Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default looking for famous pop songs that were mixed in 5.1?

hi i'm looking for famous pop songs that were mixed in 5.1.........

do they exist at all?

i just wanted to download it from youtube if possible and open it up in reaper
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
DVDdoug

I won't say they "don't exist", but CD & MP3 doesn't support 5.1. AAC supports multiple channels, but as far as I know iTunes downloads are all stereo (or mono). That means it's "difficult" to distribute, sell, buy, or play, and there is not much supply or demand.

Of course, Blu-Ray and DVD support surround sound and just about everybody can play them, but those formats are rarely used for audio distribution.

You can search for some DVD-Audio or SACD discs (these formats support multi-channel). But, neither of those formats ever "caught-on", the demand never developed, and they are virtually dead formats. And, many DVD-Audio & SACD discs are "high resolution" 2-channel stereo.

...I found Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon in 5.1 on SACD. (I found it on eBay, so it might be out of print.)

...I've got a shelf-full of DVD concerts and I'd guess that more than half of them have 5.1 channel Dolby or DTS. And, many of them sound freekin' amazing! Of course, there are many popular songs by the original artists on the DVDs, but they are live versions, not the "popular" studio versions.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 07-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
read

great thanks!
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
gmgmgm

You might have a look at Stephen Wilson's remixes over at headphonedust.com.

If you're into any of the bands he's done remixes with (King Crimson, Yes, XTC, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant) I can highly recommend his work.
gmgmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #5
metal_priest

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells has been remixed in 5.1 too.

Anyway, IMHO, all these albums were born for stereo so these new surround remixes are like to watch a Chaplin movie in 4k...useless and totally fake
If you really want something that has interesting surround and spaced sounds you should look for some contemporary and experimental music (Stockhausen, Murray, Cage, Nono etc)

As Doug said, for pop music, probably a live album could be more interesting..but still..only if it has been recorded to be mastered in 5.1, otherwise is just a fake
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote