Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #81
IXix
Human being with feelings

Extended keyboard shortcuts. See sig. I live in hope.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #82
blakflag

1. Midi ghost clips
2. inline (no plugin) midi tweak tools, transpose etc.
3. unique never-gonna-happen wish: built in midi randomization tools, like percentage chance to play color accents, 'play every n bars', play one of these notes, etc. Basically super morphing midi clips.

basically MIDI, MIDI, MIDI.
blakflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #83
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post
1. Midi ghost clips
2. inline (no plugin) midi tweak tools, transpose etc.
3. unique never-gonna-happen wish: built in midi randomization tools, like percentage chance to play color accents, 'play every n bars', play one of these notes, etc. Basically super morphing midi clips.

basically MIDI, MIDI, MIDI.
I say after some of this more audio-centric, GUI-centric, and customization stuff gets done, perhaps we could get the MIDI to be just as fast and creative - it's already got a great framework.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #84
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post
You could get all that and more if this feature request gets implemented.....

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60263
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #85
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I say after some of this more audio-centric, GUI-centric, and customization stuff gets done, perhaps we could get the MIDI to be just as fast and creative - it's already got a great framework.
Excellent observation J. Get the basic stuff done first like quantize/velocity etc from arrange and then maybe move on to more difficult stuff maybe. I think (on a basic level) it shouldn't be to hard to select a midi clip in arrange and quantize all the notes within the event, even if that requires an invisible midi editor window to be opened to select the notes or something in the background, dunno.

That omission is still a little baffling to me given you can pitch midi items in arrange like that so ... +1.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #86
CMinusInGym

I'm not sure this is possible, or ever will be, but if Reaper could import other files like Pro Tools files, it would be awesome. Also, new Reaplugs would be great, especially something similar to Reatune but more like Melodyne.
CMinusInGym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #87
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Excellent observation J. Get the basic stuff done first like quantize/velocity etc from arrange and then maybe move on to more difficult stuff maybe. I think (on a basic level) it shouldn't be to hard to select a midi clip in arrange and quantize all the notes within the event.

YEP..I would be a happy camper if Reaper 4 had this...basically the first feature mentioned in the original post...Global Quantize (select a midi clip in arrange and quantize, offset, swing etc... all the notes within the event)
Thats it exactly!!

Last edited by Astro; 12-21-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #88
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Yep...Whereas Reaper is amazing in terms of customization and a lot of Audio stuff too...and although I am sure the framework for midi is great, its still somewhat primitive and long winded.
As mentioned several times in this thread its accessibility to edit midi directly from the main arrange page without adding plug ins or going to the midi editor etc etc......seems to be one the main areas that Reaper is lagging behind IMHO.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #89
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post

All you MIDI people should see this. It really is an amazing suggestion. It covers so much of what we are all asking for with a single FR.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #90
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
All you MIDI people should see this. It really is an amazing suggestion. It covers so much of what we are all asking for with a single FR.
I read it, maybe I just dont get it or something, it seems like more of a midi versatility thing available thru a plug in or in the midi editor, not native in the main arrange page.
I probably am getting this wrong but what I read just did not connect at all, what many here are asking is a simple native Quantize, offset, groove function in plain view in the main arrange page and you select a track or several tracks and it applies to the midi events within that midi track without even having to open the selected track or tracks.
This is very quick and very efficient and totally useful when you are arranging on the fly.
I actually read that FR again (3rd time), it said "selected midi events in the editor".
I am sure its a good suggestion, but we are not talking about an editor or JS plug ins, this is a bread and butter feature thats directly available natively in the main arrange page, no plug ins, no editor, generally you use an editor for fine tuning things after the fact or entering things with tools or the mouse.
The Global Quantize thing is fast, very fast when you are composing.
I hate to say this cause some may jump on me. But both Logic and Cubase have had this function for decades actually, and its a very proven feature and Reaper does not have it?
Cheers
Astro

Last edited by Astro; 12-21-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #91
musicroom

An improved fx browser. One that lets me rearrange plugins in folders and save those arrangements. I still love the current fx search bar! That rocks.

_
Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #92
summer2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
An improved fx browser. One that lets me rearrange plugins in folders and save those arrangements. I still love the current fx search bar! That rocks.
_
...with folder in folder options! Also it should be dockable to the left or right of the TCP. This is a much needed function in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #93
ivansc

To further comment on what Astro said earlier about global editing, it would be SO useful if sections of groups of tracks could be selected from the arrange page and then collectively acted upon.

In particular, the ability to grab all the tracks, or a selected group of the tracks, over either one or many whole bars, or ideally PART of a whole bar and then apply operations such as (but not limited to) quantise would for me put Reaper in another league.

Sometimes it is really difficult to express what is wanted in terms that others will "get" so I hope nobody else already covered this.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #94
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I actually read that FR again (3rd time), it said "selected midi events in the editor".
Maybe it's the wrong terminology I used together with my plain presentation style, but doing stuff from the project/arrange window was part of it....
Quote:
The feature request is:

Having the ability to process selected MIDI events in the editor, or time selection or all events if none are selected, with JS plugins. Also, processing MIDI item(s) with JS plugins from the project window could be done.
Although the thing is about processing with JS plugins, whatever source code is doing the processing (in this case JS instead of C++) could be transparent (in some or all cases) or not depending on the implementation of the FR.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 AM   #95
synth

This:

Quote:
- Ability to place the transport panel on top (as seen in ProTools / FL Studio)

- VU meters with adjustable width (freely resizeable meters)

- Multiple dockers

- Total project length displayed in the transport panel

- 'Record' button in the MIDI editor

- Ghost notes in the MIDI editor and ghost items in the arrange view

- Freehand MIDI CC drawing

- bar/beat shading in the MIDI editor

- Rounded notes (with thicker outlines) in the piano roll

- MIDI processing tools (invert / flip / scale notes, etc.)

- PiPs / ReaParts
...and more bugfixes

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 12-22-2010 at 11:55 AM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #96
sightlessness

A Channel strip for each track (I know you can have your own pre set combo of fx for a default new track or as alwasy, have a different combo for each track).

But I mean A LA Sonar X1, you know, select a track, and a Channel Strip is
shown to you for that track. I think that is VERY convinient.

It would be nice if I selected a track and all the fx I am using for that track appeared as a channel strip appeared, but since each one of those has a different gui (in size/proportion specially) they wouldn't fit as a channel,

But MAYBE if said fx showed instead their original GUI, a basic GUI (like no GUI at all, A LA ReaFx) maybe that could work as a channel strip?

For example, you could have ReaComp, ReaEQ, ReaGate, etc, as a channel strip. (This time, you could make a TUBE/DIST warmer A LA Sonar X1, called REATube or something)

Food for thought...
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #97
fuseburn

Well, at the risk of repeating myself, but: Edit grouuups !

Keep it coming: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=70642
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #98
jedstar2000

1 Automation items

2 Revamp of reapers fx routing and modulations to something like this
http://www.vstforx.de/index.php
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #99
ThePriest

This feature -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50997 : the info bar should display the value of last tweaked parameter.
ThePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #100
Bernstraw

Default mousewheel = expand/collapse floating windows

When running on Linux, the mousewheel can be used on the titlebars to expand/collapse floating windows :

[IMG]http://img192.**************/img192/7866/33969163.gif[/IMG]

This is really great when you want to access a lot of windows (FX, routing, explorer...) very fast.
I would love to see this available in windows too (though I understand it's more of an os feature but maybe it's possible...)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #101
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2000 View Post
...with folder in folder options! Also it should be dockable to the left or right of the TCP. This is a much needed function in my opinion.
I would also like to be prompted for duplicates and have the option to include / keep. Also, once a plug has been identified as not available for reaper - be able to remove/exclude forever.

What if a separate window opened up for configuring similar to sonar's plugin manager. BUT BUT BUT with at least on major change - When you drag a plugin to a user folder it is tagged to note that you have touched/moved that plugin for organization... That always frustrates me using sonar's method. I lose track of whether or not I've put a plugin in an customized folder. So it is a lot of back and forth.

I obviously have not spent too much time coming up with the perfect solutions. But I would appreciate the dev team putting their thoughts around improving the fx browser. Would be a biggie here.

_
Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #102
musicroom

I am hoping a better method of track freezing is in the works.

I am also hopeful that we keep building upon the new track comping options. Like what I'm seeing so far.

In item properties, I would like to have a window for spectrum analysis / editing.

I would also like to be able to assign an action to switch to a particular theme (could be based on number/ranking).

Would like a pop out window for quickly making precise minor audio edits. Not a biggie, can do most of this in Reaper already and I have SF. But workflow wise - I do a lot of audio item editing. Just saying.

_
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #103
Phisk

native vca faders
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #104
Funkybot

I had a Reaper 1&2 license which I let that slip with version 3 (stuck to Sonar, which I'd been using since version 1), but now I'm using the version 4 Alphas to try and help me decide whether I should commit to Reaper or learn a new host as I'm definitely not interested in where Sonar is headed. I'd consider myself an advanced Sonar user and someone who's trying to get the hang of Reaper so that said, here's my list:

1. Real Freeze/Unfreeze
2. Groove Quantize (more MIDI options in general)
3. Edit Groups
4. Effect bins on the track pane
5. The ability to enable/disable effects with one click from MCP (& hopefully in the future TCP pages)
6. Audio Snap/Warping/Whatever
7. Named Inputs and Outputs on the mixer channels rather than just an I/O button
8. OMF Import/Export
9. Oversample Effects on Project Render (I'm surprised no host has done this yet. It would make the renders take longer, but who cares as long as the oversampling implementation sounds good.)
10. Generally improved MIDI
11. Notation view
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #105
dadek

Need a grid that works in min-sec, foot-frame, as well as bars-beats. ....and everything else mentioned.
dadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #106
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I read it, maybe I just dont get it or something, it seems like more of a midi versatility thing available thru a plug in or in the midi editor, not native in the main arrange page.
I probably am getting this wrong but what I read just did not connect at all, what many here are asking is a simple native Quantize, offset, groove function in plain view in the main arrange page and you select a track or several tracks and it applies to the midi events within that midi track without even having to open the selected track or tracks.
This is very quick and very efficient and totally useful when you are arranging on the fly.
I am sure its a good suggestion, but we are not talking about an editor or JS plug ins, this is a bread and butter feature thats directly available natively in the main arrange page, no plug ins, no editor, generally you use an editor for fine tuning things after the fact or entering things with tools or the mouse.
The Global Quantize thing is fast, very fast when you are composing.
I hate to say this cause some may jump on me. But both Logic and Cubase have had this function for decades actually, and its a very proven feature and Reaper does not have it?
Cheers
Astro

You're absolutely right Astro. My bad. Sorry about the blanket statement. I could have sworn there was some mention in the link I put about having that function in the TCP as well, which would have been a lot like Cubase's MIDI track Inspector. Which still wouldn't have dealt with global quantize but might have helped with some of the other issues. I must have mixed this post with something else I was reading. Still though, the link I put would make the Piano Roll editor much more functional, which a lot of other people are asking about.

Chris
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #107
blakflag

Quote:

Definitely.. I think the only additional thing I'd like to see is the ability to attach arbitrary metadata to the midi event in the editor.. and then refer to that metadata by name in JS script. Then you've unlocked the ultimate potential for post-processing midi clips.
blakflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #108
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
You're absolutely right Astro. My bad. Sorry about the blanket statement. I could have sworn there was some mention in the link I put about having that function in the TCP as well, which would have been a lot like Cubase's MIDI track Inspector. Which still wouldn't have dealt with global quantize but might have helped with some of the other issues. I must have mixed this post with something else I was reading. Still though, the link I put would make the Piano Roll editor much more functional, which a lot of other people are asking about.

Chris
Err, there was a mention in the FR and I quoted it a few posts up with the words in italics.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #109
chriscomfort

Quote:
Err, there was a mention in the FR and I quoted it a few posts up with the words in italics.
Alright. So I wasn't totally off. Either way, its an excellent FR. Thanks again Cavey.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #110
fuseburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
5. The ability to enable/disable effects with one click from MCP (& hopefully in the future TCP pages)
9. Oversample Effects on Project Render (I'm surprised no host has done this yet. It would make the renders take longer, but who cares as long as the oversampling implementation sounds good.)
You can disable FX with one shift-click...with WALTER even on TCP and MCP, but on the MCP since v2.
Oversampling effects while rendering is also already implemented. Just set your projects SR to a higher one before rendering and choose the final Samplerate where the result should be downsampled to, there you go.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #111
turbo

To be honest, I currently do not know what R4 will bring to me.

I mostly work with MIDI and VSTi so basically I would have expected much more MIDI features (ghost items, midi transformation tools) and a basic Notation editor.

I do not deny that R4 might be a "revolution" (great marketting word these days) for other people though: WALTER seems a great work and a great asset for the future. However, it is just not my current preocupation... but I'm not sure I'm qualified to evaluate how R4 is powerful.
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #112
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post

_
Me too for the fx browser
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #113
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

- Elastic audio / warp markers !
- right click anywhere (on a volume fader, for instance) = midi learn.
- allow an external trigger to be used as a master clock.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #114
Sumalc

Direct asio monitoring, we need it please.
More surfaces control
PQ encoding
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #115
shakey.oberon

paintable groove quantise, Acid style
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #116
shakey.oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
Oversampling effects while rendering is also already implemented. Just set your projects SR to a higher one before rendering and choose the final Samplerate where the result should be downsampled to, there you go.
would be cool to have this in the render window though, for quick access
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #117
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1. Real Freeze/Unfreeze
+1

also:

better project folder management (ie, separate folders for peaks, bak, audio files)
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #118
clickonce

I was hoping for something like Ableton's session view... or Sony's matrix view.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #119
Astro

Default Features

There are some great suggestions here in this thread.
It does seem tho, that most users overwhelmingly want more midi based features, global quantize, edit groups etc...etc......along with proper freeze functions and a few other features.
Have to say I agree too.
Hopefully we will see some of this in V4.
Cheers
Astro
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #120
aMUSEd

Why does the midi editor still use a bars based approach when for automation you get nice smooth bezier envelopes? Maybe that could be changed for v4?
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote