Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
cdvan
Human being with feelings

Default Axiom 25 - Instrument mode?

Hi all,

I'm contemplating on buying a small Axiom 25 keyboard for portability purposes, and I'm really curious about the Axiom's "Instrument Mode" feature and its compatibility with Reaper.

What I want to do is to be able to control Kontakt and be able to switch patches without having to use the mouse. Based on what I read, the instrument mode allows you to map the Axiom's controls to the virtual instrument in your DAW... I'm wondering if this is possible with Reaper?

I'm not even sure if this is a question for the Reaper forum but if any of you guys have experience with this, I'm all ears
A 100% self-produced hiphop artist using --> MBPro (6GB RAM) | Focusrite Saffire LE | Studio Projects C1 | Reason 5 | Reaper 4 | Komplete 7 | Vir2 VI One | IK Multimedia Total Workstation 2 | Rig Urban Workstation | T-Racks 3 | iZotope Ozone 4
cdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Jimjamban

Default Axiom 25 with Reaper for the novice..

You never got an answer here, but I want to know if you bought the Axiom 25, and got it to work with Reaper. I have one on order, and don't have to pick it up if I change my mind. I paid 150 for it, and from what I could find, that is a good price. I have zero experience, but plenty of motivation. The only notes I could see regarding the M-audio Axiom 25, and Reaper, is that it does not work,or work very well.

My understanding as iit is now, is this. The Axiom needs a computer to produce sound, since midi is only a control mechanism, not an actual instrument. So with Reaper alo being a computer program, and not one that generates any midi sound, it must need an anolog audio feed from the midi system. Does this mean it would take two computers, one to produce midi sound, and one to run Reaper, as a mixer, and audio enhancement tool?

How confused am I doctor?

thanks for any, and all replies.. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvan View Post
Hi all,

I'm contemplating on buying a small Axiom 25 keyboard for portability purposes, and I'm really curious about the Axiom's "Instrument Mode" feature and its compatibility with Reaper.

What I want to do is to be able to control Kontakt and be able to switch patches without having to use the mouse. Based on what I read, the instrument mode allows you to map the Axiom's controls to the virtual instrument in your DAW... I'm wondering if this is possible with Reaper?

I'm not even sure if this is a question for the Reaper forum but if any of you guys have experience with this, I'm all ears
Jimjamban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
keys

@Jimjamban - No. You plug the Axiom into the usb (or midi) of the computer, use reaper to host software vsti plugins which produce the audio via your computer soundcard. 1 computer, 1 axiom.

@cdvan - You can program the axiom to produce various MIDI messages when you press certain buttons which you configure in reaper to control the plugins etc.
Do a search on the forum for Axiom - you'll see lots of hits.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys View Post
@cdvan - You can program the axiom to produce various MIDI messages when you press certain buttons which you configure in reaper to control the plugins etc.
Do a search on the forum for Axiom - you'll see lots of hits.
Actually the operation cdvan was asking (switch patches without having to use the mouse) is quite tricky to do in Reaper.
I have read many of those Axiom related threads and have not found a good solution.
After hours of customization of Axiom and Reaper I gave up.
I would really like to see a good solution if someone has been able to get it working.

The best workaround for me was to use ReaScripts which control Program/Bank parameters of ReaControlMIDI.
You can find those scripts here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/12139/ReaCont...ge_scripts.zip
You can assign those script actions to Axiom buttons.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Jimjamban

@jnif, your reply is right on base with what I got from reading the threads on multiple searches in these forums. I would like to know what software, besides Reaper, are people using for Midi control. I already paid for Reaper, and I like it for what it does well, but midi isn't one of them. Has anyone found any freeware, or open source midi solutions?
I already know that there are a couple of downloads I can get from MAudio to do the basics, but I'm not sure it is the only way to go.
Maybe the word Novice does not mean the same to everybody. To me it means that I know how to plug the keyboard into the computer, check that it registers properly, then open Reaper and go to the configuration to look for it. Once I get that far, I will have exhausted everything I know about midi.

Thanks to all that try to help. I assure you that I am not alone, so any detailed information will help a lot more than just me.
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Actually the operation cdvan was asking (switch patches without having to use the mouse) is quite tricky to do in Reaper.
I have read many of those Axiom related threads and have not found a good solution.
After hours of customization of Axiom and Reaper I gave up.
I would really like to see a good solution if someone has been able to get it working.

The best workaround for me was to use ReaScripts which control Program/Bank parameters of ReaControlMIDI.
You can find those scripts here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/12139/ReaCont...ge_scripts.zip
You can assign those script actions to Axiom buttons.

jnif
Jimjamban is offline   Reply With Quote