Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 09-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
mawi
Human being with feelings

Default Questions about track icon control & zero line in send area

Is there any way/hack to get control of track icons when using extended mixer mode?
I would like to hide the track icon below a certain track height.

Also, is there a way/hack to hide the zero lines in the send area?

Last edited by mawi; 09-07-2021 at 08:17 AM.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
Rednroll

Hi Mawi,
You mean something like this with the extended mixer?
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #3
mawi

Hi Rednroll, the extended mixer is the section of the MCP and Master MCP where the sends, insert FX and FX parameter buttons live. If I set the WALTER command mcp.extmixer.mode to [0] then the track icon above the insert FX is automatically placed and adjusted. If I set the mcp.extmixer.mode to [1] and I place the sends, insert FX and FX parameter buttons in the panel myself, then the track icon is no longer displayed above the insert FX, but still at the top of the mixer panel. However, this creates glitches at low track heights because you don't have access to the icon's coordinate list. That means you can only read the icon but you can't change its size and placement. As far as I understood, maybe someone can correct me.

Last edited by mawi; 09-06-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Hi Rednroll, the extended mixer is the section of the MCP and Master MCP where the sends, insert FX and FX parameter buttons live. If I set the WALTER command mcp.extmixer.mode to [0] then the track icon above the insert FX is automatically placed and adjusted. If I set the mcp.extmixer.mode to [1] and I place the sends, insert FX and FX parameter buttons in the panel myself, then the track icon is no longer displayed above the insert FX, but still at the top of the mixer panel. However, this creates glitches because you don't have access to the icon's coordinate list. That means you can only read the icon but you can't change its size and placement. As far as I understood, maybe someone can correct me.
Ahhh ok. I think I understand better now. You were speaking about the actual "track icon". Yeah, my theme has that same problem as well and I'm unsure how to adjust it also. I wasn't a fan of displaying the track icon in the MCP area so I never really looked into it further to see if there was a way to dynamically adjust the size or even adjust it at it's default MCP size/position.

I thought when you said Track icons you meant the button icons on the actual track fader section such as mute, solo, etc when you have extended mixer active. So that was the reason I posted that gif showing that particular MCP where I have mcp.extmixer.mode set to [1].

I also noticed in my theme depending on the track icon I selected some track icons are cut-off and it didn't matter if I had the MCP in extended mixer mode or not. Both modes look identical to me in that track icon display section.

I'm going to assume you already looked at trying to hide it when adjusting height using the "mcp_iconsize" Walter command?
mcp_iconsize -- size of mixer icon row, if any

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-06-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
mawi

Yes, you're right, I meant track icons, I was unclear. I have changed it in the #1 post.

Normally, I don't use track icons because you often have glitches at low track heights. I was wondering if there is any way to fix the problem.

I haven't understood yet if I can use the scalar variable "mcp_iconsize" in Walter to make the track icon disappear below a certain track height. Maybe someone here can help me if this is possible.

Last edited by mawi; 09-06-2021 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I'm not sure what the problem is, I didn't know it was possible to make the track icons do that whether by fault or design, but my instinct is you're looking in the wrong place. The two areas I suggest you look at are:
  1. mcp.size - if your design doesn't make sense at the nominal size (first two coordinates) that can be the cause of other 'overlapping' weirdness, maybe this is a bit like that. Also don't forget the second two coordinates; coordinate 4 could be your safety device against this being visible. Not a fix, but maybe a solution.
  2. mcp.bg - whether or not you are using an icon_bg image, remember that mcp.bg is the bg of EVERYTHING. The whole panel, including the (possibly there, possibly not) icon area. If you have drawn stuff on the top of mcp.bg assuming it will always be the top of the whole panel, this is where that will go wrong.

I don't ever use mcp_iconsize is, it shouldn't be necessary, but you could look at including it in a dynamic mcp.size line, so that the minimum size changed if there was a track icon, to stop the user resizing it below the height at which things went wrong.

Oh, and no, you can't hide the send zero line, though some people have done things to conceal it, with mixed results IIRC.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
mawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I'm not sure what the problem is, I didn't know it was possible to make the track icons do that whether by fault or design, but my instinct is you're looking in the wrong place. The two areas I suggest you look at are:
  1. mcp.size - if your design doesn't make sense at the nominal size (first two coordinates) that can be the cause of other 'overlapping' weirdness, maybe this is a bit like that. Also don't forget the second two coordinates; coordinate 4 could be your safety device against this being visible. Not a fix, but maybe a solution.
  2. mcp.bg - whether or not you are using an icon_bg image, remember that mcp.bg is the bg of EVERYTHING. The whole panel, including the (possibly there, possibly not) icon area. If you have drawn stuff on the top of mcp.bg assuming it will always be the top of the whole panel, this is where that will go wrong.

I don't ever use mcp_iconsize is, it shouldn't be necessary, but you could look at including it in a dynamic mcp.size line, so that the minimum size changed if there was a track icon, to stop the user resizing it below the height at which things went wrong.

Oh, and no, you can't hide the send zero line, though some people have done things to conceal it, with mixed results IIRC.
I have examined the mcp.size coordinates and could not find any change in the behavior of track icons. With tcp.size minimum size coordinates you can influence the disappearance of track icons. Unfortunately this does not work with mcp.size minimum size coordinates.

Maybe I misunderstood you but the mcp.bg command does not exist or did you mean the mcp_bg image? However, the mcp_bg image is not displayed over the mcp track icon image, but the mcp track icon has its own background image and thus will never be obscured. So you can't influence the icon behavior with that either.

How could a dynamic mcp.size line be written with the mcp_iconsize? This is not apparent to me right now.

It's a pity that I can't hide the send-zero line, this restricts the design of the send area a lot, if you don't want to see this zero line. What did some people do to hide it?
Old 09-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I didn't say my advice would change the behaviour of track icons, because it won't. Nothing will because they are auto-populated. I choose my words carefully; please read them carefully.

I have checked your theme, and it is doing what you told it to. On that layout, you have a breakpoint at 339 and your mcp_min_height is 338. The track icon takes an amount of space. It has to steal that space from somewhere, but your theme is static at that size. So it squishes it.

To fix this, you can either make your layout dynamically resize down to a lower height, or prevent it from doing so ever, or if you want to be really swanky do one or both of those things based on mcp_iconsize,