Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
tdc
Human being with feelings

Default Automation Writing Indication

Hi,

Is there a chance that we could have a new feature that would make the Envelopes that are currently being written be shown in a chosen colour, such as Red?

When you are in the middle of a large mix and working fast, this visual indicator on your Arrange View is of great benefit.

Thanks, tdc
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
tdc

Giving this FR a little nudge - am still finding it hard to keep track of automation write status when doing big mixes.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
beingmf

This would be indeed great – just like the color ripple editing script!
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
airon

Somehow I didn't see this. First I'll assume you know everything Reaper can already do.

Ok, where would this indicator live ?

Second, I'll assume you know most of what Reaper can do, but perhaps not this.

Using the sidecar mixer layout, keep it visible as an inspector type of view of your currently selected track. Then have all the parameters you wish to keep an eye on be visible as a parameter knob.

The easiest way to do this is via the envelope window of the track. Then those parameter knobs need to be visible on the MCP. Activate the envelopes for those parameters.

Turn on WRITE mode and hit play. The knobs will be red, indicating your parameters are latched. In the case of WRITE mode, that's everything that's activated and armed.

Set the track to something like Latch Preview. All the parameter knobs that are for parameters with activated and armed envelopes should change colour, which indicates they can be latched and written to if you want. Move those parameters. Those knobs should turn red.

Use the "actively writing" automation writing actions to write to the envelope lanes.

This all sounds complicated, but it literally takes seconds when you've practiced it.

Those parameter knobs are good indicators of which parameters are latched.

Here's a shot of what that can look like. I'm using the sidecare feature of the MCP to have a column of just the inserts, parameter knobs and sends across the whole screen.

airon is offline   Reply With Quote