Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
lb0
Human being with feelings

Default Prevent capturing SYSEX messages when recording MIDI

I think I know the answer to this already - but is there any setting to prevent SYSEX messages being captured when recording MIDI clips?

Filtering the messages before the track is not an option as the SYSEX messages are required (they are midi_bus related) - but I do not want them captured in the captured clips.

Basically I have a JSFX which routes midi messages to various places - the routing relies on using different midi busses - but certain messages (note on/offs etc) I'm only interested in passing thru - as they are generated by a midi controller when a fader is touched. The problem is - the touch message is generated as SYSEX due to using a midi_bus other than 1. I do not want this message recorded as it prevents feedback to the controller when one of these messages is received.

Anyway - there are ways around it - having multiple midi input tracks that receive from the same hardware - and filtering and routing separately. But this doubles the number of required record armed tracks and seems a little unnecessary - when all I really want to do is not capture SYSEX in the midi clip.

My research suggests this is not possible - I'd have to completely filter the SYSEX before it arrives at the recording track - but then these SYSEX messages don't get routed through to where they are needed.

It's for an update to my Smart Knobs script - allowing not only automation but also MIDI CC's to be recorded and provide feedback to the controller when played back.

Just thought I'd ask in case there is a way to stop capturing of the SYSEX messages.

Cheers,
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
lb0
Human being with feelings

Actually - I've worked out an alternative way to route everything - so no need for extra armed tracks - so it's all good now
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote