Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Updated Faderport Support (Faderport XT)

EDIT 12/30/15: If you are on Mac and/or want a few new features which I have not added for either OS, please see the following thread where The_Nimaj has added both Mac/PC support and some of the additional features asked for in this thread. I see no reason not to consider his current build the latest and greatest.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

Now if we could just talk Cockos into moving this into the product officially it would save all these special instructions. wink, hint, nudge.

------------------------

Based on yhertogh's previous additions (thanks!) I have added additional Reaper support for Faderport. Here are all the features including what yhertogh already had... Ability to assign custom actions to the following buttons:

MIX, PROJ, TRNS, PUNCH, USER, LOOP, FOOTSWTICH, SHIFT+FOOTSWITCH
SHIFT+MIX, SHIFT+PROJ, SHIFT+TRNS, SHIFT+PUNCH, SHIFT+USER, SHIFT+LOOP

If you create your own custom actions which is a chain of other actions you can run complicated macros with a button etc.

Other features

Auto Scroll, Shift Latch, MCP View, Select Last Touched. See this thread for more information.

Installation

1. Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll and reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to \Reaper\Plugins and delete the existing reaper_csurf.dll.
2. In reaper go to Options > Preferences > Control Surfaces
3. Highlight and remove the existing PreSonus FaderPort Control Surface in the list (if you already had Faderport installed previously).
4. Click Add and choose "Presonus FaderPort XT" from the list. If this exact choice isn't in the list, make sure the dll is in the \reaper\plugins directory and Reaper has been restarted!
5. Choose FaderPort for both the MIDI Input and MIDI Output and click OK twice.
6. The XT version of FaderPort is now ready to use.

Customization

All customizations are in the INI file (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini) here are the defaults but the entire point is that you can make them do what works best for you:

==============================================
MCP_VIEW=1 (default=1, enabled, Autoscroll works)
SHIFT_LATCH=1 (default=1, enabled, shift latch works)
AUTO_SCROLL=1 (default=0 disabled, if you press next channel on faderport it may fall onto a hidden track)
SELECT_IS_TOUCHED=1 (default=1 enabled, when creating a new track, make the new track also the 'last touched track')

ACTION_PUNCH=40222 (set start point)
ACTION_PUNCH_SHIFT=40172 (Go to previous marker/project start)
ACTION_USER=40157 (insert marker at current position)
ACTION_USER_SHIFT=40173 (Go to next marker/project end)
ACTION_LOOP=1068 (toggle repeat)
ACTION_LOOP_SHIFT=40915 (set end point)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH=40073 (play/pause)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH_SHIFT=1013(record)
ACTION_MIX=40078 (toggle mixer visible)
ACTION_MIX_SHIFT=41077 (toggle show all floating windows except mixer)
ACTION_PROJECT=40861 (go to next project tab - cycle)
ACTION_PROJECT_SHIFT=40295 (zoom out project)
ACTION_TRANS=40259 (toggle transport visible)
ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT=1134 (tap tempo)
==============================================

To customize just grab the action ID you need from reaper and change it in the INI file for the button you wish to customize. If the action IDs are not visible in the actions list in Reaper, be sure to right-click anywhere in the actions window and choose "Show action IDs". Find your action, its corresponding ID, change it in the ini file, save it, restart Reaper.

5.10.13: This is no longer considered alpha/beta and all links in this thread point to the release version

For now it can be downloaded below. Both x86 and x64 versions are included in the same .zip file. Be sure that you extract the correct 32bit/64bit version that matches your version of Reaper. I'll check back and fix whatever is busted tomorrow evening.

DOWNLOAD: FaderPortXT.zip

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
spikemullings

Brilliant! Got to go to stoopit work now then got a stoopit meeting after work. Really looking forward to giving this a go when I can.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
karbomusic

Thought I'd bump at least once in the event any other FP users want to give it a test spin.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

I haven't got one myself but I commend you!

Have a friend who does, will let him know!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
d.bop

AWESOME!

I can't test it out until this weekend, but... FOOTSWITCH SUPPORT!

Thank you, my new best friend
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
AWESOME!

I can't test it out until this weekend, but... FOOTSWITCH SUPPORT!

Thank you, my new best friend

In hindsight, I probably need to add shift support to the footswitch which I haven't done yet. I didn't think that was useful at first but with the ability to latch the shift button, it becomes more useful to have the footswitch perform different functions via shift such as changing to record instead of play when shift is latched. Might add that in the next day or so.

EDIT: Forget the above, I just added shift+footswitch. I also updated the first post and download accordingly.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Thuneau

First of all, big Thanks for taking time to do this and sharing it with us.
I tried this version for both 64 and 32 bit Reaper, but it doesn't work as well as the previous version I used, (which was the one with shift latch support v2.2).
Latch doesn't work, neither do mix, proj and trns buttons. Regular transport works OK. I left the ini file untouched in both installs of Reaper.
I'm not on the latest firmware- I downgraded to 1.2 because the latest firmware broke my Faderport with Reaper.
Which firmware are you on? Are the button actions only in the later firmware?
Do I maybe need some sort of C++ redistributable to run this dll?
Thuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuneau View Post
First of all, big Thanks for taking time to do this and sharing it with us.
I tried this version for both 64 and 32 bit Reaper, but it doesn't work as well as the previous version I used, (which was the one with shift latch support v2.2).
Latch doesn't work, neither do mix, proj and trns buttons. Regular transport works OK. I left the ini file untouched in both installs of Reaper.
I'm not on the latest firmware- I downgraded to 1.2 because the latest firmware broke my Faderport with Reaper.
Which firmware are you on? Are the button actions only in the later firmware?
Do I maybe need some sort of C++ redistributable to run this dll?
Hi Thuneau,

I migrated the code from the previous shift latch support version but based on the symptoms above I'd think more might be going on here. Do you get the same behavior above in both 32 and 64 bit? Secondly, how many versions of any of the faderport dlls to you have in the plugins folder? Just to confirm the correct one is actually being loaded instead of the original. (that happened to me a few times while testing).

I'll have to check on the firmware. You can run dbgview.exe, then start reaper after dbgview is running, hit a few faderport buttons. Save and post the output. If I can find away to test on 64bit this weekend I'll confirm on it as well.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Renan L.B

I'm kinda desperate for a controller like the Faderport.. i was going for the Alphatrack previously but now it's been discontinued so the Faderport is my only option now.. but there's one thing putting me off: Isn't there really any way to make the fader able to write plugin parameters automation on REAPER?

I want this so bad i'm almost willing to pay someone to get the job done ahahaha omgd.

I saw recently a video on youtube from someone who managed to make this function available for Renoise.. i think the person wrote a custom driver for Faderport i'm not sure but it was possible then to control/write plugin parameters with the fader.

Any clues if this is possible? Is it a Faderport limitation or a REAPER limitation? thanks!

Last edited by Renan L.B; 11-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Renan L.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Thuneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Hi Thuneau,

I migrated the code from the previous shift latch support version but based on the symptoms above I'd think more might be going on here. Do you get the same behavior above in both 32 and 64 bit? Secondly, how many versions of any of the faderport dlls to you have in the plugins folder? Just to confirm the correct one is actually being loaded instead of the original. (that happened to me a few times while testing).

I'll have to check on the firmware. You can run dbgview.exe, then start reaper after dbgview is running, hit a few faderport buttons. Save and post the output. If I can find away to test on 64bit this weekend I'll confirm on it as well.
Success! I removed the Faderport driver that comes with Reaper and redid the assignment and it started to work as expected. I can open and close Mixer window, drop markers etc from Faderport. This is in 32 bit version. I have not played with 64 bit version yet, but I suspect it will work just the same.
Thanks again, now between my Faderport and the Shuttle Contour Pro I can navigate and work Reaper very efficiently with less mousing.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
spikemullings

OK struggling so far. Probably me doing something wrong - keeping going at it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Thuneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemullings View Post
OK struggling so far. Probably me doing something wrong - keeping going at it.
Go to Program Files/Reaper/Plugins (or corresponding directory depending on which OS and which version of Reaper you are running) and move the existing reaper_csurf.dll to a different location or delete it altogether. Then take the newly downloaded driver and follow the instructions from the original post. It should work OK- it did for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Go to Program Files/Reaper/Plugins (or corresponding directory depending on which OS and which version of Reaper you are running) and move the existing reaper_csurf.dll to a different location or delete it altogether. Then take the newly downloaded driver and follow the instructions from the original post. It should work OK- it did for me.
Just an FYI not to forget to add the new ini file (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini) to the same Plugins directory. With it you can customize all the defaults to any action you wish to run. Lastly, when choosing the FaderPort from the Control Surfaces list in reaper be sure to choose "Presonus FaderPort XT". I added the XT in order to distinguish from the others.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
spikemullings

Quote:
That did it! Thanks!

Footswitch not working but I think it is probably the footwitch. One day I'll open it up and see whether I can get it running.

Thanks Karbo! Now that I can understand how to customise it with the ini file I can get a lot more use out it. Good work man.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
SuprchrgedSi

Hey yves, did you mess with the file on stash? I downloaded it, but for some reason, it keeps telling me it cannot extract the archive because it's not recognized. Thanks for the work you put into this, I'm just at my wits end. Thanks.

-Jimmy
SuprchrgedSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
ricothetroll

Hi !
Karbomusic, do you know if there is any tutorial on learning how to program such extensions for Reaper ? Is it accessible (I do some basic C programming and Pic programming in assembler) ?
I have recently bought an old Mackie HUI, that was some kind of bargain, but I've heard here that it doesn't work very well on Reaper, so improving the corresponding dll could be an option.
I think a lot of people here would be pleased to have a better support of HUI protocol...
Best regards.
Eric
ricothetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricothetroll View Post
Hi !
Karbomusic, do you know if there is any tutorial on learning how to program such extensions for Reaper ? Is it accessible (I do some basic C programming and Pic programming in assembler) ?
I have recently bought an old Mackie HUI, that was some kind of bargain, but I've heard here that it doesn't work very well on Reaper, so improving the corresponding dll could be an option.
I think a lot of people here would be pleased to have a better support of HUI protocol...
Best regards.
Eric
Hi Eric,

Check out the extensions SDK and the resources pages and see if you find what you need there:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/plugin/plugin.php

Karbo
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprchrgedSi View Post
Hey yves, did you mess with the file on stash? I downloaded it, but for some reason, it keeps telling me it cannot extract the archive because it's not recognized. Thanks for the work you put into this, I'm just at my wits end. Thanks.

-Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

Do you mean the link at the top of this page? This is the one I updated with additional features and is somewhat the latest version. If so I just downloaded and it uzips fine. If you meant Yves' original version I'm not sure.

Karbo
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
SuprchrgedSi

Quote:
Hi Jimmy,

Do you mean the link at the top of this page? This is the one I updated with additional features and is somewhat the latest version. If so I just downloaded and it uzips fine. If you meant Yves' original version I'm not sure.

Karbo
OOPS, totally my bad. I was just on yves thread and I completely got yours and his names mixed up. My bad.

Anyway, the link at the top is still not working for me. It always returns a message saying the archive is in an unknown format or is damaged. No idea what's going on. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Jimmy
SuprchrgedSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #20
ricothetroll

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Check out the extensions SDK and the resources pages and see if you find what you need there:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/plugin/plugin.php

Karbo
Thanx ! I'll check this out !
Have a nice day.
Eric
ricothetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
msuscorpio

Nice! Ill give this a try when I get home, thanks. I got my FaderPort a couple months ago but haven't yet had a chance to use it for anything more than the default out of the box stuff. One question, and its probably pretty stupid....When Im recording and I hit the stop button on the FP, how to I turn off that annoying pop up asking me to confirm saving the recorded tracks or to delete them? Its annoying that I still have to go back to the mouse to verify the appropriate action and would much rather be able to select it from the FP.
msuscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuscorpio View Post
Nice! Ill give this a try when I get home, thanks. I got my FaderPort a couple months ago but haven't yet had a chance to use it for anything more than the default out of the box stuff. One question, and its probably pretty stupid....When Im recording and I hit the stop button on the FP, how to I turn off that annoying pop up asking me to confirm saving the recorded tracks or to delete them? Its annoying that I still have to go back to the mouse to verify the appropriate action and would much rather be able to select it from the FP.
Reaper's preferences allows you to disable that prompt. Additionally with the updated FaderPort dll you can tell the stop button to perform any action or set of actions by placing them in a custom action and firing the custom action with the button via the INI file. Let me know if you have any problems.

One thing I have noticed is that you should completely remove the existing faderport/csurf.dll, add the faderport version and restart reaper. If you don't Reaper can and will load the wrong one even though you think it is the faderport version. I could probably find a way to compile the new one so this doesn't happen but haven't found it. So if you set this all up and it acts like nothing is working, remove the orignal DLL from the folder, then remove re-add faderportXT in reapers control surface options and you should be good to go.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
cbourner

Default Works, but not quite as expected

I think I have followed all the instructions here, and I have the FaderPort working, but Shift doesn't latch, and the Mix, Proj and Trns buttons do nothing until I customise actions.

I have moved reaper_csurf.dll to a subdirectory of Plugins, and placed reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll and reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini into the Plugins folder.

Is there anything I have missed?
cbourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
karbomusic

If shift latch doesn't work my guess is the new dll isn't actually loaded. Did any behavior change from the default Faderport behavior? I'd probably completely remove csurf from the folder altogether.

If I remember, I added debug statements in the code. Meaning you can run debugview from sysinternals.com and it should print out some of what is being sent from faderport. That output (or lack of it) will tell me if the right DLL is loaded.

You did remove the existing faderport then add FaderPortXT in preferences > control surfaces correct?

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
cbourner

Default FaderPort XT now working

Thanks karbomusic. I moved the original reaper_csurf.dll out of reach, and it now works.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourner View Post
Thanks karbomusic. I moved the original reaper_csurf.dll out of reach, and it now works.
That's great to hear. Just a reminder that if you upgrade Reaper in the future it will copy over a new csurf so just remember to move it out again. Lastly, if you don't alreay know the new INI file allows you to make some of the FaderPort buttons run any Reaper action you wish, the current ones are just what I picked as the baseline.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
cbourner

Default Output button?

I take it that the Output button - which currently toggles the Pan and Fader functions - cannot easily be made to select the Master track? That, to me, is the only thing missing in this excellent Reaper addition you have provided.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourner View Post
I take it that the Output button - which currently toggles the Pan and Fader functions - cannot easily be made to select the Master track? That, to me, is the only thing missing in this excellent Reaper addition you have provided.
Yes you are correct but I can't remember if I omitted it because it was too difficult at the time or not possible. Next time I pop open the code I'll have a look to see if it can easily be done. If memory serves it may have had to do with all the places the tracking of those two faders is important and that there was more to it than just intercepting the button press and redirecting to an action like all the others.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
evilevoix

Don't suppose there is any help for us Mac users??
evilevoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
Vandergraf

Default Any Updates to Faderport XT?

I just Installed the Faderport XT , but it only works when I mouse the on-screen fader. If try to use faderport to control the on-screen fader, nothing happens.

I am using the Faderport XT file dated 11/9/2011. Is there a newer file?

thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandergraf View Post
I just Installed the Faderport XT , but it only works when I mouse the on-screen fader. If try to use faderport to control the on-screen fader, nothing happens.

I am using the Faderport XT file dated 11/9/2011. Is there a newer file?

thanks
Not completely sure what you mean concerning the mouse/on-screen fader. However, make sure you remove reaper_csurf.dll completely and that you properly added faderportXT in Control Surfaces in preferences. csurf will interfere if it is in the directory making it look like faderportXT is loaded when it really isnt. Don't forget the ini file as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #32
mucknog

Default Footswitch

I hope I don't sound too stupid by asking...

Will any single channel switch like this one -> http://www.thomann.de/gb/lead_foot_fs_1.htm work?
mucknog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #33
karbomusic

If it is a momentary and not an on/off switch it should work.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
ST.

Thank you Karbomusic! Now the non-transport buttons on my Faderport actually do something in Reaper!

I did have a little bit of trouble at first, but I found that deleting (or removing from the "Plugins" folder) the file called "reaper_csurf.dll" made everything work as described. Cbourner seemed to have the same experience.

In other words, if you are still seeing "Faderport" along with the newly added "FaderportXT" in your Control Surfaces section of your preferences, then you most likely need to remove the aforementioned file to get things to work.

FWIW, I'm running Windows 7 32bit. Also, the files that I downloaded were dated "11/9/2011".

One more detail- the Faderport drivers I had installed were ver. 1.33 (?).

Thanks again-- and I hope that this post will give some help to anyone who may need it.
ST. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
I did have a little bit of trouble at first, but I found that deleting (or removing from the "Plugins" folder) the file called "reaper_csurf.dll" made everything work as described.
This is true, happens to me. Reaper sees csurf and uses it first. Be aware that anytime you upgrade to the latest version of Reaper it will place a new copy of csurf.dll into the directory. Just delete it and restart reaper.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #36
buddhajuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
Don't suppose there is any help for us Mac users??
Also looking for help on this one... I'm on mac too
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhajuke View Post
Also looking for help on this one... I'm on mac too
I would love to but simply don't know how to nor how I would compile test without a Mac.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #38
ST.

Quote:
This is true, happens to me. Reaper sees csurf and uses it first. Be aware that anytime you upgrade to the latest version of Reaper it will place a new copy of csurf.dll into the directory. Just delete it and restart reaper.
Karbomusic,

Thank you very much for the warning! I will make sure to re-delete the csurf.dll file if/when I upgrade.

By the way, I made the decision to buy the Faderport after seeing and reviewing this thread! I cannot express how happy and thankful I am that your program for the device works so well with my system. I think both Presonus and I are indebted to you for your effort.

Thank you for taking the time to put this all together-- I'm sure it wasn't quick or easy.
ST. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #39
karbomusic

Thank you ST. Worth every moment knowing others are getting use out of it. Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #40
Brado231

I too purchased a Faderport recently after viewing this thread. Thanks for your efforts in creating this!!

One question I have is whether I am able to configure the Pan knob to seek forward and back through the tracks when the shift button is selected. I have seen someone do this on youtube videos but not sure now he got it to work. Is there an ACTION_PAN_SHIFT setting I can set?

EDIT: Just found the video on youtube. It is called "FaderPort Performance" if you want to look it up. He is actually doing it in Studio One (not Reaper). Still though, it would be nice to do this in Reaper if possible?

Last edited by Brado231; 09-25-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Video info
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote