Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Method to lock number of insert/send slots in mixer?

I'd like to make a theme MCP layout, for the Reaper mixer, that forces any track - using this layout - to display a set number of insert slots and/or send slots?

Or at the very least I would want the number of inserts and sends on some (or all) tracks to be locked - by any method - so it doesn't change.

I would want to use this for themeing, to make some tracks differentiate from others (like buses or subtracks etc), to automatically display the uniform number of slots without having to manually adjust it all the time.

Is there some kindof theme-ing function, walter, custom setting, hack or plugin, setting or similar, that will force a mixer track to do this?
I can't seem to find one.

Thanks for any tip

Last edited by Colox; 11-14-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
ertugrulgul

I asked the same thing, If anybody can help would be awesome.
ertugrulgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Luster

AFAIK not possible.

To differentiate between track functions like vca, group, sendreturn you could use the absence or presence of different elements of the mcp / tcp like input fx, fx chain, I/O, meter and automation, at least thats the way have done it in my mod. You could also use the fader caps for different layouts.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Colox

I think you're right, Luster. It doesn't seem possible to do. Guess we're going to have to make that deduction, in lack of other info.

But it would be very useful, and relevant I think. If not by some Walter parameter, then at least with a 'lock' command in the mixer dropdown menu.
Not that one shouldn't be able to scroll the insert- or send list, if the list is longer than the displayed amount of slots. Just that the number of slots remains constant for tracks of the same type, like belongong to different groupings or so.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I'd like to make a theme MCP layout, for the Reaper mixer, that forces any track - using this layout - to display a set number of insert slots and/or send slots?

Or at the very least I would want the number of inserts and sends on some (or all) tracks to be locked - by any method - so it doesn't change.

I would want to use this for themeing, to make some tracks differentiate from others (like buses or subtracks etc), to automatically display the uniform number of slots without having to manually adjust it all the time.

Is there some kindof theme-ing function, walter, custom setting, hack or plugin, setting or similar, that will force a mixer track to do this?
I can't seem to find one.

Thanks for any tip
you cannot control the number of sends, the number of FX or the number of parameter controls that are available, but you can control how many total slots are available for any combo of these.
set the Extmixer to '1' and then set the postion and size accordingly
EX:

set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position [0 0 90 680 0 1 0 1]

lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
sickamorz
Banned

I'm curious why you would want to do this. All you have to do is put fx items in the place where you want them. There are actions to turn off the fx slots on selected tracks.

So the resources are there to do what you want on a temporary basis. Making a custom action is also possible.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
I'm curious why you would want to do this. All you have to do is put fx items in the place where you want them. There are actions to turn off the fx slots on selected tracks.

So the resources are there to do what you want on a temporary basis. Making a custom action is also possible.
I wrote in the #1 post:
"... to make some tracks differentiate from others (like buses or subtracks etc), to automatically display the uniform number of slots without having to manually adjust it all the time".

I want tracks with different roles (buses, subtracks, masterbuses, aux tracks, monitoring tracks etc) to appear unique in the mixer; unique from tracks with other roles. And I want that solidified, unchangeable.

For example, if I'm going to use a track as a bus track for all guitars, I might choose to set that Bus track to a custom made 'MCP BUS TRACK' layout, and I'd like that layout to force the bus track into a different look and also auto-adjust its number of sends- and fx slots to a pre-set amount, that is unique to bus tracks. It's basically a way to control the height appearance of a certain track type.

Doing this makes scanning- and orienting in the track landscape in the mixer so much easier for the eyes, compared to a hundred similar-looking tracks in one long row.

Sure, you can drag manually with the mouse, but then you loose the uniformity (more confusing for the eye), and the size and appearance of tracks tends to change around during the work, by accidents or just laziness. Best solution so far to me, is to go through and select all bus tracks in the mixer by hand, then hit ALT and keep it in while you drag the size of the fx and sends fields for those tracks. And this will then gradually suffer from resizing the mixer window, small manual adjustments here and there, etc etc.

I just want things to stay the same all the time. Just like pretty much every mixer view on every other DAW out there.

Last edited by Colox; 11-18-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
.. but you can control how many total slots are available for any combo of these.
set the Extmixer to '1' and then set the postion and size accordingly
EX:

set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position [0 0 90 680 0 1 0 1]
Thanks.

I was experimenting with this a little before. And now that you awoke a renewed interest for it, I get stuck on the same place I gave up on before.

If I set your exact parameters in rtconfig to the custom MCP BUS layout, I get a channel without any fx- or send slots, which is stuck at the top of the mixer (see screenshot below).
Altering the (supposed) position parameters doesn't affect anything about it at all, no matter what I set.

Do you know, if the extmixer mode is a mode completely separated from already established MCP properties earlier in the rtconfig? Or does the ext mixermode inherit properties? I'm thinking that this might be why it doesn't move or change at all when I change the size/position values.

Last edited by Colox; 11-18-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I'm afraid its something a theme simply cannot do.

From a theming perspective, the extmixer is just a box. You give it stuff to go in the box (text, backgrounds, sizes of things), but from then on its all 100% auto-populated. There is no theming control over how its populated.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I'm afraid its something a theme simply cannot do.

From a theming perspective, the extmixer is just a box. You give it stuff to go in the box (text, backgrounds, sizes of things), but from then on its all 100% auto-populated. There is no theming control over how its populated.
Oh, blast.
I was so hoping that I'd find some kind of unorthodox loophole that would allow me to achieve something like it.

That Justin guy, he's a real tease. So many things just 'almost' works, but is capped at the last stage.

Thx White Tie