Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
hesnotthemessiah
Human being with feelings

Default Parameter Modulation Link - defining parameter ranges

Got a query with setting the Parameter Modulation Link's controls. I want to link the following plugin's parameters:-

Roland TR-707 Bass Drum Decay parameter (total parameter range is 0 to 255)
TBProAudio DSEQ3 MIX parameter (total parameter range is 0 to 100)

I want to link them so that:-

1)with the TR-707 Bass Drum Decay parameter at 90 the DSEQ3 MIX parameter will be 0 and
2)with the TR-707 Bass Drum Decay parameter at 135 the DSEQ3 MIX parameter will be 100

The actual details that I have given regarding the plugins and their parameter names are largely irrelevant here. This question really concerns the Parameter Modulation Link and how you link plugin parameters to a specific range.

I am using the Bass Drum Decay with various settings of between 90 and 135 throughout a track.

I want the DSEQ to have no affect (so a DSEQ MIX parameter setting of 0) when the Bass Drum Decay parameter is at 90 or less.

I want the DSEQ to have full affect affect (so a DSEQ MIX parameter setting of 100) when the Bass Drum Decay parameter is at 135 and above.

The increase in the DSEQ MIX parameter setting as I increase the Bass Drum Decay should work well in the track. But how do I set the Parameter Modulation Link's controls to achieve what I have described above? I have used the Parameter Modulation Link for many years but setting a specific range like this seems impossible. Please tell me there is a magic formula!!
hesnotthemessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

I really hate to say it, but I’m not sure it can actually be done using PM by itself. The problem is that you will need to set the Scale to something like 550%, but it doesn’t go that high. If you were linking them the other way, it could probably be done (though real precision is tough), but as is it takes a workaround. It wouldn’t take much to write a JS plugin which could do that scaling, and then it’d be pretty easy.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
hesnotthemessiah

Thanks ashcat_lt. Yes scaling and precision seem to be the issue here.

Just had a thought that I am sure I have used something, possibly a plugin or Reaper utility, where you could link plugin parameter controls, set a range for each parameter and control them all with one dial/slider. I will have to do some searching...........
hesnotthemessiah is offline   Reply With Quote