Old 09-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
audioguytodd
Human being with feelings

Excellent work Liteon. As usual.

I am very interested in this...
Old 09-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #42
Consul

A great deal of interest here as well. Among the issues I have with JS are no functions and no includes, which would include variable scoping, which make it difficult to write anything other than quick, small routines, which I suppose is what it was designed for to begin with. Something like a visual front-end and code generator would be ace.

"... And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #43
liteon

reporting for duty here.

Quote:
one of the major drawbacks of 'as2/3' programming is the poor performance of the actionscript virtual machine and rendering engine for text fields.
cpu usage is very high for large texts. i'm thinking of a way to output only portion of a string based on caret movement in a text field - a bit tricky that is.
i've investigated further on the subject. apparently the flash component framework - buttons, scrollbars etc, slows things even more. after looking for a minimal set of components for a while and not liking any of those, i gave up on that idea and wrote my own framework. but the problem of slow textfield still remained.

then i've found this project - online ide engine by victor dramba. after speaking with victor, he said that he is using the exact same method - portions of a string based on caret movement.

so now i'm greatful to be using his scriptarea component which is great, but my syntax highlighting, line numbers and scrollbars have to be integrated, actually its not bad at all since minus the 'sh' bit, it looks like the current jesusonic ide in reaper.

---
documentation is 40% done.

-----------
the module formatting:

extension is .jsmod
Code:
// *************************
// js module template
// *************************

//#mspr
//#inputs in0, in1
//#outputs out0, out1
//#declare j, x,y,s
//#declare p
//#declare in0,in1,out0,out1

//#mspr
slider1:<0,1,0.1>slidertext1
filename:0,filename.wav

//#mspr
@init
x=5;

//#mspr
@slider
k=slider1;

//#mspr
@sample
y=sin(k*x);
yp= px *21;
py= xp;
p=1;
j=2;

//#mspr
@block
sb=samplesblock;

//#mspr
@gfx 300 200
gfx_y=mosy;
gfx_x=mosx;

//#mspr
@serialize
s=1;
some notes here:
- i'm using these separators '//#mspr' in the parser for now, but since they are commented out (same for other jsmod specific lines) the modules are compatible with the jesusonic compiler)
- there is a requirement that all directives are present for each module and i may leave it this way for now.

- there are some definitions in the first section:
Code:
//#inputs in0, in1
//#outputs out0, out1
//#declare j, x,y,s
//#declare p
//#declare in0,in1,out0,out1
this is where the inputs and outputs variables are declared as well as the normal variables.

- the gfx section dimensions are module specific (300x200). this will be used in a eventual gfx-module arrange window.

- the 'mosx' & 'mosy' variables are to be used as module x,y offset values. (x,y offset for a slider in a gfx arrangement for example)

----
for the offline version, shell integration and saving/loading module arrangements:

^ there is a 'myfilter' file and if you click it - it loads in the editor.
the storage format for now is binary.

i currently have no idea if the shell integration/installation process will work on linux runtime, but i'm pretty sure it will work on mac.

the online version, which is almost exactly the same engine, will be hosted directly from the google code svn repository, but there will be no save, export and load functionality.

---
no strict schedule, but i would prefer to release a stable version before new year. :-)

Last edited by liteon; 10-27-2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: clarification
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #44
Fergo

That's really cool liteon! Looking forward to it.

Would be an option to create custom modules to use in graphic mode? I mean, someone may want to create a custom filter and make that a module, so he can use it and link with other modules in the "visual programming" mode.

Regards,
Fergo
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #45
liteon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo View Post
That's really cool liteon! Looking forward to it.

Would be an option to create custom modules to use in graphic mode? I mean, someone may want to create a custom filter and make that a module, so he can use it and link with other modules in the "visual programming" mode.

Regards,
Fergo
hi fergo,
it currently acts more or less like synthedit. there is a modular/routing view and a simple "gfx arrangement" view. a small plus is that modules can be edited and parsed on the fly. however there won't be any module nesting/grouping inside containers (i'm not sure about synthedit but i think synthmaker has that), so if someone created an interesting fx, it has to be converted to a module manually i.e. user needs to edit it: knowing a bit of programming to optimize the code and redeclare all variables.

---

tbd - pre alpha:
- some gfx placement issues
- complete the documentation

whats done:
- pretty much everything for the alpha

gfx arranger screenshot:

i'm dropping a first public version this weekend, for some feedback.

as much as i enjoyed my own enthusiasm and the comments in this thread i must point out that this program can eventually bring some of the (if we may call them) demerits of jesusonic, and not succeed in making the second drastically more popular.

but it will be possible for you, with a good set user created modules and a gfx framework, to create something in the lines of your first js synthesizer .
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #46
airon

Looking forward to it LiteOn. What some folks here will come up with should be quite interesting.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #47
vitalker

Do you still create this program?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote