Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default MIDI Editor Behaviour, who's interested?

* Single click on note brings up background MIDI when editing multiple MIDI items

This should be performed with a modifier imho because it's really easy to bring up a MIDI item we don't want to edit at the moment. Alt+click adds a note to current MIDI item (when clicking over a background note) but maybe we can have that behaviour for bring it up and not to insert a note.

* It seems to be that many users would love to be able to delete/remove a note with right-click when using "single click inserts/removes note", I'm one of them.

Right now we insert/remove notes with left-click. I know right-click is a common "show me a menu" behaviour of REAPER but maybe in ME it could be achieved with a modifer because you delete notes more times than you look at that menu and a single right-click is really fast.

Please, let's use this thread as an ideas collector. Maybe these are not the only ones behaviours you don't like currently.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

I'd like to see ...

- Right click delete notes. +1
- Middle button/wheel click muting for midi notes.
- Paste At Origin.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

Yay, I can't keep quiet here

I'd like to

- View all channels in the PRV but insert data for another channel but ch1 (done)

- select, copy, paste and scale in the controller lanes

- View different channels of the same controller in seperate lanes (modwheel ch1 and modwheel ch2)

- A possibility to open all used controllers in lanes (improved controller pulldown menue, with marked used and visible controllers)

- edit entries in the event list (type channel, position, length, parameter and value) directly in the list per mousedrag

- filter events per beat position

- filter similar, but not equal events (all notes C, as opposed to either C0, or C1, or c2...)

- be able to move both edges of the item loop in both directions ('loop section of item' for MIDI items and a way to lengthen a MIDI item to the left without looping)

- drag the item loop line markers through existing events (again for 'loop section of item')

- And please, I want the 'reuse editor buttons(s) back on the editor's GUI instead of only in the menue. I need an indication which mode is current, as I change this option very often. (possible now)

- I also would like a seperate autoscroll in the MIDI editor (here also an indicator on the GUI would seem important to me)

Phew, I could go on...

Last edited by gofer; 01-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Thehaxx

Please for the love of god give me the option to remove midi notes with right click!!

This is the one feature that increases my workflow 100% in FL studio.
Thehaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
SiroVai

Remove notes with right click?? YES PLEASE!!!!
SiroVai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
LiquidProj3ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
* Single click on note brings up background MIDI when editing multiple MIDI items
Totally agree. I thought that this was a bug even.

Quote:
* It seems to be that many users would love to be able to delete/remove a note with right-click when using "single click inserts/removes note", I'm one of them.
In a highly configurable host as reaper, I don't understand why they don't allow this.

+1 to both sugestion.

And another one: automation envelopes per clip.
LiquidProj3ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
LiquidProj3ct

bump bump!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiroVai View Post
Remove notes with right click
Totally agree
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
LiquidProj3ct

bump again!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
mikeroephonics

I like what has been discussed so far. Here are a few I would appreciate seeing:

1.)

In the MIDI Editor's "Color" drop-down menus, we currently have
'Velocity',
'Channel',
'Pitch' &
'Source'.

I'd like a fifth option where the note/CC colors match those of the Track Control Panel in REAPER's main view. Maybe call it "Track"? This would be useful for people that have large MIDI-based projects. I use track colors to organize my larger projects. Each instrument type has its own color pallette (red for strings, purple for clarinet, etc, etc.)It makes it very easy to navigate through a large number of tracks.

2.)

I know this is a dirty word around here, but I'd like to see some tools *gasp!* for CC lane editing such as sine, line, square, triangle and parabola shapes. I used these quite a bit with Cubase. They're handy for creating crescendos and diminuendos on MIDI volume controllers and things of that nature. Drawing these in by hand or even using a fader on a MIDI controller device can be difficult. I can't think of a non-tool way to achieve these types of shapes, so that's why I brought up the idea of tools.

- Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I like what has been discussed so far. Here are a few I would appreciate seeing:

1.)

In the MIDI Editor's "Color" drop-down menus, we currently have
'Velocity',
'Channel',
'Pitch' &
'Source'.

I'd like a fifth option where the note/CC colors match those of the Track Control Panel in REAPER's main view. Maybe call it "Track"? This would be useful for people that have large MIDI-based projects. I use track colors to organize my larger projects. Each instrument type has its own color pallette (red for strings, purple for clarinet, etc, etc.)It makes it very easy to navigate through a large number of tracks.

2.)

I know this is a dirty word around here, but I'd like to see some tools *gasp!* for CC lane editing such as sine, line, square, triangle and parabola shapes. I used these quite a bit with Cubase. They're handy for creating crescendos and diminuendos on MIDI volume controllers and things of that nature. Drawing these in by hand or even using a fader on a MIDI controller device can be difficult. I can't think of a non-tool way to achieve these types of shapes, so that's why I brought up the idea of tools.

- Mike
I agree with both fetaures: tracks colors for notes and presets for midi cc's

+1
Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Colors: track is a very good idea and would be my default. It seems the most straightforward way to distribute colors to multiple items. Considered I bothered with coloring tracks, Reaper could be so polite and respect that in the MIDI editor when I wish so.
I'd go a step further and call it 'item'. So if there is a custom color on one of the items itself, that should be used instead of the track color. Nevertheless I think it falls into the same category as mikeroephonics 'track colors'.

It would be nice if the boxes in the Filter window changed their color from 'source' to 'item' when the latter is chosen.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Mercado_Negro

gofer, that'd be my default too + 2 extra options in preferences or in ME editor menu:

*Left-click inserts notes, Right-click removes notes
*Alt+click brings up front background MIDI items and single left-click inserts note.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
semiquaver

priorities:

1 select and edit in cc lanes
2 reuse browser checkbox
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
mikeroephonics

I forgot to mention one feature I'd like to see:

FR: Allow multiple MIDI events to be selected at once using the MIDI editor filter box.

Great for when you need to transpose or move multiple MIDI events simultaneously. You can think of it like item grouping in the Arrange window.

================================================== ==================

@ Gofer: I'd like to see an option for MIDI editor colors called "Item" as well. If this mode were included in REAPER, I'd also like the MIDI filter box colors correspond to the item colors. This would make it much easier to see exactly what you are editing, and reduce the potential for mistakes.

@ Mercado: I think Alt+Left-Click is a great way to prevent bringing background MIDI items to the foreground. However, there's another way to prevent this. In Sonar, you have a button to show/hide MIDI notes per-event (we have this one in REAPER's MIDI filter box). But we don't have the one in Sonar that lets you "grey out" or block the MIDI data from moving. Pressing this button in Sonar would make the notes on that event look like grey stone (i.e. - heavy and impossible to move).

- Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
LiquidProj3ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
@ Mercado: I think Alt+Left-Click is a great way to prevent bringing background MIDI items to the foreground. However, there's another way to prevent this. In Sonar, you have a button to show/hide MIDI notes per-event (we have this one in REAPER's MIDI filter box). But we don't have the one in Sonar that lets you "grey out" or block the MIDI data from moving. Pressing this button in Sonar would make the notes on that event look like grey stone (i.e. - heavy and impossible to move).
Hey Mike, respectfully I must disagree with you. If I leftclick for draw a single note, why should I change this behaviour when I write on a BACKground note? And, most important, I think that is more frecuent and important draw notes than jump between background notes, and since a single click is easier than alt+click, it should be draw notes instead jump to background notes.

A metaphor. Think that you must press AltGr+E for write an E because when you press E you write a '€', it would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? (usually if you've an european keyboard AltGr+E = €)

Best regards
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
mikeroephonics

I should have been more specific with the Alt+Left-Click idea. What I meant was that in order to bring background items up front and active, you would press Alt+Left-Click on a MIDI note in the background item one time. Doing this would not allow an adjustment of the note; only bring it forward. Any additional left/right clicks, etc. to enter notes on this newly active item would work as usual.

The idea behind "Alt+Left-Click" on inactive MIDI items is simply to prevent moving them around when that note or item is not currently upfront/active. In this example, it would simply act like the MIDI filter does when toggling active MIDI items (the little "X" in the colored boxes).

You may still find this behavior undesirable, but that's what I had in mind. If it's implemented, perhaps it should be made optional, and off by default.

- Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
sunkingzx

all those functions above mentioned do already exsist in reaper, u just gotta hook up your nintendo controller to a midi port of your soundcard, and hit this sequence in up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a,b,select ,start and you should hear reaper make a noise telling you the code worked.
sunkingzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkingzx View Post
all those functions above mentioned do already exsist in reaper, u just gotta hook up your nintendo controller to a midi port of your soundcard, and hit this sequence in up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a,b,select ,start and you should hear reaper make a noise telling you the code worked.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #20
brainwreck

i like how left works in the midi editor at the moment.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
LiquidProj3ct

bump bump bump!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I'd like to see ...

- Right click delete notes. +1
+1
Right click (sweep-erase notes)

the mouse zone editor = best solution. (I know that you know it...,I think that we need to make it more obvious that the priority for the mouse zone editor is really suprior because it will automatically fix about 1000 requests...I suggest that we will support it with our signature...)
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
NAS

Quote:
[B]
Yep it is nice like that
Like you sya the menus are an issue but an option to disable the menus in the MIDI edit area (the grid) would negate that issue
And you can just customise the menus on the top bar of the editor to take care of anything your missing

NAS
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
+1
Right click (sweep-erase notes)

the mouse zone editor = best solution. (I know that you know it...,I think that we need to make it more obvious that the priority for the mouse zone editor is really suprior because it will automatically fix about 1000 requests...I suggest that we will support it with our signature...)
+1...............
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #25
crisis-at-music

I would like to see the following:

I hate to see when the midi editor opens one time undocked and the other time docked with a terrible zoom factor. Unfortunately these settings are stored per single midi item. The re-use function is also not helpful as I am closing the editor from time to time. (Who doesn't...?!)

It would be great to have a general override setting to force the midi editor to open undocked or docked, with a certain zoom factor at a certain window position. That would be really helpful (for me)!

Best,
Kristian
crisis-at-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis-at-music View Post
as I am closing the editor from time to time. (Who doesn't...?!)
People with 3 monitor configuration: one for arrange view, one for mixer/docker, one for fullscreen MIDI editor.

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #27
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis-at-music View Post
It would be great to have a general override setting to force the midi editor to open undocked or docked, with a certain zoom factor at a certain window position. That would be really helpful (for me)!

Best,
Kristian
That's not happening here. If I open a midi item for the first time ever and I remove it from the docker next time it will be opened in its own window as well as all following midi items, even after closing and restarting reaper.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
crisis-at-music

Quote:
That's not happening here. If I open a midi item for the first time ever and I remove it from the docker next time it will be opened in its own window as well as all following midi items, even after closing and restarting reaper.
That's right. The settings are stored with every MIDI item. But when I import a MIDI file and split it into many pieces, every small item has the midi editor docked with a unwanted zoom factor and piano roll position.
Maybe I should try to open the MIDI editor on the unsplitted data right after importing the MIDI file and BEFORE splitting. Hopefully then every splitted item has the "good" editor setting.
crisis-at-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #29
ljsviolin

Since I'm trying to do MIDI orchestration using Reaper, I find the sizing/docking issues of the MIDI editor to be difficult:

Quoting Kristian:
##
I hate to see when the midi editor opens one time undocked and the other time docked with a terrible zoom factor. ...<deleted>

##

This would be helpful for me as well. I find the first thing I have to do with practically every MIDI track (usually long orchestral parts) is push/pull the MIDI editor window and piano roll around to a useable presentation. When I'm done with one track, I get to do the same thing for the next, etc. It gets old ... -)

I can use the 'maximize window' dbl-clk for the MIDI editor and "View: Zoom out project" in the MIDI editor, which helps. I can even save any one track as a window set. But it would be helpful to be able to save a display setting for the MIDI editor and recall as needed, as well as being able to use markers to navigate in the MIDI editor.

Larry Samuels
ljsviolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #30
zappa

Quote:
Maybe the solution for keeping all camps happy is a ME toolbar button for locking to the current edit item, along with some next/back buttons for cycling through the different items?

nb. in all cases read button == action

Quote:
+1 to the above (with sweep erase too). It's also consistent with CC lane behaviour.

z.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Maybe the solution for keeping all camps happy is a ME toolbar button for locking to the current edit item, along with some next/back buttons for cycling through the different items?
Ehh... maybe not that, but this?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote