Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Philbo King
Human being with feelings

Default Tooltips on toolbar buttons can't be edited

I've been creating toolbars and found this behavior. When you create a new button and type in a name for it, the name becomes the tool tip, and that works fine if you choose an icon for the bytton.

However if you choose to use text for the icon, for example "1" for select take 1, you are stuck with the tooltip displaying "1". It'd be nice if you could rename the button on the toolbar editor so the new name/tooltip would show up, while keeping the " 1" on the text icon.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
Pet

Try to add some blank spaces after the text you want to see in the button. Not really a solution, cause you see the empty spaces in the tooltip, but a workaround.

HTH
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Philbo King

That didn't work so well, the text wraps on the button.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
When you create a new button and type in a name for it, the name becomes the tool tip, and that works fine if you choose an icon for the bytton.

However if you choose to use text for the icon, for example "1" for select take 1, you are stuck with the tooltip displaying "1". It'd be nice if you could rename the button on the toolbar editor so the new name/tooltip would show up, while keeping the " 1" on the text icon.
Just uncheck 'use as tooltip'-should work fine with original descriptions over your text as new tooltip. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Pet

Hi Philbo King,
I admit the suggestion with the spaces was not really good. But I found another workaround.

Target: I want a toolbar with the text "BETA" in the first line and only the number "5" in the second line. After that more text (in my case a description).
What I did: opened the "Charmap" (I'm on Windows, maybe it's called different on other OS). Scrolled down and found some empty "punctuation" signs that are Unicode thingies like "U +2005". Don't know what they are exactly doing, but for the toolbar button it helped.
Copy/Pasted two of them before the "5" and a few more behind and got the result I wanted.

Maybe this is useful for you too.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Philbo King

Thanks for the ideas!