Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
TheMojopo
Human being with feelings

Default Podcast Mixing with Sound Effects Assets Window

Hi, I'm still pretty new to Reaper, but I've worked in other DAWS and Video editors, any help here is appreciated.

I have to mix a spoken word Podcast and add some sound effects and a few songs in the background occasionally. Some repeat. So it's pretty simple, and I know how to do this fast with Vegas or Final Cut, so for Reaper I have two questions:

It's 20 minutes of a person speaking, I need to know if Reaper can emulate a video DAW in assembling the add on parts, the FX and music etc. by having an "assets" window onscreen to speed things up, like the Video post production editors have.

I have post produced in Sony Vegas and they make it really simple with a screen window that holds a collection your projects sound effects, songs, whatever, and you simply drag the specific sound from this top window into any open track, you can do this repeatedly whenever you need (for instance) wind sound or car tires squealing or a certain music theme that gets repeated over the show, etc.

1. Can Reaper be configured to have this "Assets" window where I can put and find the repeated sounds, etc., the stuff needed to put into the final mix?

Using a window like that onscreen, in a Video Daw I would just glance at the list of sound files it held (FX, or music files)and I would drag from that window down into the track I was working on. It's so much faster than an audio only DAWs where adding sounds, etc., is multiple steps.

Can Reaper be configured to look like this, to do this? (Final Cut has this feature as well.)

2. Also... Is there any way for Reaper to have words running along in a audio type track so that I can keep track of the WRITTEN script (as well as the spoken narration) as I add music and FX to the audio reading, I can see the written words?

Thanks for any help here. Reaper is so cool and flexible, I'm guessing these questions have a simple answer.

TheMojopo

Last edited by TheMojopo; 03-26-2018 at 11:57 PM.
TheMojopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

You might want to try the Media Explorer window.
Create a database (right-click in the left column), then add the files you use most to it.

or if everything is already in the project folder you can click <current project> and see them there.

A second option is the Project Media Bay (in view menu), which can be used in a similar fashion. Media Explorer database is newer and better for this IMO