Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
CraigG58
Human being with feelings

Default Automatic adjustment of timeline markers upon BPM change

When setting up a new mix, I routinely use markers to designate verses, choruses, guitar solos, etc. before recording even begins. I’m currently working with a song that has 23 of them and needed to lower BPM from 160 to 150. Naturally, I didn’t want have to manually adjust each marker accordingly.

That said, to lower the BPM of an entire song and retain markers at their new proper positions (again, prior to recording), I’ve done the following which seems to work fine. I just wanted to ensure I’m doing it correctly, or perhaps someone can suggest a better technique (although this one is pretty simple).

1) Make a timeline selection encompassing the entire song, with a minute or so extra at the end to allow for the slower BPM (which naturally lengthens the song).

2) Set “Project Settings” > “Timebase for items/envelopes/markers” to “Beats (position only)”.

3) Enter the new BPM at the bottom of the TCP.

The markers then seem to move correctly, and as expected the master track timeline changes from 160 to 150 across the entire selected area.

4) Set “Project Settings” > “Timebase for items/envelopes/markers” back to the default of “Time”, just because I like to retain defaults where possible so I don’t forget about them later.

5) Remove the timeline selection and save the project.

Will this cause any issues, or would you handle it differently?

Thanks in advance for your time (pardon the pun)!
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote