Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Masi
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to create an FX-plugin with WALTER-style themeing?

If I want to write an FX plugin in C++ that has a customisable UI can I do it with the API of Reaper? Is the WDL a key to create a UI with its own WALTER config file?

It's been long since I coded in C and have no DSP knowledge, but I would love to create a mock for a simple plugin that adapts to the active Reaper theme.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Xenakios

WALTER itself is not open source but it appears to be based on Cockos's open sourced EEL programming language so reimplementing it should not be too hard, if required. (EEL is included in the WDL library.) The theme elements are likely drawn using the Cockos LICE graphics library which is also part of WDL.

The Reaper API appears to have some functions to get information about the currently used Reaper theme. You would need to figure out how to use the Reaper API from a VST plugin in order to use those.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
Masi

Thank you.

One more question: If I want the UI to be accessible with a screen reader will WDL and/or JUCE support me with that? To my great surprise I have learned that Reaper is usable for the blind. Would be a shame if the plugin weren't.

Masi
Old 09-22-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
azslow3

For accessibility in JUCE:
Quote:
I agree it’d be great for us to do, but the commercial reality is that when we try prioritise our huge list of requested features, this one is always stuck in the awkward position of being very time-consuming and expensive to write, and also being of little or no interest to most of our customers…
In other words, they would like if someone else add accessibility layer to JUCE (so, for free), but they do not want to spend a cent for that...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
Xenakios

IPlug does not support accessibility either.

WDL itself is not a framework for doing plugins. You would need to add quite a lot of additional code of your own to do VST/AU plugins with that. (Confusingly, IPlug used to be part of WDL, but it is not anymore.)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Masi

Thank you guys. Makes me wonder though why the other guy wrote his friend can handle Reaper and its shipped plugins.

Masi

PS: Really sad that accessibility is seen a nice to have at best.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
why the other guy wrote his friend can handle Reaper and its shipped plugins.
Reaper (and the included Rea-plugs) are coded with the win32 API and often using the standard Windows GUI controls, which do support accessibility.