need to do something as root (super user). It might change permissions on files that you need, etc.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #1531
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Awesome Justin! Copy/cut/paste and drag&drop is working just great!

There is one exception, the editbox when renaming a track, which copies/cuts/paste the track instead.
Yeah, that requires a reaper update (next build)
Quote:
One thing I can't remember, is drag and drop meant to work from within the media explorer too?
This requires SWELL_InitiateDragDrop()/etc to be implemented, but I'm burned out on GDK at the moment

Last edited by Justin; 04-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #1532
SmajjL

Rrrroger that, Jack
Then I have another theory in how I managed to screw up the first time but that theory sux so i'll keep it for myself and just learn from it.
Can't wait to be a Linux super duper user.
Thanks Jack.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #1533
Veto

Quote:
Yeah, that requires a reaper update (next build)
Awesome thanks!
Quote:
This requires SWELL_InitiateDragDrop()/etc to be implemented, but I'm burned out on GDK at the moment
Ha, I know that feeling and I know nothing about GDK!
Just go easy a bit and enjoy some nice bike rides you've done amazing work already!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #1534
SmajjL

Nurse!! (Hot Blonde) take care of this guy^^ repair him will ya, he is our dev, you know, software, ah never mind, would you please.. thx.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #1535
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Can't wait to be a Linux super duper user.
Just use sudo when you want to install something, edit a system configuration file, etc. Never when just working as a user with normal programs.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #1536
SmajjL

Yes - sir! or Jack shall kick my ass! and i'll help you probably.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #1537
eric71

Quote:
copy paste on kde should now work, and drag and drop (without previews) too!
I can confirm that after a new compile of libSwell, I can now install themes in KDE Plasma 5.9.4 by dragging and dropping the ReaperThemeZip file onto REAPER. A minor thing (wasn't too hard to copy them into the .REAPER/ColorThemes folder) but still very cool. Couldn't do that a few days ago
Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #1538
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Any idea where I can get a license for this, the website seems to be down or under maintenance
Probably a family/health situation arrived, if it were server maintenance,
it would have been announced, if a server failure, the temporary message
might not be possible. Part of the site still works.

Their facebook page is also down, so we'll all have to wait and see.
Hopefully there's not a funeral to attend to.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #1539
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I'd say test completely without elastique to be sure (remove the .so file). If it crashes reaper in one mode, it's probably buggy in the other modes too.
After removing the elastique lib from the plugins folder Reaper runs very stable so far.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #1540
David Else

Final chance to have a look and give input on my epic (and massively updated) article before I finish it and publish it:

How Linux audio works vs. Windows audio in 2017

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/wp-...io-in-2017.pdf

Maybe it is too long and I should split it into parts?

I had to learn about vector graphics and SVG to make the diagrams, so I hope they are OK. Will all look fantastic online in HiDPI I hope... future proofed against your new 4k monitors

I predict there will be an explosion of people with basic questions about Linux audio when Linux Reaper comes out, this is my attempt to help people who understand windows audio to move to Linux... all part of my 2017 FUN AND FREEDOM mission! It has taken many days solid work, I hope people get something from it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #1541
Jack Winter

Quote:
Final chance to have a look and give input on my epic (and massively updated) article before I finish it and publish it:
The great news is that something called USB class compliment audio interfaces - That is USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant interface.
Manufacturers who make their devices class compliment - The same
Just plug in your class compliment audio interface - And again

Thanks for taking the time to write the article!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #1542
X2theL

Hi David,
I just read your well-written article. I think it's not lengthy at all considering the topic. If you want it to stay that way, please ignore the following ;-)

Except maybe for the typo I found: the plural of DAW is "DAWs", not "DAW's".

Also, Firefox and many other applications can talk directly to ALSA. I think I've read that even Ardour can nowadays. ALSA performs just fine on its own with low latency. It's when you need inter application routing, that's when Jack comes in.

Here comes my PulseAudio rant:

I came back to Linux last year as my frustration with Apple had grown beyond the limit of pain tolerance. I tried several Ubuntu flavours but I settled with Arch in the end, mainly for one reason: It comes without PulseAudio.

PA might work for some for general use. It did not for me. Here are a few fun things I remember:

- On my Thinkpad, no sound would work through the headphones, no matter what I tried in the PA control panel. Without PA, with just ALSA, all system sound (e.g., YouTube through Firefox) was also routed through the headphones without any configuration.

- The PA / Jack bridge consumed about 10% of my cpu cycles idle. Now, with just Jack, it's about 0.something%.

- I would constantly get strange audio artifacts. No xruns but strange hickups nonetheless.

Of course, I did all the usual "audio optimisation magic" suggested online. It didn't help PA.

My conclusion from this was: if you want to do pro audio on Linux you have to disable PA or better: purge it completely. It offered me exactly nothing but only caused problems. I think incorporating Jack into ALSA to achieve something akin to Core Audio in macos would be the most solid long term solution to the still existing audio problems on Linux. Sadly, I doubt this will ever happen.

Having written all that, I want to add that I'm generally very happy with the OS I have now. It is super stable, it doesn't try to be smart but does exactly what I tell it to do, and as soon as Reaper Linux is ready for production, I'm pretty confident that I will have a computer with a wonderful "general purpose" _and_ "pro audio" OS.

PS: Maybe I should try out the alpha version now :-)

Quote:

How Linux audio works vs. Windows audio in 2017

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/wp-...io-in-2017.pdf

Maybe it is too long and I should split it into parts?

I had to learn about vector graphics and SVG to make the diagrams, so I hope they are OK. Will all look fantastic online in HiDPI I hope... future proofed against your new 4k monitors

I predict there will be an explosion of people with basic questions about Linux audio when Linux Reaper comes out, this is my attempt to help people who understand windows audio to move to Linux... all part of my 2017 FUN AND FREEDOM mission! It has taken many days solid work, I hope people get something from it.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #1543
David Else

Thanks Jack and X2theL! I have made those corrections, cheers! Glad you like it

Regarding pulse. the only bug I ever found was on Fedora 24 that sometimes all the audio stopped, and opening the Gnome audio preferences and clicking on the audio interface made it come back again... weird! It's not done that on Fedora 25.

I would ditch Pulse if I could, but i need sound in other apps, especially Firefox.

Afraid Firefox does not work with ALSA anymore since March 17:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/f...dio-alsa-linux

I would LOVE to get Firefox outputting to Jack, then I could jam to music videos on Youtube. Seems recently it WAS built in, then out again, gets confusing:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=16567
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=783733

Maybe there is a solution I am not aware of to let other applications get routed to JACK so they can play as well as Reaper... without messing up the latency and creating mass x-runs of course.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #1544
X2theL

I read about Firefox requiring PA, too. Strangely I'm running Firefox 52.02 and I still have sound.

Firefox has been my main browser for many years now. As soon as audio stops working for me I'll switch.

This article explains how to create a loopback device to be able to route ALSA applications to Jack and vice versa:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loo...to-Jack_bridge

I haven't attempted that as I'm still using my Mac for "pro audio" ;-)

But all that doesn't help if the whole Linux world seems to be eager to make a buggy software the new standard.
*sigh*

Quote:

I would ditch Pulse if I could, but i need sound in other apps, especially Firefox.

Afraid Firefox does not work with ALSA anymore since March 17:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/f...dio-alsa-linux

Maybe there is a solution I am not aware of to let other applications get routed to JACK so they can play as well as Reaper... without messing up the latency and creating mass x-runs of course.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #1545
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2theL View Post
I read about Firefox requiring PA, too. Strangely I'm running Firefox 52.02 and I still have sound.

Firefox has been my main browser for many years now. As soon as audio stops working for me I'll switch.

This article explains how to create a loopback device to be able to route ALSA applications to Jack and vice versa:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loo...to-Jack_bridge

I haven't attempted that as I'm still using my Mac for "pro audio" ;-)

But all that doesn't help if the whole Linux world seems to be eager to make a buggy software the new standard.
*sigh*
I don't think that pulse is buggy these days, it's perfect for what it is.

That article you linked is 10 years old, and my brain started to freeze half way through reading it I am not investing that much energy to do a simple task, life is too short. There must be a simple 2017 solution to route pulseaudio or alsa into Jack?

I think pulseaudio-module-jack seems like the solution?

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...with_JACK.html

Having found that, it is going to the back of the TODO list, must do some actual work LOL
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #1546
X2theL

Quote:
I don't think that pulse is buggy these days, it's perfect for what it is.

That article you linked is 10 years old, and my brain started to freeze half way through reading it
Mine too! ;-)
Quote:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...with_JACK.html

Having found that, it is going to the back of the TODO list, must do some actual work LOL
Good luck with it. As I wrote, when I tested it about 6 months ago, I found its performance unacceptable.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #1547
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2theL View Post
Mine too! ;-)

Good luck with it. As I wrote, when I tested it about 6 months ago, I found its performance unacceptable.
I have a strange feeling Jack Winter will have the perfect solution to everything
Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #1548
biopsin

Default build issue

Hi,
Im lately hitting a error while building libSwell,
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7p2il3...x527_scrot.png
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #1549
Jack Winter

Quote:
It works pretty well and is what I use now days (have tried all the other solutions), I just connect it when I need it. Haven't looked at the code in a long time, but IIRC it doesn't implement a ring buffer which is the recommended way when connecting to jack as a client. This probably means higher dsp load for jack (similar concept to reaper's rt cpu), and possibly occasional xruns.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #1550
Jack Winter

Quote:
I have a strange feeling Jack Winter will have the perfect solution to everything
Don't I wish...!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #1551
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Hi,
Im lately hitting a error while building libSwell,
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7p2il3...x527_scrot.png
Are you using Gdk2 by any chance (GDK2=1 set on make)? There is no issue with Gdk3 afaik. The newer stuff needs to be ported to Gdk2 (maybe I'll try my best over the weekend..)

If not what system are you on?

EDIT: Hm should have read the log first.
So the problem indeed seems to be that you are compiling against Gdk2 (just remove GDK2=1 for now if you are able to compile Gdk3).
EDIT2: Double-Doh! It's all in your signature too!

Last edited by Veto; 04-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #1552
Veto

Just a re-post in case it is missed
Quote:
I played again with some small bits of swell here.

Really hope it's that easy like it seemed to be...
Especially for the last one, I'm afraid I have no clue what the return value 1 does but it seems to work.
Concerning return values I found good sources here and here but actually still need to grasp it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #1553
Justin
Administrator

Pushed gdk2 compile fixes!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #1554
David Else

My article is finally published! Please direct any Linux Audio newbies to it

How Linux Audio Works vs. Windows Audio in 2017

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/how...ows-audio-2017

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1555
Veto

Quote:
Pushed gdk2 compile fixes!
Wow that was quick. Thank you!

Quote:

Thank you, I learned a lot form your article!
You too have a great weekend!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #1556
Justin
Administrator

Pushed some more changes to swell, the Z ordering handling should be improved (though not perfect, sigh).

GDK doesn't (or more likely, KDE/Xfce/etc don't) seem to be respecting GDK_WA_X/GDK_WA_Y for the window attributes... sigh. Anybody have any ideas?

Oh also, in case you missed it, you can now select text in the edit boxes...
Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #1557
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
gcc 6.3 / libSwell GDK2
Such a recent compiler and old GDK combination...
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #1558
michael diemer

Quote:

Great article, David, and very well layed-out (easy on the eyes).
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #1559
Veto

Quote:
Pushed some more changes to swell, the Z ordering handling should be improved (though not perfect, sigh)
Thank you, Z-ordering works much better now as far as I could test.

Quote:
GDK doesn't (or more likely, KDE/Xfce/etc don't) seem to be respecting GDK_WA_X/GDK_WA_Y for the window attributes... sigh. Anybody have any ideas?
You mean newly created GdkWindows don't get positioned properly? I think this works almost always correct here on Xfce except for the top-level(?) window, the Reaper main window (on restart).
I'm 100% sure you thought about that: move the window immediately after creation. You probably even implemented that, I'm seeing a gdk_window_move_resize() in swell_manageOSwindow() but that does not work here with the main window unless I move it after gdk_window_show() is called: https://github.com/veto-gh/wdl_v/com...ca5f2036cd91b7
Maybe we could add a check for top-level(?) windows too?
Other than that I'm afraid I have no clue.

Quote:
Oh also, in case you missed it, you can now select text in the edit boxes...
I saw that, great work! Also it is themeable already, thanks!
Also loving the new application icon

EDIT: I see, the problem is also with file open/save dialogues and my suggestion makes it even worse for these lol. Let's just pretend this never happened..

Last edited by Veto; 04-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1560
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Great article, David, and very well layed-out (easy on the eyes).
Thanks!