Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
thepedalman
Human being with feelings

Default Help choosing a vocal mic - Ahhh....!!!!

Hey all,
Just spent 2 hours in 2 big recording gear shops trying to buy a reasonable mic for vocals. I have a ADK-51 which I picked up cheap for AUS $95 and I've been using that for a couple of months. But it seems to distort on certain frequencies. Especially with singer who have some power in the voice. So I thought, no problem, I'll just go out and buy a better mic. Wrong. It's much harder than I thought. Some mics were incredibly bright (Rodes). Most of the tube mics seemed dull in comparsion and the whole process left me confused. Here's a short list of what I've tried so far:

Rodes NT-2 (very bright - lots of problems with the word "is" etc sounds like bees attacking lol)
Shure KSM32 (sounded dull in comprarison)
AKG 3000B (very midrangy)
Heil RE40 (very bassy - no tops)
MD421 (dynamic - good but lacking tops)

and about another 10 others (including a few very expensive tube mics that sounded quite good but were huge) that I can't remember the model number of. They either sounded too bright or too dull, there seemed nothing in between. Now I'm pretty much a complete newbe when it comes to mics, so I have no idea as to what I'm doing. I have enough money for one mid range priced (AUS $500-$750) that will be used mainly for male vocals and perhaps micing up my guitar amps at low volume. As I could not take them home I have no idea how they will set in the mix so any suggestions are most welcome as I'm very confused to have tried so many mics and not found a single one that I liked or could afford.

Last edited by thepedalman; 12-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.
thepedalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Alistair S

I don't think there is a short cut other than trying them.

However, I'd look at the Shure SM7B (so long as you have a pre with lots of gain). I love it. Very nice microphone, though probably at the upper end of your price range.

You can adjust the response too. Don't be put off because its a dynamic rather than a condenser.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
thepedalman

Default Found a winner

Thanks for the suggestion,
I found a winner on my mic search though it came via a round about route. I wanted to try this $1000 tube pre at the shop but they were out of stock, so they suggested I try the $200 Presonus TubePre. Well blow me down. I did like what it did to the mic tone. A little more alive, a touch fatter. Most pleasing. So I gave the Rodes another go. Still too bright above 8k. They I tried the AKG C3000B again and this time it sounded more natural than the Rodes. So I grabbed it.
So now I've got the AKG/TubePre/RNC/MOTU chain happening and my vocals have never sounded so good. Well it's a start in the right direction anyway.
thepedalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
XonXoff

It's always great when you hit the sweet spot that makes your <insert name of instrument here> sound good. It makes the whole creative process sooo much easier because you feel so much more positive about what you can hear. Glad you got it sorted.
XonXoff is offline   Reply With Quote