Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
bharris
Human being with feelings

Default Orange Amps in Amplitube?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried or purchased the Orange amps in the Amplitube Custom Shop? I bought the ThunderVerb 200 and think it's really good - very versatile. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the RockerVerb 50 offered in the Custom Shop? Does anyone have both, and if so, can you explain a little about the different situations in which you would use one or the other? Are they different enough that it would be worthwhile to have both? From what I can tell the RockerVerb is identical to one of the two channels in the ThunderVerb, but I can be mistaken.

Thanks!

PS - I asked these questions on the IK Multimedia forum, as well, but that one is a lot less active than the Reaper forum .
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
copacetic

No idea, but I'm wondering what's stopping you from just trying the amp yourself?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
bharris

Nothing stopping me - just trying to understand what the supposed difference is between the two models.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
stratman

I've only got the Tiny Terror from the Orange amps so far, which I like a lot.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 08-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
bharris

Thanks, Pete. I'm definitely interested in getting another Orange amp since I enjoy the ThunderVerb so much. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the RockerVerb would offer that the ThunderVerb does not. Looks like the Tiny Terror is another animal entirely.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I've only got the Tiny Terror from the Orange amps so far, which I like a lot.

Pete
Does it sound anything like the original 'hardware' version?? That's a little 'screamer'!!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Does it sound anything like the original 'hardware' version?? That's a little 'screamer'!!

I don't know because I don't own a real one to compare it with, but I really like the sound of the Amplitube Tiny Terror VST, which has that middly woody warmth.

I got the Amplitube Tiny Terror VST, because I'd heard the real thing give a fanastic rock sound on a live gig when the guitarist in a support band was using one.

Then I heard the real thing recorded in a post by Scottedog (and also a post by Butane Prophet, I think) on this forum, where it also sounded amazing.

So I decided to try a virtual version.

Here's a clip, with an Amplitude D-comp in front of it, an Amplitube digital reverb and ReaEQ to tweak things a bit.

http://www.box.net/shared/qf3rtil3g65hnk2mdlh6

Pete
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
bluzkat

Pete,

Nice clip, is that your Strat? (what pickups?)

I ran across one when a guy showed up at a jam with one, sounds like the VST version has the same 'balls'... it sings.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
stratman

Quote:

... is that your Strat? (what pickups?)
It's the stock bridge position humbucker in my HSS American Standard Strat.

Pete
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
carbon

I tried them, liked the Rockerverb more.
So, I'll skip the Thunderverb.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #11
bluzkat

Quote:
It's the stock bridge position humbucker in my HSS American Standard Strat.

Pete
Thanks for the info. My Strat (also an Am Std) is a SSS configuration. I'll see how that sounds. If all else fails I've got a Tele with humbuckers.

I'm going to check out (demo) the Orange stuff later today.

Have you tried that Soldano amp?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #12
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried or purchased the Orange amps in the Amplitube Custom Shop? I bought the ThunderVerb 200 and think it's really good - very versatile. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the RockerVerb 50 offered in the Custom Shop? Does anyone have both, and if so, can you explain a little about the different situations in which you would use one or the other? Are they different enough that it would be worthwhile to have both? From what I can tell the RockerVerb is identical to one of the two channels in the ThunderVerb, but I can be mistaken.

Thanks!

PS - I asked these questions on the IK Multimedia forum, as well, but that one is a lot less active than the Reaper forum .
Just like like the real amps, I think the Rockerverb has more dynamics and its sound is more open and less compressed than the Thunderverb. The Thunderverb, the real thing, is a monster with enough clean/low crunch headroom to make you bald and deaf but when it comes to crunch and distortion I think the Rockerverb 50 smokes it. Getting the same open crunch from the Thunderverb than the Rockerverb, will require some db that will knock your skin off your bones. Ik somehow managed to capture this difference in their modelling.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
vassago

The Ik Soldano is just that, an affordable Soldano, which like the real thing is a one trick poney BUT A DAMNED GOOD ONE if the SLO distortion is your cup of tea! Having played a Soldano a few years back, my memory tells me that the IK model is a bit off in term of sound and dynamics, the real thing seemed a lot more "in your face", but then again I am comparing a SLO through a 4x12 vs a plugin through monitors...not exactly a fair comparison, but the SLO vibe is definitely there in the IK version.

but pricewise it's hard to go wrong with the IK model vs the real thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
analogexplosions

I once owned a Rockerverb 50...

sold it.

It just doesn't have the guts that most other Oranges do. The Thunderverb is really good if you're into balls to the wall "Stoner Metal" type stuff or something "Doom-y". I've found in most cases still, the old Orange OR series (OR-80, OR-120) had some real balls to them and are even better suited for this type stuff than even these new models that are supposed to be meant for that kind of thing.

All that being said, I haven't tried the IK Custom shop versions. They've done a really good job on everything else i've tried. The Orange OR type that has been included with Amplitube 3 for a while does the job for me when I have an "Orange" sound in my head.
analogexplosions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
bharris

Thank you everyone, as usual, for your informed opinions! As I expected, the collective knowledge and wisdom of the Reaper forum gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I bought the Soldano too, but haven't really had a chance yet to put it through its paces. The way I figure it, even if it's not an exact replicate of the hardware version, neither is the price . Close is good enough for me in this case.

PS - nice tone, Pete. Now you've got me thinking about the Tiny Terror, too.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
stratman

Quote:

Have you tried that Soldano amp?
I like the Soldano as well.

As a complete coincidence, I was using the Amplitube Soldano last night

A work colleague asked if I could help him to learn the solo from Seize The Day (Avenged Sevenfold), so I quickly bashed out a backing track and recorded my copy of the solo, to check it sounded roughly correct.

I used the Soldano for the rhythm and lead (rough clip below).

http://www.box.net/shared/8lxtxj00bbvq3zuqzaii

Pete
Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
bluzkat

Thanks for the Soldano clip, I'll have to give it a try.

I bought the Tiny Terror earlier today after playing around with it for a couple of hours. I also got the Fender Princeton, I've always been a Fender guy (since 1965, dayum! ).

I sure enjoy playing around with all these amp sims!!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
kachaloo2002

what do you guys think of the amplitube stock amps? I'm really quite impressed with both. They got me for the soldano, which I kinda like for real saturated blues rock lead and my buddy likes for blow yr head off Crazy Horse kinda rhythm distortion. I really like the ampeg bass head emulation == seems to work just as well with a stock cab as with the matched one. Fun stuff. Might have to get a humbucker in the bridge position of my strat one of these days, tho, to more fully take advantage of some of the heavier sounding amps. They sound a little thin with single coils, which you'd expect anyway I guess.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #19
bharris

I agree - I have been impressed with the stock amps, too. I plan to buy the full version soon even though I already have Guitar Rig 4, Revalver III and Pod Farm 2. I guess it was a wise decision to give away a few models as Amplitube Free!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachaloo2002 View Post
...I really like the ampeg bass head emulation...
I like the Ampeg SVT CL with SVT 810E cab, which is now my first choice to quickly get a bass sound I like without loads of tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
...I already have Guitar Rig 4, Revalver III and Pod Farm 2. I guess it was a wise decision to give away a few models as Amplitube Free!
Same here. They're all capable of good sounds, but I'm able to get the sound I'm looking for quicker using the Amplitube 3 amps. In order of preference it's now:-
Amplitube 3 - based on the amps I've got, which includes the Fender Amp set, the Hendrix set and various custom amp purchases.
Guitar Rig 4
Revalver III - I occassionally find it a bit buggy on my computer. I'm not getting III.5 because I'm annoyed about the cost of the upgrade
Podfarm 2 - It's got some good effects. I like the fact that they're usable as separate items and it's got my favourite guitar tuner.

By the time I finish buying the Amplitube amps, I probably would have been better off buying the whole lot from the start. It would be nice if IK offered an upgrade to the full version, with a discount based on the number of amps already purchased.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 08-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #21
bluzkat

You guys are in my head!!

This is exactly what I was thinking last night... maybe I should by Amp3. I've had Amp Fender for awhile and love it (go figure). I've got the above mentioned commercial sims plus a couple more.

I picked up the Ampeg stuff a few weeks ago, I had been wanting it for quite a while. The price finally came down and I had a few JamPoints, so that worked of well.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
flmason

Quote:
I don't know because I don't own a real one to compare it with, but I really like the sound of the Amplitube Tiny Terror VST, which has that middly woody warmth.

I got the Amplitube Tiny Terror VST, because I'd heard the real thing give a fanastic rock sound on a live gig when the guitarist in a support band was using one.

Then I heard the real thing recorded in a post by Scottedog (and also a post by Butane Prophet, I think) on this forum, where it also sounded amazing.

So I decided to try a virtual version.

Here's a clip, with an Amplitude D-comp in front of it, an Amplitube digital reverb and ReaEQ to tweak things a bit.

Pete
Hmmm... much nicer reverb than I'm getting from the Line 6 stuff, for sure.
flmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
flmason

Quote:
I like the Soldano as well.

As a complete coincidence, I was using the Amplitube Soldano last night

A work colleague asked if I could help him to learn the solo from Seize The Day (Avenged Sevenfold), so I quickly bashed out a backing track and recorded my copy of the solo, to check it sounded roughly correct.

I used the Soldano for the rhythm and lead (rough clip below).

http://www.box.net/shared/8lxtxj00bbvq3zuqzaii

Pete
Hmm... again, more "real" sounding that the L6 stuff...
flmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #24
ButaneProphet

Quote:

Pete
Hey that sounds very convincing. I have Amplitube 3 and I always thought the Oranges that came with it (I think the preset is called citrus) sounded stellar.