Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
13lues
Human being with feelings

Default The only thing keeping my from purchasing

This may very well be user error since this is my first DAW to work with, I am fairly computer savvy though.

The problem I'm having is that REAPER freezes on my fairly regularly. It doesn't crash, It freezes. IE I hit record and it doesn't record. I hit play and it doesn't play. The only workaround I've found is to save (It does still let me do that), then close out of reaper completely and then re-open it. This almost always works.

This could be user error, because soon after I got it i got a handful of free VST plugins that were highly recommended, and I don't know if they could be causing any problems.

I really like the software because of how easy been able to pick up on it, and the quality of the results i've been able to achieve with it and some modestly priced equipment.

If I could just get this freezing issue worked out I'd happily buy the key.
13lues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
krevvy

odd any other software cause your system to freeze?

have you done the basics (update bios/chispet/audio drivers etc?)
krevvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
13lues

No. REAPER is pretty much the only thing running on the computer though. I bought the Lenovo laptop just for hobby computer programming and music recording. I haven't had any trouble other than this though.

I'll try uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest version though. Hopefully that will clear it up.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
djjedidiah

"free VST plugins" = highly suspect
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
semiquaver

This can also be caused by an interface and or driver.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
13lues

Thanks. I had my suspicions about some of the plugins. I'll get rid of all of them except for the ones that came with my Focusrite interface and HyBrit. With all the wonderful thinks REAPER can do, I probably won't need anymore than that. I think I just went overboard.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #7
DarkStar

Hello 13lues and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Glad you got it sorted out. Out of interest, which free plug-ins did you get rid of?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #8
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
"free VST plugins" = highly suspect
wrong. I never ever have seen any free plugs doing that. if a free plug is faulty, it is most of the times updated very, very soon. and the free ones that are around for ages dont do that. otherwise that would be commeon knowledge.

I recommend not to give out that kinda "wisdom" as if you would know what you are talking about.

or are you paid by Waves or Steven Slate or Avid??
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #9
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
wrong. I never ever have seen any free plugs doing that.
I did.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
13lues

I'm sorry I didn't write down everything I got rid of. It was several though. I got rid of everything except for the Lepou ones because they were the only ones I've heard enough good things about to not worry about. There were a few drum machines, and several "effects pedals".

They very well may not have been causing the issue. I went with the "spray and pray" method for fixing it. Uninstall/Reinstall. Update computer. Checked drivers. ect.

It seems to have fixed the problem. If I can go until friday without freezes I'll purchase then.

I really do love the software when it's working properly. Since I seem to be in the vast minority or people having such problems. I'm going to assume it was user error somewhere down the road.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
serr

Just the transport freezes? As in everything is working (menus, saving, etc) but the transport just doesn't move at all when you hit either play or record?

That would suggest Reaper losing communication with the audio interface.

The next time it happens, try opening Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page and select your interface again. I know it's already selected... Just go through the motions, select it again and hit apply.

If that worked, then you definitely lost comm with the interface for some reason. Look for new versions of the driver. Make sure it's supported by your version of OS. If it's more difficult than that, Reaper gives you basically every option for controlling your interface and settings from running it from Reaper (Preferences/Audio/Device page) to running it from a proprietary control panel or another audio app or even a combination of all of the above for different parameters.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I did.
but not amongst the 1 million usual suspects as seen in the lists on KVR and bedroomproducers. these plugs work for years in millions of DAWs without anyone reporting problems.

like I said, I have never seen that, not with plugs, that are well known. no plug gets to the status of "well known" if it is buggy.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
13lues

Yes. It was just the transport that was freezing.

Thanks for the tip about it probably being an interface issue. It's the Focusrite 2i2 and Win8.1 operating system.

If it turns out I didn't fix the problem I'll look into updating (or maybe going back to an older version) of the driver for the Focusrite. I'm pretty sure I have the most current one now.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #14
JeffreyET

I second what Serr said. Happens to me all the time, simply unplugging and plugging back in will do it, then I have to re-select the device in options menu. Sometimes only certain USB ports work, too.