Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
EnGee
Human being with feelings

Default Does Reaper 5.77 have a problem with Ryzen? (SOLVED)

Hi there,

I had a PC built with Ryzen 5 1600X. It seems great except in Reaper! Previously I had i5-4570 and Reaper was the king of the hosts when it comes to Performance.

My setup is using Presonus iTwo ASIO with 256 buffer and 44.1 Khz sample rate.

Lately, I was testing Korg ARP Odyssey VSTi with the hosts I have installed, and I had those results:
Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!

The test preset of ARP Odyssey is '030: Feeling Bass' with just one note.

Live 9: 12 instances

Reaper 5.77: 2 instances only!!

Cubase 9: 12 instances

Reason 10: 7 instances .

FL Studio 12: 12 instances

Then, I did a similar test but with u-he RePro 5 64bit VSTi with the Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison (one note):

Reaper 5.77 - enabling Multi-Core in the preset -> 5 instances
Reaper 5.77 - MC not enabled -> 2 instances

Reason 10 - enabling MC -> 11 instances
Reason 10 - MC not enabled -> 11 instances

Cubase 9 - enabling MC -> 17 instances
Cubase 9 - MC not enabled -> 14 instances

As you see I have great results in other DAWs, so the problem of poor performance is related to Reaper 5.77. Does Reaper use Intel specific code? As I haven't such a problem with my previous intel processor!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by EnGee; 03-26-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Updating the title with [Solved]
EnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
C-H

I would be interested in some feedback on this too.
Planning a Ryzen build...... sometime soon if GPU pricing comes down to reasonable levels again.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:34 AM   #3
Dr. Who

I would also be interested as I am considering a Ryzen build.

Anybody?
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Dr. Who

I am wondering if it is the processor or the specific motherboard used? Anybody?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnGee View Post
Hi there,

I had a PC built with Ryzen 5 1600X. It seems great except in Reaper! Previously I had i5-4570 and Reaper was the king of the hosts when it comes to Performance.

My setup is using Presonus iTwo ASIO with 256 buffer and 44.1 Khz sample rate.

Lately, I was testing Korg ARP Odyssey VSTi with the hosts I have installed, and I had those results:
Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!

The test preset of ARP Odyssey is '030: Feeling Bass' with just one note.

Live 9: 12 instances

Reaper 5.77: 2 instances only!!

Cubase 9: 12 instances

Reason 10: 7 instances .

FL Studio 12: 12 instances

Then, I did a similar test but with u-he RePro 5 64bit VSTi with the Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison (one note):

Reaper 5.77 - enabling Multi-Core in the preset -> 5 instances
Reaper 5.77 - MC not enabled -> 2 instances

Reason 10 - enabling MC -> 11 instances
Reason 10 - MC not enabled -> 11 instances

Cubase 9 - enabling MC -> 17 instances
Cubase 9 - MC not enabled -> 14 instances

As you see I have great results in other DAWs, so the problem of poor performance is related to Reaper 5.77. Does Reaper use Intel specific code? As I haven't such a problem with my previous intel processor!

Any thoughts?

There seems to be problems in 5.77 other than what you have shown here. As soon as 5.77 is installed the system became sluggish revert back to 5.75 back to normal (I don't know about 5.76 as I never installed this version).
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Dr. Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
There seems to be problems in 5.77 other than what you have shown here. As soon as 5.77 is installed the system became sluggish revert back to 5.75 back to normal (I don't know about 5.76 as I never installed this version).
I dont have any problem with it. You seem to have the problem with this version judging from your various posts on the forum.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Thyreoph

Hi there,

I have that processor. I don't have that synth, but I tested REAPER 5.77 with U-He Diva. I managed to get 17 instances of Diva in Divine mode with 16 voices 6 stack. I also tried the "great" accuracy, again with 16 voices and 6 stack, and managed 32 instances without a problem. I will try the same test with Studio One 3 Pro, Ableton Live 10 and Bitwig 2.3 a little bit later. I may install the previous version of REAPER to see if it can handle more than this one can.

Also I am using Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 set on 48 Khz and 256 buffer.
Thyreoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Travesty

I didn't get great performance from my 1700, I struggled to get the processor load above 25%. When looking at the cores in task manager, one core was always way higher than the others.

I swapped to an i7 8700k, and the spread across the cores is very even. I have had this cpu up to 65% load so far and I haven't had any stuttering yet.

It probably depends on the way you structure your project, but I get about 3 times the performance out of the i7 due to the multithreading issue, even with 2 fewer physical cores.

It's not why I switched though, that's because I have a pci-e uad card, and it's incompatible.

It's a shame, I really wanted to be blown away by it

I'm using an RME HDSPe Raydat and the mobo was an asus b350 prime
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
EnGee

I have just tried Reaper 5.75. It is the same behaviour as 5.77.

Interesting that I have Asus Prime b350 motherboard, but if it is the problem, then why other DAWs have no problem with it?

Anyway, everything is possible. It's not practical for me to try or switch to another motherboard now, as it performs OK with everything else, so I will test future versions of Reaper.

Thanks for your replies
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Might be interesting to compare the non-ICC builds of REAPER here:

https://landoleet.org/bench/

To see if they perform better. It shouldn't matter, though, given your test, as it sounds as though the plug-ins involved should be using all of the CPU.

Can you post your test project file (.RPP) so we can see what's going on there? Also, post your reaper.ini. If you prefer you can email these to support at cockos dot com. Thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
EnGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Might be interesting to compare the non-ICC builds of REAPER here:

https://landoleet.org/bench/

To see if they perform better. It shouldn't matter, though, given your test, as it sounds as though the plug-ins involved should be using all of the CPU.

Can you post your test project file (.RPP) so we can see what's going on there? Also, post your reaper.ini. If you prefer you can email these to support at cockos dot com. Thanks!
Thank you Justin for your reply.

I have tested both files in the link https://landoleet.org/bench/ for Windows 64bit, but it is the same result, so I returned to 5.77 and saved the project with three tracks of Korg Arp Odyssey with factory preset 30. There is only one note midi file for each track, and when played together, the CPU maxes above 100% (the RT indicator).

There are two files attached with this post, but if you find it better to contact the support, I will do that.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Reaper_Ryzen_KorgArpOdyssey.rpp (130.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: ini REAPER.ini (6.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #12
Philbo King

Seems like the mojo isn't Ryzen...
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Seems like the mojo isn't Ryzen...

Took me a second... bravo
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnGee View Post
Thank you Justin for your reply.

I have tested both files in the link https://landoleet.org/bench/ for Windows 64bit, but it is the same result, so I returned to 5.77 and saved the project with three tracks of Korg Arp Odyssey with factory preset 30. There is only one note midi file for each track, and when played together, the CPU maxes above 100% (the RT indicator).

There are two files attached with this post, but if you find it better to contact the support, I will do that.
Cool, have you tried enabling "live FX multiprocessing" in preferences/buffering? That should help you a lot (since those tracks are record armed).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:26 PM   #15
EnGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Cool, have you tried enabling "live FX multiprocessing" in preferences/buffering? That should help you a lot (since those tracks are record armed).
Oh thank you so much Justin! That solved the problem. Now Reaper can play 12 instances (just like Cubase, Live and FL Studio).

I need to post that in KVR thread as well Cheers mate and keep up the great work!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #16
Doc Brown

I'm glad you got it sorted. Regarding the "live fx multiprocessing" what is the ideal setting for this? I've read it can have a negative impact on audio and in this thread it seemed to have solved the problem. I'm not at my computer so I can't check the setting but I'm curious. Also, how many processor cores should be selected with this setting turned on? I'll try and do some more digging to get some answers.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
EvilDragon

It doesn't have a negative impact on audio itself. It can just result in slightly lower performance at the lowest latencies, that's all. Overall it's a benefit to have it enabled, IMHO.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #18
Doc Brown

Thanks ED
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
EnGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I'm glad you got it sorted. Regarding the "live fx multiprocessing" what is the ideal setting for this? I've read it can have a negative impact on audio and in this thread it seemed to have solved the problem. I'm not at my computer so I can't check the setting but I'm curious. Also, how many processor cores should be selected with this setting turned on? I'll try and do some more digging to get some answers.
I think the ideal setting is the number of cores that your processor supports (physical and virtual). In my case I just let it at default, which is 12. However, unless Justin enlighten us, nothing prevents from experiencing other settings
Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
C-H

Good to hear it was solved.
Continuing to plan Ryzen build.