Old 11-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Eliot Mayer
Human being with feelings

Default Cockos Customer Support

I am presently evaluating Reaper, and I have a question about customer support. The Reaper web page, www.reaper.fm, doesn't show any direct contact information for customer support, but rather just a link to this forum. Does Cockos provide direct support for paid customers through this forum, or otherwise?

Peer-to-peer support is very nice, but if that's all there is, then Reaper might not be my cup of tea. For example, I searched the forum for "punch recording" because it doesn't work the way the User Manual says it should. After reading long forum threads, which took a lot of time, I did come up with a work-around but not the real answer.
Eliot Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Fergler

It's essentially this forum, however, there are also a few key players in Reaper education who cover a lot of the common problems that DAW migrants encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/audiogeekzine

And perhaps this will help you for punching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEgGZZFjbQ

btw should you prefer the item splitting method as shown, there are some preferences to disable the item deselection that he mentions just before the demonstration.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
hopi

perhaps if you clearly state here what you want to do as regards punch recording you'll get some faster help

also here is a link that will be much more helpful to search the forum than the forum's own search tools

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...%3Anbhva-j9iic
Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
mschnell

With the information provided on the Web (Docu, Videos, ...) and the help of these very active forums I could find ways to get up to speed with any of my (partly very complex and unusual) tasks to be done with Reaper.

Regarding the extremely friendly price of the product, obviously Cockos can't afford to maintain a customer support department.

If you really need you will need to hire some expert to help you.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliot Mayer View Post
I am presently evaluating Reaper, and I have a question about customer support. The Reaper web page, www.reaper.fm, doesn't show any direct contact information for customer support, but rather just a link to this forum. Does Cockos provide direct support for paid customers through this forum, or otherwise?

Peer-to-peer support is very nice, but if that's all there is, then Reaper might not be my cup of tea. For example, I searched the forum for "punch recording" because it doesn't work the way the User Manual says it should. After reading long forum threads, which took a lot of time, I did come up with a work-around but not the real answer.
If you need more than another user that believes they're an expert, forget getting any real help.
Any help you get is of questionable accuracy.

Last edited by cutnpaste; 11-17-2017 at 01:28 AM.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 AM   #6
ivansc

Also, FWIW Justin and Schwa (the two developers) read these forums & always step in if there seems to be a need to do so.
The other thing everyone seems to have forgotten to tell you is that you can always email support issues directly to cockos & they WILL respond.
There may not be someone paid to sit on a phone and answer support issues (hard to do when there is only 2 of you) but from my own experience of other DAWs the help is generally offered in a timely manner & is always there if you need it, unlike some of the major players.
As with everything else regarding Cockos and Reaper, very little is done in a way that conforms with the more traditional business models, but regardless of that, it works well for the vast majority of us.

The biggest stumbling block for most of us already familiar with other DAW software is the difference in terminology and of course the sheer flexibility and speed of development.

Download the manual if you didnt already, make sure you watch the free video tutorials, especially Kenny Gioia`s contributions, and ask lots of questions when you need to.
Not all of us are self-opinionated idiots & in general if one user is steering you wrong, a bunch of others will wade in and correct him/her/it.

FWIW I am the grumpy old fart round here, but even I get the right answer to problems occasionally. Have fun!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
FWIW I am the grumpy old fart round here, but even I get the right answer to problems occasionally. Have fun!
I agree with everything Ivan said, except this. That's not been my experience - the grumpy bit, not the being right bit - he's a pussycat, very helpful and usually right.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
If you need more than another user that believes they're an expert, forget getting any real help.
This will doubtless make the people who already *successfully* helped you feel great.

Seriously, I know you usually only post one-liners & rarely respond to any follow-up posts you receive, but why do you feel let down by the community?

And like I said above, you can always email the devs - one-on-one support from the guys who write the software seems pretty effective to me.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from.
I suggest contacting Jon here:
https://reaperblog.net/learn/reaper-lessons/
for one-to-one support
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
slipstick

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood how these forums work for support. As that is your first post to the forums you obviously haven't asked any questions about punch recording or anything else and asking questions is the best way to get answers.

I know there are some forums out there where people get offended if you ask a question that was already answered, sort of, a few years ago but I'm pleased to say that this place doesn't work like that. Ask away and any genuine question will be answered. You may get pointed to an older thread to save retyping everything again but you will get usually several useful answers.

That together with email support is enough for most people. Essentially all you lose is the chance to spend your time on the phone ranting at someone who apparently can't understand your question and couldn't answer it even if he managed to work out what you were asking .

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #11
fixerdave

Quote:
one line response to this....total bollocks
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #12
MRMJP

I think you'll find that the customer support Is more direct than bigger apps like Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase. Plus with those, you tend to get unless robotic answers and not real results.

You'll appreciate that official REAPER updates tend to come out every couple of weeks instead of every few months.

You may also appreciate that if they are working on fixing a bug or adding a new feature that you care about, you can grab a new pre-release beta version every few days and give them your thoughts/concerns/suggestions or report issues that will be quickly addressed.

Aside from the developers who are active on this forum, the REAPER message board (mostly) contains users that are really helpful. When I started using REAPER, if something I wanted to do wasn't possible, somebody would offer to make a script for me. Now my workflow is so streamlined and dialed in it's ridiculous.

The REAPER manual is very thorough and Kenny's videos are a great starting point. Jon Tidey's are great too.

I've had to email Cockos support a few times as well for various little things and they always respond promptly.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for. If you like fast paced troubleshooting, try REAPER. If you like to wait 3 days for what will likely be a useless reply, try AVID/Steinberg/Logic.

I still use Pro Tools for a few things and I heavily use WaveLab but I certainly don't regret moving to REAPER for some major tasks.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #13
TC7

You're soaking in it.
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #14
DrKev

Quote:
Complete and utter codswallop.

Is all info/opinion given here always accurate or correct. Of course not, no forum is. On specific Reaper-related technical questions, is this one of the most knowledgeable and helpful forums I've known in nearly 30 years? Abso-bloody-lutely!

Tip: Add site:forum.cockos.com to your search engine terms to restrict search answers to this forum. Big time saver!

Last edited by DrKev; 11-17-2017 at 07:34 AM.
DrKev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #15
martifingers

Hi Elliot
FWIW here's my experience.
I have posted several times asking for help and oft times this has been to do with something other than REAPER alone (eg a control surface not working, a third party plug-in etc.) The response has always been fast (within a day at most!), accurate (or if not people have responded quickly to my asking clarifications) and above all no buck passing! I can also confirm that Justin and co will step in. I compare this to "professional" support which is sometimes good and sometimes not.

So for me the REAPER approach is perfect. Yes it is a new model of how things are dome but then so is REAPER itself. And of course people can get a bit emotionally involved on the odd occasion.

One other thing, I have noticed how quickly people respond to a "real" emergency. The generosity shown to people in trouble is very life affirming - you know not just advice and follow up but offers to render projects or provide samples or whatever. And that spirit is literally priceless.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
cassembler

Something to consider is why we need support for audio products - I suspect a lot of it comes from installation/activation issues, of which Reaper doesn't really have any. The installation/upgrade process is about as easy as it gets, plus there are detailed release notes, and you can search the forums for each change to see the related conversation.

In that regard, it's the best support model I've personally seen.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
Complete and utter codswallop.

Is all info/opinion given here always accurate or correct. Of course not, no forum is. On specific Reaper-related technical questions, is this one of the most knowledgeable and helpful forums I've known in nearly 30 years? Abso-bloody-lutely!

Tip: Add site:forum.cockos.com to your search engine terms to restrict search answers to this forum. Big time saver!
Agreed. Well I haven't had an Internet connection since 1987, but I agree as far back as 1996 anyway.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
michael diemer

Only Sonar has a forum as good as this one. and they need it, as customer support has all but vanished. You'll hear from Schwa or Justin before you'll hear from Cakewalk Support. I have on occasion emailed them (that is, the Reaper devs), and the response was prompt. They stayed with me until the problem solved. Other DAW forums and official support have already been mentioned for their legendary pitifulness. In short, you won't find better help anywhere than here.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #19
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Only Sonar has a forum as good as this one. and they need it, as customer support has all but vanished. You'll hear from Schwa or Justin before you'll hear from Cakewalk Support. I have on occasion emailed them (that is, the Reaper devs), and the response was prompt. They stayed with me until the problem solved. Other DAW forums and official support have already been mentioned for their legendary pitifulness. In short, you won't find better help anywhere than here.
Also it's nice to think having customer support will be helpful, but if the problem is a serious bug, customer support can't do anything about it. I switched from Sonar to Reaper around the time of Sonar X1 because of some serious bugs in X1 which (in my opinion) should've prevented it from being released. Those bugs persisted in X1 for so long, I gave up and moved on. Reaper's track record for fixing serious bugs is much better.

The feeling at the time on the Sonar forums is that the developers didn't read the forums or care.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
gofer
-blänk-

I'm not more than another user who believes he's an expert, but here's my take on questionably accurate help:

In case of emergency, there's always support@cockos.com to the rescue. The link is well hidden on Cockos' company page https://www.cockos.com/index.php

But as in my experience the help I received from my fellow inaccurates on the forum didn't ever let me down yet, even with the most exotic questions, I never bothered to test that channel.

Last edited by gofer; 11-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #21
jerome_oneil

Quote:

Holy crap, that is genius.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #22
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I think you'll find that the customer support Is more direct than bigger apps like Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase. Plus with those, you tend to get unless robotic answers and not real results.
I always thought it would be funny to create a form response like most of the companies do, but tailor it to the forum

To: newuser@angelfire....no yahooo...no geocities
Dear xxxx,

We have received your concern and will forward it to the relevant parties. Please allow us to say to allow 3-4 business days for a response. This response will be another non specific to your case form letter asking you if you tried turning off your computer and then turning it back on.

Please do not reply to this email, any further replies will be sent to the Lounge, where you will be flogged mercilessly
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #23
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Agreed. Well I haven't had an Internet connection since 1987, but I agree as far back as 1996 anyway.
"almost 30 years" = accessing usenet on VT100 terminals in 1990.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #24
JamesPeters

Quote:
"almost 30 years" = accessing usenet on VT100 terminals in 1990.
Nice! I learned to use DOS in 1994, and was only ready to mess around with the Internet by the time I had Windows 95 installed.

Prior to that I did mess around with Basic a bit on some computers in the late 80s. Cassette tape backup, however, made the experience so frustrating that I just stopped using computers until they became a lot closer to what we use nowadays.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I always thought it would be funny to create a form response like most of the companies do, but tailor it to the forum

To: newuser@angelfire....no yahooo...no geocities
Dear xxxx,

We have received your concern and will forward it to the relevant parties. Please allow us to say to allow 3-4 business days for a response. This response will be another non specific to your case form letter asking you if you tried turning off your computer and then turning it back on.

Please do not reply to this email, any further replies will be sent to the Lounge, where you will be flogged mercilessly
LMAO

SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC7 View Post
You're soaking in it.
You old!!!

And so am I for knowing what the heck you're talking about.

Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You old!!!

I wondered if anyone else would notice...

Old 11-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #28
Archimedes

Elliot Mayer,

Their business model wouldn't work with the kind of support you might get from Avid, or Ableton, Propellerhead, etc.

The Cockos folks roll out releases fairly often, with only 1 exception that I can recall. Some are minor releases, some have major new features and functions, some are just tweaks in response to the army of users in this forum.

So there's an upside, and a downside to this. The upside is that the Cockos software developers are tied in very closely with the most active members of the Prerelease forum. That's an important forum because Cockos relies heavily on Reaper's users to help them debug their software.

The downside, of course, is that there is no 1 place to go for expert advice or help. The people who are most expert in that are the developers themselves. I count maybe 3 or 4 human beings who actually write software for Cockos - I could be wrong, but it's a very small, high performance team. The more time they spend on a help desk, the less software is being written or fixed.

Here in these forums, you'll find a couple of traits. First, nearly everyone here tries as hard as they can to come to the aid of those with questions. That speaks extremely highly of the community of Reaper users. Second, the diversity here is as broad as it could possibly be. So some of the help you'll get might be from folks who struggle with English, or just assume too much about what you know and end up losing you in the conversation. The third (and not the last) thing, is that there is a LOT of information and discussion that has taken place before you arrived. That body of knowledge constitutes the "subject matter expertise" of this forums, and this products, most experienced and ardent users.

I moved to Reaper from Pro Tools, Reason, and Ableton. I have features and functions, and a certain amount of "lean" in this product that benefits me far more than any support or help desk made available by the other OEMs. Reaper is a bit of a ..... hmmmm, very hard to characterize. It's like walking into a library that isn't completely organized. So you have to get to know the librarian. And she's pretty nice.

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-17-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #29
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I wondered if anyone else would notice...

And that's another great thing about this place, the occasional humor. The one awhile back about "what Sonar does better than Reaper," with a picture of a submarine scanning a surface ship, was pricelss.

I also got the Palmolive allusion. I believe her name was "Madge."
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #30
Dr Bob

hehe oldies ...

Was using vt type terminals back in 1975 to connect to machines in Stanford and Queensland from the UK! Using EPSS (Experimental Package Switching Network, which became PSS X25 based). Used an ANF-10 <--> X25 protocol conversion box (PDP-11). Main access machine was a DECSystem10 (KL10 processor) - the two remotes were also DEC10's using the same conversion box. Also had email not long after - address was rob@york - not a bad eh?

Support for the DEC10 was an DEC engineer permanently sitting in a office next to the machine. Now that's support - like having a Justin next door!

The skill was knowing which box to kick, and the *real* skill was knowing how hard to kick and where! Reboot anyone???

Oh, I don't miss the days of keying in a primary bootstrap on the toggle switches anymore - sigh ...

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #31
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
hehe oldies ...

Was using vt type terminals back in 1975 to connect to machines in Stanford and Queensland from the UK! Using EPSS (Experimental Package Switching Network, which became PSS X25 based). Used an ANF-10 <--> X25 protocol conversion box (PDP-11). Main access machine was a DECSystem10 (KL10 processor) - the two remotes were also DEC10's using the same conversion box. Also had email not long after - address was rob@york - not a bad eh?

Support for the DEC10 was an DEC engineer permanently sitting in a office next to the machine. Now that's support - like having a Justin next door!

The skill was knowing which box to kick, and the *real* skill was knowing how hard to kick and where! Reboot anyone???

Oh, I don't miss the days of keying in a primary bootstrap on the toggle switches anymore - sigh ...

dB
Yep. KSR terminal with a dial-up acoustic modem to UCLA was my intro. Eventually leading to RSX11M+ on PDP 11/24s, then VAXs, then a broad assortment from Sun, Data General, Unisys, etc. I miss ODT and the idea we were trustworthy engineers who knew how computers actually worked.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #32
TC7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You old!!!

Speak up, will ya...? I couldn't quite hear what ya said...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
TC7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
And that's another great thing about this place, the occasional humor.
Now, you sound like my wife.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #34
ivansc

Cut my teeth on Dec PDP11s and the like, but was around for ferrite bead memory and punchcards. "You kids today dont know you`re born, etc....."

My first Mini Winnie was a mighty 10Mb! Guy who sold it to us asked whatever we were doing that would ever produce the data to even half fill that!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #35
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Cut my teeth on Dec PDP11s and the like, but was around for ferrite bead memory and punchcards. "You kids today dont know you`re born, etc....."

My first Mini Winnie was a mighty 10Mb! Guy who sold it to us asked whatever we were doing that would ever produce the data to even half fill that!
Yep, same here. Second generation programmer. My father worked at Rinshed Mason - paint company in SoCal. Took me to work to "help" him on Saturdays and paid me a bit so I could save for a pair of Beatle Boots. I was more interested in the Edison dictaphones collecting in our garage though. Never got the boots.

I owned a Pro 350 when they came out. Spent $3,000 on an RD52 (30MB) - thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. Could never get my wife to feel the same way though.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #36
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Was using vt type terminals back in 1975 to connect to machines in Stanford and Queensland from the UK!
I believe at that time I had just completed my training to not poop in my pants. So I guess I don't feel quite as old anymore...
Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #37
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I searched the forum for "punch recording" because it doesn't work the way the User Manual says it should.
If you'd be good enough to elaborate on this and describe the problem exactly I'll be very happy to check this out. Thanks!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #38
Glennbo

Quote:
I recommend that you go buy Cakewalk Sonar Platinum for ONLY $499!

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions#start

You'll get no more *official* hand holding than the SIXTY BUCKS you'd spend buying Reaper, PLUS you'll get an inferior DAW, so it's a win win solution!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #39
lolilol1975

The guy hasn't responded so far. Methink we're having a troll here. Just like with the "reaper audio engine" thread.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 AM   #40
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
The guy hasn't responded so far. Methink we're having a troll here. Just like with the "reaper audio engine" thread.
Come on.
Not everyone checks their forum-posts every day
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote