COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
JonatanCrafoord
Human being with feelings

Default Rant - Video Editors

Dear people at Cockos. You should make a piece of video editing software.

After countless hours trying to edit video using Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve, supposedly industry standard software for this stuff, I find myself increasingly frustrated with how badly they suck.

Their windows can't be properly customized. They require long installations and gigs of space where I can have Reaper downloaded and installed in 30 seconds flat - and portable at that. Playback is sluggish, even with just a few tracks and no effects. Project and export settings are bogged down by a million archaic concepts like interlaced footage and anamorphic formats. Want to change your frame rate after having started work on your Resolve project? Sorry, you're out of luck, start over.

I sometimes open video files in Reaper for quick editing and exporting, secretly dreaming of the day the next Reaper change log includes "added video fade transitions". But what I'm really wishing for is just a new piece of software that breaks the hold of the old dinosaurs and brings some fresh, lightweight and fast editing to the world of video. You should be the ones doing it.

/end rant

Last edited by JonatanCrafoord; 11-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Dear people at Cockos. You should make a piece of video editing software.

secretly dreaming of the day the next Reaper change log includes "added video fade transitions".

/end rant
Helloez- cockos have already given just what you want-end of rant. >you can do it all in reaper right now!
The main issues people seem to report to date is lack of importing/exporting and certain editing functions specific to video.
Also -a real lack of knowledge on how computers are using installed codecs and such-not having the right codecs etc etc..mis-configurations etc. we are all kinda guilty of that.
If cockos take a closer look @ how *blender* operates-i'm sure they will nail this in short time to give a much fuller range of features and editable options. =)
With that programme user can do full 7.1 3d etc etc..<very nice features there! [imo] =free for use now.
Cockos have the required knowledge-they just have not implemented it so far!
Hoping that comes soon.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I agree completely with Bri1. I was an Adobe Premiere user since the mid 90s but now find REAPER is more than adequate for most of my video editing needs (even large, multi camera edits). The main thing I'd like to see added to REAPER video capabilities is the ability to export using any codec installed on the system. At the moment, it only sees the ones VLC and FFmpeg use.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

To get all the transition FX and image adjustment options, insert the video processor plugin on your tracks with video and select the options from the preset drop-down in the plugin. You can do many things with it such as basic colour correction and brightness/contrast tweaks, basic titles, dissolves (using item and track fades and crossfades) and many other things.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
At the moment, it only sees the ones VLC and FFmpeg use.
Hey-nice to agree! lolz-- anywayz-- there are more tools for windowsiz userz -- graph studio next + codec tweak tool.
Graph studio next is pretty awesome-it gives user a whole heap of options and methods to render and convert file types.
The codec tweak tool allows user to modify and set any default playback and rendering options for all included codecs.. this might be where a lot of users are getting 'problems' this needs tweaking really for optimal user choices!! =)
Blender as an open sourced softwares is just incredible-- many codecs,tools and manipulating scripts can be used there-- big love for that + it's very energetic caring and sharing communities!!
Check some of the functions + options out-very ! > https://www.blender.org/features/

"Video Editing Blender even comes with a built-in Video Editor.
The Video Editor allows you to perform basic actions like video cuts and splicing, as well as more complex tasks like video masking.
The Video Editor includes:
  • Live preview, luma waveform, chroma vectorscope and histogram displays
  • Audio mixing, syncing, scrubbing and waveform visualization
  • Up to 32 slots for adding video, images, audio, scenes, masks and effects
  • Speed control, adjustment layers, transitions, keyframes, filters and more"

The tracking is nice =)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
Twangothan

I tried Reaper video about 18 months ago and couldn't make sense of it at all but funnily enough I decided to give it another go this weekend, so here I am. A dedicated forum area for video would be really good if such a thing is possible!