Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
geraintluff
Human being with feelings

Default Saving track output to WAV (during normal playback)

In ReaScript, is it possible to capture the output of a track, and save it to a WAV file?

This could be a combination of JSFX/ReaScript if needed, but I don't know what's possible in terms of passing data between the two.

Basically, I'm looking to see how well you could approximate this feature request without direct REAPER support.

Last edited by geraintluff; 03-15-2018 at 04:47 PM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Xenakios

No, there is no Reaper API even for C++ to get the full processed output of a track as audio samples. (The AudioAccessor API does not for example allow getting the samples of a track with the track FX applied.)

A VST plugin placed at the end of the FX chain could capture to a file what the FX chain is playing. You would probably need to develop a custom one for your purposes. (VST plugins to record their input to disk exist, but I think your feature request is too complicated to handle with those.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 03-15-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
geraintluff

That's what I thought from looking at the ReaScript API.

JSFX can read WAV files, but can't write to them, nor pass sufficient data to ReaScript, so it seems VST would be the way to go.

It would still need a ReaScript component too, to do the muting (when indicated by the VST) and detect interaction (instructing the VST to wipe its cache). That assumes that ReaScript can read and write parameters/sliders from VSTs, which I would hope is true.

Last edited by geraintluff; 03-15-2018 at 04:56 PM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintluff View Post
It would still need a ReaScript component too, to do the muting
VST plugins hosted by Reaper can use the Reaper API (that is essentially the same thing as ReaScript) to do things like that. Unfortunately it is messy to use the Reaper API if the plugin is developed with a plugin framework like JUCE or IPlug. (I have a solution for JUCE to do it, but I am not very happy about how I needed to implement it.)